Where do people go when they die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Fullness of the Gentiles, there is nothing wrong with your long post. There is nothing wrong with any of the scriptures you have posted here either. With sharing all of this, could you write a quick overview in a paragraph of what it is you believe from your view of scripture?

Have shared my view and believe that all people will be receiving a spiritual body; either one equipped to dwell in the Kingdom of God, and one for those without faith who rejected truth not so well equipped to dwell in the kingdom so they are placed outside of the kingdom.

When it comes to resurrection will point you to 1 Corinthians 15 would be my stand and view.

Thank you for your time and consideration, am going to be leaving here momentarily.

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That thinking could probably work except that I cannot ignore the problems in any of the end times frameworks/theologies. I can’t fully accept any of them for the fact that each of them, at some point, tries to pound a square peg into a round hole to protect their framework.
You haven't heard mine then. No square pegs in round holes, but a few holes waiting for answers. Won't be long.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible declares that the dead are “conscious of nothing at all.” At death there is no torment in hellfire, no agonizing wait in Limbo, but simply a return to the dust. Therefore, God’s Word advises the living: “All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10; Genesis 3:19) “Sheol” is an unfamiliar term to many. It is a Hebrew word of uncertain derivation. Many religions teach that the dead are still alive, but as the inspired Word of God shows, those in Sheol are dead, without consciousness. Sheol is the common grave of mankind.

In the Bible, we find the first occurrence of the word “Sheol” at Genesis 37:35. Following the apparent loss of his beloved son Joseph, the patriarch Jacob refused to take comfort, declaring: “I shall go down mourning to my son into Sheol!” Believing that his son was dead, Jacob desired to die and be in Sheol. Later, nine of Jacob’s older children wanted to take his youngest son, Benjamin, down to Egypt to find relief from the famine. However, Jacob refused, saying: “My son will not go down with you men, because his brother is dead and he has been left by himself. If a fatal accident should befall him on the way on which you would go, then you would certainly bring down my gray hairs with grief to Sheol.” (Genesis 42:36, 38) These two references link death, not some kind of afterlife, with Sheol.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Hello @Fullness of the Gentiles, there is nothing wrong with your long post. There is nothing wrong with any of the scriptures you have posted here either. With sharing all of this, could you write a quick overview in a paragraph of what it is you believe from your view of scripture?

Have shared my view and believe that all people will be receiving a spiritual body; either one equipped to dwell in the Kingdom of God, and one for those without faith who rejected truth not so well equipped to dwell in the kingdom so they are placed outside of the kingdom.

When it comes to resurrection will point you to 1 Corinthians 15 would be my stand and view.

Thank you for your time and consideration, am going to be leaving here momentarily.

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.
I believe you already are spiritually alive, if you are in Christ (Genesis 2:7; John 3:3-8). I believe people wrongly place emphasis on the word soul instead of on the word living in Genesis 2:7. I believe it is by your spirit, which is born from above when you are born of the Spirit of Christ, that you are in Christ and Christ is in you, therefore your spirit remains in Christ when your body dies, and you wait for the bodily resurrection of the dead, in the day your body is raised a spiritual body. I don't believe this bodily resurrection (which is referred to in 1 Corinthians 15 and in many other passages and verses in the New Testament) is referring to "being given a spirit". Christ is your Life. You already have life in Christ = you already have the spirit you are referring to, because you have already been spiritually born of the Spirit of Christ (John 3:3-8).

So I believe that those who die in Christ go to be with Christ, and wait for the resurrection of the body which was sown in corruption but is raised incorruptible, sown as flesh-and-blood body but raised a spiritual body (not a spirit, because if you are in Christ you already have a spirit which was born of the Spirit of Christ).

