Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney,

Observing the saturday sabbath as a 'requirement' and attaching it to Christ is contrary to the FINISHED Work of God that HE accomplished for us when HE went to the Cross for our sins.

Salvation is in CHRIST alone and HE is the very ESSENCE of the 7th Day of Rest.

Saturday sabbath then becomes a method unto itself which is outward and has the appearance of service to God.
Afterall, did not God say in Genesis that HE rested from His works and blessed and sanctified the seventh day?

God, knowing ALL things, went even further upon this 'rest' and codified this 'rest' into His law.

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’ ”

This weekly saturday rest was ingrained in the hearts and minds of Israel for thousands of years.

However it could never make the participants 'complete' before God just as the animal sacrifices could never purify us from sin.

So what was/is the Intent and the Purpose of the seventh day being made so 'holy' that if anyone did any work on it, God commands them to be put to death?

Peace and REST in Christ my Brother for "one of these is not like the other"

Hooey!

I've never seen such asinine equivocation in all my life. Is this the way you talk to people face to face?

We've been over all these points a hundred times and you still don't seem to get that no one is advocating for salvation by somehow "working at" resting.

Away with your nefarious wordsmithing!

I forgot to toggle the -ignore- on you before but rest assured I will not see your next merry melody. It is too mind-numbing to bear.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hooey!

I've never seen such asinine equivocation in all my life. Is this the way you talk to people face to face?

We've been over all these points a hundred times and you still don't seem to get that no one is advocating for for salvation by somehow "working at" resting.

Away with your nefarious wordsmithing!

I forgot to toggle the -ignore- on you before but rest assured I will not see your next merry melody. It is too mind-numbing to bear.

Then He began to speak to them in parables: “A man planted a vineyard and set a hedge around it, dug a place for the wine vat and built a tower. And he leased it to vinedressers and went into a far country. 2Now at vintage-time he sent a servant to the vinedressers, that he might receive some of the fruit of the vineyard from the vinedressers. 3And they took him and beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 4Again he sent them another servant, and at him they threw stones, wounded him in the head, and sent him away shamefully treated. 5And again he sent another, and him they killed; and many others, beating some and killing some. 6Therefore still having one son, his beloved, he also sent him to them last, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 7But those vinedressers said among themselves, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’ 8So they took him and killed him and cast him out of the vineyard.

9“Therefore what will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the vinedressers, and give the vineyard to others.
10Have you not even read this Scripture:

‘The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
11This was the Lord’s doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes’?”

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34
27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

The only Commandments that God called the Ten Commandments or even Commandments at all....are in Exodus 34:10:28

The only Commandments that God called the Ten Commandments that are the Covenants starters…..are in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you…. are in Exodus 34:10:28

The only Commandments that God called the Ten Commandments that God told Moses to write on the Tablets of the Testimony are in Exodus 34:10:28

The ten items in chapter 20 are short summaries of the basic morals of the 613 Mosaic Laws.
The Bible does not say they were written on the tablets and are no more significant to the Covenant than any other Law. And God did not call them the Ten Commandments.
Yet it says they were a replacement for tablet Moses broke in pieces, the one God wrote with His finger..

Reactions: Grailhunter

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Observing the saturday sabbath as a 'requirement' and attaching it to Christ is contrary to the FINISHED Work of God that HE accomplished for us when HE went to the Cross for our sins.
Sounds very spiritual and deeply theological. And utter nonsense.
Salvation is in CHRIST alone and HE is the very ESSENCE of the 7th Day of Rest.
Mixing truth with error creates and compounds errors. Yes, salvation is in Christ alone. The last half of your statement is meaningless piffle.
Saturday sabbath then becomes a method unto itself which is outward and has the appearance of service to God.
Afterall, did not God say in Genesis that HE rested from His works and blessed and sanctified the seventh day?
Try hard
God, knowing ALL things, went even further upon this 'rest' and codified this 'rest' into His law.
Confusion. Your entire confused reasoning is what will fuel spiritual Babylon and give her the power to confuse and deceive the nations. It is of the same spirit. It is confused, it sounds important, it has words that give it a resonance of maturity and spirituality, but it's ultimately meaningless and belongs in Babylon's cup. You may deceive others with this mixed up nonsense, but you grossly underestimate us. Don't bother. "Thou dost protest too much".

