What does Colossians 1:16 mean when it says "For by him were all things created..."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Reactions: Wrangler

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Good to be thankful for Tyndale; the King James is 9/10 Tyndale, apparently....

There’s a significant difference between English translations published prior to 1611 and KJV in 1611.

The prologue in the Gospel of John is exhibit A.

I’ve been blessed to see most of them in person, thanks to having access to a private collector who exhibited them to a small group at a conference in Atlanta.

They can all be accessed and read online by anyone who is interested in doing so.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously, if you have a boss, you are not in authority, you are a slave to your boss. Jesus is God, preexisted with the Father and the Holy Spirit. All three were present at His baptism, Jesus got dunked, the Father spoke and the Holy Spirit descended. The pre-incarnate Jesus is the creator, all things were created by him, through him and for him. The Father refers to Him as God. (Hebrews 1:8) He is equal to the Father. But He relingquished that (put aside) glory temporarilty and became a man and submitted to the Father and accomplished His purpose.
The mystery of God has existed since the Fall of Man. It was God's purpose to come down and personally reveal Himself to us, face to face. So it happened and they saw Him and they referred to Him as Emmanuel, "God with us".
You are certainly not a cat, but some may think you are a donkey for your view. Since you do not indentify Jesus as God, then of course it would follow that you do not worship Him or give Him His full recognition that He deserves. Why would you? To view Him as lesser of a being than He is, is degrading and a dishonor to Him. When every knee bows to Him, we will be worshipping God in all the fullness of His Glory, not just an earthly King of Kings, Lord of Lords.

Why in the world would God want to be a man (which He can't because He's God) and put aside His God Head? What purpose would that serve? Do you have just one verse to answer this question?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously, if you have a boss, you are not in authority, you are a slave to your boss. Jesus is God, preexisted with the Father and the Holy Spirit. All three were present at His baptism, Jesus got dunked, the Father spoke and the Holy Spirit descended. The pre-incarnate Jesus is the creator, all things were created by him, through him and for him. The Father refers to Him as God. (Hebrews 1:8) He is equal to the Father. But He relingquished that (put aside) glory temporarilty and became a man and submitted to the Father and accomplished His purpose.
The mystery of God has existed since the Fall of Man. It was God's purpose to come down and personally reveal Himself to us, face to face. So it happened and they saw Him and they referred to Him as Emmanuel, "God with us".
You are certainly not a cat, but some may think you are a donkey for your view. Since you do not indentify Jesus as God, then of course it would follow that you do not worship Him or give Him His full recognition that He deserves. Why would you? To view Him as lesser of a being than He is, is degrading and a dishonor to Him. When every knee bows to Him, we will be worshipping God in all the fullness of His Glory, not just an earthly King of Kings, Lord of Lords.

I don't think you realize what you're saying. That God Almighty with all of His power and everything that He has and I mean it's all very big stuff. That something like that would come down here and let someone like me spit on Him. You can't be serious.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why in the world would God want to be a man (which He can't because He's God) and put aside His God Head? What purpose would that serve? Do you have just one verse to answer this question?
To suffer, serve and die for us. A humble God came down to us, to live on our level, to relate directly to us, so mankind could experience God up close and personal.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you realize what you're saying. That God Almighty with all of His power and everything that He has and I mean it's all very big stuff. That something like that would come down here and let someone like me spit on Him. You can't be serious.
97% of 2.67 billion Christians are serious about that.
He's coming back soon, not to be spit on, but to judge the world. Then you can ask Him yourself, if you can handle that?

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
97% of 2.67 billion Christians are serious about that.
He's coming back soon, not to be spit on, but to judge the world. Then you can ask Him yourself, if you can handle that?

One of my joys in life is wondering if there will be 2.67 billion people asking why He could not get the right answers to them. And then I hope some of those 97% will be sent to me so I can remind them that I did try.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To suffer, serve and die for us. A humble God came down to us, to live on our level, to relate directly to us, so mankind could experience God up close and personal.

Since I work close with the Christ there are some things that I just know about God. And one of those things is that He is not humble. He does not have anything that would be considered humble. Find me a verse anywhere that says God is or was ever humble. Old Testament, New Testament... anywhere.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my joys in life is wondering if there will be 2.67 billion people asking why He could not get the right answers to them. And then I hope some of those 97% will be sent to me so I can remind them that I did try.
So for 1000 years, that will be your occupation, instructiong the Trinitarians, while you feel elated with each and every student? A prideful arrogance _ a smile of condescension _ looking down on all the ignorant people? No, this is another delusion, for all will be filled with the knowledge of the LORD. But of course, you are just being facetious ... hopefully?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I work close with the Christ there are some things that I just know about God. And one of those things is that He is not humble. He does not have anything that would be considered humble. Find me a verse anywhere that says God is or was ever humble. Old Testament, New Testament... anywhere.
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
My favorite passage btw.
Since the Father and Jessus are One and Jesus is the exact expression and illumination of God, then this is His nature.
"I stand at the door and knock, if anyone opens the door, I will come in and sup with them". This is a God of humility. He doesn't demand that you open the door of your heart, He asks and politely for years and decades, knocks until they answer.
Humility is part of His character and this He stresses that we must be humble. The opposite of humility is pride, the worst sin. If God was prideful, there would be not much room for grace, forgiveness, mercy,; for I believe these qualities are seated in humility.
We were made in His image and this I believe is His Spirit and Soul. The "fruit of the Spirit"/ spiritual growth, requires humility. We must come to Him in humility to be saved, so obviously this is very much a part of His LOVE. Wisdom requires humility too.
Wow the things you do not understand about God - because of your view of Jesus.
Job 23:29
Isaiah 57:15
Psalm 25:9
Paslam 238:6
Zeph. 2:3
James 4:6
1 Peter 5:5

