What does "walk worthy of God" mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to walk worthy of the Lord? (Colossians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:12)

Was about to not reply anymore but then saw this. Maybe it will help...maybe not.

(Galatians 5:1-11) all of it but especially “is the offence of the cross ceased.”

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. [2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. [3] For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. [4] Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. [5] For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. [6] For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love. [7] Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? [8] This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. [9] A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. [10] I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be. [11] And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.”

You asked what does it mean to walk worthy...to be persecuted for the offense of the cross?

Galatians 6:12
[12] As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.

2 Timothy 3:10-12
But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, [11] Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. [12] Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Acts 5:41
[41] And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Reactions: faithfulness

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been there before...same question different thread.

LoL. You never gave me an answer there, either, Victory.

But let me try one more time here. You didn't even acknowledge this question, let alone answer it. Here it is again, and it is plain and simple:

The verses in the OP are a command to walk worthy of God. If those Paul was writing to were the redeemed, then according to your teaching their worthiness had already been imputed to them. Why then would Paul be giving them a command to walk worthy of God if they were already walking worthy of God?

Come on, Victory. Give me an answer : )

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. You never gave me an answer there, either, Victory.

But let me try one more time here. You didn't even acknowledge this question, let alone answer it. Here it is again, and it is plain and simple:

The verses in the OP are a command to walk worthy of God. If those Paul was writing to were the redeemed, then according to your teaching their worthiness had already been imputed to them. Why then would Paul be giving them a command to walk worthy of God if they were already walking worthy of God?

Come on, Victory. Give me an answer : )

It is an exhortation.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Maybe you assume I believe it is instant and then that is it...go back to living life as usual “I’m saved”? That is not what I’m saying. Paul spoke to those he referred to as yet carnal, some babes in Christ, some further along...and Paul was always encouraging them on. The verse you gave in OP in the context one would have to be be blind to not see it is the fruit of the Spirit that is through the passage. Colossians 1:6-11 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it , and knew the grace of God in truth: [7] As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ; [8] Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit. [9] For this cause we also, since the day we heard it , do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; [10] That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; [11] Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is an exhortation.

An exhortation... what then do you believe happens to those who do not walk worthy of God? Where is their eternity spent?
Maybe you assume I believe it is instant and then that is it...go back to living life as usual “I’m saved”? That is not what I’m saying. Paul spoke to those he referred to as yet carnal, some babes in Christ, some further along...and Paul was always encouraging them on. The verse you gave in OP in the context one would have to be be blind to not see it is the fruit of the Spirit that is through the passage. Colossians 1:6-11 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it , and knew the grace of God in truth: [7] As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ; [8] Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit. [9] For this cause we also, since the day we heard it , do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; [10] That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; [11] Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

You seem to be saying that those who are mature in Christ walk worthy of God whereas those who are babes in Christ do not. Is that what you are saying?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be saying that those who are mature in Christ walk worthy of God whereas those who are babes in Christ do not. Is that what you are saying?

No. I’m saying it is His work. But not denying He teaches each differently for His purposes.

Philippians 1:6
[6] Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 5:8-9
[8] Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to walk worthy of the Lord? (Colossians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:12)
St Anthony the Great was once asked a similar* question. This is what he said:

Wherever you may be, always have God before your eyes. Whatever you do, do it according to the testimony of the Holy Scriptures. In whatever place (condition) you live, do not easily leave it (1 Corinthians 7:20).​

It may be a simple question with a seemingly simple answer, but the part about doing everything according to the testimony of the scriptures, a lifetime is barely enough to figure out, even for the most discerning and zealous. Those who excuse themselves from actively practicing God's commandments on the pretext of avoiding boasting and self-esteem are doing great harm to themselves by denying the very process by which one grows spiritually. Yes, it is wrong to rely on our works to save us and boast about our accomplishments, as if God's Grace did not provide (1 Corinthians 4:7), but to avoid works altogether (even expecting Christ to somehow perform them for us without our cooperation) is nothing short of negligence. The former corrupts treasures (earned talents/lamp oil) that have been amassed, while negligence does not even let you collect them. Negligence is like a drought in which nothing grows. Self-esteem damages those who have fruit, who have made some progress; whereas negligence harms everyone. It impedes those who want to make a start, it stops those who have advanced, it does not allow the ignorant to learn, it prevents those who have gone astray from returning, it does not permit the fallen to get up – in general, negligence spells destruction for all those it holds captive.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An exhortation... what then do you believe happens to those who do not walk worthy of God? Where is their eternity spent?

What are you wanting some agreement it is up to an individual to walk worthy when without the Spirit it is not possible to walk worthy? Matthew 10:38
[38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

He that does not follow after me to death...is not worthy. Death and resurrection unto Life. If the Spirit is there and one is born again of God...God promises the He who begun a work will finish it. Philippians 1:28-29 And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God. [29] For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What must one do in order to please God?"

Without faith it is impossible to please God. What is faith if not to enter into His rest which He said they would not enter because of unbelief.

Hebrews 11:6
[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 4:2-5
[2] For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it . [3] For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. [4] For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. [5] And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

What is to enter into His rest? Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

So whose work is it? Whose work is it; if the one entered into His death has ceased from his own works?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone else? I was in particular hoping to hear from Calvinists on what they believe about this phrase. Maybe @Preacher4Truth, @Waiting on him, or @Anthony D'Arienzo. Anyone?
To walk worthy...is simply put ...to live worthy of who we are in Christ.
You see this in Eph 5....walk or live as children of light.
In Eph2:10...we are saved unto holiness of life in good works that were ORDAINED that we should walk in them.
Following the first Exodus, Israel's failure to be a worthy example failed Deut4. -7
In the new exodus real Christians are led by the Spirity to mortify sin and live for God.