Reactions: BarneyFife

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds very spiritual and deeply theological. And utter nonsense.

Mixing truth with error creates and compounds errors. Yes, salvation is in Christ alone. The last half of your statement is meaningless piffle.

Try hard

Confusion. Your entire confused reasoning is what will fuel spiritual Babylon and give her the power to confuse and deceive the nations. It is of the same spirit. It is confused, it sounds important, it has words that give it a resonance of maturity and spirituality, but it's ultimately meaningless and belongs in Babylon's cup. You may deceive others with this mixed up nonsense, but you grossly underestimate us. Don't bother. "Thou dost protest too much".
And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’ ”

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

Reactions: mailmandan

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
14You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people
KJV Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

KJV Isaiah 57:20-21
20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.

KJV 1 John 2:3-4
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

KJV Isaiah 8:20
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

KJV 1 John 2:5-6
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

KJV 1 John 3:1-8, 10
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

KJV Psalms 119:172
172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

KJV Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

KJV Revelation 22:14-15
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

• Love

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To all...
KJV Luke 23:56
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Question 1. Was the above before or after the new covenant was ratified?
Question 2. Who were these women?
Question 3. Was the Sabbath still a commandment at this time?

Supplementary question. If anyone was to be told that the Sabbath was no longer a commandment, surely it would have been these women...even if it were by the men warning them not to expect to be saved by their good work in observing the Sabbath the day before right?

If Pentecost is as you say, the time of the establishment of the new 10
9 Commandments, it was 40 days too late. The covenant was ratified by the blood of the Lamb, 40 days before. From that time going forward, nothing and no-one, be it the church, Apostle, or Emperor, could alter it. The covenant once ratified is as a last will and testament...once the testator dies, that's it. Any change to the testament/covenant, is illegal, unlawful, invalid. All changes must be made prior to the death of the testator. That applies in law to day every much as it did in biblical times. If you want to find evidence of a change in the covenant such as the abolition of the Sabbath, you must find it before Calvary. Pentecost is too late.

Hebrews 9:16 "For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator." Hebrews 9:17 "For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth." Hebrews 9:18 "Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood."

this is what the Gospels are all about, the changes in covenants.

Yes. And whatever changes there were, took place at Calvary or before. Could not have lawfully taken place after. Any changes to any covenant after the death of the testator is fraud. The fact that the women honoured the Sabbath after Calvary is testament to the fact that the Sabbath was not changed by Jesus or the apostles. Any later changes by the church, as spoken of and referenced elsewhere in this thread and numerous others, whether by slow tradition over several centuries or as a legislated enactment by an emperor, they are fraudulent changes.
The only way around this is as the Catholic church claims. That they were given authority by Jesus Himself to change the very law of God according to their own sense of divine authority. What you have to decide is whether you think the Catholic church's authority is valid, or you think God's authority over His own laws are supreme. It is the Sabbath that is under scrutiny here. Is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God still a valid commandment, or is the Sunday of the Catholic church a valid commandment. Your choice.

The ten commandments as a stand alone entity were a "whole law." They were not trusted in the NT piece meal or as seperate Commandments disjointed and independent of one another.
Proof:
KJV Exodus 24:12
12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

2. This whole law is enforced in the New Testament. James 2:10, 11. "For whosever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said, also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."
Not a transgressor against just one or two commandments, but a transgressor against the whole law. The "whole law" referred to in this text is the one that says, Thou shalt not kill, and, Thou shalt not commit adultery, and the same law said Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
To prove again that a stand alone whole law given at Sinai is brought over, we refer to the sermon of Stephen, the martyr who preached this side of the day of Pentecost, when the New Testament was fully in force. Acts 7:38. "This is he that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel, which spake to him in the mount Sinai and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us."
This shows that the "lively oracles" received on mount Sinai were to be "given unto us," Christians. Stephen takes this law to show men their sins in this dispensation: hence, it must be in force. (See 1 John 3:4) Proof: "Who have received the law by the disposition of angels and have not kept it."
Further proof that the law is still in force is found in Luke 16:17. "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail." Also, Romans 3:31. "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."
If the law is not "made void," but "established," by faith, and it is "easier for heaven and earth to pass, than for one tittle of the law to fail," we must conclude that the law, as a whole, is brought over into the New Testament.
I have offered these to show the truth that God's commandments are still valid, that the 4th commandment is as valid as the other 9, and that the whole law applies to Christians. The real burden of proof however lies with the naysayers, who with a plethora of excuses and disconnected texts from scripture wrested from their context, pretend this is God's way of declaring the Sabbath void. No no. Only God can declare His own law void, not man's interpretation, and we do not have a "thus saith the Lord" as evidence in support of their opinion.

