What I've Learned About Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
“Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.” -Horace WalpoleHe was possibly one of the toughest men I have ever met. I have known him for a little over a year, as my coach, my teacher, and a friend. He had an almost ridiculous motto of “suck it up”, which in his eyes meant show no pain, show no weakness, and almost never ask for help. It was not unusual for him to go weeks with things like broken fingers, and yell at his son for crying at a scraped knee. Therefore it was shocking then that mans mask cracked, and for the first time, I saw him cry.He dropped his cell phone on the floor, and in an angry, depressed, and defeated voice said “oh my God” the room turned to stare at him “what’s wrong” and with his eyes starting to water “Trevor (his son)..tree fell on him, on his job, lungs punctured, broken ribs, broken back, ruptured spleen…” that’s when he stopped, tears starting to roll down, and stared at the wall. What he didn’t mention was the broken arm and collarbone, and the 15% chance the doctors gave his son to live. It is times like these when you feel the world should just stop, but it never does. The seniors graduated the next day, the teachers continued handing out their endless assignments, the flags never flew half mast, and the TV’s regulars programs were never interrupted. And why should the world stop? The fact is that hundreds if not thousands of people had a tree fall on them that day, and at the same time thousands of people were hit by cars, shot, murdered, drowning, burning alive, and dying with a 15% percent chance to live, with their fathers crying with their cell phone laying dormant on the floor. The world does not stop for tragedy; its business is in tragedy.As a Christian, our job is to feel. Our greatest commandment is to love, and what is to love? It is to attach ourselves, devote ourselves to everyone around us, doing everything we can do from them while that tragedy hits them, wrapping our self’s in tragedy, holding close to your chest, like that favorite blanket in your childhood, until we ourselves our hit by that very same tragedy. Christian is rooted in tragedy; think about, in our religion, even God dies.And what do we have as a shield to protect ourselves from this world of tragedy. A god who can be interpreted in thousands of ways, and bible which can be interpreted into thousands of others, and as soon as we get a glimpse of what God is, it soon becomes way to clear. There is no way to prove God. God is completely illogical. It makes much more sense that we have just invented Christianity so we can stay in this world and remain sane, just like ever other religion in the world. It soon becomes clear that Christianity is a complete farce, completely illogical and unprovable, leaving us with nothing in this world.Yet, even when we come to this conclusion, its there. You know this feeling. When you have completely ignored him, God is there. When you have decided that he isn’t real, that you’re fooled by the grand delusion of another religion, you can still feel him. As you go into the world that new man, no longer Christian, no longer fooled, and you look into ever part of your life and still see God. This is faith, not of our own doing, half of the time we want to get rid of it, and yet it never leaves. When all of our ideas fail, all our attempts to trust in God fail, our belief in him broken, and yet His presence is still there waiting for you around every corner, faith is alive, and waiting for you to accept it. That man waiting out there in the hospital waiting for the news on his son, acknowledging the idea of God for the first time that is faith. The old man who has never done a good thing in his life, and yet looks at the cross, knowing that there’s something there, that is acceptance. And when you look at that man, who’s son has just been crushed, and say I’m praying for you” even though you know its ridiculous, and that God is completely illogical, and that there should be no way that you even acknowledge the belief, that is Christianity. So dive into tragedy with that completely illogical rock that is Christ, because it is true, our savior lives and people are dying all around him. That is where our journey begins.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Dear LGF I was moved by your post you have expressed in your post what many feel at times ... The very defintion of faith ..is belief in things not seen...We live in a prove it, show me world ... A belief in things unseen is sometimes a struggle ..But once you have become that new person ...You can never deny it again completley ..it calls you back to it continually ..To keep denying it can eat at person till it brings you back to God or makes you a bitter person ... You may have temporarily strayed from him but he has never left you ... He always waiting with outstreched arms to welcome you home ...

gumby

May 29, 2009
I think that we all doubt at some point in our lives, at one point in my life i had turned my back completly away from god right after my dad died. I continued in that process for about a year and a half then i finally decided to get back with the father and get back into his word and really grow as a person with god. I think as much as a tried to run and avoid my own personal anger and disatisfaction the worse it got for me until i was able to start reading the bible again and be a happier person with god.