Who Is "the Restrainer" In 2 Thess. 2:6-7

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

ATP said:
Why did Paul refer to the Antichrist Kingdom as "he" or the "man" of lawlessness?
The above is an interesting question. There is much debate over whether the Antichrist is an individual, as it is propagated in futurist circles, or a system. Following is my answer:

The Antichrist is revealed to us through scripture in several different ways. In Daniel 2 he is the mixture of iron and clay. In Daniel 7 he is the little horn. In 2 Thess the man of sin and son of perdition, and in Revelation 13 the first beast.
I have mentioned before that Nebuchadnezzar was the representative of the entire empire, so also with the ‘man of sin’. Below is an excerpt from a sermon by the renowned preacher and writer Puritan Thomas Manton in the 17th century. Charles Spurgeon testified to Mantons works as being “a mighty mountain of sound theology”
But because he is called the man of sin, here it cometh fitly to be inquired whether Antichrist be an individual person? for ‘that man of sin’ would seem to be some single person. No; he is put for a society and succession of men, that make up the head of the apostate state. As one lion figured the whole kingdom of the Babylonians, and one bear the kingdom of the Medes and Persians, and one leopard the kingdom of the Grecians, Dan. 7, — and there the fourth beast is the fourth kingdom, — so one person that succession of men that head the revolters from Christ. So Dan. 8, a goat figured a succession of kings; so the Assyrian, Isa. 10:5, several kings in that empire; so Isa. 14:9, the king of Babylon, meaning not one but many. So this man of sin doth not note a single man, but a succession of men, a body politic or corporate, under one opposite head to the kingdom of Christ: so the ‘man of God’ is put for all faithful ministers, 2 Tim. 3:17; so ‘honour the king,’ I Peter 2:17, series regum. So o arciereus, Heb. 9:25, ‘The high priest every year entereth into the holy place;’ meaning not one, but the succession of the order; and in reason it must needs be so here. Because Antichrist, from his beginning to his end, from his rise and revelation, till his ruin and destruction, will take up such a long track of time, as cannot fall within the age of any one man, even from the time of the apostles till the end of the world. Antichrist is the head of the apostasy; for here the apostasy and the revelation of the man of sin are tied together; now the mysterious apostasy could not be perfected in a short time.

In this sermon, Manton, like many reformers before him, was applying the prophecy of 2 Thess. concerning the man of sin directly to the papal system.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
If Dan 9:24 is done and over with, doesn't that completely blow non-osas doctrine out of the water if Jesus put an end to sin once and for all...

Dan 9:24 NIV "Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Saint said:
Doubt that anyone would want to take the time to read this teaching but you might learn something if you did...http://christianitybeliefs.org/end-times-deceptions/70-weeks-of-daniel-covenant-deception/
1. Article does not mention the future third temple of Ezek 40-48.

2. The word “confirm” tells us that the covenant already existed? How so?

3. Article does not mention the 1260 days in Revelation.

4. The 70th week of Daniel covenant is eternal, not just for 7 years?

5. Jesus was “cut off”, crucified midway through Daniel’s 70th week? Scripture doesn't say how much later after the 483rd year He was put to death.

Dan 9:25-26 NIV “Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens (49 + 434).’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. 26After the sixty-two ‘sevens (483 years),’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

6. 70 Weeks of Daniel prophecy didn’t bring an end to the Jews being able to be saved, it ended the need for the religion of Judaism and the Old Covenant system, which leads to death?

What about Rom 11:25-27 NIV??????????????

7. The abomination of desolation does not apply to an end-time Antichrist? Matt 24:15 is past?

8. And if there is no 7-year tribulation period, then the pre-tribulation rapture concept is proven to be a myth. For an in-depth Bible study on the rapture, click on The Pretribulation Rapture Myth?

Of course pre-trib rapture is false. That doesn't delete the 70th week! Rapture occurs after the 6th seal in the middle of the last 3.5 years of the 70th week Matt 24:29-31 NIV.

- ATP

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Saint said:
Didn't say there wasn't or will be an Antichrist, just said the word doesn't say he will make a covnenat with anyone. The only reference that people refer to is Daniel 9:27 which is misunderstood if one doesn't understands the New Covenant that Christ cut with His blood on the cross. If that Eternal Covenant isn't understood then there is confusion.
Post 277 clearly states that the antichrist spirit can in fact make a "covenant of death".