• Love

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
ALL the scriptures you posted are 'YEAH and AMEN" and speak of CHRIST

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. = JESUS is the LIGHT of the world

KJV 1 John 2:5-6 = JESUS is our LORD

KJV Psalms 119:172 = JESUS is our Righteousness = John 3:16

10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. = Hebrews ch4

JESUS is the Righteousness of God
= "keep My commandments"

1Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
3For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it." - Hebrews ch4

"Now it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because, The righteous will live by faith.” - Galatians ch3

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God." - Colossians ch2

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. — Galatians 3:24

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There was no day called Sabbath before Moses.
Correct, the Scriptures - GOD in the Scriptures - then called it "the Seventh Day" OF HIS CREATING (not of the previous six days of God's 'creation'), which God "made for man" for His Eternal Purpose namely the salvation of sinners Adam and Eve and all His chosen until the New Heavens and New Earth He will bring to fulfilment upon earth "IN THAT DAY", "THE LAST DAY", "The Seventh Day" OF HIS COMING AGAIN.... AND THE CARCASSES OF THE MOCKERS WILL BE SEEN LYING BESIDE THE ROAD TO THE NEW JERUSALEM THAT DESCENDED FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN IN THAT GREAT DAY OF THE LORD UPON WHICH HE SHALL BE WORSHIPPED BY ALL THE SAVED AND FOREVERMORE.
That's right, Sunday-worshippers, the saved WILL SEE YOU AGAIN, and on the Sabbath of the LORD THEIR GOD, THEIR AND YOUR JUDGE. "My Sabbath shall be sign between Me and you that I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD!"

1711528210592.png

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Exodus 31:12-17 has a DEATH Penalty on sabbath rest because the 7th Day speaks of CHRIST and the Works that were FINISHED before the foundation of the world.

WARNING: God never revoked the DEATH Penalty for refusing His REST ..... WARNING: Refusing God's REST in CHRIST and/or replacing the Eternal REST of God with saturday sabbath is idolatry.
When a SDA commands you keep the saturday sabbath as under the law, they commit sin and reject the REST in CHRIST.

<Exodus 31:12-17 has a DEATH Penalty on sabbath rest because the 7th Day speaks of CHRIST and the Works that were FINISHED before the foundation of the world.>

EXACTLY, except that YOU OMIT, CUT OUT, MUTILATE, ABUSE God's Word in Exodus 31:12-17 that mentions Christ's Works He before the foundation of the world established and IN HIM HAD FINISHED in "the Sabbath Day of rest HOLY TO THE LORD … sign between ME and the children (“true believers”) of Elohim God of Israel, I-AM THE LORD WHO HAVING REVIVED on The Seventh Day RESTED.

WARNING: God never revoked the DEATH Penalty for refusing His REST ..... WARNING: Refusing God's Rest in Christ provided from the creation of the world, replacing Him the Saviour Lord of the Sabbath and HIS sign of HIS allegiance to HIS elect in all time and eternity, with MAN’S day of worship on Sunday, <IS IDOLATRY>.
When a Papist commands you keep the First Day of the week and you submit to his hegemony and tyranny, you are under his law, as well as commit sin under God’s Law; and you in effect commit suicide, rejecting Divine Rest through Christ “in the Power of His Resurrection” “by the exceeding greatness of his Strength which God exercised WHEN He raised Him from the dead”—“on the Sabbath”.

