About the Unforgivable Sin, Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anion

Dec 14, 2022
Archdale
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey yall,

I found an article that talks about the Christian philosophies and interpretations around the unforgivable sin and other scriptures of doom. I hope it will be a great resource for people fearing displeasing God and who are haunted by scary bible verses like "falling away", and "willfully sinning."

Here is the link- (link removed. Please read our forum rules regarding links)

Its main point is that it is impossible for a normal Christian to commit the unforgivable sin based upon scripture in the original greek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: marks and atpollard

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is pretty cool information, thank you.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, the text actually tells you what the unforgivable sin is plainly.
It is compared to speaking bad words against Jesus. People commit blasphemy (speak bad words) against Jesus and that is forgivable. But to speak bad words against the Holy Spirit (as a believer) is never forgivable.
It says this sin will not be forgiven in the world to come, as well.
Meaning, one can commit this sin in the Millennium or the 1,000 year reign of Christ.
No offense, I love all people, but it is unfortunate that one has to do a dance and pony show to ignore what the Bible says plainly in English.

My encouragement (if it applies to you): Don’t change God’s Word to make it sound comforting to you. Just read it and believe it and fear God.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cut to the answer from the article ...

The Secret Is In The Greek…​

For those who have the “by-the-text” interpretation mention above, one piece of information that helped me incredibly is understanding the Greek grammar tenses. You can see from the quotes of Matthew, Mark, and Luke above that I bolded the verbs Jesus used to describe committing the unforgivable sin. Notice that all of those verbs are present tense. Here is the good news: greek present tense verbs can often times mean “continually doing (something)”. Scholars of Ancient Greek can confirm that Greek present tense has that aspect of “continually”. If you apply the “continually” Greek meaning to Jesus’ words about the unforgivable sin you get something like this:​
Matthew 12:31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who CONTINUALLY speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever CONTINUALLY speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.”​
Mark 3:28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may CONTINUALLY utter; 29 but he who CONTINUALLY blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”​
Luke 12:10 “And anyone who CONTINUALLY speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who CONTINUALLY blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.”​
So the unforgivable sin is no longer a single action, but a continuous action and mindset. You have to continually blaspheme in order for it to be unforgivable. And that is why Jesus said it is unforgivable in the first place–because of the continual action.​
This greek grammar insight is actually understood by most Christians. There is a Bible verse in the New testament that most Christians understand as “continually sin” or “continue to always sin” even though it is worded as present tense.​
“1 John 3:8 He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning….”​
Most scholars and pastors understand that the Bible means those who continually commit sin and never stopping is of the devil, not just anyone that sins one more time.​
Same is true for understanding the unforgivable sin. It is the continual blaspheming that is unforgivable, not just one sin and not even dozens of sins of blasphemy. Only never repenting is unforgivable.​
And because most sane people will repent, they can’t commit the unforgivable sin.​
... in case anyone was in a hurry. ;)

Reactions: marks and Adam

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I was a child I got upset about something (it was so petty I don't even remember what) and cursed at God. I had been worried ever since if I had committed an unforgiveable sin.

So I prayed about this and this is the conclusion - is there anyone here who has a small child? Is there anyone here who, if that child threw a tantrum, and swore at you and called you names and kicked and screamed at you, then afterwards, came to you apologizing in remorse, that you would refuse them and throw them out onto the streets? Not a single one of you would do this. So isn't it the height of arrogance to think that your loving mercy exceeds that of God's? If even you, a sinner, can forgive your child for lashing out at you, then certainly God's grace is much greater.

I agree with the position that there is a difference between what amounts to throwing a tantrum and the conscious and willful rejection of God, as the Pharisees had done.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the Unforgivable Sin?

Author: Bible Highlighter.

The “Unforgivable Sin” is saying bad words against the Spirit in rejection of God only while as a believer who has tasted the goodness of the Spirit and salvation. As for blasphemy against the Son of God: If a Spirit filled believer says bad words against Jesus, they can be forgiven. However, a believer cannot say bad words to the Holy Spirit after having tasted of the Spirit and be forgiven. So this is not a sin that an unbeliever (who has never tasted of the Spirit) can commit. How so?

Taking into Account Certain Scriptural Points:

• While Paul may not have committed this sin, Paul said, “Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.” (1 Timothy 1:13) (Note: Why is Paul concerned about being forgiven of these sins?).
  • ‭‭Hebrews 12:17 says, “For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.”
  • Christ draws all men unto Himself (See: John 12:32).
  • Anyone who comes to Christ, he will in no wise cast out (John 6:37).
  • Jesus says, “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him.” (John 6:44).
  • The Lord is… not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9).
  • Hebrews 6:4-6 says, “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”
  • Hebrews 10:26-29 says, “For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?”

Taking Into Account the testimony of the work of God done in your life:

If you thought you committed this sin as an unbeliever. Do not worry. It’s not possible.
Only the true Spirit filled believer can commit this sin. Consider the good things God has done in your life.
A changed heart, new life, forgiveness, peace, love for God, and others you have shown. Please start or continue to make a journal (or record) of the good things God has done in your life. This would include your testimony of accepting Christ, answered prayers, understanding of Scripture, your desire to want to love God and others.​

Key Verses of This Study:

Matthew 12:32, Matthew 12:33, Mark 3:29, and Luke 12:8-12.​

Point #1. Matthew 12:32 - “Neither the world to come.”

