Calvary Denied It Entrance Into The New Covenant (so how did it get past the door?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, a few things about Covenants:

I.
"Covenant" and "Testament" are interchangeable in Scripture. They mean simply "an agreement between two parties based on mutual promises".

II. According to Hebrews 9:16-17 KJV, no one can change another's Last Will and Testament once they're dead.

III. According to Galatians 3:15 KJV, if when even a covenant of a mere man is "confirmed" ("caused to take effect") it is prohibited from being changed, the same prohibition must apply to any confirmed covenant of God.

IV. According to Hebrews 9:15-18 KJV, the Old Covenant was confirmed with the blood of sacrificial animals by Moses and the New Covenant was dedicated (confirmed) by the blood of Jesus the moment He died on Calvary.

V. According to Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV and 2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJV, the "Ten Commandments" and "blessings of God" were "components" of the Old Covenant, to which each respective party mutually agreed to obligate themselves.

The Ten Commandments and the "Old Covenant" are not one in the same as popularly taught, and if you disagree, please substitute the words "Old Covenant" for the word "Law" in Romans 3:31 KJV and see how well that works. I
n the Old Covenant, the Law was written in stone, and in the New Covenant, the same is written by the Holy Spirit on the heart.​

Therefore, since in the New Covenant consists of the Ten Commandments written on the heart, and since the New Covenant was confirmed the moment Jesus died on the Cross, and since the different components of the New Covenant (like baptism, Communion, laity priesthood, etc.) had to have been "penciled in" before it was confirmed, after which nothing could be added......................

when did Sunday-keeping being? Even if it was Resurrection morning, it was 3 days too late. The Ten Commandments are clear as to which day is the Lord's day...the one the Creator set aside all the way back in Creation Week. And the Roman Catholic Church gets the credit or blame, depending on how you look at it, for letting Sunday slip past the door, but the Bible says, what "He shall shut...none shall open".

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I.
"Covenant" and "Testament" are interchangeable in Scripture. They mean simply "an agreement between two parties based on mutual promises".

II. According to Hebrews 9:16-17 KJV, no one can change another's Last Will and Testament once they're dead.

III. According to Galatians 3:15 KJV, if when even a covenant of a mere man is "confirmed" ("caused to take effect") it is prohibited from being changed, the same prohibition must apply to any confirmed covenant of God.
IV. According to Hebrews 9:15-18 KJV, the Old Covenant was confirmed with the blood of sacrificial animals by Moses and the New Covenant was dedicated (confirmed) by the blood of Jesus the moment died on Calvary.

V. According to Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV and 2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJV, the "Ten Commandments" and "blessings of God" were "components" of the Old Covenant, to which each respective party mutually agreed to obligate themselves.

The Ten Commandments and the "Old Covenant" are not one in the same as popularly taught, and if you disagree, please substitute the words "Old Covenant" for the word "Law" in Romans 3:31 KJV and see how well that works. I
n the Old Covenant, the Law was written in stone, and in the New Covenant, the same is written by the Holy Spirit on the heart.​

Therefore, since in the New Covenant consists of the Ten Commandments written on the heart, and since the New Covenant was confirmed the moment Jesus died on the Cross, and since the different components of the New Covenant (like baptism, Communion, laity priesthood, etc.) had to have been "penciled in" before it was confirmed, after which nothing could be added......................

when did Sunday-keeping being? Even if it was Resurrection morning, it was 3 days too late. The Ten Commandments are clear as to which day is the Lord's day...the one the Creator set aside all the way back in Creation Week. And the Roman Catholic Church gets the credit or blame, depending on how you look at it, for letting Sunday slip past the door, but the Bible says, what "He shall shut and none shall open".

True or false; part of the requirement for keeping the sabbath day under the Old Covenant requires Jews to stone to death or execute any Jew breaking the sabbath day commandment.

So is any sabbath day keeper really keeping the sabbath day commandment in regards to other christians profaning the sabbath day?

You would think that under the New Covenant, if Gentiles and Jews were to continue to keep the sabbath day commandment, they would make sure that the other requirement in keeping the sabbath day under the Old Covenant would be written down in scripture in the N.T. for why no christian is executing any christian for breaking the sabbath day.