Saturdarians and Sundayscarians alike – be still and hear the Word of God, SCRIPTURE, speak, “Today” - Genesis 3:8 and 2:2,3 – “harden not your heart!”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<Exodus 31:12-17 has a DEATH Penalty on sabbath rest because the 7th Day speaks of CHRIST and the Works that were FINISHED before the foundation of the world.>

EXACTLY, except that YOU OMIT, CUT OUT, MUTILATE, ABUSE God's Word in Exodus 31:12-17 that mentions Christ's Works He before the foundation of the world established and IN HIM HAD FINISHED in "the Sabbath Day of rest HOLY TO THE LORD … sign between ME and the children (“true believers”) of Elohim God of Israel, I-AM THE LORD WHO HAVING REVIVED on The Seventh Day RESTED.

WARNING: God never revoked the DEATH Penalty for refusing His REST ..... WARNING: Refusing God's Rest in Christ provided from the creation of the world, replacing Him the Saviour Lord of the Sabbath and HIS sign of HIS allegiance to HIS elect in all time and eternity, with MAN’S day of worship on Sunday, <IS IDOLATRY>.
When a Papist commands you keep the First Day of the week and you submit to his hegemony and tyranny, you are under his law, as well as commit sin under God’s Law; and you in effect commit suicide, rejecting Divine Rest through Christ “in the Power of His Resurrection” “by the exceeding greatness of his Strength which God exercised WHEN He raised Him from the dead”—“on the Sabbath”.

Saturdarians and Sundayscarians alike – be still and hear the Word of God, SCRIPTURE, speak, “Today” - Genesis 3:8 and 2:2,3 – “harden not your heart!”
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded/REJECTED
On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. — Romans 3:27-28

Saturday worshippers under the law is IDOLATRY, against FAITH in CHRIST and His Finished Work.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded/REJECTED
On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. — Romans 3:27-28

Saturday worshippers under the law is IDOLATRY, against FAITH in CHRIST and His Finished Work.

The double standard here is just so ridiculous. Is anyone accusing you of boasting if you say you don't murder, sleep around, rob banks, dishonor your parents, etc.?

Do you avoid these things? If so, then you must be a legalist and an idolater, right?

Give me a break.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it." - Hebrews ch4

"Now it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because, The righteous will live by faith.” - Galatians ch3

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God." - Colossians ch2

You shouldn't quote texts to confuse people about their duty to God. That's going to be an awful thing to have to answer for.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody can seem to find any Sabbath COMMANDS in the NT. To the contrary:

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

But some sure love to preach it!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody can seem to find any Sabbath COMMANDS in the NT. To the contrary:

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

But some sure love to preach it!

Colossians 2:16 doesn't mean the 4th commandment has been repealed like Prohibition in some worldly government constitution, Jack. You don't really believe that, do you? Come on. How long have you been a Christian? :)

:hearteyes:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Hobie How sad is it that this issue is yet another divider among professed Christians?

The law given to Israel was exclusive to them. It was the first mention of the Sabbath after God’s sanctifying his 7th day of rest in Genesis. Nowhere is there a Sabbath observed before Israel’s release from Egypt and their receiving the Law through Moses. No one....not Adam...not Noah...not Abraham....not any faithful servant of God prior to Moses, ever observed a weekly Sabbath......so why is there controversy over this?

Could the “Sabbath” that God sanctified and blessed at creation, be something more than the weekly Sabbath” given to Israel? That was a weekly reminder of their release from Egypt. But could it have deeper meaning than that?

The Scriptures confirm that this was a law given only to Israel...no one else. (Exodus 31:16-17) When Christ gave his life, the law was done away with...Paul said it was a “curse” to God’s people because no one could keep it perfectly. (Gal 3:13; Rom 7:6)
They were now free from the written code, but held to the “law of the Christ” by his teachings, and by their Bible trained conscience. The heart is now where God’s laws are written in all that Christ taught.

With the death of Christ and the implementation of the “new covenant”, the written Law was no longer binding on Christians......and Gentiles had never been under the Mosaic law anyway. All now came under one law that should have united them, but certain Jews wanted to impose their Law on these Gentiles....something God never commanded them to do. It was the circumcision issue that came to the fore because these Jews were now requiring something that God no longer did.

They were told that there were some “necessary things” that Gentiles in particular had to observe....
Acts 15:28-29...
“For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Among the “necessary things” there was no mention of circumcision or of a Sabbath observance. These “necessary things” pertained mostly to Gentiles because God’s law was already observed by Jews in these matters. Upon Jesus’ death and with the teachings of the apostles (especially after Gentiles were accepted into the Christian congregation) the Jews had to learn a new way of life under a much less rigid law and a more loving arrangement that they had ever had under their leadership.