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).

The word “whosoever” in Matthew 12:32 can be used for a specific people group like believers only and not just all people. We see a clear example of this in 1 John 3:15. For 1 John 3:15 says,

“Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15).

Can unbelievers hate their spiritual Christian brother? No. Only believers have spiritual brothers in Christ. Unbelievers are not partakers of the body of Christ (whereby they could have true spiritual Christian brothers); They are unbelievers outside the body.

In Matthew 12:32: The “whosoever” is in context to the believer who has tasted of God’s Spirit because it says that this sin can be committed in the “world to come.” The “world to come” is the Millennium or the 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ. Everyone will all start out be a Spirit filled believer because Christ will be living and reigning in this time period. So only the Spirit filled Christian who seeks to turn away from God and who speaks bad words against the Spirit will never be forgiven.​

Point #2. Matthew 12:33 - “Make the tree good, and his fruit good.”

Jesus says to the Pharisees:
““Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.”
(Matthew 12:33).

If these Pharisees were forever condemned by their committing the unforgivable sin here, then why is Jesus telling them to make the tree good and his fruit good? This means that there is still hope for these Pharisees because they said what they did in ignorance like Paul’s actions were done in ignorance before encountering Jesus and His grace.​

Point #3. Mark 3:29 - “In Danger of Eternal Damnation.”

Jesus says,
““But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:” (Mark 3:29).

“Danger” is the keyword here to focus on here. If you are in danger, you have a chance to change your course, and be safe and out of danger. If you get a warning of danger by seeing a shark fin in the water, you would swim as fast as you can to safety. If you were in a burning building, you would be in danger of being burned up, unless you got out and or you called the fire department to rescue you. Danger means you are seriously close to a bad thing happening but it does not mean that bad has already happened to you. When we experience “danger” we are receiving a warning or sign that we are very close to disaster, harm, or destruction.​

Point #4. Luke 12:8-12 are words spoken to the believer.

“Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.”
(Luke 12:8-12).

In Luke 12:8-12: It starts out talking to the believer and it ends with talking to the Spirit filled believer (for the passage ends saying that the Holy Ghost shall teach you what you ought to say); Yet, in the middle of this conversation, it refers to how blasphemy against the Spirit can never be forgiven. This implies that only the Christian who tasted of the Spirit can only speak bad words towards the Spirit and it is not referring to the unbeliever here. For obviously if we denied God as an atheist before coming to the faith, that does not mean we cannot accept Jesus later on, and be forgiven. So the blasphemy of the Spirit is only possible for a Christian who had tasted of the Spirit (Especiallly when we look at the whole counsel of God’s Word).​

I hope this helps somebody today, and may the Lord Jesus Christ bless you all richly.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its main point is that it is impossible for a normal Christian to commit the unforgivable sin based upon scripture in the original greek.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

grumix8

Jul 23, 2020
d.f.
Faith
Christian
Country
Mexico
Here about the unforgiven sin the only sin he does not forgive is for someone to call himself the " I am " that is the unforgiveable sin and he forgives all he is really so good we do not deserve it.

Yes write but if you say your are G-d and take his name and say your god in that manner it was talking the Hebrew people say it. Say your G-d and you are the " I am " is what the lord syas is the sin that cannot be forgiving. He forgives us of our nature but by law. G-d loves all of us being A consuming fire or coming inside A man like jesus and been amongst us and writting in the bible that he wil protect Israel as A mother bear or mother eagle or A mother for her children he is G-d and beyond us. ;D

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hey yall,

I found an article that talks about the Christian philosophies and interpretations around the unforgivable sin and other scriptures of doom. I hope it will be a great resource for people fearing displeasing God and who are haunted by scary bible verses like "falling away", and "willfully sinning."

Here is the link: CLICK >>> "What is the Unforgivable Sin? - UnforgivableSin.org"

The "unforgivable sin" is the "unpardonable sin".
Its the same.
What is it?

Its to reject Christ all your life, and die, never having been born again.
You have committed it.

Why is it "unforgivable" and "unpardonable"..

Its because Christ is your forgiveness and your pardon, and if you reject Him, there is nothing else to forgive you, as you have rejected the only forgiveness and pardon that God offers.

This is Hebrews 10:26, and Acts 28. (last 9 verses)
You will find HEBREWS WHO ARE committing this sin and they are being told by Paul....>"you are doing it willfully", you are "trodding underfoot the blood of Christ", "you are doing despite to the spirit of Grace". = "there remains no more sacrifice for your sin".....BECAUSE you are rejecting the ONLY ONE AVAILABLE.... just as your Father's did...!!

= This is CHRIST rejection, and its unpardonable, as you are rejecting the ONE who is God's pardon., if you die, never being born again.

This is the ONE sin that sends you to hell. = Christ rejection = Never Born Again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So the unforgivable sin is no longer a single action, but a continuous action and mindset. You have to continually blaspheme in order for it to be unforgivable. And that is why Jesus said it is unforgivable in the first place–because of the continual action.
A Born Again Christian would never do such a thing.
Anyone doing such a thing is not a Christian, plain and simple.

Reactions: grumix8 and marks

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was simply making the point that the Holy Spirit is coming and when He does, rejecting Him (as many do Jesus) will result in God rejecting you as you have rejected Him for the last time. It was a final warning.