Who/What is Jesus if not God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It There is no mention of a trinity in the scripture.

There is no mention of the WORD “TRINITY”, in Scripture.
There is no mention of the WORD “BIBLE”, in Scripture.
There is no mention of the WORD “RAPTURE”, in Scripture.
There is no mention of the ACRONYM “OSAS”, in Scripture.

Each word is based on a Scriptural Context.
In the Case of the Tri- (3) united- (1)

We find that context expressly in whose NAME does an individual receive Gods Spiritual Baptism. (Matt 28:19)

Name of the Father, Name of the Son and Name of the Holy Spirit.
Which ONE can BELIEVE IS the Wholly, Whole, Holiness of God...
“Or not”.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Johann

I did not even read what you shared (as recent as now). Though your simpler explanation made me much more at ease (which may be a few pages back when you asked me if I agreed with you or not).

Jesus is not Yahweh, but was Yahweh's Word that came done from heaven born into flesh having the very soul of - the heart, mind, will of Yahweh having been the Word which was then named Jesus (born in flesh) and also Immanuel God with us. Jesus was however as the Word of God - part of Yahweh.

People who believe in Yeshua - Jesus have God with them, and God is desiring for all to come to him.

It is amazing some things you just kind of have to accept or reject when it comes down to reading the Bible.

I explained to my Mother some of the old ways the Israelies did things having sacrificed for the peoples sins once a year, and told her how they would offer the blood of Goats, bulls, birds, and they would tie a rope to the to person incase they died going in...

Amazing things to learn in the Bible you just have to learn to accept no matter how hard it may be hear... Thankfully though I told her, it was because of Jesus and his blood that paid for the price of sin, which was accepted forever - and that is why we do not go and do what the Israelites did though we may present thanksgiving offerings to God in prayer in and through Yeshua - the Word of Yahweh.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
About 120 years ago, a reader wrote to a Christian magazine inquiring about certain beliefs held by the administration. Asking what they believed regarding the trinity, the reply came with which I find a great deal of harmony.

“If I knew what you meant by the term (trinity), I might tell you; but from the days of Athanasius until now all discussion about the Trinity has been an attempt to define the indefinable and the incomprehensible. Thousands have been put to death for not professing belief in a formula which even its professors could not comprehend, nor state in terms that anybody else could comprehend.”

I think that when we start to pontificate (meaning: stating what we believe to be absolute truth that all others must accept in order to be saved) concerning the Godhead, the nature of God, we are trampling on holy ground when we as funnier beings attempt to measure, to analyse, and event to dissect, the Infinite. The trinitarian formulas as established in the early centuries was an attempt to make the human superior to the Divine. God is infinite. No finite mind can comprehend Him as He actually is. Christ is the word—the expression of the thought —of God; and none but He knows the depth of the meaning of that word. "He had a name written that no man knew but He Himself; . . . and His name is called the Word of God."

Reactions: MatthewG

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes probably, I also have a video on the subject…

@Johann : I still do not believe people should believe what I present but consider it, and think about it, and study it out for themselves.

You can’t find treasure if you aren’t willingly to dig deep, and the Spirit searches the deep things of God if one allows it to be done.
Who sent Whom?
The Father sent the Son
If God is absolutely "One" then why did the 1 Father...sent 2..the Son?

Can you see it Matthew?

J.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, both sides can make that claim but only one side has Scripture, definition, logic and language usage on its side.

And that begs the question, why are you posting in this thread - other than to derail it from answering What is Jesus if not God?
Actually, I started posting in this thread seeing that mostly the participants were not addressing that question. From what I saw, it had promptly turned into another Is Jesus God thread, and that's not what the OP was about.

And I'm interested in just who people think Jesus is if He's not God. I know some say He's an angel. Some say He's a man like you and me. What do you say?

If He's a man like you and me, and that He had to learn to obey God - and was disobedient at first - someone here thinks that - how does His death help anyone else?

That's the other question. If Jesus is not God, how did He accomplish what He did?

And yes, both sides can claim divine revelation, but that wasn't the point.

The point was that the Trinity is something that the Holy Spirit reveals to us through a true understanding of the Scripture. You called that an "appeal to ignorance". The actually statement was that this is a revelation from the Spirit.

An "appeal to ignorance" is to make the assertion based on lack of evidence to the contrary. That's not what this was.

