Aorist subjunctive

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PaNo

May 7, 2023
Bonn
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Could you tell me if this is correct?

Aorist subjunctive
Verses Romans 6:4,6 in particular are to be examined.
The subordinate clause with the verb περιπατήσωμεν and the word "so that" (ἵνα) indicates that this is a purpose/intention case of the aorist subjunctive. This construction indicates the intent of the main clause. The issue here is not whether the action happens or not, whether it can or could happen, but the reason and purpose of the action.
This means that we are to expect to walk in the newness of life even now because Jesus Christ was raised from the dead. (Romans 6:4)
And that it is to be reckoned with that the body has now already been put out of action, because the old man has been crucified. (Romans 6:6)

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aorist subjunctive
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Sorry, I cannot help with the 'higher' level of grammar study.
Maybe one better equipped than I will answer your question...

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In The
(Excellent Grammarian) LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth
, Rightly
Divided
! (+ I and II!)

Grace, Peace, And JOY!…

Reactions: PaNo

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your reasoning is broadly correct. However, in Romans 6:4 the main clause is about our baptism, not Jesus' resurrection. The purpose/intention of our baptism is that we should live a new kind of life from then on.
When we are baptised (Paul is assuming believer's baptism here), we identify with Christ in His death and resurrection. This is what the main clause in verse 6 is about. Baptism marks a clean break between our pre-Christian life and our Christian life. Or at least, it should!

Reactions: TonyChanYT and PaNo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aorist subjunctive
Verses Romans 6:4,6 in particular are to be examined.
The subordinate clause with the verb περιπατήσωμεν and the word "so that" (ἵνα) indicates that this is a purpose/intention case of the aorist subjunctive. This construction indicates the intent of the main clause. The issue here is not whether the action happens or not, whether it can or could happen, but the reason and purpose of the action.
This means that we are to expect to walk in the newness of life even now because Jesus Christ was raised from the dead. (Romans 6:4)
And that it is to be reckoned with that the body has now already been put out of action, because the old man has been crucified. (Romans 6:6)
Sometimes it is easier to understand some passages if you take into account who they were said or written to. For instance the book of Romans was written to those called to be saints, particularly in Rome, but would apply to all Jesus' disciples who were called to that position Pano. These ones were spirit begotten Christians who still subject to sin, were extremely devoted to God and the chances of them sinning a serious sin would be quite low.

All Christians whether called to be saints or the other sheep are to live by God's standards, but there are passages to indicate that they are held to a higher account. One passage I can think of is Heb 6:4-6 that really shows the seriousness of their position. Many fall away from the faith, even God's pre-Christian people were in and out of serving Him faithfully, but if one of those spirit begotten Christians leave the faith, there is no redemption for them. While that may seem relatively minor to us, to God it is a very serious event. It is quite understandable however, as the saints have to be dependable given the assignment they have and will be given.