What was the Law that was Added?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eccl.12:13

Aug 28, 2010
What was the Law that was Added

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.” Gal 3:19

Can you believe there are still people that think Paul talks about God’s law as one, and that every time Paul mentions God’s laws, he is talking about ALL of them? Well…..let’s break down the above verse and try to fully understand it.

We see Paul asking the question, “What was the purpose of the law?”.

And his answer? “It was added because of transgressions.”

Before going any further let’s look up the meaning of ‘transgression’;

Definition of Transgress:

1. transitive verb break law: to break a law, rule, or moral code
transgress the law
2. intransitive verb do wrong: to commit a crime or do wrong by disobeying a law, command, or moral code

Now that we know the meaning of transgress we can read the verse with knowledge and understanding.

When Paul says, "It was added", he meant an ’additional law’ was ADDED to laws that had been broken. And what were the laws that were broken? The laws Gods gave man from the time man was first put on this earth. The reason this is true is because of the God’s definition of ‘sin’.

“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4

So, a person who sins, or have ‘transgresseth’ the law is someone who is breaking, or have broken God’s laws!

And WHO has transgressed (broken God’s laws) or sinned?

“ For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Eccl.7:20

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” Rom.3:23

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:” Rom.5:12

Just as Jesus died for the sins of ALL of mankind, then God’s laws were for ALL of mankind. That means whether the laws were written in stone, or even if they knew it or not, ALL men still broke the laws of God.

Now let‘s get back to the law that was added;

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.” Gal 3:19

Again….Paul is saying that a LAW was ADDED because some of God’s OTHER laws were being broken.

Let’s read a bit more of what Paul said in Gal.3;

“…till the seed should come to whom the promise was made.” Gal. 3:19.

Paul tells us the Law that was ADDED, and only that law, was to be around until the seed should come. And that seed to come was Christ.

Let’s find just when this law was added;

Exod.12
[40] Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.
[41] And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years, even the selfsame day it came to pass, that all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.

Now we see that this law that was added came AFTER the nation of Israel left Egypt. We also know where Paul received his information; the OT! Let’s read what Paul said….

Gal.3
[17] And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

So the law that was added came 430yrs. after the promise that was made to Abraham. And whatever law this was, it could NOT disannul the promise that God made.

Now how long was this law that was added to be around? God tells us;

[24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
[25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

So the law that was ADDED, and only that law, was to be around until Christ came.

Let’s review:

• Paul tells us a law was ADDED because of the breaking of the laws.
  • Paul speaks of at least (2) laws in his writings; laws that were transgressed AND the law that was ADDED because of transgressions.
  • The law that was ADDED was not added until 430yrs. after God made the promise to Abraham.
  • This law that was ADDED was NOT to be around forever. Paul tells us the law, and ONLY the law that was ADDED, was only to be around until Jesus would come. 
Question: What was the law that was added?

Question: What happened to the law that was ADDED once Jesus came?

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Hi , and the Law was added 430 after Abram .

Christ fulfilled the Law when he died and PAID for the sins committed under the Old Covenant , Heb 9:15 .

This Covenant was only given to Jews as Eph 2:12 , that covenants were NEVER given to Gentiles , dan p

Aug 28, 2010
Hi , and the Law was added 430 after Abram .

Christ fulfilled the Law when he died and PAID for the sins committed under the Old Covenant , Heb 9:15 .

This Covenant was only given to Jews as Eph 2:12 , that covenants were NEVER given to Gentiles , dan p

We know that Abraham had God's laws that he had to follow;

"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

But what law did God ADD to the laws that Abraham already kept?

And what happened to the law that was ADDED once Jesus came?

Simple questions.

Aug 28, 2010
We know that Abraham had God's laws that he had to follow;

"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

But what law did God ADD to the laws that Abraham already kept?

And what happened to the law that was ADDED once Jesus came?

Simple questions.

Do you guys really not know what law was added and what happened to that law once Jesus died?

I think there are some out there that know, but if they say it, it will go against ALL that they have been taught and are teaching others.

Again....What was the law that was added and what happed to this law when Jesus died?