Those who are not in Christ when they die is another (lengthy) subject, and I saw someone else in this thread already mentioning the fact that neither the word "hell" nor our concept of "hell" is ever mentioned in the Greek. What is mentioned in the New Testament is hades, tartaroo, and gehenna - gehenna being a metaphor or symbol for eternal damnation, tartaroo being the lowest abyss in hades (also a prison in hades), and hades being the word which the Greek Septuagint uses to translate the Hebrew word sheol in the Old Testament (each time), which is the same word describing the place where Christ descended to when He died, before He rose again. It's also called "under the earth" in the Revelation.

From what you said, it sounded to me like maybe you are thinking of an eternal separation of body and soul after death, or that the spiritual body mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15 is referring to spirit (only), instead of to a changed body?

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, but we are not talking about the living. We are talking about the dead, who will be resurrected in the second resurrection, and then go to the second death.
The "dead" are actually living persons. Either in Heaven or Hades. Did you not know this very fundamental truth? The ones who will be resurrection (righteous or unrighteous) will receive bodies at their respective resurrections. But their souls and spirits are very much alive!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "dead" are actually living persons. Either in Heaven or Hades. Did you not know this very fundamental truth? The ones who will be resurrection (righteous or unrighteous) will receive bodies at their respective resurrections. But their souls and spirits are very much alive!

I see it as the opposite - a lot of the living are actually dead persons.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see it as the opposite - a lot of the living are actually dead persons.
1. Those who are not in Christ are spiritually dead. But when they die their souls will be very much alive in Hades.

2. Those who are in Christ are alive to God, and will live with God and Christ in Heaven when they die on earth. Physical death is merely the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. But that will be reversed at the Resurrection/Rapture.

3. Even pagan religions believe that souls and spirits go on living after physical death. Which means that all mankind believes in an afterlife.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Those who are not in Christ are spiritually dead. But when they die their souls will be very much alive in Hades.

2. Those who are in Christ are alive to God, and will live with God and Christ in Heaven when they die on earth. Physical death is merely the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. But that will be reversed at the Resurrection/Rapture.

3. Even pagan religions believe that souls and spirits go on living after physical death. Which means that all mankind believes in an afterlife.
The question to me is how do we define death?

To me, death is separation, physical death is separation for the body and soul. Spiritual death is the separation of the soul from God.

Much love!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not think that verse is meant to direct us to read in the Bible and replace everywhere we read the word “day” with “1000 years” and replace everywhere we read “1000 years” with the word “day.” The verse is not a super decoder ring, lol.
I wasn’t suggesting that....only giving a reason for God saying that “in the day that you eat from it you will surely die”....it has an explanation, because you said that ‘they did not die that day’.....but, they did if we apply 2 Peter 3:8. No human has lived a full “day” according to that scripture. “A day to God is like a thousand years”....there you have the explanation....not that we need to change the meaning of the word day in every instance.....but like the Genesis creation account, the Hebrew word “day” can mean more than just a 24 hour period. The Bible does not disagree with science on that question.

I think the apostle was trying to get across the point that what seems like a long time to us is not a long time to God, who is eternal.
It explains exactly why we have been in this battle with God and the devil for so long. It’s like universal time, verses earth time. God is not restricted by the time determined by the rotation of our planet....and the first rebel was not human, so this battle is fought in universal time.....it’s the same devil and the same demons with generations of humans who died and needed replacing in the kingdom that the devil created for himself on this earth....we have to wonder if he anticipated that access to the “tree of life” would be denied...? Did he know that his worshippers and servants would end up dying and needing to be replaced as long as God allowed him to rule this earth? (1 John 5:19; Luke 4:6)

Isn’t that like tobacco companies knowing that their product killed people, and thus always needing to look for new customers, using new ways to attract them?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn’t suggesting that....only giving a reason for God saying that “in the day that you eat from it you will surely die”....it has an explanation, because you said that ‘they did not die that day’.....but, they did if we apply 2 Peter 3:8. No human has lived a full “day” according to that scripture. “A day to God is like a thousand years”....there you have the explanation....not that we need to change the meaning of the word day in every instance.....but like the Genesis creation account, the Hebrew word “day” can mean more than just a 24 hour period. The Bible does not disagree with science on that question.

