What exactly is "the church"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this term over and over here and I am not familiar with the church.

If you are in a Catholic mass then the church refers to Catholicism

If you are in a Baptist....... and on and on

So there is no the church as far as I know as there are many churches

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The word 'church' can refer to an individual group of believers that meets together in one place, or to the "universal Church" which comprises all churches of every denomination (plus those that call themselves 'non-denominational'). In the first sense, there are many millions of churches; in the second sense there's only one.

We find both meanings in the Bible. The New Testament most often refers to local churches (e.g. after greeting Priscilla and Aquila in Romans 16:3, Paul writes "Greet also the church that meets at their house." - Romans 16:5). But occasionally there are references to the whole, worldwide church, e.g. "Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her to make her holy." (Ephesians 5:25)

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is only one Church and that's the Body of Christ. not to mention that Jesus Christ is the head of that body.
Mary is the Body as she was the one who said in regards to the Angel, Let it be done unto me. that is just like it is with us Christians as we become born again in the Holy Spirit, then we are as one body under Christ Jesus, Our Lord and Saviour. we abide in him only as the Body of Christ Salvation.
Mary was the first representing of that Body in Jesus Christ, not to mention there would be no Emmanuel without Mary.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Church is the Body of christ not a denomination.those truly saved are part of the Body of CHRIST

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The "church" is the body of Christ, the people make up the "church".

But the "church" from the beginning had an organization started by Jesus himself.
1 Corinthians 12:28 King James Version (KJV)
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Jesus ordained his 12 apostles and set them in the church to grow and administer the church.
They became the foundation of the first church of Jesus Christ, along with Jesus as chief cornerstone:
Ephesians 2:19-22 King James Version (KJV)
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Paul fashions the church like building fitly framed together with a foundation of apostles and prophets and Jesus.
The final scripture I will give you is why Jesus set apostles and prophets and other in his church:
Ephesians 4:11-14 King James Version (KJV)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

It looks like the true church of Jesus need apostles and prophets and other to:
1) perfect the saints
2) the work of the ministry
3) edify the body of Christ (keep the people of the church edifyed)

How long does Jesus want this organization to exist:
1) until we come in the unity of the faith
2) until we come to a full knowledge of the Son of God
3) until we know the full measure of the stature of fullness of Christ

What will happen if we lose the organization:
1) we will become like children
2) tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine
3) be decieved by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

So we need to look for a church that has the same organiztion that existed in the first century "church" of Jesus Christ.

I have more about the first century church and if you would like to discuss it further, let me know.