Where do people go when they die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever consider that for some, like those of Sodom, punishment isn't as severe as others because they died in the fire sooner, 'according to their works'?

KJV Luke 12:48
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
If I were to believe in annihilation of the unredeemed, this is how I would understand that passage. Some take longer to be consumed in the flames, and this is their greater punishment.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have I not shown you from the scriptures that there is no such place? Who is denying the scriptures.....I’m afraid that you are.

Me either, so this is why discussion is good....we might learn something...:D
Are you afraid to learn that you might be mistaken?
not sure what kind of Bible you read ,but you have showed me nothing :eek::eek::oops::oops:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how many times you repeat it, I still disagree. Lol.

This was the wrong comment but it had to do with people being dead. All people are spiritually dead until they become spiritually born again from above by God.

I’ll show you how with scripture

“For we do not commend ourselves again to you, but give you opportunity to boast on our behalf, that you may have an answer for those who boast in appearance and not in heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; or if we are of sound mind, it is for you.

For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves,

All died but those who live -> born again being spiritually alive born again from above by God now should live for Jesus Christ!!!

how awesome is that for an example of there being dead people walking around just not spiritually alive?

but for Him who died for them and rose again. Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh,

yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭5:12-19‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were to believe in annihilation of the unredeemed, this is how I would understand that passage. Some take longer to be consumed in the flames, and this is their greater punishment.

Much love!

Good to see you Marks! Your view seems to have turned around a lot love you brother .

love all you guys, gonna get off here do some more writing and go to sleep

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good to see you Marks! Your view seems to have turned around a lot love you brother .

love all you guys, gonna get off here do some more writing and go to sleep
To be clear, I do happen to think that God created man a durable being, intended for eternal life.

Just the same, I love what I see of your heart.

Much love!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
not sure what kind of Bible you read ,but you have showed me nothing :eek::eek::oops::oops:
Any Bible you like, as long as you are open to reference to a concordance. Words are important in translation...if you get the meaning wrong, it can be catastrophic to your understanding.

Are you prepared to dig deeper into the word? Do you have anything to fear by doing so?
Weren’t the ancient Be·roeʹans commended for checking the scriptures to see if what they were being taught was in accord with all that is written? (Acts 17:10).....and that was from the apostles, not just your run of the mill church men.

If God found that the Israelites burning their children in the fire was repugnant, then why would he do that himself? Think about it....would you torture your own children? If they were that wicked, wouldn’t just putting them out of existence be enough? What kind of a God do you think he is???

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God found that the Israelites burning their children in the fire was repugnant, then why would he do that himself? Think about it....would you torture your own children? If they were that wicked, wouldn’t just putting them out of existence be enough? What kind of a God do you think he is???
What man does and what God does are not comparable, not at all the same thing.

What if God created man to exist forever? Would you have God take that back? What if increasing sinfulness leads to greater and greater self loathing and inner torment, which if allowed forever becomes forever worse, and the suffering that causes sin to cease is a mercy?

What if this is just a very hard truth to accept?

Much love!

Reactions: bbyrd009

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What man does and what God does are not comparable, not at all the same thing.
Being made in God’s image, means that we feel what he feels....what is repugnant to him is naturally repugnant to us.....or it should be. Burning someone alive forever is not something a loving God needs to do.
An everlasting punishment for a short life of sin is hardly in accord with God’s justice. In his Law the punishment was always in accord with the severity of the crime.
In Israel, there was no torture or even incarceration....there was no need. Capital crimes merited capital punishment.....there was no higher penalty. Other crimes put offenders to work to compensate their victims....that is justice.

What if God created man to exist forever? Would you have God take that back?
What do you mean “if” God created man to exist forever? Man was created to live forever, but it wasn’t due to him being in possession of an immortal soul. A “soul” is a living, breathing creature....the word never means a disembodied spirit. Animals are called souls and they were not designed to live forever.

Genesis 2:7....
“And God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living soul.“
So, Adam was not “given” a soul....he “became” one when God started him breathing. That spirit or breath of life is what sustains all living creatures. Once breathing stops, the spirit departs from the lungs and the soul dies. (Ezekiel 18:4) Animal or human, we all die the same death, we have the same breath (spirit) and we all go to the same place.....(Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)....back to the dust.

What if increasing sinfulness leads to greater and greater self loathing and inner torment, which if allowed forever becomes forever worse, and the suffering that causes sin to cease is a mercy?
That is a “what if” not a Bible truth. We know why sin exists and we know what God did about it. He did not want sin to sit there and slap us around....he wanted us to get a grip on our life and obey Christ’s teachings. The person of faith does not sin deliberately....he loves God too much for that. But a momentary lapse in judgment...that is something quite different. It brings repentance and forgiveness.

God does not need mankind to suffer after death....what good would it accomplish? At death one is acquitted of former sins (Romans 6:7, 23) and is resurrected with a clean slate to start again...(John 5:28-29)...this time in a world ruled by Jesus as king of God’s kingdom.

This kingdom is the means by which God restores his rulership over mankind and brings us back to the paradise conditions that he placed our first parents in...the one Adam lost for his children. Do you think that rebels could derail God’s original purpose for mankind? Not a chance! (Isaiah 55:11)
God offered the first humans everlasting life...but not immortality.

