1 John 1: Mystery Resolved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1st Century Lady provided the insight to 1 John 1, that helps to unlock the mystery of how John can be speaking of walking in the Light with Jesus, in whom there is no sin, and yet warn against saying we have no sin.

There are two different kinds of believers in 1 John 1: those who are walking in the Light as Jesus is in the Light, and those saying they are, and are not.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The difference is between those doing it, and those claiming it: those walking the walk and those only talking the talk.

The humility of John was to include himself in the warning of becoming as one who only says Lord, Lord, while also doing works of iniquity.

Them walking in the Spirit in deed and in truth, have no sin even as there is no sin in Christ, but them only doctrinally claiming it while sinning, are utterly decieved with no more truth of Scripture in them.

OSAS faith aloners are even now claiming the doctrinal status of the Light, while still walking in the darkness of sinning flesh.

They likewise are now saying they have not sinned doctrinally, while doing the sinful works of the flesh, by declaring all such present sinning was already forgiven beforehand.

And so, there are the saints in Christ Jesus, that are doing His righteousness, even as He is righteous, and there are the decieved claimers of righteousness by faith alone, while still doing the unrighteousness of the world.

Them walking in the Light as He is in the Light, are being cleansed of all unrighteousness and have no sin in their souls, but them saying they are without sin by doctrine only, while doing it, have no truth in them.

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When any of the faith aloners claim the doctrinal status of being in the Light, of being righteous, of not sinning, just ask one simple question: ok, but are you doing the manifest works of the flesh of the unrighteous, that shall not inherit the kingdom of God?

They will not say no.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The humility of John to include himself in the warning of not becoming talkers only, is to avoid boasting of our righteousness in Christ.

Though we are not sinning, and there is no sin in us, even as in Christ, no man can say he cannot be tempted with sin, so that there is no sin in the world, that we can be tempted with anymore.

That perfection of mind and body will only be in the first resurrection of the dead.

Until then, even as Jesus on the cross, all men can still be tempted by the devil to sin with the world.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1st Century Lady provided the insight to 1 John 1, that helps to unlock the mystery of how John can be speaking of walking in the Light with Jesus, in whom there is no sin, and yet warn against saying we have no sin.

There are two different kinds of believers in 1 John 1: those who are walking in the Light as Jesus is in the Light, and those saying they are, and are not.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The difference is between those doing it, and those claiming it: those walking the walk and those only talking the talk.

The humility of John was to include himself in the warning of becoming as one who only says Lord, Lord, while also doing works of iniquity.

Them walking in the Spirit in deed and in truth, have no sin even as there is no sin in Christ, but them only doctrinally claiming it while sinning, are utterly decieved with no more truth of Scripture in them.

OSAS faith aloners are even now claiming the doctrinal status of the Light, while still walking in the darkness of sinning flesh.

They likewise are now saying they have not sinned doctrinally, while doing the sinful works of the flesh, by declaring all such present sinning was already forgiven beforehand.

And so, there are the saints in Christ Jesus, that are doing His righteousness, even as He is righteous, and there are the decieved claimers of righteousness by faith alone, while still doing the unrighteousness of the world.

Them walking in the Light as He is in the Light, are being cleansed of all unrighteousness and have no sin in their souls, but them saying they are without sin by doctrine only, while doing it, have no truth in them.

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
Yes, and John uses the same word, SAY, and SAYS in 1 John 1 and 2 to contrast those who talk but don't walk. All the verses that use 'say' in 1 John 1 are not a Christian and still have sin in them, never having confessed their sin and been cleansed of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. And the same goes for 1 John 2 and the word, 'says.'

But again the false teachers twist the meaning to justify sin in their lives.

1 John 1:

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6 If we SAY that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we WALK in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we SAY that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we SAY that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:
The Test of Knowing Him
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who SAYS, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who SAYS he abides in Him ought himself also to WALK just as He walked.

7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.

9 He who SAYS he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how to transfer quotes from other threads, but you get full honor to whom honor due.

It is a beautiful insight of the Spirit of truth.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how to transfer quotes from other threads, but you get full honor to whom honor due.

