What does Colossians 1:16 mean when it says "For by him were all things created..."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds completely wrong as this is NOT what we do.....nor are we encouraged to do that.

The wrong is on the part of the JW Elders sensing coercive squads. The wrong is not in my SIL telling the story.

Not sure about this either....? Why would he miss his HS graduation to get married?

This is not the fault of the JW Elders. He wanted to consummate his relationship with his fiance as soon as possible. So, he chose to get married at the time his HS class was having their graduation ceremony.

This sounds completely weird to me.....what standard did he fail to meet?

I’m sorry for what happened to him but it doesn’t ring true for me.....something is very wrong with this story.

I don't recall what standard he failed to meet but I think it had to do with his wife filing for divorce.

I would be interested to hear what he has to say actually.

Have you ever talked to a trauma victim? Until you have the experience it is hard to convey. Years ago some neighborhood boys I knew well were in my basement at 4 AM. My wife was about to go to work and let the dogs out. From the woods, these terrified 10-11 yo boys ran to the light terrified of gun shots from an argument between one of the boys older brother and their dad.

When the police arrived they treated the boys with appopriate kid gloves, saying matter of factly that they are going to need the boys to make a written statement. I retorted that they may not be able to give a coherent statement. The police officer did a double take. Why did I say that?

In the 45 minutes before the police arrived I listened to 4 traumaized 10 yo. The story they told was fragmented and highly nonlinear. One traumatic experience led them back and forth to other traumatic experiences. The boys were incapable of conveying what happened in chronological order. One said he almost threw up. Another said he DID throw up. I knew the boys for years. They came to my back yard fire pit 100's of times. I took them fishing and on hikes too. And I knew what was important at that time was to be a compassionate, patient, male that would not leave them in their hour of need. I offered them milk. They took it. I offered them something to eat. They were too upset to eat.

They fragmented, incoherent way of talking about an even is indicative of people who are traumatized. And this is how my SIL and his family members no longer JW talk about their experiences. One cousin said when they get together, they cannot help but relay and relive the trauma. So, don't think for one minute that I have some comprehensive report to provide to you. I know it is frustrating for you not to have the whole story.

Yes...after hearing all the evidence...not just one side of a story...right?

Moving the goal posts there sister! The point was about accepting testimony as true can ONLY happen if one is NOT an eye witness to.

Which half...the ones who support him, or the ones who no longer treat him like a brother, because he isn’t?

Sadly, the answer is that the JW Elders sent intimadation squads to both halves of his family; the half that were still practicing members, to reinfornce the shunning, breaking precedence in inviting him to family functions, as they had for 30 years; and the half that were recently disfellowshipped themselves. They were specifically warned "not to be a bad influence on him' at a dangerous or precarious time in his journey.

I’m sorry but there is so much wrong with this story......perhaps things are getting lost in translation or in transmission?

No ma'am. Just because you do not believe the story does not mean it is not true.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So my source, and my information was accurate. Maybe you can now dispense with the accusations of "misinformation, gossip, slander and lie."
It is as accurate as it was written at the time, but not so accurate when presented by our opposers who have an agenda....something in the brevity of the cuts and the delivery I guess....like I said...half truths are often worse than lies. Context is everything, and with us, we are constantly updating, so referring back to old publications that we no longer use is a bit pointless....anyone would think we considered our publication as if they were scripture....we don't.
We were told by Solomon that as the day dawned, the light on the path gets brighter......we can see that it does. (Proverbs 4:18)

If we stagnated in old and incomplete interpretations, we'd think something was wrong.

Charles Taze Russell taught that the full number of 144000 who would make it to heaven had been reached back in 1881.
Charles Taze Russel wrote a lots of things that have since been updated as new clarifications came to light. Harking back to old stuff is like reading old newspapers to us. It was news at the time, but has been updated many time since then. Sorry to spoil your "gotcha" moment. :hmhehm

I'm happy to cite my source-- which I reference because they so carefully cite the original sources-- JW doctrines directly. Watchtower doctrine regarding the 144,000 being a literal number
Yeah, I can see how carefully they try to make out that we don't believe what is true....but then Jesus did say he would appoint a "faithful and wise slave" to feed his household their "food at the proper time", (Matthew 24:45) which to us means that, what we need to know is given when we need to know it.....that is how it has always been with us. Clarifications are exciting as we see them confirmed.

