Calvary Denied It Entrance Into The New Covenant (so how did it get past the door?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years. I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing. Dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to live as I do in freedom from these things, for I have become like you Gentiles—free from those laws." Galatians 4:10-12
I don't mind when people judge my actions for that is not what "judge not, lest ye be judged" is talking about - what I do mind is when people judge motives, which is exactly what "judge not, lest ye be judged" is talking about. Please leave the judging of motives to God, for He alone can see into the heart.

Jesus FULFILLED the law because man cannot.
In our own strength, we can't, but "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me" - "all things" which includes keeping the Ten Commandments. Philippians 4:13 KJV

We Christians must understand that WE are under Grace now= freedom from the law (which we were never invited to in the 1st place)
God's grace is no more a license to break the Ten Commandments than is the grace of a traffic cop, after letting you off with a warning to slow down, to henceforth tear down the road as fast as you want, whenever you want.

If man was able to keep the law, Jesus would not had have to die.
Jesus had to die to save us from sin, not in sin, for the wages of sin is death. Having accepted His salvation, don't focus on how weak you and I are - instead focus on the might and strength of our Savior who "is able to succor them that are tempted."

The old testament sacrificing of bulls and goats did not TAKE away their sin, only COVERED their sin, and the animal sacrifices had to be done over and over again.

Shed animal blood covered nothing. The shed blood of the Messiah to come, in which was their faith, covered their sins, which the shed animal blood merely evidenced. Why can't you antinomianists understand that?

Jesus...has ushered in Grace and freedom from the Law.
Freedom from what law? The Moral Law of Ten Commandments or the Mosaic Law of ceremonies and sacrifices? Disregard of the Mosaic Law has no consequence but disregard of the Ten Commandments will "crucify the
Son of God afresh and put Him to an open shame." Is that how we treat the ones we say we love?

Love God, Love neighbor...these ARE His N.T. Laws...the rest of the Mosaic law hangs on these 2 commandments.
"Thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5
"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Leviticus 19:18 KJV
Are you sure about them being only N.T.? The fact is if a Christian loves God, he'll keep the first four including the co, and if he loves his neighbor, the last six, because the Ten Commandments hang on the Two Great Commandments - the Two do not replace the Ten as you and other antinomianists suggest.

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 14:4-13
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written: "As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God."
12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.
NKJV

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that explains why you read the KJV in that way and it was by that errant version. Matthew 12:1-7 reproves that version as being in error.
Why condemn Hebrews 4:9 Peshitta Syriac Version based on nothing but your incorrect interpretation of Matthew 12:1-7? If you refuse to believe the Peshitta, then believe the KJV. The word "rest" found in the verse is not "kataposis" which found throughout the preceding verses, it is "sabbatismos", which means "keeping Sabbath". The Peshitta correctly translates the verse.

Has nothing to do with salvation. It is just an ordinance for new believers to follow.
You argued that "literal rest" of Sabbath keeping is an inadequate symbol of the "spiritual rest" in Jesus because the one is periodic while the other is continual, so I exposed this ridiculously flawed logic by showing you that baptism is a one-time representation of something continual and communion is a periodic representation of something continual, and if the non-continuous nature of the one is still a Biblically acceptable symbol for the continuous nature of the other, then the periodic "literal rest" of the weekly Sabbath is just as an acceptable symbol of the "spiritual rest" we have in Jesus, which is exactly what Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV (and Peshitta Syriac Version) teaches.

Because some believers may forget what He has done as if it was not good enough to have saved them that they need to keep the law too in order to obtain salvation.
A cacaphonous judgement of other's motives for obeying God's law is not a valid defense for having been shown how baseless is your claim that "literal weekly rest" on Sabbath cannot be an adequate representation of the "continual spiritual rest in Jesus".

Not saying that when received by the Bridegroom, they will be practicing breaking any of His commandments still in His kingdom of Heaven, but they will be considered the least.
No need to clarify this, because even antinomianists agree that law breaking won't be in heaven, but you're still wrong about lawbreaking teachers of lawlessness making it to heaven based on your erroneous idea that "called least in the kingdom of heaven" means they'll be up there in a Celestial Caste Society - they will not. They are referred to while down here as "least" by those "in the kingdom of heaven" up there.

Do explain 2 Timothy 2:18-21
Certainly - this passage describes the state of affairs within the church here and now. Got nothing to do with there'll be the "honorable great" and the "dishonorable least" in heaven. The only comparatively "great" and "least" things in heaven will be the rewards of the redeemed, not the redeemed themselves.

