Why do we call Genesis thru Malachi the "Old Testament"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
I guess there must be a reason for calling the first half of our bible the "Old Testament"? (Old Covenant). There are many covenants in the first half of our bible.

The only covenant I can see in the New Testament that is made reference to is the one made on Sinai (Ex 34:27ff; Deut 5:2ff, etc)

The Jews call Genesis thru Malachi (other books included) "The Tanakh." I am guessing their reasoning is about as good as ours. They get TaNaKh from the first letters of "Torah - first 5 books of Moses, Nevi'im - prophets, and K'tuvim - writings." They add vowels to TNK and bingo, they get Tanakh.
How do we get ours?

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

burningfire

Mar 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Well, the way I look at it is that Jesus' coming was to fulfill the law. Until Jesus came, sacrifices were made unto God, but when Jesus came, he was the ultimate sacrifice. We no longer have to offer sacrifices unto God. You look at the Pharisees and some of the bogus ideologies they carried just to stay "religious." For instance, you couldn't walk more than a mile on the Sabbath or that was considered work. Seriously? I think God realized that this wasn't working anymore and so something else needed to be changed. Hence, Jesus.

So that, I think, is why we have a distinguishing between Testaments.

Out with the old...in with the new...haha

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
I just think of it as holy scriptures and the first 5 as torah..
New testament are holy scriptures too and I think of it as the testiment of Yeshua,
but in my heart the scriptures are a spiritual vine where I draw fruit (faith, love, charity, hope, ect); The vine being Yeshua.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Well, the way I look at it is that Jesus' coming was to fulfill the law. Until Jesus came, sacrifices were made unto God, but when Jesus came, he was the ultimate sacrifice. We no longer have to offer sacrifices unto God. You look at the Pharisees and some of the bogus ideologies they carried just to stay "religious." For instance, you couldn't walk more than a mile on the Sabbath or that was considered work. Seriously? I think God realized that this wasn't working anymore and so something else needed to be changed. Hence, Jesus.

So that, I think, is why we have a distinguishing between Testaments.

Out with the old...in with the new...haha

Hello burningfire:

You are talking about the "law" which is just a "small part" of Genesis through Malachi. My questions deals with the whole first half of our bible not just the sacrificial system as you are talking about. Also, remember when you say "the law" you are making referecne to the first five books of Moses, Genesis thru Deut.

Thanks for the input.

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

burningfire

Mar 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Hello burningfire:

You are talking about the "law" which is just a "small part" of Genesis through Malachi. My questions deals with the whole first half of our bible not just the sacrificial system as you are talking about. Also, remember when you say "the law" you are making referecne to the first five books of Moses, Genesis thru Deut.

Thanks for the input.

May the Lord be with us,

charlesj

Well, if you look at the law...that was their way to get to heaven...along with the belief in God. Obeying the law was the way to heaven. Looking at Jesus, yeah...we still need to obey the law, but that is the not the way to heaven now...it's Jesus. I think that when Jesus came, that is why we have a split like that. But...you never know, it could be labeled Old and New Testament is segregate the time before Christ and the time after Christ, just to make a distinction.

Johnoneone

Feb 11, 2011
Jesus fulfilled the old testament law the old covenant. By keeping it he offered a new covenant of faith threw grace believing in him. You are not saved by following the law old covenant. You are saved threw Jesus new covenant. The old has passed away and a new is brought in. If you read Hebrews 8:7-13 it says the new covenant was completed by Jesus.
Paul is reminding the Hebrews what God promised threw Jeremiah 31:31 a new covenant promised
Jesus in Matthew 26:28 new covenant confirmed
In Acts this new covenant was for the Hebrews first Acts 3:25-26 then to everyone. What its purpose was

Under the Old Covenant, God did not promise His Holy Spirit, forgiveness of sin, access into His presence, or eternal life. Jesus raised the civil law from its merely carnal application to the nation of Israel to its spiritual application to the church, which would be drawn from all of mankind, including, of course, the Gentiles.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Well, if you look at the law...that was their way to get to heaven...along with the belief in God. Obeying the law was the way to heaven. Looking at Jesus, yeah...we still need to obey the law, but that is the not the way to heaven now...it's Jesus. I think that when Jesus came, that is why we have a split like that. But...you never know, it could be labeled Old and New Testament is segregate the time before Christ and the time after Christ, just to make a distinction.