Thanks. I've been teaching the Semitic Writing Styles which in this case is called contrast from 5-10 LIGHT vs DARKNESS. But no one could really grasp it on the forums. I usually learn everything by the Spirit, but this time I have to give credit to my favorite teacher who also doesn't teach anything he hasn't learned from the Spirit. I trust him. This was his - Leroy Surface, Calvary Outreach Church. cochurch.org. His books are free. Check it out. This juicy morsel was from his commentary on 1 John called Foundations. Sign up for his monthly books to your door.

I first learned about him from a missionary who got his books but didn't understand him. In a Bible study she told me about him, that she doesn't understand what I teach, but that he and I teach the same thing. So I looked him up.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When any of the faith aloners claim the doctrinal status of being in the Light, of being righteous, of not sinning, just ask one simple question: ok, but are you doing the manifest works of the flesh of the unrighteous, that shall not inherit the kingdom of God?

They will not say no.
I really don't know what you are talking about here. People who believe in the security of the believer are all unrighteous?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't know what you are talking about here. People who believe in the security of the believer are all unrighteous?
Only those sinning in the works of the flesh are the unrighteous.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The full assurance of faith not to be doing so, and continuing not to do so by grace, is not to be boasted of, but is to be done thankfully with grace upon us in the fear of the Lord.

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

With this context, you can now read again and understand what Scripture is teaching in 1 John 1.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. I've been teaching the Semitic Writing Styles which in this case is called contrast from 5-10 LIGHT vs DARKNESS. But no one could really grasp it on the forums. I usually learn everything by the Spirit, but this time I have to give credit to my favorite teacher who also doesn't teach anything he hasn't learned from the Spirit. I trust him. This was his - Leroy Surface, Calvary Outreach Church. cochurch.org. His books are free. Check it out. This juicy morsel was from his commentary on 1 John called Foundations. Sign up for his monthly books to your door.

I first learned about him from a missionary who got his books but didn't understand him. In a Bible study she told me about him, that she doesn't understand what I teach, but that he and I teach the same thing. So I looked him up.
I've looked him up as you suggested.

What you say about learning from the Spirit, is revelation of what is already written in Scripture. The Spirit of truth guides us into all truth of Scripture, not into some new truth we've thought of on our own, and then try to twist Scripture to conform to it:

Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

It's good to receive good instruction and correction in Scripture from others, but we must never rely only on them, but must also understand each son of God is given the Spirit of Christ to understand all things written in Scripture for ourselves.

It takes reading, studying, meditating, and most importantly understanding as by revelation in the midnight hours.

However, if we're not doing it, then it is all made of none effect to us. The error of OSAS faith alone, is it has nothing to do with doing it, and even preaches against doing it, as though the written word of God were some sort of commandment or law to be obeyed.

God forbid.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've looked him up as you suggested.

What you say about learning from the Spirit, is revelation of what is already written in Scripture. The Spirit of truth guides us into all truth of Scripture, not into some new truth we've thought of on our own, and then try to twist Scripture to conform to it:

Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

It's good to receive good instruction and correction in Scripture from others, but we must never rely only on them, but must also understand each son of God is given the Spirit of Christ to understand all things written in Scripture for ourselves.

It takes reading, studying, meditating, and most importantly understanding as by revelation in the midnight hours.

However, if we're not doing it, then it is all made of none effect to us. The error of OSAS faith alone, is it has nothing to do with doing it, and even preaches against doing it, as though the written word of God were some sort of commandment or law to be obeyed.

God forbid.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

About ten years ago, realizing that there is one Author so there is only one true interpretation of every verse, I prayed and asked God to wipe away out of my mind all denominational errors and to teach me the truth. My mind exploded. One revelation knowledge after another. And it hasn't stopped. Sometimes I'll be right in the middle of writing a post of what I've already received, and new things come to me. What I know now is all exegesis, no eisegesis. And Leroy Surface did the same thing. God reveals to him the same interpretations He gives me. That's why I can trust him, and I seeing as I already knew that 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 were not Christians, his teaching helped me put it into words that others would understand. His seeing the word "say" helped me teach what I already knew.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just hold down the mouse and scan over the part you want to quote. Once it is highlighted, a quote, reply button will appear. Hit quote, and then bring it to the spot you want it to be. In this case, I brought it as a reply to your post.