What if this is just a very hard truth to accept?
What if it’s a load of bunkum? What if there is no hell of eternal torment....would you think less of God because he doesn’t want to torture people?
How can you love a sadistic fiend?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you maybe forget that there was a time when you looked in a mirror and did not recognize your “self…”

your “self” as you would describe it would not be recognizable to any of your peers if it were written down and they read it; they would not be able to identify you from your written description. Search these phrases and see

so, there might be other “hard truths” yall might look at
me, im looking forward to new name myself

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not just the gospels though, is it?....the complete word of God is inspired by Him (2 Tim 3:16-17)....so please tell me where God ever incarcerated or tortured anyone under his Law?

Tell me why it was repugnant to him when the apostate Israelites sacrificed their children alive in a fire....Jeremiah 7:31....
“They have built the high places of Toʹpheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’”

The God of Jesus Christ is not a fiend who enjoys torturing anyone. Capital offences in Israel carried the death penalty...that was the highest form of punishment.....no torture, no jail...just death. Jews had no belief in heaven or hell...that was a Greek idea adopted by them later.

There is no such place as “Hell”...there never was.
Aunty Jane said......
The Bible is not just the gospels though, is it?....the complete word of God is inspired by Him (2 Tim 3:16-17)....so please tell me where God ever incarcerated or tortured anyone under his Law?

The God of Jesus Christ is not a fiend who enjoys torturing anyone. Capital offences in Israel carried the death penalty...that was the highest form of punishment.....no torture, no jail...just death. Jews had no belief in heaven or hell...that was a Greek idea adopted by them later.

There is no such place as “Hell”...there never was.

So is there a reason you do not want to believe there is a Hell?
Is it a religion....Jehovah's Witness?
You have not found the scriptures that speak of a place of punishment?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Much love!
Which surely is more in keeping with godly justice. As the theory of eternal torment stands, there are m now souls in hell burning. Some for nearly 6000 years, and those being of young children who barely ever raised a hand in anger. There is also such as despots and tyrants responsible for genocide of millions, who entered hell just last century.
And then of course we have the Christian Church who not only believes this to be just and fair, but also believe God Himself thinks it just and fair making Him the ultimate tyrant.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What if God created man to exist forever?
I have no doubt that man was made to live forever, but the presence of the tree of life both in the garden and now in paradise suggests that such life was conditional. I think it highly significant that after having sinned, Adam and Eve were barred from partaking of the tree,
KJV Genesis 3:22-24
22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

The above passages tell me that there is no such thing as an immortal sinner.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is it that God says to us through what is written in the scriptures? What is it we understand from the following words?

"Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;" John 11:50-51

"Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people." John 18:14

Was this high priest, this offspring of Aaron, not seemingly a double-minded man? On the one hand he conspired against Jesus for probably very selfish reasons while on the other hand did he not have a prophecy from God?
Certainly God can use anyone or anything to speak messages of truth to the world or to individuals, even donkeys. But he will not permit them to lie if such would bring His people into danger, such as Balaam.
I do not think a witch has the power to raise the dead. Isaiah 8 tells us not to trust them or believe them. Yet we have Christians using the testimony of a witch to support their claims of all immediate afterlife.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you sound awful sure :)
Genesis confirms that God created man to have everlasting life in his mortal flesh. The only cause of death mentioned in Eden was disobedience....so if the humans had not disobeyed, they never would have died.....

Genesis 3:22-24...after the humans had sinned....
“Jehovah God then said: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad. Now in order that he may not put his hand out and take fruit also from the tree of life and eat and live forever,—” 23 With that Jehovah God expelled him from the garden of Eʹden to cultivate the ground from which he had been taken. 24 So he drove the man out, and he posted at the east of the garden of Eʹden the cherubs and the flaming blade of a sword that was turning continuously to guard the way to the tree of life.”

So there it is...the tree of life allowed the humans to "live forever".....it was there in the garden...free access until they disobeyed, and then they were barred from touching it ever again. An angel was posted to make sure, along with the flaming blade of a sword.

The "trees of life" are not mentioned again till Revelation and the rulership of God's Kingdom. (Revelation 22:2)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So is there a reason you do not want to believe there is a Hell?
Is there a reason why you do? It is not in scripture. "Gehenna" is not "hell"....hades is not "hell"....the "lake of fire" is not "hell"...so any translation using that word is mistranslating those Greek words and promoting a Greek platonic idea that involves immortal souls...there is no such thing. The words "immortal" and "soul" are not found side by side in a single passage of scripture.

Is it a religion....Jehovah's Witness?
No...its the Bible actually. All Christians should base their beliefs on the Bible...right?

You have not found the scriptures that speak of a place of punishment?
No....please share them, and I will show you why there is no such place.
If there is no immortal soul that survives the death of the body, then you don't have to invent places for them to go....

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No....please share them, and I will show you why there is no such place.

You are talking to a person that knows the Bible backwards and forwards at the language level. So I will give you homework. You provide the scriptures that support your beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.