We know who we believe the "slave" is, but if you know of another "slave" who is doing what Christ commanded for today...please let us know. :Broadly:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wrangler said:
Just because you do not believe the story does not mean it is not true.
Just because someone tells you bits of a story doesn't make it true either....because he is your SIL, I understand why you want to believe him, but looking at what you have said so far....from my side, talking about these so called "intimidation squads" is absolute nonsense. Not once in all my years as a JW have I heard of such a thing. It goes contrary to everything we believe. God does not want to coerce anyone...especially one who is seeking to leave the fold.....it may have simply been the elders wanting to understand what happened......we have no desire to keep company with someone who doesn't want to be with us. He is not our brother and the story he is telling is not right. There is something missing and I think its what he is leaving out that is the problem.

If he is your SIL, then has he married your daughter as his second wife? Is the first wife the one who left and didn't take the children?
confused0007.gif

I am trying to make sense of the story.

Are you equating your SIL's divorce with the trauma of the 10 year olds and guns? Seriously? His not wanting to share the details may have nothing to do with what the elders did or said. It is their responsibility to make judgments within the congregation, so I am wondering if the elders pressed him for details of his wife's actions.....not from the desire to pry but with the desire to try and help. It is their job after all.

Our standards for marriage and divorce are not worldly, but scriptural. We have no desire to be like the world and throw away our marriage partner.

Stating that he missed his HS graduation so that he could hasten the consummation of his marriage is a little difficult to understand.....was it a self control issue?

One cousin said when they get together, they cannot help but relay and relive the trauma. So, don't think for one minute that I have some comprehensive report to provide to you. I know it is frustrating for you not to have the whole story.
Forgive me please, but there must be so much more to this story.....it sounds ridiculous from our standpoint. But not unusual for those who are "ex's" to exaggerate the "trauma" and paint my brothers in a bad light, in order to justify themselves.....what "trauma" could there possibly be? Those big bad JW's....? Really? Crumbs...they're just men, and there are no guns....just some help offered on a 'take it or leave it' basis. No one is standing there with a big stick. When you know the rules before you sign up, who do you complain to when you break them?

If you couldn't tell the whole story, why bother even bringing it up? I think you know why......Frustrating is an understatement.
confused0036.gif

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does colossions mean , exactly what it says , by HIM were all things created .
Now lift those hands up and praise and thanksgiving unto the Glorious Lord .

All the things "created" in the list are not the earth and trees and sky that God created in the beginning, but rather the "thrones, powers, rulers and authorities, which are the positions that Christ needed to run his Church, which he created for that purpose because these are the things Jesus needed to administer his Church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All the things "created" in the list are not the earth and trees and sky that God created in the beginning, but rather the "thrones, powers, rulers and authorities...
Peter, are you willfully blind or willfully ignorant? Jesus is the Creator of ALL CREATION, and here is just one Scripture which clearly refers to "the Son" (but in the OT He is called "God" in the same passage).

10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: 11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; 12And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail. (Hebrews 1:10,11)

24 I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations. 25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. 26 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: 27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end. (Psalm 102:24-27)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the things "created" in the list are not the earth and trees and sky that God created in the beginning, but rather the "thrones, powers, rulers and authorities, which are the positions that Christ needed to run his Church, which he created for that purpose because these are the things Jesus needed to administer his Church.
You do live up to your name . You lag far behind peter and the apostels . ALL THINGS , MEAN ALL THINGS .
How did GOD create the world and all that is , HE SPOKE . NOW WHO IS THE WORD OF GOD . JESUS IS .
THUS JESUS DID CREATE , as the scriptures say , ALL THINGS . Lets not lag behind , LETS SURGE AHEAD with the truth and simplicity
of the WORD and words already written in the bible . LETS NOT allow men to TWIST STUFF . LETS LEARN FOR US .

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does colossions mean , exactly what it says , by HIM were all things created .
Now lift those hands up and praise and thanksgiving unto the Glorious Lord .
Well, that is some of what it says, but certainly not all.....are you cherry picking?

What is the rest of that passage?
Colossians 1:15-20.....
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven."

Now what does Paul tell us about Jesus? How do you read this passage in its entirety?
"He is the image of the invisible God"....how was he an "image" of his Father? Obviously you can't be the physical image of one who is invisible, so this means that Jesus is just like his Father in all the ways that make him "the son" of that Father. All he knew and all he taught, he said was from his Father, not himself. (John 14:10) He was a reflection of his Father in human form. That is what an "image" is.