Why am I posting on this thread? Maybe my desire to set things right?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you actually knew the scripture, you would know that God does not have blood. Spirits do not have blood. According to this passage God the father does not have blood...

How do you account for the passage?

Acts 20:28 KJV
28) Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Aside from just a denial of what it says, that is.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is foolishness, they wanted to kill him because they did not believe he was the son of God.
Subtle rewording there.

They did not believe He was God, was what the problem was, when you read the text.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most absolutely will not.

And it's been asked in other threads as well with the same lack of direct answers.
And the responses I'm seeing so far on this thread?

Empty. Denial of Scriptures, plainly stated passages, their plain statements denied.

That's no way to approach the Bible. This is not helpful.

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you account for the passage?

Acts 20:28 KJV
28) Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Aside from just a denial of what it says, that is.

Much love!
Stop acting like you know scripture or truly care what is says. You are really only concerned that scripture is forced to conform to your blessed triune god.

Check my post link here below of my other thread concerning Acts 20:28, where I had to school Enoch in another thread, where he thought he had finally found a verse in the Bible, his holy grail scripture for the triune god. He was wrong, as you are here.

The proof for the Pre & Incarnation of Yahshua/Jesus is a fool's errand!

You are welcome...

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I'm interested in just who people think Jesus is if He's not God.

No, you are not. If you were, you would read and not make derailing type posts.

I know some say He's an angel. Some say He's a man like you and me. What do you say?

See post #33.

That's the other question. If Jesus is not God, how did He accomplish what He did?

It is another question that perhaps could be explored more in another thread.

I asked my Bible Study leader a variation. Why did Jesus have to come when the OT said people had the Spirit of God. His brilliant answer was that BC, it was only a few people for a specific period of time. AD it is all. The answer to your query begins with his baptism, when he, like us, receive the Spirit of God.

The point was that the Trinity is something that the Holy Spirit reveals to us through a true understanding of the Scripture. You called that an "appeal to ignorance". The actually statement was that this is a revelation from the Spirit.

Non-trinitarians reject this mystical Appeal to Ignorance out of hand. There is no differnece between understanding Scripture and 'truly' understanding it. A 'true' understanding of any text cannot contradict the explicit words of the text - unless word play is involved and there is no evidence of that. Do you think God will is that we violate the 1C?

'For us, there is one God, the Father.' Hard to write a more anti-trintiarian sentence than St Paul wrote. Your 'true' understanding does not hold up to scrutiny.

Why am I posting on this thread? Maybe my desire to set things right?

Maybe you are setting things wrong, being led by a Spirit of contentiousness.

Reactions: APAK

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is it that you don't believe in the simple core doctrines as written in Scripture?
J.
You wrote this while quoting my OP.

Then you quoted my OP again and wrote this.
I may disagree with you on a lot , but here in full agreement.
J.
I'm confused.

I read all of the first post and still don't know what core doctrines you say I don't believe in.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is a title, and only one person holds that title... not two or three... You have three persons holding the title therefore you have three Gods...
I'm not trinitarian.

I believe God is ONE - just as Scripture says He is.

And I believe Jesus is God - just as Scripture says He is.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the responses I'm seeing so far on this thread?

Empty. Denial of Scriptures, plainly stated passages, their plain statements denied.

That's no way to approach the Bible. This is not helpful.
Most of them cherry pick one single verse out of the Bible to build a doctrine upon and stick to it like glue.

No amount of contradictory verses presented will shake them loose from their agenda and no sound doctrine to the contrary is even considered. In a way, that proves the invalid nature of their position, but they just keep right on preaching it like nobody has spoken a word against it and like the entire Bible backs it up.

What are ya gonna do? Ya know?

Reactions: marks

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Tss... You all cherry pick verses while ignoring others. Few actually admit they could be wrong. Almost everyone here thinks their infallible full of pride.

God said "This is my son"
One has to defy logic and dismiss this scriptural fact to be certain that Jesus is God

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint of God

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Endlessly repeat one's self, or not.

Or, just keep working out different ways to express and explain the same thing, and grow in our ability to communicate, if not to the benefit of the hearer.

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Incorrect, plain and simple
J.
Show me how I am incorrect... God is the title of the supreme spirit... Jesus is the son of God, the supreme spirit... You cannot have two persons holding the
Don't put words in my mouth of which my posts never hinted at.
You wont last long in a Baptist Church.
J

same title,, if there is only one God. I cannot break it down any simpler than that.