Hi again burningfire:

The Law was NEVER a way to heaven for the Jew or anyone else. It has ALWAYS been by faith. We (Christians) are not under the law of Moses, we are under the Law of Christ. (For example: Gal 6:2 "...Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ."

charlesj

Jesus fulfilled the old testament law the old covenant. By keeping it he offered a new covenant of faith threw grace believing in him. You are not saved by following the law old covenant. You are saved threw Jesus new covenant. The old has passed away and a new is brought in. If you read Hebrews 8:7-13 it says the new covenant was completed by Jesus.
Paul is reminding the Hebrews what God promised threw Jeremiah 31:31 a new covenant promised
Jesus in Matthew 26:28 new covenant confirmed
In Acts this new covenant was for the Hebrews first Acts 3:25-26 then to everyone. What its purpose was

Under the Old Covenant, God did not promise His Holy Spirit, forgiveness of sin, access into His presence, or eternal life. Jesus raised the civil law from its merely carnal application to the nation of Israel to its spiritual application to the church, which would be drawn from all of mankind, including, of course, the Gentiles.

But my question is "why do we call Genesis through Malachi the Old Testament"?
charlesj

Johnoneone

Feb 11, 2011
The New Testament, sometimes called the Greek Scriptures, is the name given to the part of the Christian Bible that was written after the birth of Jesus. The term is a translation of the Latin Novum Testamentum, which translates the Greek Η Καινη Διαθηκη, Hê Kainê Diathêkê, meaning "The New Covenant" or Testament. It was originally used by early Christians to describe their relationship with God (see 2 Corinthians 3:6-15; Hebrews 9:15-20) and later to designate a particular collection of 27 books.

The words testament and covenant are kind of interchangeable. Google it, every christian should now what, when, where and why there is an old and new covenant. If you dont you dont understand what you believe.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
The New Testament, sometimes called the Greek Scriptures, is the name given to the part of the Christian Bible that was written after the birth of Jesus. The term is a translation of the Latin Novum Testamentum, which translates the Greek Η Καινη Διαθηκη, Hê Kainê Diathêkê, meaning "The New Covenant" or Testament. It was originally used by early Christians to describe their relationship with God (see 2 Corinthians 3:6-15; Hebrews 9:15-20) and later to designate a particular collection of 27 books.

The words testament and covenant are kind of interchangeable. Google it, every christian should now what, when, where and why there is an old and new covenant. If you dont you dont understand what you believe.

Johnoneone:

Now you just told me what you call the New Testament, but I asked, "why do we call Genesis through Malachi "the Old Testament."?

thanks, for your input, but you haven't gone far enough yet to answer the question.

I don't know the answer, but I'm looking for one.

thanks,

charlesj

I just think of it as holy scriptures and the first 5 as torah..
New testament are holy scriptures too and I think of it as the testiment of Yeshua,
but in my heart the scriptures are a spiritual vine where I draw fruit (faith, love, charity, hope, ect); The vine being Yeshua.

Hello Disciple: (learner)

1. I agree that it is Holy Scripture and the first five books are called Torah.

2. The apostles and Jesus referred to Genesis through Malachi as "scriptures."

3. My question is, "why do we call Genesis through Malachi Old Testament?"

charlesj

p.s. I hope we all are "learners" (disciples)

burningfire

Mar 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Here is a little something I found:

The Christian Bible is made up of two sections, the "Old Testament" and the "New Testament." The Old Testament ("OT" for short) is essentially the Jewish Bible, or Tanakh, with some minor variations. It includes religious law, historical narratives, wisdom literature and prophetic writings.

The Name of the "Old Testament"
The word "testament" (Hebrew berîth, Greek diatheke), means "covenant." The term "old testament" thus refers to the covenant which God entered into with Abraham and the people of Israel, and"new testament" refers to the covenant the earliest Christians believed God has entered into will all believers through Christ.