So why there is such a focus on a law that is no longer binding? It makes me wonder if it is just a distraction from the things that Christ DID command his disciples to carry out....namely the preaching work entailed in ‘the great commission’. Unlike the Sabbath, which requires a small amount of effort to comply, the commission to preach requires knowledge and commitment to Christ’s teachings and a message that was to be “preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations” before the foretold “end” would come. (Matt 24:14; Matt 28:19-20; Matt 10:11-14) Actual physical time and effort is required to fulfill that commission.....so who is doing it?

It entailed taking Christ’s message out to the people....not waiting for people to wander in off the streets while “church” was in progress. It was not a request either....it was a command, so no pretending that it wasn’t necessary and that we could find excuses not to do that vital preaching work....it was to form the basis for Christ’s judgment.....if people listened to the message they were blessed with wonderful knowledge and a hope for the future, but if they rejected it, they had no excuse come judgment day.

As Paul said....In Acts 20:20-21...
“while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house. 21 But I thoroughly bore witness both to Jews and to Greeks about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.”

After Gamaliel had finished admonishing the Jews concerning their treatment of Christ’s disciples in Acts 5:34-42 it says....
“At this they took his advice, and they summoned the apostles, flogged them, and ordered them to stop speaking on the basis of Jesus’ name, and let them go.

41 So they went out from before the Sanʹhe·drin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name. 42 And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.”

Here we have prime examples of what we should, (as Christians) be focussing on.....the Sabbath is nowhere in sight, and neither are the Christians who are supposed to be following in the apostle’s footsteps...at least JW’s are known for their witnessing work, “publicly and from house to house” in all nations, as our name suggests.

I believe that this focus on the “seventh day” distracts from the real focus, which should be our commission to preach. It was, after all, Christ’s parting words to his disciples.
The churches cannot carry it out because they have no idea what the Kingdom of God is, and what its purpose is. Their claims to be “born again” are betrayed by their lack of knowledge of this vital part of God’s purpose in our eternal future......

The Kingdom is the answer....so what is the question?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where is your heart.

Hugs
Yes! The heart is a vital organ in our physical make up, but even more so in our spiritual nature.
It is the dictates of our spiritual heart that we respond to most…the seat of our feelings and emotions.
God can capture that heart and draw us to his truth, (John 6:44) if we have the right attitude….but the devil too can play that game, giving the heart what it wants, rather then what it needs. Selfish desire is what undid the devil and he gave in to it, becoming God’s adversary. He wanted the worship of the humans which rightfully belonged to God….so he appealed to the new and more inexperienced member of the human family first.

Right at the beginning…..the devil got to Eve by suggesting that God was withholding something that humans had a right to take. He suggested that she would be better off with this this knowledge so that she could decide for herself what was good and what was bad….once she has tasted the fruit and she didn’t die, it seemed as if the serpent was correct, so she offered the fruit to her husband…..Adam took the fruit, but for a completely different reason….he knew that if God said they would die, that it was going to take place, if not immediately, then in time,(which is what happened). They began the slow decent into death from that very day. Adam did not want to be without the wife he had waited so long for God to create. So he threw in his lot with her, and the rest, as they say…is history.

“The good news (gospel) of the kingdom” is that Jesus is appointed as its King, to administer its rule over redeemed mankind on earth. His “saints”, all personally chosen by God, will assist him in its administration, as all governments have such assistants in their appointed positions in government. We can see the order with which God directed his people in ancient times. All overseers had someone to answer to. Even Jesus is subject to his Father as the son of God. (1 Cor 11:3)

The kingdom is the answer to all mankind’s troubles….it will restore all that we lost when our first parents were led off the path to everlasting life in paradise. Imagine having it all back…..no pain or suffering, no evil people people, no wars or crime….and no death. (Rev 21:2-4).

That is the life God originally planned for us….the devil took it away through the humans he manipulated for his own selfish purpose, and Christ came to buy it all back for us…what an outstanding act of love on the part of Jesus, and the wonderful God who sent him!

Reactions: TheHC