As "the firstborn of ALL creation", he must be the beginning of what the Father brought into existence.
At Revelation 3:14 Jesus calls himself...."The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God". He is the very first of God's creation and thereafter the one who worked at his Father's side in the creation of everything else. (Proverbs 8:30-31)

"All things were created through him and for him"...if Jesus was God, that makes no sense. But if the son was the agency "through" whom all things were created by the Father, using the power of his holy spirit, then it certainly does.

"He is before all things"...does that mean he has to be God? Before there was any other creation, there was the son....his "firstborn". There is no purpose in calling a son your "firstborn" if there are no other children.....God created many sons, but none are like his unique firstborn.

God has always possessed his powerful spirit, and by means of it he created a unique son. And by means of it, the son assisted his Father in the creation of all other things. They are the "us" and "our" in Genesis. Only one of them is God....only one is the Creator who by his unbounded energy, created the raw materials with which the son 'fabricated' the whole of creation.

How is Jesus "firstborn from the dead"? He was the first human to be raised as a spirit upon his resurrection....no one went to heaven before Jesus. (John 3:13)

Note the next part of that verse...."so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything".
How can Almighty God "come to have" first place in everything when as the Supreme deity, he already had first place in everything?

It was "the Father's good pleasure for all fullness to dwell in him"....IOW it pleased God to impart power and majesty to his son, such as the Father himself has......"and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself. The Father reconciles all things to HIMSELF "through" his son's redeeming sacrifice.

You seem to have no real recognition of what you are reading....its all there in plain sight but there is this 'blindness' that seems to invade every scripture used to support your doctrine.

You are not seeing what I see even when I point it out......do you know why?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that is some of what it says, but certainly not all.....are you cherry picking?

What is the rest of that passage?
Colossians 1:15-20.....
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven."

Now what does Paul tell us about Jesus? How do you read this passage in its entirety?
"He is the image of the invisible God"....how was he an "image" of his Father? Obviously you can't be the physical image of one who is invisible, so this means that Jesus is just like his Father in all the ways that make him "the son" of that Father. All he knew and all he taught, he said was from his Father, not himself. (John 14:10) He was a reflection of his Father in human form. That is what an "image" is.

As "the firstborn of ALL creation", he must be the beginning of what the Father brought into existence.
At Revelation 3:14 Jesus calls himself...."The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God". He is the very first of God's creation and thereafter the one who worked at his Father's side in the creation of everything else. (Proverbs 8:30-31)

"All things were created through him and for him"...if Jesus was God, that makes no sense. But if the son was the agency "through" whom all things were created by the Father, using the power of his holy spirit, then it certainly does.

"He is before all things"...does that mean he has to be God? Before there was any other creation, there was the son....his "firstborn". There is no purpose in calling a son your "firstborn" if there are no other children.....God created many sons, but none are like his unique firstborn.

God has always possessed his powerful spirit, and by means of it he created a unique son. And by means of it, the son assisted his Father in the creation of all other things. They are the "us" and "our" in Genesis. Only one of them is God....only one is the Creator who by his unbounded energy, created the raw materials with which the son 'fabricated' the whole of creation.

How is Jesus "firstborn from the dead"? He was the first human to be raised as a spirit upon his resurrection....no one went to heaven before Jesus. (John 3:13)

Note the next part of that verse...."so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything".
How can Almighty God "come to have" first place in everything when as the Supreme deity, he already had first place in everything?

It was "the Father's good pleasure for all fullness to dwell in him"....IOW it pleased God to impart power and majesty to his son, such as the Father himself has......"and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself. The Father reconciles all things to HIMSELF "through" his son's redeeming sacrifice.

You seem to have no real recognition of what you are reading....its all there in plain sight but there is this 'blindness' that seems to invade every scripture used to support your doctrine.

You are not seeing what I see even when I point it out......do you know why?
I Leave the cherry picking to JW , mormons , CC and a heap of others .

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One cousin said when they get together, they cannot help but relay and relive the trauma. So, don't think for one minute that I have some comprehensive report to provide to you. I know it is frustrating for you not to have the whole story.

If he is your SIL, then has he married your daughter as his second wife? Is the first wife the one who left and didn't take the children?
confused0007.gif
I am trying to make sense of the story.

