assert?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since assert means to declare confidently...there are too many times he said things with confident announcing of something...he proclaimed things at every turn....
Ask and you shall receive.
Say to this mountain..
Your servant is healed...
It was too constant to list...then, he demonstrated it over and over.
Are you looking for some specific thing?
He knew he had the authority from his Father as His representitive on earth..so just walking and talking he was asserting his authority to "be".

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Since assert means to declare confidently...there are too many times he said things with confident announcing of something...he proclaimed things at every turn....
Say to this mountain..
He knew he had the authority from his Father as His representitive on earth..so just walking and talking he was asserting his authority to "be".
Really are we allowed to say or do something confidently? Surely people will think you boastfull or full of slf or even pridefull. Surely not with confidence.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Say to this mountain..

well the OED says: (this is also reference to older English showing its uses)

I. To grant or ensure liberty, to protect.

†1. trans. To bring into freedom, set free. (Cf. L. asserere in libertatem.) Obs. rare.
1638 Chillingw. Relig. Prot. i. iv. §13. 196 He that could assert Christians to that liberty which Christ and his Apostles left them. 1699 Bp. Patrick Comm. Numb. xxiii. 22 (T.) The people of Israel+were asserted by God into a state of liberty.

†2. To maintain the cause of, take the part of; to champion, protect, defend. Obs. exc. with cause as object (where it passes into 5).
1652 W. Cartwright Offspr. Mercy 19 His [Christ's] father's foreknowledge+asserted his death from casualty. 1655 Fuller Ch. Hist. vi. §32 III. 283 Engaged to assert their good Patron+in his just vindication from this unjust aspersion. 1667 Milton P.L. i. 25 That+I may assert th' eternal Providence, And justifie the wayes of God to men. 1705 Stanhope Paraphr. III. 53 God+could not so receive and assert an Impostor. 1718 Pope Iliad ii. 339 Sedition silence, and assert the throne. 1814 Scott Wav. iv, The cause that I shall assert I shall dare support in every danger.

II. To lay claim to.

3. trans. To claim (something) as belonging to (oneself or another); to declare one's right to, or possession of. arch.
1652 Needham tr. Selden's Mare Cl. 210 Julius Cæsar did assert to himself a Dominion over British Isle and Sea. 1836–7 Sir W. Hamilton Metaph. xxxviii. (1870) II. 374 The few who assert to man a knowledge of the infinite.

†4. To lay claim to, claim. Obs.
1649 Milton Eikon. Wks. 1738 I. 393 Their Principles too much asserted Liberty. 1656 Bramhall Replic. vii. 292 Here is no power asserted, no punishment to be inflicted+but only politicall. 1714 Gay Trivia i. 4 When to assert the Wall, and when resign. 1791 Cowper Iliad xxiii. 764 The fourth awarded lot+Meriones asserted next, The golden talents.

5. To maintain practically, insist upon, or vindicate, a (disputed) claim to (anything).

anyway what you've posted is all well and good as far as what He said, but how did He assert His authority?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really are we allowed to say or do something confidently? Surely people will think you boastfull or full of self or even pridefull. Surely not with confidence.
Well, we are talking about Jesus...
You mustn't be bothered by others , ally ...if God has revealed something to you,
Speak it boldly.
People have distorted views of what humility and strength in clarity are.
Amazing things are not revealed to the weak or prideful...but the humble one that is receptive to His Love and Divine Insight, my friend.

Say it boldly, with reverence...and patience for those that do not know what you are speaking of just yet....you are on a ladder helping your brothers up...even the ones that
snap, "I dont want your help and who do you think you are? !!"

You must learn presentation is all...we do not win hearts with ice and picks...but by melting them with kindness and gentle example.*

*I just made that up...that's kinda cool! Lol...:D hahaha

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
anyway what you've posted is all well and good as far as what He said, but how did He assert His authority?
I'm so sorry I'm too old to play games...I asked you if u were looking for something in particular...it appears to be a mind game you want to keep secret....for someone to guess....if I was paying tuition I would tolerate this style from the professor...not here.
He declared his authority many times but that wasn't ur ques.
Now I'll move on from here. Good luck with this,

Reactions: Ally.s.j

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so sorry I'm too old to play games...I asked you if u were looking for something in particular...it appears to be a mind game you want to keep secret....for someone to guess....if I was paying tuition I would tolerate this style from the professor...not here.
He declared his authority many times but that wasn't ur ques.
Now I'll move on from here. Good luck with this,
good

oh yea you are aware this is the debate section, correct?

Reactions: Armadillo

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how did Jesus assert His authority?

By quoting Old Testament scriptures and changing the words is one of the ways He asserted His authority. Jesus is the author after all and He revised the wording of the scriptures when necessary. For instance, when Satan showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and offered Him the authority of the world, Jesus told him “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’, Luke 4:8. Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 10:20, Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.