Reactions: Helen

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...What is to enter into His rest? Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
I answered that question here. Basically it means to stop sinning in action, word and thought. Until then, we have a lot of work to do (Hebrews 4:11, 2 Peter 1:5-11).
So whose work is it? Whose work is it; if the one entered into His death has ceased from his own works?
It is ours (Christ's and us). If it weren't so, why does St Paul say "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest?"

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can give my ideas on this, not much more than that.

To me walking worthy of God, it's the idea of not selling myself short from what God has done, and what He's given to me, and Who He is in my life.

For instance . . . I worry about how I'm going to cover the coming massive shortfall, yet God had promised me that He'll be the One to take care of it, and I can leave it up to Him. Worthy of God is to be the one who doesn't worry, instead, who enjoys God's provision even though it is yet unseen.

Worthy of God to me means to not condemn myself, just as God doesn't condemn me. To give to others the love and forgiveness that God gives to me.

Good question! Going to be mulling this one over!

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: friend of

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH:

Paul speaks not in terms of a command to walk worthily of God in Christ, as per your verses you quoted. No, Paul is saying since we know the truth of the gospel and the hope in salvation, and we are in Christ, he then hopes that we walk, and should walk, worthily and fitting for a saint, a representative of God. The expression 'walk' as a biblical term, comes from the Hebrew OT and always means one's personal spiritual conduct in life.

If we say we are in Christ, and know the truth of the gospel, then we should pray through Christ to know the will of God the Almighty, all the time! This is our walk that starts out as baby and uncoordinated steps and becomes as a mature walker with fast coordinated and sturdy strides, always wanting to know more of God and his will. We breathe it. It is our daily habit and a vital part of our life here on earth. Now we do this alone, although we have our Lord in (our) mind that is always there to instruct and make our walk 'better' and 'smoother.'

Bless you,

APAK

Last edited:

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Worthy of God to me means to not condemn myself, just as God doesn't condemn me. To give to others the love and forgiveness that God gives to me...
How do you reconcile that statement with 1 Corinthians 11:29-32?

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge* ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Obviously (from the context) the word judge (διακρίνω) here means to pass a negative judgment i.e. condemn (κατακρίνω). Such was the attitude of the prodigal son, he considered himself unworthy to be called a son and for this reason he was accepted as one. Don't look at it logically, it's a paradox:

Some visitors came to the Thebaid one day to visit an old man, bringing one possessed with a devil that he might heal him. When they persistently asked him, the old man said to the devil, "Come out of God's creature." And the devil said to the old man, "I am going to come out, but I am going to ask you a question. Tell me, who are the goats and who are the sheep?" The old man said, "I am one of the goats, but as for the sheep, God alone knows who they are." When he heard this, the devil began to cry out with a loud voice, "Because of your humility, I am driven away!" and he departed at the same hour. - The Desert Fathers

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you reconcile that statement with 1 Corinthians 11:29-32?

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge* ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Obviously (from the context) the word judge (διακρίνω) here means to pass a negative judgment i.e. condemn (κατακρίνω). Such was the attitude of the prodigal son, he considered himself unworthy to be called a son and for this reason he was accepted as one. Don't look at it logically, it's a paradox:

Some visitors came to the Thebaid one day to visit an old man, bringing one possessed with a devil that he might heal him. When they persistently asked him, the old man said to the devil, "Come out of God's creature." And the devil said to the old man, "I am going to come out, but I am going to ask you a question. Tell me, who are the goats and who are the sheep?" The old man said, "I am one of the goats, but as for the sheep, God alone knows who they are." When he heard this, the devil began to cry out with a loud voice, "Because of your humility, I am driven away!" and he departed at the same hour. - The Desert Fathers

Hi icxn, I wouldn't count katakrino - downward judgement, or cast down judgment, the same as diakrino, through judging. Different things.

But are you saying you remain condemned for your sins, even in Christ?

Much love!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Im butting in here. ( @VictoryinJesus sorry)

Once again I am seeing our condition linked with punishment!!!

Our salvation is secure..( speaking of Christians) We cannot earn it. The blood of Jesus the Lamb...

Our condition ... walk and fruit, determines the rewards and position in the Kingdom for each one of us.

I see these lines being blurred and confused all the time on here!!

Our spiritual walk..condition, and our salvation in Christ Jesus are two different things..yet again and again the are mixed together...and it brings condemnation and fear on people. Some pastors 'control' by mixing the two and beating up the flock with it...

Sorry for butting in here!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the new exodus real Christians are led by the Spirity to mortify sin and live for God.

Just as an aside here. :)

People often talk about "real Christians"...on this site they sometimes tell who they are posting to..you are not a real Christian.

Maybe a better phrase would be immature , or what the bible calls - "An Overcomer" Rev 3

We have overcoming , mature Christians, who walk the walk and not just talk to talk. And we have carnal Christians which Paul addresses.

My own turn of phrase to separate the two classes...is " A believing believer"
It not quite to offensive as calling them 'not a real Christian'.

The Administrator ' lForrest' posted a warning thread in 2016 saying:-

I am irked by Christians referring to other Christians who disagree with their theology as "so-called" Christians.
It has become the passive aggressive way of judging one-another.

...etc

Just saying:- :)

Bless you..Helen

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi icxn, I wouldn't count katakrino - downward judgement, or cast down judgment, the same as diakrino, through judging. Different things.
To judge means to decide if something is true or false, good or bad, to approve or condemn. In the verse quoted I think it is clear what the verdict is.
But are you saying you remain condemned for your sins, even in Christ?
Much love!
That is not what I'm saying. Unfortunately, I can't think of a logical way to express my position. How can logic express that a Christian who considers himself a goat and worthy of hell, is indeed (or most likely*) a sheep and a citizen of heaven?