You are getting lost in the details - that I do not even have nor do they change the essential facts. Funny that I admitted that I do not have a comprehensive report to give yet you keep asking me comprehensive questions. :rolleyes:

Are you equating your SIL's divorce with the trauma of the 10 year olds and guns? Seriously? His not wanting to share the details may have nothing to do with what the elders did or said.

No. I am glad you recall the story of the 10 yo with the guns. That child's mother is my SIL's cousin. I think she is overly permissive as a REACTION to the trauma of being controlled by JW's for years. She admits she is 'a hot mess.'

Stating that he missed his HS graduation so that he could hasten the consummation of his marriage is a little difficult to understand.....was it a self control issue?

Surely.

It shows his attempt to balance his constraints.

Forgive me please, but there must be so much more to this story.....it sounds ridiculous from our standpoint. But not unusual for those who are "ex's" to exaggerate the "trauma" and paint my brothers in a bad light, in order to justify themselves.....what "trauma" could there possibly be?

It is rational to start at the other end of the spectrum. There is trauma. I've observed it first hand from him and several of his family members. and it may take years, if not decades for he and his family to transcend it.

If you couldn't tell the whole story, why bother even bringing it up? I think you know why......Frustrating is an understatement.

Because I know a former JW who is a broken shell of a man who is my granddaughter's father. His aversion for anything to do with religion will negatively affect her spiritual growth and his 3 children's spiritual growth from his 1st marriage.

I am his FIL, not an investigator or his psychologist. It is not my job to get the whole story. My job is to support my daughter's family, not grill them for trivial details. Much of what I experienced directly and what he conveyed is accurately shown in the movie Apostasy, Apostasy (2017) - IMDb

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Peter, are you willfully blind or willfully ignorant?
Some of us wonder the same thing about you Enoch....:ummm:

Jesus is the Creator of ALL CREATION, and here is just one Scripture which clearly refers to "the Son" (but in the OT He is called "God" in the same passage).

10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: 11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; 12And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail. (Hebrews 1:10,11)
How much research have you really done on the scriptures you post Enoch?
Hebrews 1:10-11.....(NKJV)
You can see that Paul is quoting the Hebrew scriptures, but what is he saying if you take the context into consideration?
Hebrews 1:1-2 for e.g.
"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds[ages]."

This talks about the son being "appointed heir of all things".....How does God appoint himself as an heir? What is he inheriting that he does not already have, if he is God?

V10-11....

"And,
You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the works of Your hands;
11 They will perish, but You remain;
And they all will become old like a garment"...

Who is Paul speaking about? Verse 9 brings it out....
"But to the Son He says:

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Is God the one who anoints himself here?
Could the phrasing there be a bit misleading? If you take it the way you believe it to be, there are serious contradictions.

24 I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations. 25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. 26 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: 27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end. (Psalm 102:24-27)
This was addressed to Yahweh, David's God....but David knew who his "Lord" was as he prophesied in Psalm 110:1-2...
"The LORD said to my Lord,

Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”
2 The Lord shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion.
Rule in the midst of Your enemies!"

"The LORD" there is Yahweh but the other "Lord" is the Messiah...the one whom the Jews were looking forward to, to set things right with God.

David prophesied that once Messiah's earthly mission was complete, his Lord Messiah would "sit at the right hand of God" to wait for a foretold situation.
God was to 'make his enemies his footstool'....under his feet. And he was then to "rule in the mist of his enemies".

The rulership of God's Kingdom was to begin with opposition...trouble caused by his enemies, but he would conquer them and take rulership of this earth back to God. A thousand years of the Kingdom's rule and mankind will be free of sin and ready to begin what God had started all those thousands of years ago (Isaiah 55:11)....but not before one final test from the original rebel .(Revelation 20:1-3)

You have to have the big picture, not just out of focus pixels dotted all over the place.

Some of us see it quite clearly, but that has nothing to do with us...it is God who grants us wisdom and insight in this "time of the end". No one can come to the son without an invitation from his Father. (John 6:65)

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do live up to your name . You lag far behind peter and the apostels . ALL THINGS , MEAN ALL THINGS .
How did GOD create the world and all that is , HE SPOKE . NOW WHO IS THE WORD OF GOD . JESUS IS .
THUS JESUS DID CREATE , as the scriptures say , ALL THINGS . Lets not lag behind , LETS SURGE AHEAD with the truth and simplicity
of the WORD and words already written in the bible . LETS NOT allow men to TWIST STUFF . LETS LEARN FOR US .