Did not Jesus acknowledge that the O.T. saints were profaning the sabbath in Matthew 12:1-7?
No, He acknowledge priestly duties were an exception, because if allowed to be interrupted every Sabbath, the O.T. ministry of intercession could not be an accurate symbol of the continuous, uninterrupted, High Priestly ministry of intercession of Jesus in the Heavenly Sanctuary. Again, Jesus brought up the priests and David to expose the hypocrisy of the Pharisees who had no problem with anyone else breaking God's Sabbath but were ready to kill Him for breaking their made up "Sabbath" - not to introduce "guilt-free Sabbath breaking" as you keep insisting.

Besides, if you're going to argue that Jesus used the actions of the priests and David to establish "guilt free Sabbath-breaking", why did Jesus Himself continue to keep it? Or His disciples after His death? Or the women who prepared spices "and rested on the Sabbath day according to the commandment" which is totally inexplicable when they'd have been "guiltless" if they'd gone ahead and began preparing His body? Or the rest of the Jews of His day? Or, according to 5th century church historian Socrates Scholasticus, the entire Christian church which kept the 7th day Sabbath in every place Christianity was practiced "except at the churches of Alexandria (the all-time supersonic capital of Satanic occultism) and at Rome (headquarters of the Beast, Antichrist, Whore of Revelation, Little Horn of Daniel 7 and 8, etc.) on account of some ancient tradition (sun worship)"?

Until you recognize why He is Lord of the sabbath for why you are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day, you best be praying till you do.
Until you recognize that Jesus is not only our Savior Who saves us from sin, but He is also our Lord to be obeyed, you will be found to be breaking what you seem to believe is the "least commandment" and teaching others to do the same, which Jesus says makes us the "least" in the sight of those in heaven.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 14:4-13
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written: "As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God."
12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.
NKJV
Great passage in which Paul defends Christianity against those who wanted to impose the Mosaic Law of ceremonies, sacrifices, rituals, etc., on us. Nothing to do with the Ten Commandments, which Paul, Jesus, James, Peter, and others reaffirm as our Christian duty.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why condemn Hebrews 4:9 Peshitta Syriac Version based on nothing but your incorrect interpretation of Matthew 12:1-7? If you refuse to believe the Peshitta, then believe the KJV. The word "rest" found in the verse is not "kataposis" which found throughout the preceding verses, it is "sabbatismos", which means "keeping Sabbath". The Peshitta correctly translates the verse.

Because when Jesus said "It is finished", He was referring to His work in paying the ransom for our sins on the cross. It is that work God has ceased from and He is not in the process of saving us still as if by the deeds of the law, otherwise, we have not entered into that rest but still working towards our salvation, and thus in vain law keepers do worship Him teaching the commandments of men to obtain salvation by.

For us to cease from our works as God did from His.... it cannot be referring to the sabbath day, otherwise we be resting every day as the sabbath.

You have to ask yourself if you are saved by keeping the sabbath day. If you are, then that is considered working in keeping the sabbath day holy.

If not, maybe then the Lord will help you to see why He is Lord of the sabbath and not the sabbath lord over you for why you are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day because He is with you.

For all the iniquity mentioned in the 5 churches of the 7 in the Book of Revelation, breaking the sabbath day is not one of them.

Out of the 2 churches praised in the Book of Revelations, not one of them was for keeping the sabbath day holy.

So the witness of the sabbath day keepers is tainted because it is more about what they are doing rather than what Christ has done for all believers.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because when Jesus said "It is finished", He was referring to His work in paying the ransom for our sins on the cross.
True. But Christ was also proclaiming -- at the same time -- that the Old Covenant (including Sabbath-keeping) was finished.

And God the Father confirmed this with a supernatural confirmation: And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose...(Mt 27:51-52).

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You argued that "literal rest" of Sabbath keeping is an inadequate symbol of the "spiritual rest" in Jesus because the one is periodic while the other is continual, so I exposed this ridiculously flawed logic by showing you that baptism is a one-time representation of something continual and communion is a periodic representation of something continual, and if the non-continuous nature of the one is still a Biblically acceptable symbol for the continuous nature of the other, then the periodic "literal rest" of the weekly Sabbath is just as an acceptable symbol of the "spiritual rest" we have in Jesus, which is exactly what Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV (and Peshitta Syriac Version) teaches....
Just adding a thought, here is a study on Hebrews 4 in entire, with historic evidences given: https://www.christianforums.com/thr...hovah-my-rest-remaineth-to-my-people.8064956/

It stands irrefuted, of course.