Good night.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thankfully NONE of us will be judged by one another nor any man !

It will all be done by the One God who sees all the heart, thoughts in the mind and the actions of those calling themselves believers.

It is fruitless and reveals every ones spirit to argue, rip apart, privately interpertate and decimate the WORD OF GOD. By its TRUTHS and COMMANDMENTS, We all will be judged !

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus' disciples are identified easily sir, he said by their fruits. Fruits is primarily doctrinal teachings, and then on an individual level, conduct. We must keep in mind however, that no Christian is perfect, so conduct is not always a great identifier, but teaching Biblical falsehoods can not be mistaken.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About ten years ago, realizing that there is one Author so there is only one true interpretation of every verse, I prayed and asked God to wipe away out of my mind all denominational errors and to teach me the truth. My mind exploded. One revelation knowledge after another. And it hasn't stopped. Sometimes I'll be right in the middle of writing a post of what I've already received, and new things come to me. What I know now is all exegesis, no eisegesis. And Leroy Surface did the same thing. God reveals to him the same interpretations He gives me. That's why I can trust him, and I seeing as I already knew that 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 were not Christians, his teaching helped me put it into words that others would understand. His seeing the word "say" helped me teach what I already knew.
The same happened with me when I broke spiritually from a holiness Pentecostal cult group. I began to read Scripture only as written with no preconceived notions, and voila!, all things in Scripture became new and good and clean and true, and many many of the things taught in that cult pertaining to holiness living and ministry were exposed as tradition, lording over, and filthy lucre seeking of men.

That is why Jesus tells us to come every time, as simple little children in His lap, to read Scripture exactly as it is written and believe and do it, and not as we think it is written because of others, or would like it to be written because of our own desires.

Here is the golden rule of rightly dividing the word of truth: To rightly divide between what is written and what is not.

Here is the golden rule of ministry: to only minister what is written, and never minister our own private interpretation of Scripture, as though it were written.

Example: Scripture teaches that drunkenness is a sin. We can personally apply that within the law by not drinking wine, drinking wine moderately to enjoy it, or drinking wine for health purposes only.

We must minister only what is written, not to be drunk with wine and a drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of God, but we must not minister our private application of it by declaring drinking wine at all is a sin.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' disciples are identified easily sir, he said by their fruits. Fruits is primarily doctrinal teachings, and then on an individual level, conduct. We must keep in mind however, that no Christian is perfect, so conduct is not always a great identifier, but teaching Biblical falsehoods can not be mistaken.
The phony perfectionist card is for silly children, and does not become you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically, that's how he labels believers who believe in the security of the believer or OSAS.

Reactions: RLT63

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

*Walking in darkness is descriptive of children of the devil. Walking in the light is descriptive of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. In vs. 11 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother.

*Notice that "walks in darkness" and "hates his brother" is descriptive of "children of the devil." These are not two separate camps of Christians but children of God being compared with children of the devil.

Reactions: RLT63 and farouk

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same happened with me when I broke spiritually from a holiness Pentecostal cult group. I began to read Scripture only as written with no preconceived notions, and voila!, all things in Scripture became new and good and clean and true, and many many of the things taught in that cult pertaining to holiness living and ministry were exposed as tradition, lording over, and filthy lucre seeking of men.

That is why Jesus tells us to come every time, as simple little children in His lap, to read Scripture exactly as it is written and believe and do it, and not as we think it is written because of others, or would like it to be written because of our own desires.

Here is the golden rule of rightly dividing the word of truth: To rightly divide between what is written and what is not.

Here is the golden rule of ministry: to only minister what is written, and never minister our own private interpretation of Scripture, as though it were written.

Example: Scripture teaches that drunkenness is a sin. We can personally apply that within the law by not drinking wine, drinking wine moderately to enjoy it, or drinking wine for health purposes only.

We must minister only what is written, not to be drunk with wine and a drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of God, but we must not minister our private application of it by declaring drinking wine at all is a sin.

Yes, I also found out that some of the Pentecostal denominations such as AOG and 4 Square have intermarried with some of the errors of Calvinism. Yikes.