It tells you right in the same verse that all things are visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter, are you willfully blind or willfully ignorant? Jesus is the Creator of ALL CREATION, and here is just one Scripture which clearly refers to "the Son" (but in the OT He is called "God" in the same passage).

It does not say "the Son"
It says "Lord"
And the last verse you mention says "O my God"
Nowhere it the 2 above verses that you quote does it say Jesus or the Son.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are getting lost in the details - that I do not even have nor do they change the essential facts. Funny that I admitted that I do not have a comprehensive report to give yet you keep asking me comprehensive questions. :rolleyes:
I am just trying to understand why you have adversely judged my brotherhood on the hear-say of a few ex JW family members. The devil is in the details so they are important otherwise you are guilty of slander....spreading lies about my brotherhood based on hear-say...and you brought it up...remember?

These one sided stories are a dime a dozen on the net....told by "poor me" victims of those terrible JW's....but no one tells the other side of the story. That was my only aim....to present the facts and not to just swallow the suggestions made by those who might have an ax to grind and are only telling part of a story.
We all know how easy it is to see the faults in others, but not in ourselves. If you have ever been on the receiving end of an "ex"s" opinion of you, you will know how true that is.

No. I am glad you recall the story of the 10 yo with the guns. That child's mother is my SIL's cousin. I think she is overly permissive as a REACTION to the trauma of being controlled by JW's for years. She admits she is 'a hot mess.'
There are millions of people in the world who are a "hot mess" right now from all kinds of real "trauma", but those who want to complain about being "controlled" by JW's are not telling the whole truth, pure and simple. The old saying was, "you made your bed now you have to lie in it". But these days that is not the case...they just want to change the soiled bedding as if it doesn't matter how it got dirty.

The "bed" when one wishes to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses, is to follow the rules laid out in the scriptures for those who wish to become a disciple of Christ....they are all clear and unambiguous if you know what you are reading. IOW, you cannot contravene any of Christ's teachings and then claim ignorance, because you knew them before you 'signed up'.

Baptism for us is not an empty ritual, nor is it something forced on us...it must come from a willing heart, determined to fight the fleshly inclinations and to become a faithful "soldier of Christ"....we are in a battle and the ones fighting against us are powerful, and will use all means of propaganda to influence others against us....Jesus warned that this would be the case, but he said that good hearts would also hear the message and respond. (John 15:18-21)
If one 'signs up' to be a soldier of any government, do they get to make their own rules? Or are they under the command of their superiors?
Do they get to pick and choose what they will, or will not do? Would Christ expect any less? He didn't say it was a cramped and narrow road for nothing.

We have all heard the stories told by a friend's cousin's sister in law's hairdresser....but more fool us if we listen to such stories and spread them, unless we hear the other side and can make an impartial judgment. Can you make a judgment without hearing what really happened from the other side of your family's story? Maybe what you have heard is selected truth....half truth is actually no truth at all.

Apparently you have bought into their story and its a shame that what was NOT told to you is probably what they don't want known.
How do you solicit sympathy when you brought all of your problems on yourself by ignoring scriptural counsel? Do you know if that is what happened?

It shows his attempt to balance his constraints.
Sorry, but it suggests other things to me. Since when is a High School kid ready for marriage......because he was in a hurry to have sex...?

It is rational to start at the other end of the spectrum. There is trauma. I've observed it first hand from him and several of his family members. and it may take years, if not decades for he and his family to transcend it.
What if the trauma was more about having your cake and eating it too? So many people want to take their mistakes and sweep them under the rug....we don't do that. For God, there is no rug. If you have something to hide, it won't be hidden from Him. Best to tell the whole truth because that is what Jehovah knows already.

Because I know a former JW who is a broken shell of a man who is my granddaughter's father. His aversion for anything to do with religion will negatively affect her spiritual growth and his 3 children's spiritual growth from his 1st marriage.
What if he brought it all on himself because he wanted to do what he wanted, instead of following Christ's teachings? This is what the elders would have told him.....not to follow their advice, but to follow what God's word says? All the ex's in the world are now watching their governments collapsing under the weight of gross mismanagement of the planet and in every facet of life in general for everyone....they know the truth and it scares the heck out of them because they are not right with God....and by their own choices they have abandoned him in favor of doing their own thing. IF that is the case, any wonder that they are shells of their former selves. Were they shells when they were JW's in good standing? Did their brothers and sisters treat them badly? Or was it only after their defection that they were deemed to be unfit company?

