Young elders scriptural?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
What's your view?

A good friend of mine was made an elder at his church recently. I am happy for him. But .....he is 33.

So, I was looking through scripture on qualifications for elders mentioning / suggesting age and found nothing (apart from the elders = elders)

It's a joke imho. It should be a clear-cut rule in Christianity that elders cannot be younger then 45 / 50. Elders = elders = older people = 45 plus. I guess the question is what respected church would appoint young elders?

Youth = youth = inevitable mistakes / naivety. Elder > 50 > evangelist / apostle.

Some applicable verses so you don't need to hunt them.

1 Tim 3:1-7 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?

Titus 1:5-9 This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

1 Tim 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity

1 Tim 5:1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers,

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I believe that the young who show themselves to be mature, holy and trained and skilled in the ministry of the Word and the preaching and teaching of the gospel can serve as elders. Timothy could've been considered an elder for him serving as a pastor over the churches Paul sent him too. In the United Holy Church of America which is the church I am affiliated with the ordination of the eldership are for those who are pastors. Lay ministers are licensed and whether you are old or young if God called you to the pastorate, tested by the Board of Presbytery and Board of Elders then you will receive ordination which is the eldership.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
UHCAIan said:
I believe that the young who show themselves to be mature, holy and trained and skilled in the ministry of the Word and the preaching and teaching of the gospel can serve as elders. Timothy could've been considered an elder for him serving as a pastor over the churches Paul sent him too. In the United Holy Church of America which is the church I am affiliated with the ordination of the eldership are for those who are pastors. Lay ministers are licensed and whether you are old or young if God called you to the pastorate, tested by the Board of Presbytery and Board of Elders then you will receive ordination which is the eldership.
Hi. Do you know of young elders being ordained at your church? Ages?

No doubt Timothy was full of the Holy Spirit. But should the underlined and being filled with the Holy Spirit qualify one as being an elder? An overseer? Definitely a valued preacher / evangelist to listen too...but for marriage counselling? Confession? Would you?

30 year olds today are still kids. We play video games, stay with parents and get married late. An elder = overseer = buck ends with = mature = everyone in church can respect = Christian for 10-20 years = grey hair.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I have none some as young as 20 and back during my grandparents day young ministers at age 16 and up were ordained and many pastoring churches and being faithful in ministry. I believe it depends on the person whom God calls and the Spirit confirms!

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

But, unlike William Munny (Clint Eastwood) "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."; deserve has everything to do with it.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Elder should be older but it is more important that they be 33 being a Christian for 25 years than for them to be 50 only being a Christian two years.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Agreed Clark :).

Youth on fire with the Holy Spirit = great evangelists. Youth however never any good at overseeing / long time good reputation. Being wise comes with age. The older the Christian, the wiser, the more qualified to be an elder.

A youngster should only be selected if there are no long time / old Christians.