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
brakelite said:
The Antichrist is revealed to us through scripture in several different ways. In Daniel 2 he is the mixture of iron and clay. In Daniel 7 he is the little horn. In 2 Thess the man of sin and son of perdition, and in Revelation 13 the first beast.
I have mentioned before that Nebuchadnezzar was the representative of the entire empire, so also with the ‘man of sin’.
Maybe Paul was referencing "man" as a metaphor for many people in a kingdom..like in 2 John 1:7 NIV.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The 70 weeks are about non believing Israel specifically Dan 9:20-21. So if Dan 9:24 is past, then why is Israel still without faith?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I did respond. This is not proof that the restrainer is evil and in the past.
The restrainer is future, and so is Dan 12, Rev 11,12,13.
Flawed reasoning? I don't think so.
I'm not the one who thinks 1260, 1290 and 1335 days are past,
and the woman in Rev 12 is the church. :rolleyes:

All you do is post your opinions with absolutely no scripture.
That tells me you do not know your Bible at all.
You got a lot of work to do.
We can discuss when the Restrainer does his work later. Now, do you still believe that the Restrainer MUST be virtuous because "evil cannot restrain evil'???

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Note 1: According to Dan 9:24 NIV, the following six major things must be accomplished during the 70-week prophecy:

Finish the transgression - The English word 'finish' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kala', which means 'to restrict', 'hold back', or 'prohibit'. When transgressions are restricted or held back (kala), they do not exist.

Make an end of sins - Sin is the violation of God's law. If there is no sin, there cannot be a violation. Therefore, whatever will happen during this prophecy has the ability to put an end to the violation of God's law.

Make reconciliation for iniquity (i.e., lawlessness) - The English word 'reconciliation' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kaphar', which has a purely theological meaning. It refers to the process by which physical defilement (impurity) and spiritual and moral sin is covered or set aside. When 'kaphar' is accomplished, the breach between man and God is healed.

Bring in everlasting righteousness - Everlasting righteousness cannot exist where a violation of God's law exists; because, to be totally righteous is to be God-like in every aspect of one's being. Whatever happens during this prophecy makes it possible for one to remain perpetually righteous.

Seal up the vision and prophecy - The English word 'seal' is translated from the Hebrew word 'chatham', which means 'to bring to an end'. Therefore, if the vision and prophecy are brought to an end, everything within Daniel's vision and within the prophecy that was revealed to him will culminate in the final event of the prophecy, which is the anointing of the Most Holy.

Anoint the Most Holy - The English word 'anoint' is translated from the Hebrew word 'mashiyach', which means 'to set aside' or 'consecrate for a holy purpose'. The English phrase 'Most Holy' is translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Therefore, we can assume that the conclusion of this prophecy is the establishment of a holy of holies where God's spirit-presence will dwell.

Note 2: The English phrase 'most holy' in both the KJV and LBP are translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Clearly, Dan 9:24 NIV is telling us that, sometime after the 490 years of national punishment of Israel and Judah, the following events would take place:

1. The new covenant will be instituted with regathered Israel and Judah.
2. The Kingdom of God (i.e., everlasting righteousness ) will be established and rule the earth.
3. People will learn to live sinless lives.
4. The Temple services will again be established as prophesied.

The Kingdom of God will be established after the 70 prophetic weeks are completed. However, it is also clear when we review Dan 9:26 NIV that there is a vast amount of time between the end of the years of punishment and the establishment of the New Covenant and the Kingdom of God.

Note 3: There is still war on earth, even now Matt 24:6-7 NIV. Also notice that the Messiah is killed, but his kingdom is not established...