I am his FIL, not an investigator or his psychologist. It is not my job to get the whole story. My job is to support my daughter's family, not grill them for trivial details. Much of what I experienced directly and what he conveyed is accurately shown in the movie Apostasy,
Do you know what apostasy is? The Jews accused Paul of apostasy....but was he guilty? He was, but only to the Jews from their viewpoint.

Do you know the damage that is cause by unsubstantiated gossip? God does, and if we helped to spread it, then what does that say about us?
You don't have to be his psychologist to buy into a sob story. You want to believe him and I now understand your animosity towards JW's, but from the other side I can tell you that we are by no means perfect, but we try harder than most to hold to the teachings and principles of God taught through his son in our everyday lives. It is all God asks of us. When we step outside of those teachings and principles, we are on our own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How does God appoint himself as an heir? What is he inheriting that he does not already have, if he is God?
Well God THE FATHER appoints God THE SON. And God THE SON inherits all things from God THE FATHER. That is how simple it is.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well God THE FATHER appoints God THE SON. And God THE SON inherits all things from God THE FATHER. That is how simple it is.
You have two gods there, Yahweh is one....not two or three. (Deuteronomy 6:4)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 3:19
Says ...that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Does that make me God?
Each man has a measure . YET the BODY is CHRIST we are but members of that body .
NO it dont make us GOD . Yet in each member dwells the Spirit of CHRIST . or as paul would also say the Spirit of GOD .
GOD is HIS SPIRIT , HE IS HIS WORD . His essence . And His essence is given us by the Spirit which does indwell us .
YET we are not the SPIRIT , YET CHRIST IS THE SPIRIT . Exactly . Learn to rightly divide my friend .
In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with GOD and the Word is God . That simply cannot be denied .
The problem is men come along and always try and twist that which is so simple in order to justify a teaching THEY THINK is some
great revelation that must be shared with man . IF our revelation contradicts what is plainly written
MY ADVICE IS dont heed it , cause it wasnt coming from GOD but rather from men and our own minds .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's important to note the context of the verse and why it's written and placed where it is. Reading the book of Colossians reveals that the Colossians Church had lost its focus on Christ. Some of the believers at Colosse had in practice forsaken their connection with the head who is Jesus Christ, and some were even being led to worship angels (2:18-19). The situation in Colosse called for a strong reminder of Christ's headship over his Church and the Epistle to the Colossians provided just that. There is no definitive reason to believe the believers in Colosse were Trinitarian. A thorough reading of Acts shows that no Apostle or teacher in Acts ever presented the Trinity on their witnessing itineraries. Instead they presented that Jesus was "...a man approved of God..." (Acts 2:22), God's "servant Jesus" (Acts 3:13), God's "Prince" (Acts 5:31), the "one anointed" (Acts 10:38), the "Son of God" (Acts 9:20). Acts has no presentation to new Christians that Jesus was God, nor was there any formal presentation of the Trinity and Colosse was reached with the Word during the Acts period. This is an important background because Trinitarians read Colossians about Christ creating and think it refers to Jesus creating the earth in the beginning.

People are often confused by Colossians 1:16 because it says "For by him [Jesus] all things were created..." When we read the word "create" we usually think about the original creation in Genesis, but there are other ways the word is used in Scripture. For example, Christians are "new creations" (2 Corinthians 5:17). After the resurrection, God delegated to Christ the authority to create, and when we read the Epistles we see evidence of Jesus creating things for his Church. Ephesians 2:15 refers to Christ creating "one new man" (his Body, the Church) out of Jew and Gentile. In pouring out the gift of holy spirit to each believer (Acts 2:33 and 38). The Lord Jesus has created something new in each of them, which is the "new man" their new nature (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 6:15; Ephesians 4:24). Not only did Jesus create his Church out of Jew and Gentile, he had to create the structure and positions that would allow it to function, both in the spiritual world (positions for the angels that would minister to the Church... see Revelation 1:1 "his angel"). And in the physical world (positions and ministries here on earth... see Romans 12:4-8; Ephesians 4:7-11). The Bible describes these physical and spiritual realities by the phrase, "...things in heaven and on the earth, visible and invisible. Jesus was not around in the beginning to create the heavens and the earth, but he did create the "all things" that pertain to his Body, which is the Church of God.