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I think the law that was added refers to the 10 commandments. Christ is the only man one whomever obeyed all of them on every level. The 10 commandements were only necessary because people sin, and the law was to show them they needed God in order to obey Him and to have fellowship with Him. A law that can't be followed isn't the best law, but because Christ died and rose again, we can now by the power of his spirit obey a new law, love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and love your neigbor as yourself, which is also an old law, and if we do that then we fulfill the 10 commandments which derived from that law. It is a law of love which demands our faith in order for us to be obedient to the letter of what is required just as Christ was in submission to His father in love.

Aug 28, 2010
I think the law that was added refers to the 10 commandments.

God's commandments were being broken before Moses came along. Whatever law that was added was added BECAUSE the people were sinnig; ("Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions...")

It was added because of transgressions, which means to break a law. But not just any law; God's laws.

Paul tells us that an 'additional' law was added beacuse man broke God's other laws.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
The law of sin and death?

I'm trying to think of what was in place before. Be fruitful and multiply? God even fulfilled that one by making us His children by new birth and multiplying us and how it talks about how we are a fulfillment of the promise God made to Abraham.

There was a proper sacrifice before the Mosaic law which was seen by Cain not bringing an acceptable sacrifice to God.

Laws in general are placed over people to keep them in order, to create reverent fear of what is right and wrong, and by that knowledge to do what is right. What law are any of us still bound by in Christ?

Aug 28, 2010
I'm trying to think of what was in place before.

Paul tells us what was before. But first let's read and understand the meaning of sin.

1 John 3
[4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Now this is not my definition of what sin is, this is what God says sin is.

So to sin is to break a law. But whose laws is it that man breaks? God's laws.

Now who has sinned, or who has broken God's laws?

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned;"
"For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

So EVERYTIME we see the word sin, we know it is talking about BREAKING GOD'S LAWS!!

So whether they knew it or not, God says ALL have sinned. And just as the scripture says...from Adam to now ALL have sinned.

So reguardless if God's laws were written down...man still broke them.

Cain knew what sin was.
The people of Sodom and Gomorrah knew what sin was.
Abimelech knew what sin was.
Jacob knew what sin was.
Joseph knew what sin was.
Abraham kept God's laws so he knew what sin was.
The Pharaoh that ruled over Egypt during the time of Moses knew what sin was.

Now ALL of this was BEFORE Moses was given God's law in stone.

And again...who was it that all men sinned against; God.

So....did God lie when He had the writers write that ALL men sinned against Him? Of course not.

Now let's let Paul tell us what was in the world BEFORE the law.....

Rom.5
[13] (For until the law sin was in the world:

Paul tell us even BEFORE the law, sin, which is the breaking of God's laws, was also in the world.

Now didn't Paul tell us that a law was added and that the law that was added was only to be around until the seed should come? Well...let's read the rest of the above verse....

"...but sin is not imputed when there is no law."

Paul tells us that sin (the breaking of God's laws) is NOT taken away when there is no law!

Now what law is Paul talking about when he said, "....there is no law."?

If would hvae to be the one that was added, because Paul tells us the SIN is still here even when there is no law!

Again,,,,,what was the law that was added?

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Well if God is just by nature, his nature is law. When we act outside His nature we are breaking His law. I guess what was added to his character was His suffering. We must now suffer if we are to have part with God, because without sin there wasn't suffering, and suffering became a part of God's eternal character when he chose to suffer with us and for us.

Aug 28, 2010
Well if God is just by nature, his nature is law. When we act outside His nature we are breaking His law. I guess what was added to his character was His suffering. We must now suffer if we are to have part with God, because without sin there wasn't suffering, and suffering became a part of God's eternal character when he chose to suffer with us and for us.

?????

So.........you are not sure just which law was added because of mans transgressions (breaking God's laws)!

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Well if God is just by nature, and His nature is law, and if any and all sin is acting outside his character, and I am unable to attain God's character by my own works, then I must be crucified with Christ according to the character of His suffering, and I must die to myself. The very works (the law) I think would/should/could save me I must put to death, so that Christ might bring life and fulfillment to those works. The law represents works which were an added necessity, faith took it's place, and works rest on faith? That's all I got. Is there one work/law you are looking for?