It explains exactly why we have been in this battle with God and the devil for so long. It’s like universal time, verses earth time. God is not restricted by the time determined by the rotation of our planet....and the first rebel was not human, so this battle is fought in universal time.....it’s the same devil and the same demons with generations of humans who died and needed replacing in the kingdom that the devil created for himself on this earth....we have to wonder if he anticipated that access to the “tree of life” would be denied...? Did he know that his worshippers and servants would end up dying and needing to be replaced as long as God allowed him to rule this earth? (1 John 5:19; Luke 4:6)

Isn’t that like tobacco companies knowing that their product killed people, and thus always needing to look for new customers, using new ways to attract them?

ah, okay, I understand you now.
I meant they didn’t die physically on that day. Which, of course, doesn’t mean God wasn’t talking of a different kind of death.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
done covered that in the gospels
The Bible is not just the gospels though, is it?....the complete word of God is inspired by Him (2 Tim 3:16-17)....so please tell me where God ever incarcerated or tortured anyone under his Law?

Tell me why it was repugnant to him when the apostate Israelites sacrificed their children alive in a fire....Jeremiah 7:31....
“They have built the high places of Toʹpheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’”

The God of Jesus Christ is not a fiend who enjoys torturing anyone. Capital offences in Israel carried the death penalty...that was the highest form of punishment.....no torture, no jail...just death. Jews had no belief in heaven or hell...that was a Greek idea adopted by them later.

There is no such place as “Hell”...there never was.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not just the gospels though, is it?....the complete word of God is inspired by Him (2 Tim 3:16-17)....so please tell me where God ever incarcerated or tortured anyone under his Law?

Tell me why it was repugnant to him when the apostate Israelites sacrificed their children alive in a fire....Jeremiah 7:31....
“They have built the high places of Toʹpheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’”

The God of Jesus Christ is not a fiend who enjoys torturing anyone. Capital offences in Israel carried the death penalty...that was the highest form of punishment.....no torture, no jail...just death. Jews had no belief in heaven or hell...that was a Greek idea adopted by them later.

There is no such place as “Hell”...there never was.
tell you what aunty jane you just keep right on believing. to say there is no hell rejects the Bible . i have no time for foolish questions

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
tell you what aunty jane you just keep right on believing. to say there is no hell rejects the Bible .
Have I not shown you from the scriptures that there is no such place? Who is denying the scriptures.....I’m afraid that you are.

i have no time for foolish questions
Me either, so this is why discussion is good....we might learn something...:D
Are you afraid to learn that you might be mistaken?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so sure we should take the word of an impersonating demon as to what takes place in the hereafter.
What is it that God says to us through what is written in the scriptures? What is it we understand from the following words?

"Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;" John 11:50-51

"Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people." John 18:14

Was this high priest, this offspring of Aaron, not seemingly a double-minded man? On the one hand he conspired against Jesus for probably very selfish reasons while on the other hand did he not have a prophecy from God?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It makes more sense of you realize the ones that aren't raised in the first resurrection, are still dead. As one mentioned previously, the meaning of death is paramount. Essentially it is the cessation of life. Hence the need for a resurrection. Why are they resurrected to be condemned later? Because part of their punishment, their anguish, will be in the realization they were wrong, and that their refusal of God's grace and mercy was what finally condemned them... Their unbelief... Not their sins. The resurrection of the unsaved is for the purpose of disclosure, and full and proper hearing before the universe that solidifies and vindicates God's character.

It's a paradox isn't it... Or is it irony... Or both? That people reject annihilation in favor of eternal suffering because they believe that in eternal suffering justice is met. Yet it never ends, so how could justice be met if it needs to be forever?
People often, it would seem, fail to understand that time itself is in God's hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.