We are in a position to more fully understand verse 16 once we understand that Jesus created things for the Church. The word "all" is used in the Bible in a limited sense just the way we also use it today. My wife told me the kids ate all the cookies. She did not mean the kids ate all the cookies in the world, but rather just the cookies that were in the house. 2 Samuel 17:14 says "...all the men of Israel..." agreed on advice when Absalom held a council against his father David. "All" the men of Israel did not agree with Absalom, but all the men who were there with him did. Jeremiah 26:8 says "all the people" seized Jeremiah to put him to death. All the people did not mean all the people on the planet, but rather all the people who were there. Understand? One must determine from the context if "all" is being used in the wide sense of "all in the universe" or in the narrow sense of "all in a specific" context. I believe the narrow sense is being applied in Colossians 1:16 when it says Jesus created "all" things for his Church and not "all" things in the universe.

Colossians 1:16
For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on the earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

All the things "created" in this list are not the earth and trees and sky that God created in the beginning, but rather the "thrones, powers, rulers and authorities, which are the positions that Christ needed to run his Church, which he created for that purpose because these are the things Jesus needed to administer his Church. The Colossians believers had lost their focus on Christ as the head of the Church and Colossians 1:16 elevates Christ to his rightful position as Lord by noting that he was the one who created the powers and authorities in the Church.

This is foolishness, reaching, trying to distort and twist what the scriptures says and this scripture plainly says Jesus is the CREATOR OF EVERYTHING. It is a thorn in the side for the non-Trinnitarians, so they struggle with this and many other passages that clearly describe Jesus as GOD.
The Book of John reveals Jesus deity. But the entire Bible reflects this as well. It is ALL about Him. If He wasn't God, God's Word would not put so much emphasis on Him. Jesus could not be a Savior if He wasn't God. It requires omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence. A mere man could not take on the sins of the world no a goat could carry sins of the Israelites. Jesus became sin! Think about that. He had to be aware of all sins for all time - trillions. He felt the wait, burden, guilt of all sins. We individually are not even aware of all our own sins. A savior, as in a hero of many people can be attributed to one man but not to all humanity for all time.
To think that God could give a mere man all authority in heaven and on earth, all power and all knowledge is not possible. You must be all mighty God to hold that position. It would be like giving Lassy responsibility to watch over every farm animal and little child. Just to possess the capacity of knowledge of EVERYTHING is far beyond all the angels and humans put together. The power is as well. Wherever two pray in Jesus name, He is there. So He is omnipresent. That is also the ability of the Holy Spirit, Who glorifies Jesus and brings to remembrance everything He taught us, nothing more, nothing less.
I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE.
Think about that one statement. Look to Him get to God. He is the WAY, the path to God, because He is God. None of the prophets ever made claims like Jesus did. We are to relate to God and Jesus was the exact expression and illumination of God in the flesh. We have a relationship with Jesus is the same as saying we have a relationship with God.
He wasn't just a man but was also a Spiritual Being who was previously glorified with the Father prior to His birth.
Truth means reality, what is real. In Him all things consist (are held together). That means every atom in the universe. Col. 1:17 confirms this.
Jesus is the life. Not just physical life, but spiritual life. He has the power to resurrect 2.68 billion Christians (or whatever 1/3 of the population of the planet is at His return) as He did himself. Believing in Him holds the promise of eternal life. That equates with believing in God.
"I and the Father are One." He is saying that He is God. A mere man cannot make that claim. He wasn't just saying He was one with God's purpose.
Exodus 3:14 was God's introduction ( I Am) to Moses and the Israelites that would later be fully revealed in Christ.
Jesus would not make all these claims as about himself if He was not God, the source of Life! He would have removed all focus on himself and directed it to the Father.
Hw would have substituted all the following verses with His Father:

I am the way, the Truth and the life ...
I am the Bread of life
I am the Good Shepherd ...
I am the Resurrection and the Life ...
I am the Door ...
I am the Vine ...
I am the Alpha and Omega
I am He ...

He is the Savior, the Messiah, the Light of the world, God

Status
Not open for further replies.