This perspective can be seen in the New Testament itself. At the Last Supper, Jesus speaks of the new testament in his blood. In the second letter to the Corinthian church, the Apostle Paul declares himself a minister "of the new testament" (2 Co 3:6), and calls the covenant entered into on Mount Sinai "the old testament" (3:14). Because the old covenant was embodied in the Jewish scriptures, it was an easy step to use the term "Old Testament" to signify those scriptures.

This use of the term to specifically refer to the Jewish scriptures (as opposed to the old covenant embodied in them) seems to have occurred fairly early, especially in the East. Melito of Sardis and Clement of Alexandria called the scriptures "the books of the old testament" (ta palaia biblia and ta tes palaias diathekes biblia, respectively). Origen repeatedly speaks of the "so-called" Old Testament in reference to the scriptures. In the Latin West, Tertullian frequently called them the "vetus and novum instrumentum" and Cyprian once mentions the "scriptur veteres et nov." The Greek usage ("testament") subsequently became established among Latin-speakers as well and has been the term used by the Christian world ever since.

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/texts/OT.htm

So, maybe, like I said before: It is to segregate the time before and during/after Christ.

Alethos

Mar 8, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Here is a little something I found:

The Christian Bible is made up of two sections, the "Old Testament" and the "New Testament." The Old Testament ("OT" for short) is essentially the Jewish Bible, or Tanakh, with some minor variations. It includes religious law, historical narratives, wisdom literature and prophetic writings.

The Name of the "Old Testament"
The word "testament" (Hebrew berîth, Greek diatheke), means "covenant." The term "old testament" thus refers to the covenant which God entered into with Abraham and the people of Israel, and"new testament" refers to the covenant the earliest Christians believed God has entered into will all believers through Christ.

This perspective can be seen in the New Testament itself. At the Last Supper, Jesus speaks of the new testament in his blood. In the second letter to the Corinthian church, the Apostle Paul declares himself a minister "of the new testament" (2 Co 3:6), and calls the covenant entered into on Mount Sinai "the old testament" (3:14). Because the old covenant was embodied in the Jewish scriptures, it was an easy step to use the term "Old Testament" to signify those scriptures.

This use of the term to specifically refer to the Jewish scriptures (as opposed to the old covenant embodied in them) seems to have occurred fairly early, especially in the East. Melito of Sardis and Clement of Alexandria called the scriptures "the books of the old testament" (ta palaia biblia and ta tes palaias diathekes biblia, respectively). Origen repeatedly speaks of the "so-called" Old Testament in reference to the scriptures. In the Latin West, Tertullian frequently called them the "vetus and novum instrumentum" and Cyprian once mentions the "scriptur veteres et nov." The Greek usage ("testament") subsequently became established among Latin-speakers as well and has been the term used by the Christian world ever since.

http://www.religionf...ty/texts/OT.htm

So, maybe, like I said before: It is to segregate the time before and during/after Christ.

Hi all,

New to the forum.

If you don’t mind I would like to expand on the above to include the following covenants of promise as delivered by Yahweh to His children through the angels:

Note the development of the covenant and how it applies to the royal house of David and the greater David (Jesus Christ):

• Adamic covenant: Gen 3:15. Promised seed who would crush the canal mind and sin.
  • Noah covenant: Gen 9:12. This refers to the covenant of peace made unto all generations "Olahm". A covenant that stretches forward to the Millennium.
  • Abrahamic covenant: Gen 13:14-18. Immortal seed of Abraham will inherit the land of Palestine...also see Galatians 3:26-28 for fulfilment and entrance
  • Jacob's prophecy: Gen 49:8-10. Selection of the tribe of Judah as the royal tribe, which would resulted in the New testament / Covenant by the very Lion of the tribe of Judah.
  • Davidic covenant: 2 Sa 7:12-16. Selection of the family of David as ancestors of the Messiah. This represents the promise of Kingship.
  • Gabriel's visit to Mary: Luk 1:26-35. Selection of the virgin to bear the Son of God. "In the fullness of time" or at God's appointed time He choose to reveal he who would ratify all previous covenants.
There is also one more which rarely gets a mention, but is of great interest to those who understand the "royal priesthood" and what it represents to the Father and its High Priest.

• Phinehas was given a covenant of peace - the promise of a perpetual priesthood in Numbers 25:12-13 & Psa 106:30
Alethos