Dan 9:26 NIV After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

- ATP

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
We can discuss when the Restrainer does his work later. Now, do you still believe that the Restrainer MUST be virtuous because "evil cannot restrain evil'???
No, not even close.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I did respond. This is not proof that the restrainer is evil and in the past.
The restrainer is future, and so is Dan 12, Rev 11,12,13.
Flawed reasoning? I don't think so.
I'm not the one who thinks 1260, 1290 and 1335 days are past,
and the woman in Rev 12 is the church. :rolleyes:

All you do is post your opinions with absolutely no scripture.
That tells me you do not know your Bible at all.
You got a lot of work to do.
You are the proverbial pigeon on the chessboard. You know full well that your "evil cannot restrain evil, therefore the Restrainer cannot be the evil Roman Empire" argument is baseless in light of the examples I posted, but you stubbornly refuse to concede your error, just like the good Jesuit sympathizer you are.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
You are the proverbial pigeon on the chessboard. You know full well that your "evil cannot restrain evil, therefore the Restrainer cannot be the evil Roman Empire" argument is baseless in light of the examples I posted, but you stubbornly refuse to concede your error, just like the good Jesuit sympathizer you are.
Post 288.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Note 1: According to Dan 9:24 NIV, the following six major things must be accomplished during the 70-week prophecy:

Finish the transgression - The English word 'finish' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kala', which means 'to restrict', 'hold back', or 'prohibit'. When transgressions are restricted or held back (kala), they do not exist.

Make an end of sins - Sin is the violation of God's law. If there is no sin, there cannot be a violation. Therefore, whatever will happen during this prophecy has the ability to put an end to the violation of God's law.

Make reconciliation for iniquity (i.e., lawlessness) - The English word 'reconciliation' is translated from the Hebrew word 'kaphar', which has a purely theological meaning. It refers to the process by which physical defilement (impurity) and spiritual and moral sin is covered or set aside. When 'kaphar' is accomplished, the breach between man and God is healed.

Bring in everlasting righteousness - Everlasting righteousness cannot exist where a violation of God's law exists; because, to be totally righteous is to be God-like in every aspect of one's being. Whatever happens during this prophecy makes it possible for one to remain perpetually righteous.

Seal up the vision and prophecy - The English word 'seal' is translated from the Hebrew word 'chatham', which means 'to bring to an end'. Therefore, if the vision and prophecy are brought to an end, everything within Daniel's vision and within the prophecy that was revealed to him will culminate in the final event of the prophecy, which is the anointing of the Most Holy.

Anoint the Most Holy - The English word 'anoint' is translated from the Hebrew word 'mashiyach', which means 'to set aside' or 'consecrate for a holy purpose'. The English phrase 'Most Holy' is translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Therefore, we can assume that the conclusion of this prophecy is the establishment of a holy of holies where God's spirit-presence will dwell.

Note 2: The English phrase 'most holy' in both the KJV and LBP are translated from the Hebrew phrase 'qodesh qoddashim', which means 'the holy of holies' (i.e., the innermost chamber of both the Tabernacle and the Temple of God). Clearly, Dan 9:24 NIV is telling us that, sometime after the 490 years of national punishment of Israel and Judah, the following events would take place:

1. The new covenant will be instituted with regathered Israel and Judah.
2. The Kingdom of God (i.e., everlasting righteousness ) will be established and rule the earth.
3. People will learn to live sinless lives.
4. The Temple services will again be established as prophesied.

The Kingdom of God will be established after the 70 prophetic weeks are completed. However, it is also clear when we review Dan 9:26 NIV that there is a vast amount of time between the end of the years of punishment and the establishment of the New Covenant and the Kingdom of God.

Note 3: There is still war on earth, even now Matt 24:6-7 NIV. Also notice that the Messiah is killed, but his kingdom is not established...

