Antinomianism (faith without works): Where Cognitive Dissonance Lives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He said "commandments" which is plural. Even if you say, "He means the Two Great Commandments", I ask you can you love God while disregarding any of the first Four of the Ten Commandments?
Well since God gave them to Moses to give to the Hebrews, not us, as Christ put it,

Luk_16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Joh_7:19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?

who did the law come by, wasnt Jesus,

but if you insist on it

Gal_3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

and again

Rom_4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

and again

Eph_2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

again

Gal_5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

again

Gal_5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

you have some good things to say, but the law is your stumbling block you keep tripping over it. The law is works it is not by faith, and you want to condemn the whole world with you by it.

Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

that is what the law does, it is the only thing it can do, and Christ isnt going to get back up on that cross for you every time you break it, which you will do daily, and so you are mocking Him,

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He said "commandments" which is plural. Even if you say, "He means the Two Great Commandments", I ask you can you love God while disregarding any of the first Four of the Ten Commandments?

( I am stalking you!! lol )

Are you too young to remember the 60's ?
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"

We can get a revelation of the commandments which 'takes the weight' out of them. In God's Spirit all the "Thous shalt not's.." change from commands to promises. Thou shalt not..
The two Great Commandments you mention are the 'how' of the Ten.
Love changes the Ten into promises.
Love is the effortless restraint on our hearts.

Then we no longer "have to" keep them, we cannot help ourselves, it has become our nature in Christ.

Consciousness of His Presence moment by moment is the love for Him which keeps us in freedom from sin.

Maybe that sounds like a load of garbled rubbish...but that is how I have found it.
The Ten Commandments are not 'for' us, they are for the lawless.
The countries who have "thrown them out" as guide lines, and thrown out God, have clearly lost their way...and now the world is a big mess because of it.

But, I believe in God's "Times and seasons"...and I see it all as part of "God's time" ..and , their cup is almost full.

Just my burble....

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
( I am stalking you!! lol )

Are you too young to remember the 60's ?
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"

We can get a revelation of the commandments which 'takes the weight' out of them. In God's Spirit all the "Thous shalt not's.." change from commands to promises. Thou shalt not..
The two Great Commandments you mention are the 'how' of the Ten.
Love changes the Ten into promises.
Love is the effortless restraint on our hearts.

Then we no longer "have to" keep them, we cannot help ourselves, it has become our nature in Christ.

Consciousness of His Presence moment by moment is the love for Him which keeps us in freedom from sin.

Maybe that sounds like a load of garbled rubbish...but that is how I have found it.
The Ten Commandments are not 'for' us, they are for the lawless.
The countries who have "thrown them out" as guide lines, and thrown out God, have clearly lost their way...and now the world is a big mess because of it.

But, I believe in God's "Times and seasons"...and I see it all as part of "God's time" ..and , their cup is almost full.

Just my burble....
What's that mean? Carrying a brother isn't burdernsome?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What's that mean? Carrying a brother isn't burdernsome?

Oh no worries, you are too young...it was a song in the sixties.

In 1884, James Wells, Moderator of the united free church of Scotland in his book The Parables of Jesus tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy.
Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn't tired. With surprise she replied: "No, he's not heavy; he's my brother."

This was also picked up about those in Vietnam who carried wounded (sometimes dead) soldiers out, on their backs.

It just came to me about the attitude some have toward the commandments. If they are soaked with love, they are not 'heavy.'

Reactions: Phoneman777

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no worries, you are too young...it was a song in the sixties.

In 1884, James Wells, Moderator of the united free church of Scotland in his book The Parables of Jesus tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy.
Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn't tired. With surprise she replied: "No, he's not heavy; he's my brother."

This was also picked up about those in Vietnam who carried wounded (sometimes dead) soldiers out, on their backs.

It just came to me about the attitude some have toward the commandments. If they are soaked with love, they are not 'heavy.'
Great story

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith without Works...

Salvation Without Rewards...