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
My favorite passage btw.
Since the Father and Jessus are One and Jesus is the exact expression and illumination of God, then this is His nature.
"I stand at the door and knock, if anyone opens the door, I will come in and sup with them". This is a God of humility. He doesn't demand that you open the door of your heart, He asks and politely for years and decades, knocks until they answer.
Humility is part of His character and this He stresses that we must be humble. The opposite of humility is pride, the worst sin. If God was prideful, there would be not much room for grace, forgiveness, mercy,; for I believe these qualities are seated in humility.
We were made in His image and this I believe is His Spirit and Soul. The "fruit of the Spirit"/ spiritual growth, requires humility. We must come to Him in humility to be saved, so obviously this is very much a part of His LOVE. Wisdom requires humility too.
Wow the things you do not understand about God - because of your view of Jesus.
Job 23:29
Isaiah 57:15
Psalm 25:9
Paslam 238:6
Zeph. 2:3
James 4:6
1 Peter 5:5

My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-29

*** Jesus said this... not God

The "fruit of the Spirit"/ spiritual growth, requires humility.

*** I disagree. The fruit of the spirit requires nothing. Wow the things you do not understand about God - because of your view of Jesus.

*** There is no Job 23:29
*** I have no idea how you get God is humble out of Isaiah 57:15
*** Not saying God is humble Psalm 25:9
*** There is no Paslam 238:6
*** Does not say God is humble Zeph. 2:3
*** Does not say God is humble James 4:6
*** Does not say God is humble 1 Peter 5:5

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some stuff on the Holy Spirit

There are many descriptions, titles, and names for God in the Bible and I would like to add God’s proper name is “Yahweh” which occurs more than 6,000 times in the Hebrew Old Testament and is generally translated as “LORD.” But God is also referred to as Elohim, Adonai, El Shaddai, the Ancient of Days, the Holy One of Israel, Father, Shield, and by many more designations. Furthermore, God is holy (Leviticus 11:44), which is why He was called “the Holy One” (the Hebrew text uses the singular adjective “holy” to designate “the Holy One." He is also spirit (John 4:24). It makes perfect sense since God is holy and God is spirit that “Holy” and “Spirit” are sometimes combined and used as one of the many designations for God. Thus, the Hebrew or Greek words for the "HOLY SPIRIT" should be brought into English as the "Holy Spirit” when the subject of a verse is God.

None of the dozens of descriptions, titles, or names of God are believed to be a separate, co-equal “Person” in a triune God except for the “HOLY SPIRIT” and there is no solid biblical reason to make the "Holy Spirit” into a separate “Person.” In other contexts the “HOLY SPIRIT” refers to the gift of God’s nature that He placed on people and the new birth to the Christian, and in those contexts it should be translated as the “holy spirit." God placed a form of His nature which is “holy spirit” upon people when He wanted to spiritually empower them because our natural fleshly human bodies do not have spirit power of their own. This holy spirit nature of God was a gift from God to humankind and we see this in the case of Acts 2:38 when the spirit is specifically called a "gift" when given to the Christian.

God put the holy spirit upon Jesus immediately after he was baptized by John the Baptist because Jesus himself needed God’s gift of the holy spirit to have supernatural power just as the leaders and prophets of the Old Testament did. This fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies that God would put the holy spirit upon the Messiah enabling him in his ministry. The gift of the holy spirit was born “in” believers (John 14:17) after the Day of Pentecost rather than resting “upon” them and this is one reason why Christians are said to be “born again” of God’s spirit (1 Peter 1:3, 23). Christians have spiritual power when they receive the gift of the holy spirit (Acts 1:8) because the holy spirit is born in them and becomes part of their very nature, and this is why Christians are called God’s “holy ones” which is usually translated as “saints” in the New Testament.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-29

*** Jesus said this... not God

The "fruit of the Spirit"/ spiritual growth, requires humility.

*** I disagree. The fruit of the spirit requires nothing. Wow the things you do not understand about God - because of your view of Jesus.

*** There is no Job 23:29
*** I have no idea how you get God is humble out of Isaiah 57:15
*** Not saying God is humble Psalm 25:9
*** There is no Paslam 238:6
*** Does not say God is humble Zeph. 2:3
*** Does not say God is humble James 4:6
*** Does not say God is humble 1 Peter 5:5
Jesus did say Matt. 11:28-30. Since He is the exact expression of God, how is His Father any different?
Humility is required to be saved/ born again. You can't be prideful when you come to God
Some of those verses are charges to us, to be humble, which is Christlike, godly.
Oops, correction >>> Psalm 138:6 & Job 22:29
Isaiah 57:15 " ...with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, ..."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did say Matt. 11:28-30. Since He is the exact expression of God, how is His Father any different?
Humility is required to be saved/ born again. You can't be prideful when you come to God
Some of those verses are charges to us, to be humble, which is Christlike, godly.

Well, let's look at these three verses...

Isaiah 57:15...
Who is the "high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy that dwells in the high and holy place"?
Who is "him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit"? Which one is God?

Psalm 138:6... Does not say God is humble.

Job 22:29... Does not say God is humble.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think the trinity folks are missing a whole lot of stuff on how they understand the Scriptures. By that I mean God cannot be humble which is why there's no verse anywhere in the Bible that says He can be. Just sit back and think about what God being humble would mean. Who would He be humble to? Who would He bow to? Who would He submit to?

Status
Not open for further replies.