Dan 9:26 NIV After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

- ATP
Wrong again. The prophecy does not demand that the six tasks be completed by the end of the 70 Weeks, but that the 70 Weeks bring us to the active Agent Who will eventually accomplish these six tasks - the Messiah. You Jesuit Futurists subjectively demand that these tasks must be accomplished by the end of them when the Bible makes no such demand.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Post 288.
You still refuse to admit your bogus reasoning that "evil cannot restrain evil" when I've shown you how God used an evil "lying spirit" and evil Jehu to restrain the evil of Ahab and Jezebel? Your Cognitive Dissonance has kicked in overdrive.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
Wrong again. The prophecy does not demand that the six tasks be completed by the end of the 70 Weeks, but that the 70 Weeks bring us to the active Agent Who will eventually accomplish these six tasks - the Messiah. You Jesuit Futurists subjectively demand that these tasks must be accomplished by the end of them when the Bible makes no such demand.
The Hebrew language doesn't lie, so...looks like you're back to square one. :rolleyes:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
The Hebrew language doesn't lie, so...looks like you're back to square one. :rolleyes:
??? You are so obtuse! It says "70 Weeks are determined...to" accomplish six things. Where does it say that the six things MUST be accomplished by a certain time? It does not. It merely says that the 70 Weeks and the events therein are necessary to accomplish them - the focus of those weeks being the One Who alone is able to do so. Open your eyes, man.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
??? You are so obtuse! It says "70 Weeks are determined...to" accomplish six things. Where does it say that the six things MUST be accomplished by a certain time? It does not. It merely says that the 70 Weeks and the events therein are necessary to accomplish them. Open your eyes, man.
Those six tasks have not been completed yet. They will be completed after Jesus lands on the Mount of Olives. Dan 9:27 is future.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I disagree. The Antichrist Kingdom will make a "covenant of death" and then set up an abomination of desolation in the third temple...

Peace Treaty

Dan 9:27 NIV He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.' In the middle of the 'seven' he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him."

Isa 28:15 NIV You boast, "We have entered into a covenant with death (Rev 6:8 NIV), with the realm of the dead we have made an agreement. When an overwhelming scourge sweeps by, it cannot touch us, for we have made a lie our refuge and falsehood our hiding place."

Isa 57:8-9 NIV Behind your doors and your doorposts you have put your pagan symbols. Forsaking me, you uncovered your bed, you climbed into it and opened it wide; you made a pact with those whose beds you love (Rev 6:8 NIV), and you looked with lust on their naked bodies. 9You went to Moleka with olive oil and increased your perfumes. You sent your ambassadors far away; you descended to the very realm of the dead!

Rev 6:2 NIV I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Rev 6:8 NIV I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Abomination of Desolation

Dan 9:27 NIV He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.' In the middle of the 'seven' he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him."

Matt 24:15 NIV "So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel--let the reader understand--

2 Thess 2:3-4 NIV Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
What "covenant of Death"? The one that applied to ancient Israel? Which has long since expired? Honestly, do you even know the difference between reading the Bible OBJECTIVELY and SUBJECTIVELY?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
What "covenant of Death"? The one that applied to ancient Israel? Which has long since expired? Honestly, do you even know the difference between reading the Bible OBJECTIVELY and SUBJECTIVELY?
No Phone. It is simply stating that the antichrist spirit can make a covenant of death. He did it before, and he will do it again.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
1. Article does not mention the future third temple of Ezek 40-48.

2. The word “confirm” tells us that the covenant already existed? How so?

3. Article does not mention the 1260 days in Revelation.

4. The 70th week of Daniel covenant is eternal, not just for 7 years?

5. Jesus was “cut off”, crucified midway through Daniel’s 70th week? Scripture doesn't say how much later after the 483rd year He was put to death.

Dan 9:25-26 NIV “Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens (49 + 434).’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. 26After the sixty-two ‘sevens (483 years),’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

6. 70 Weeks of Daniel prophecy didn’t bring an end to the Jews being able to be saved, it ended the need for the religion of Judaism and the Old Covenant system, which leads to death?

What about Rom 11:25-27 NIV??????????????

7. The abomination of desolation does not apply to an end-time Antichrist? Matt 24:15 is past?

8. And if there is no 7-year tribulation period, then the pre-tribulation rapture concept is proven to be a myth. For an in-depth Bible study on the rapture, click on The Pretribulation Rapture Myth?

Of course pre-trib rapture is false. That doesn't delete the 70th week! Rapture occurs after the 6th seal in the middle of the last 3.5 years of the 70th week Matt 24:29-31 NIV.
You are not a Protestant, but a hopelessly devoted Jesuit Futurist who believes that the Catholic church's eschatological interpretation of Jesuit Futurism is to be trusted, although you readily admit that Jesuits can't even get right the most fundamental teaching of Christianity: salvation by grace through faith alone. Congratulations, brother ATP, you are just the kind of non-Catholic that the Papacy relies on to spread their lies and deceptions which you have so clearly fallen for.