The word fear was changed to worship. Can all in the New Covenant change the word fear to worship? Yes, Jesus did, so can we. If MH is reading this I will change my wording for her to "Yes, Jesus did, so can I." No need to police me now Miss Hepburn, catch me another time.

There was an unholy fear when under Law, Hebrews 12:21, The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, “I am trembling with fear.”

Under Grace, there is a godly fear, Hebrews 12:28, Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,

Under Grace, there is a holy fear and it is worship and Jesus introduced the way to not be afraid of God and to worship in the Spirit and in truth. Jesus is Truth, John 14:6, Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 4:23,24, Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is Spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

2 Timothy 1:7, For God hath not given us the Spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Reactions: Ally.s.j and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By quoting Old Testament scriptures and changing the words is one of the ways He asserted His authority. Jesus is the author after all and He revised the wording of the scriptures when necessary. For instance, when Satan showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and offered Him the authority of the world, Jesus told him “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’, Luke 4:8. Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 10:20, Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.

The word fear was changed to worship. Can all in the New Covenant change the word fear to worship? Yes, Jesus did, so can we. If MH is reading this I will change my wording for her to "Yes, Jesus did, so can I." No need to police me now Miss Hepburn, catch me another time.

There was an unholy fear when under Law, Hebrews 12:21, The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, “I am trembling with fear.”

Under Grace, there is a godly fear, Hebrews 12:28, Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,

Under Grace, there is a holy fear and it is worship and Jesus introduced the way to not be afraid of God and to worship in the Spirit and in truth. Jesus is Truth, John 14:6, Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 4:23,24, Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is Spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

2 Timothy 1:7, For God hath not given us the Spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

As I was thinking about your post I thought to myself. 'Now, did He in fact change the wording as we know it to be changed...or did He "correct" the wording into what it should have been in the first place?

Reactions: Ally.s.j

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

it seems you're close here, probably on the mark. if I might add, back in the day with Moses most knew not God in spirit. if you remember there were people running through the camp in the desert prophesying in spirit which was unusual that Joshua was reporting to Moses.

flesh can fear and respect, especially power recognized or when power is revealed in the physical sense. but in spirit Jesus shows us power in Spirit.

assertion of authority in this case is the same as any. revelation of power in what ever or where what ever that power maybe, in our case power in Spirit.

Paul mentions power over 60 times and here is the statement that sums up how authority in the Kingdom of God is asserted:

1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

its the power in Spirit or of Spirit, Spirit of God that asserts authority therein. consider, Jesus said this that and the other, but without the resurrection by the Power of God demonstrated to the Apostles, it would be pretty tough to believe He was going to do the same for you unless He demonstrates that He has the Power.

by the way, excellent posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armadillo

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus asserted His authority by claiming He was God. He showed His authority in many was Healing, controlling the weather, rasing the dead. Controling animals like the fish in the nets the fish with the coin, trusting in God for His life to be raised. etc etc etc.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how did Jesus assert His authority?

Satan knows the word.
The Pharisee's knew the word.
I would say Jesus Christ asserted authority by not only knowing the word, but by doing it.

Matthew 23:3 "All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not."

Tempted of Satan in the wilderness; our King could have asserted authority to claim and seize all that was His, but He didn't for another's sake. Instead, Jesus showed another path contrary to Satan and what the Pharisees demonstrated by their authority: not "serve me", but rather "I serve you". John 13:4-5 "He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." Which demonstrated the power of God and the ultimate assertion of authority.

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan knows the word.
The Pharisee's knew the word.
I would say Jesus Christ asserted authority by not only knowing the word, but by doing it.

Matthew 23:3 "All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not."

Tempted of Satan in the wilderness; our King could have asserted authority to claim and seize all that was His, but He didn't for another's sake. Instead, Jesus showed another path contrary to Satan and what the Pharisees demonstrated by their authority: not "serve me", but rather "I serve you". John 13:4-5 "He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

well doers as Christians like to speak of today may please the Lord or each other, but power in and of the Spirit is the verification. Jesus said believe the works but those works He spoke of are a result of authority in power in Spirit demonstrated.

consider today in how many different interpretations there are, wouldn't it be easier if some one would demonstrate authority in Power of the Spirit and therefore one could be confident therein.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
consider today in how many different interpretations there are, wouldn't it be easier if some one would demonstrate authority in Power of the Spirit and therefore one could be confident therein.

Yes.

We can demonstrate authority in the Power of the Spirit.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well doers as Christians like to speak of today may please the Lord or each other, but power in and of the Spirit is the verification. Jesus said believe the works but those works He spoke of are a result of authority in power in Spirit demonstrated.

I am not sure what you are searching for then. There is power of the Spirit for breaking the works of darkness. He is called truth and He sets the captives free. I don't know of any greater demonstration of power or authority on earth, than to spoil enemy territory by converting an enemy into a brother.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

And thats what we do when we lay hands on the sick or cast out demons of give them a word. all of which are available to anyone.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn