• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
“he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him

Finally, consider Paul. He was on his way to Damascus with letters to arrest the Christians there (Acts 9:1-2). Believers were terrified of him. He later called himself the worst of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Why did God call him and not someone else?

First, we understand that God knowing everything, is not the same as God causing everything.

For example, God currently knows how much Uranium Iran has, but He is not causing them to use it for Nukes.

God is currently aware of how many people are on this Forum, but He didn't cause them to come here.
He didn't cause them to read my post., but He knew they would before they were born.

This is God "foreknowledge.

John Calvin, could not comprehend that "knowing"....... is not the same as "causing", so, he twisted the NT into this "pre-destined" chaos that is "Calvinism"..

Ive never met a Calvinist, who can understand that "knowing" is not the same as causing.
That God's Foreknowledge, which is to KNOW everything before it happens, is not the same as causing it all to happen.

So, in your verse, the context is....""IN Him".....
WE, The born again are chosen.........how?

"In Him".

Who is "him"?

Its Christ., and you can't be IN Him, until you are BORN AGAIN.

So, once again, this is God knowing who will be born again, "in Him", that is the choosing, but this is not God causing anyone to be born again.
As we decided to believe, and then God puts us "in Him".

And, Paul ...why was he chosen?
Its because he is unique for the Job.
See, the verse says...."to whom much is given, much is required"....and that applies to few.
Paul was one of the few who was given incredible revelation, and was able to carry it, faithfully.
God knew this about Him, before He called Him to be the main Apostle.

God is able to look inside us, and He knows what is available in there, from person to person.
The verse says...>"many are called, but few are chosen".
= This means that the entire world ... John 3:16, is called to Christ to believe, but of all of those, God chooses only some to be "chosen" to be in a specific ministry, as all the born again are called to minister.

Paul was unique, as He said he was "blameless in the Law".

Philippians 3:6

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The verse says...>"many are called, but few are chosen".
= This means that the entire world ... John 3:16, is called to Christ to believe, but of all of those, God chooses only some to be "chosen" to be in a specific ministry, as all the born again are called to minister.
Now-here, I would concur-can you supply scripture references in the distinction you are making in -"many are called, few chosen" with "specific ministry and ministry?"

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Now-here, I would concur-can you supply scripture references in the distinction you are making in -"many are called, few chosen" with "specific ministry and ministry?"

Paul, before he was called to be a "Chosen Vessel" was Saul the son of the devil, advanced Pharisee, ... Christian murderer.

Saul was this before he became a believer........called by Christ on the road to Damascus .... Acts 9

""""""as to my zeal [for Jewish tradition], a persecutor of the church; and as to righteousness [supposed right living] which [my fellow Jews believe] is in the Law, I proved myself blameless.""""""

Next...

Following this "conversion to Christ"........ = "Many are called"...

He was one of the : "few are chosen"..

Jesus said....

""""Jesus said to him, Go, for this man is a CHOSEN instrument of Mine to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the descendants of Israel; For I will make clear to him how much he will be afflicted and must endure and suffer for My name's sake."""

Johann,

and there is the "specific ministry" that Paul had, also...

He said of it...

"""" Now I rejoice in my sufferings on your behalf. And with my own body I supplement whatever is lacking [on our part] of Christ’s afflictions, on behalf of His body, which is the church.""""

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Why did God choose Paul?

Paul explains this to us.

He said..

'""Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost [of sinners], Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example or pattern for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.:::;

"""""But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life."""

See what God is showing us all?

He is showing us that Christ's Cross, God's Mercy, can take the worst human, a monster, and turn them into God's Holy Vessel, His "trophy of Grace".

Reactions: marks and Johann

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you tell me

1 Timothy 2:4-6​

King James Version​

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

2 peter 3:9 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. if a person does not get saved then that is there own fault.. dont blame God
I am sorry but I don't see how those passages apply sir. What has salvation to do with born again Ezra? You and I both recognize that there are born again Christians, so there must be a reason why God anointed them sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God "chooses" all who will believe.

So, its "by faith in Christ", that God takes you as His own.

He does not force you to believe.
He does not choose you to believe.

He only "accepts your faith" once you believe, as "faith is counted as righteousness".

Jesus said, "all that believe in me, i give unto them eternal life"

A Heretic, a CULT will change this verse into John Calvinism, as "All that i forced to believe, i give unto them eternal life"

Calvin is a devil.
His doctrine is a mind trap, its a Hebrews 13:9
God "chooses" all who will believe.
What do you mean by that Be? That looks like you are saying we cannot choose, is that correct? Did you mean to say that He accepts all those who choose to believe?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What do you mean by that Be? That looks like you are saying we cannot choose, is that correct? Did you mean to say that He accepts all those who choose to believe?

Thank you for the question.

There is this heretic.

John Calvin.

He was unable to understand the NT, or Salvation.....as the WAY that God provided it as a FREE GifT. to "all who will believe".

So, Calvin rewrote some of Paul's verses, into "CALVINISM" and its worst offense, is to redefine the Cross of Christ as "only given to some".

That is a HELLISH Doctrine, and its the heart of Calvinism.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry but I don't see how those passages apply sir. What has salvation to do with born again Ezra? You and I both recognize that there are born again Christians, so there must be a reason why God anointed them sir.
read john 3:3 YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN TO GO TO HEAVEN=SALVATION IS BORN AGAIN sorry is correct you dont understand

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for clarifying that sir. That would mean that all Christians are born again. We have a bit of a different viewpoint. Our understanding of it is they were anointed by holy spirit. They were selected from among Christians to be kings and priests under the King Jesus in the coming Kingdom. They are called many things; saints, holy ones, born again, bride of christ, etc, and are 144,000 in number redeemed from the earth to reside in heaven. Rev 14:1-3 God selects them and baptizes them with holy spirit. I am not one of them sir. I am not of that fold, but do claim to be one of his other sheep Jn 10:16

Lol. I have forgotten what we were discussing. If its the 144 thousand. They are the jewish witnesses during tribulation.
Sorry if on wrong page.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is this heretic.

John Calvin.

He was unable to understand the NT, or Salvation.....as the WAY that God provided it as a FREE GifT. to "all who will believe".

So, Calvin rewrote some of Paul's verses, into "CALVINISM" and its worst offense, is to redefine the Cross of Christ as "only given to some".

Jesus' ransom was provided for all Be, but you have to choose to take advantage of it, you used the term believe. I would imagine that you are using that term literally, that all who believe will be saved, but Jesus' words at Mat 7:21-23 shows dedicated strong believers who are rejected and the reason why. Jesus also stated that most would be on the road to destruction just before that in verse 13, so the key in understanding salvation is understanding what the Biblical definition of believe is sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
read john 3:3 YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN TO GO TO HEAVEN=SALVATION IS BORN AGAIN sorry is correct you dont understand
Yes you have to be born again to go to heaven Ezra, I fully agree, but how many leave this earth to reside there according to the Bible sir? Do you know why they are chosen, that could help as well.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know why they are chosen, that could help as well.
are you a Calvinist i cant speak for they them but were chosen to bear fruit John 15:16/ your going to have to be more specific

when we believe it has to come from the heart romans 10:9-10

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are you a Calvinist i cant speak for they them but were chosen to bear fruit John 15:16/ your going to have to be more specific

when we believe it has to come from the heart romans 10:9-10
The Bible teaches there are a number of people selected who are redeemed from the earth Ezra. I asked how many that was, and asked why they were chosen as well. I would be more than happy to help you find the answer, but it it only they that are born again for a particular purpose. They are the ones the new covenant has been made with.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

There is this heretic.

John Calvin.

. NT (from Ephesians 1)

A. Eph. 1:3 – "He chose us" is an aorist middle indicative which emphasized the subject's decisive choice.

Even as he chose us in him (kathōs exelexato hēmās en autōi). First aorist middle indicative of eklegō, to pick out, to choose. Definitive statement of God’s elective grace concerning believers in Christ.

Chose (ἐξελέξατο)

Middle voice, for himself.
In Him
As the head and representative of our spiritual humanity. Compare 1Co_15:22. Divine election is in Christ the Redeemer. The crown of divine sovereignty is redemption. God rules the world to save it.

This focused on the Father's choice before time. God's choice must not be understood in the Islamic sense of determinism nor in the ultra Calvinistic sense of "God chooses some versus God did not choose others," but in a covenantal sense.

God promised to redeem fallen mankind (cf. Gen. 3:15). God called and chose Abraham to choose all humans -- God Himself elected all persons who would exercise faith in Christ (cf. John 1:12; 3:16; 1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9; 1 John 2:2; 4:14).

God always takes the initiative in salvation (cf. John 6:44, 65), but humans must respond in repentance, faith, obedience, and perseverance. This text (Eph. 1:4) and Rom. 8:28-30; 9:1-33 are the main NT texts for the doctrine of predestination emphasized by Augustine and Calvin

God chose believers not only to salvation (justification) but also to sanctification (cf. Eph. 1:4; 2:8-10; Col. 1:12)! This could relate to

1. our position in Christ (cf. 2 Cor. 5:21)

2. God's desire to reproduce His character in His children (cf. Eph. 2:10; Rom. 8:28-29; Gal. 4:19; 1 Thess. 4:3)

God's will for His children is both heaven one day and Christlikeness now!

B. Eph. 1:4 – "that we should be holy and blameless before Him"

The goal of predestination is holiness, not privilege. God's call is not to a selected few of Adam's children, but to all! It is a call to be what God intended mankind to be, like Himself (cf. Rom. 8:28-30; 2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19; Eph. 4:13; 1 Thess. 4:7; 5:23; 2 Thess. 2:13; Titus 2:14; 1 Pet. 1:15); in His image (cf. Gen. 1:26-27). To turn predestination into a theological tenet instead of a holy life is a tragedy. Often our a priori systematic theologies speak louder than biblical texts! The term "blameless" (amōmos) or "free from blemish" is used of

1. Jesus, (cf. Heb. 9:14; 1 Pet. 1:19)

2. Zacharias and Elizabeth, (cf. Luke 1:6)

3. Paul (cf. Phil 3:6)

4. all true Christians (cf. Phil. 2:15; 1 Thess. 3:13; 5:23)

God's unalterable will for every believer is not only heaven later, but Christlikeness now (cf. Rom. 8:29-30; 2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 4:19; 1 Thess. 3:13; 4:3; 1 Pet. 1:15). Believers are to reflect God's characteristics to a lost world for the purpose of evangelism.

The NT clearly reinforces the universal redemptive plan in several ways.

1. The Great Commission – Matt. 28:18-20; Luke 24:46-47; Acts 1:8

2. God's eternal plan (i.e., predestined) – Luke 22:22; Acts 2:23; 3:18; 4:28; 13:29

3. God wants all humans to be saved – John 3:16; 4:42; Acts 10:34-35; 1 Tim. 2:4-6; Titus 2:11; 2 Pet. 3:9; 1 John 2:2; 4:14

4. Christ unites the OT and NT – Gal. 3:28-29; Eph. 2:11-3:13; Col. 3:11. All human barriers and distinctions are removed in Christ. Jesus is the "mystery of God," hidden but now revealed (Eph. 2:11-3:13).

The NT focuses on Jesus, not Israel. The gospel, not a nationality or geographical region, is central. Israel was the first revelation but Jesus is the ultimate revelation (cf. Matt. 5:17-48).

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Bible teaches there are a number of people selected who are redeemed from the earth Ezra. I asked how many that was, and asked why they were chosen as well. I would be more than happy to help you find the answer, but it it only they that are born again for a particular purpose. They are the ones the new covenant has been made with.
Are you referring to the 144,000 as per Revelation.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
are you a Calvinist
To be frank-many are calling Luther and Calvin heretics, and I would disagree.
God is the Divine Initiator in a man/woman's being born from above, not man-so that we may not boast.

According as he hath chosen us. The foundation and first cause, both of our calling and of all the benefits which we receive from God, is here declared to be his eternal election. If the reason is asked, why God has called us to enjoy the gospel, why he daily bestows upon us so many blessings, why he opens to us the gate of heaven, — the answer will be constantly found in this principle, that he hath chosen us before the foundation of the world.

The very time when the election took place proves it to be free; for what could we have deserved, or what merit did we possess, before the world was made? How childish is the attempt to meet this argument by the following sophism! “We were chosen because we were worthy, and because God foresaw that we would be worthy.” We were all lost in Adam; and therefore, had not God, through his own election, rescued us from perishing, there was nothing to be foreseen. The same argument is used in the Epistle to the Romans, where, speaking of Jacob and Esau, he says,
“For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth.” (Rom_9:11.)

But though they had not yet acted, might a sophist of the Sorbonne reply, God foresaw that they would act. This objection has no force when applied to the depraved natures of men, in whom nothing can be seen but materials for destruction.

In Christ. This is the second proof that the election is free; for if we are chosen in Christ, it is not of ourselves. It is not from a perception of anything that we deserve, but because our heavenly Father has introduced us, through the privilege of adoption, into the body of Christ. In short, the name of Christ excludes all merit, and everything which men have of their own; for when he says that we arechosen in Christ, it follows that in ourselves we are unworthy.

Makes absolute sense.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus' ransom was provided for all Be, but you have to choose to take advantage of it, you used the term believe. I would imagine that you are using that term literally, that all who believe will be saved, but Jesus' words at Mat 7:21-23 shows dedicated strong believers who are rejected and the reason why. Jesus also stated that most would be on the road to destruction just before that in verse 13, so the key in understanding salvation is understanding what the Biblical definition of believe is sir.
Give me your biblical definition of salvation @Robert Gwin

Status
Not open for further replies.