2 Corin 13:5

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

garyfromvernon

Aug 13, 2010
Hi everyone, I am kinda in a debate. I was hoping someone could help me out with Greek. in
2 Corinthians 13:5 (New International Version)

[sup]5[/sup]Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?
In the J.W. Bible it reads. "Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in union with you". Every Translation I can find says "that Christ Jesus is IN you. I just wanted to know from the Greek, if "in UNION with you" is possible in the Greek. Thank you very much for any replie's, God bless you all.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Hi everyone, I am kinda in a debate. I was hoping someone could help me out with Greek. in

[sup]5[/sup]Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?
In the J.W. Bible it reads. "Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in union with you". Every Translation I can find says "that Christ Jesus is IN you. I just wanted to know from the Greek, if "in UNION with you" is possible in the Greek. Thank you very much for any replie's, God bless you all.

Gary,
First, if you are a serious Bible student you will want to get a King James Version Bible, preferably the Companion Bible, edited by E. W. Bullinger (NOT the condensed one) and a Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance published by Hendrickson Publishers (Not Nelson’s). If you had the proper study tools you could have easily done this yourself.

Second, put down your NIV.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in (G1722) the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in (G1722) you, except ye be reprobates?

G1722
ἐν
en
en
A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), that is, a relation of rest (intermediate between G1519 and G1537); “in”, at, (up-) on, by, etc.: - about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-) by (+ all means), for (. . . sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-) in (-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-) on, [open-] ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, [speedi-] ly, X that, X there (-in, -on), through (-out), (un-) to(-ward), under, when, where (-with), while, with (-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) prep.

viii. en governs only one case (the Dative), and denotes being or remaining within, with the primary idea of rest and continuance. It has regard to place and space (e.g. Matt. 10:16. Luke 5:16), or sphere of action (e.g. Matt. 14:2. Rom. 1:5, 8; 6:4).

It is also used for the efficient cause as emanating from within, and hence has sometimes the force of by, denoting the instrument, with, passing on to union and fellowship; en denoting inclusion, and sun (No. xvi, below) denoting conjunction. En denotes also continuance in time (Matt. 2:1; 27:40. John 11:10). (Companion Bible, Appendix 104. viii)

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

'union' is possible in the greek as you can see from pauls concordant reference which states:
"It is also used for the efficient cause as emanating from within, and hence has sometimes the force of by, denoting the instrument, with, passing on to union and fellowship..."

In many instances we see the same greek word ἐν being used to denote unity and oneness as opposed to a physical indwelling such as at John 17:21 in the Greek Interlinear "That all may be one (ἐν) as you father in (ἐν) me and I in (ἐν) you, that also they in (ἐν) us may be..."
The NIV translates it this way:
"that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us..."

That verse is talking about Christians being in unity with one another just as Christ in in the same unity with God. It would be wrong to assume that the ἐν in that verse is referring to christians 'indwelling' in each other. For that reason, the JW bible uses the term 'union' to express the fellowship of christ with the disciples as opposed to Jesus literally dwelling within them. There are many other examples of where the context clearly shows that 'unity' is being discussed such as:

Greek Interlinear: Colosians 2:5-6 "...But in the spirit with you I am rejoicing and seeing your order and the firmness in Christ faith of your. As therefore you received Christ Jesus the Lord, in (ἐν) him walk"

NIV: "I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is. So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him"

NWT: "I am with YOU in the spirit, rejoicing and beholding YOUR good order and the firmness of YOUR faith toward Christ. Therefore, as YOU have accepted Christ Jesus the Lord, go on walking in union with him"