What does "walk worthy of God" mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to walk worthy of the Lord? (Colossians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:12)

1 Timothy 1:11-16
[11] According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. [12] And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; [13] Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. [14] And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. [15] This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. [16] Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[11] According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. [12] And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; [13] Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. [14] And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. [15] This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. [16] Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Victory, I'm asking you again kindly. When you post a scripture without stating what point you are specifically trying to make and how it applies to the question, it forces me to have to interpret for you what you are saying.

So once again I'll interpret what you are saying. So let's see... probably your usual mantra: That no one is worthy of anything unless Christ enables them to be worthy. This is a given. The question is, does this take place automatically, or does it require some action on the believer's part?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So let's see... probably your usual mantra: That no one is worthy of anything unless Christ enables them to be worthy.

Basically yes. For the sake of mercy, for His name sake. Romans 10:3
[3] For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Paul said he was a blasphemer...a chief of all sinners but he had done so in ignorance. Romans 10:3 says they being ignorant of God’s righteousness go about to establish their own righteousness...and have not submitted unto the righteousness of God which is
2 Corinthians 10: 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

You said the mantra is the same and is a given ...how is “it is a given” when the question remains “does it require some action on the believers part?” Another what does man do?

This is a given. The question is, does this take place automatically, or does it require some action on the believer's part?

John 10:27
[27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Follow Him where? Matthew 10:38
[38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Isaiah 66:1
[1] Thus saith the Lord , The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

Where is the place of God’s rest?

Reactions: faithfulness

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe 'walking worthy' means ( to me) being worthy to carry His name.
Being worth to be in His army.
Worthy to be a son.

= not discredit or bring shame on the God we serve.

How far we have fallen...I am not as proud to call myself a Christian as in the beginning...( for me 55 yrs ago) ..the church bought into and fell for, the spirit of gradualism. ( frog in water syndrome )
We are cooked!!!!!!

Reactions: Dave L

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The redeemed deserve God and all that he provides having been imputed with Christ's perfect righteousness.

The verses in the OP are a command to walk worthy of God. If those Paul was writing to were the redeemed, then according to your teaching their worthiness has already been imputed to them. Why then would Paul be giving them a command to walk worthy of God if they already were worthy of God?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically yes.

Same question: The verses in the OP are a command to walk worthy of God. If those Paul was writing to were the redeemed, then according to your teaching their worthiness has already been imputed to them. Why then would Paul be giving them a command to walk worthy of God if they already were worthy of God?
You said the mantra is the same and is a given ...how is “it is a given” when the question remains “does it require some action on the believers part?”

You are asking a question rather than answering mine. Does it require anything at all on the part of the believer?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why then would Paul be giving them a command to walk worthy of God if they already were worthy of God?

"Abstain from any appearance of evil"....bring no reproach. ??

One is our condition, one is our position.
We are working out our condition to line up with our position in Christ.

Declared clean, but our feet get dusty.

Maybe?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think to walk worthy of God is to be a good example of Christ others can follow. We do this by sharing the gospel in love and living out His Word. We do this not for man, but because of what God has done for us.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Abstain from any appearance of evil"....bring no reproach. ??

One is our condition, one is our position.
We are working out our condition to line up with our position in Christ.

Declared clean, but our feet get dusty.

Maybe?

: ) Your position here suggests that Paul's was not actually a command to walk worthy of God but rather a command to walk in a way that lined up with their already walking worthy of God, LoL. It presupposes a theological position that is then read into the text. It's an unnatural reading, to say the least. :p

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
: ) Your position here suggests that Paul's was not actually a command to walk worthy of God but rather a command to walk in a way that lined up with their already walking worthy of God, LoL. It presupposes a theological position that is then read into the text, and rather unnaturally. :p

Good catch, you know how I think... :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it mean to walk worthy of the Lord? (Colossians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 2:12)

To walk at least in righteousness. The Christian walk is righteousness built upon righteousness. His on ours. When we walk in holiness by faith...we are walking in the righteousness of God. If we are not walking in the Spirit then we should yet retain humility, uprightness and the fear of the Lord.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To walk at least in righteousness. The Christian walk is righteousness built upon righteousness. His on ours. When we walk in holiness by faith...we are walking in the righteousness of God. If we are not walking in the Spirit then we should yet retain humility, uprightness and the fear of the Lord.

Hi Episkopos! Hope you've had a pleasant Sunday.

About your answer, I believe the phrase refers more specially to enduring persecution, and hence walking worthy of the Lord by not denying Him. It is readily apparent in the context of 1 Thessalonians 2:12 (see v. 14-15), whereas in Colossians 1:10 it is a little more veiled but still there. ἐπίγνωσις, usually carelessly translated "knowledge," should rightly be translated as "recognition," and verse 11 talks about them being strengthened unto all endurance (ὑπομονή) with joy. What Paul was saying was that he was praying they be filled with the recognition of God's will, in that He desired for believers to endure all things with joy (including severe persecution), and not become bitter, angry or resentful.

I could cite other verses where the expression is used, though I don't have them atm. I'd have to look them up.

Thanks for the response.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good answer. Our behaviour as believers (walking the walk) needs to match our profession (talking the talk), in order for us to have a good, God honouring testimony.