I find your run around with the scripture as wanting in regards to this insistence that christians are to keep the sabbath day, because there is no careful instructions on how to keep the sabbath day holy under the New Covenant. The reason why there isn't, because of Matthew 12:1-7 for why believers are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day since Jesus Christ is with us as in us as He alone is able to make us stand. So believe in Him and repent from seeking justification by trying vainly in keeping the sabbath day when sabbath day keepers are not enforcing it to keep that day holy.

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
when did Sunday-keeping being? Even if it was Resurrection morning, it was 3 days too late. The Ten Commandments are clear as to which day is the Lord's day...the one the Creator set aside all the way back in Creation Week. And the Roman Catholic Church gets the credit or blame, depending on how you look at it, for letting Sunday slip past the door, but the Bible says, what "He shall shut and none shall open".
So this is another Sabbatarian thread.

The day Christ said that He is Lord of the Sabbath was the day that he proclaimed that as Lord of the Sabbath He has the divine right to make THE LORD'S DAY the Christian Sabbath. This is called "the first day of the week", which happens to be Sunday.

And since every day of the week has a connection to a pagan god or goddess, that is totally immaterial. Also this has nothing to do with the RCC or "the Mark of the Beast" or any nonsense.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True or false; part of the requirement for keeping the sabbath day under the Old Covenant requires Jews to stone to death or execute any Jew breaking the sabbath day commandment.
That was under the Theocracy, which the Jews were no longer under when they chose an earthly king instead of the KING OF KINGS.

So is any sabbath day keeper really keeping the sabbath day commandment in regards to other christians profaning the sabbath day?

Not sure what you mean by this, please clarify.

You would think that under the New Covenant, if Gentiles and Jews were to continue to keep the sabbath day commandment, they would make sure that the other requirement in keeping the sabbath day under the Old Covenant would be written down in scripture in the N.T. for why no christian is executing any christian for breaking the sabbath day.

All Ten Commandments are directly/indirectly repeated in the New Testament and never spoken of as abolished like was the Mosaic Law. Sabbath observance by Gentiles is repeatedly documented. Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV says "there remaineth a rest ("Sabbatismos" which means keeping Sabbath) to the people of God. For he (Christian) that hath entered into His rest, he hath ceased from is own works (not "works of sin" but literal toil and labor) as God did from His (on the seventh day of Creation Week). What we don't find is one single example of anyone keeping Sunday as the day of rest.

I find your run around with the scripture as wanting in regards to this insistence that christians are to keep the sabbath day, because there is no careful instructions on how to keep the sabbath day holy under the New Covenant. The reason why there isn't, because of Matthew 12:1-7 for why believers are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day since Jesus Christ is with us as in us as He alone is able to make us stand. So believe in Him and repent from seeking justification by trying vainly in keeping the sabbath day when sabbath day keepers are not enforcing it to keep that day holy.

The New Covenant is defined as God's Law - not Moses' law - written on our hearts. Jeremiah 31:31-33 KJV and Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV. We don't need any "careful instruction" written down anywhere bc the the Sabbath commandment is supposed to be written on the heart of every New Covenant Christian, is it not? And it's "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the Living God, not on tables of stone, but on the fleshly tables of the heart."

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

We must be careful in our consideration of the covenants that are applicable to us in Hebrews and the understanding of the GREEK WORDS.

What was the "first"/"original" covenant between God and man?

Has this covenant changed? Has the outcome of this covenant changed? Was there a requirement for a Sabbath Day of rest in the "first"/"original" covenant?

In Hebrews 9:15, the above questions are applicable since the OP has referenced this verse as their justification for what is to follow in this thread.

I would humbly suggest that their understanding is flawed and is based on a dominate misunderstanding of the Greek word καινῆς that it has the meaning of "new", that is "brand new" whereas, its meaning is more in keeping with the understanding of "refurbished" or "made like new again."

What is considered to be the "Old Covenant" and the "New Covenant" was introduced around 2,500 years later in the Biblical History, and that covenant is a limited covenant with a called people group/nation to be a Covenantal Kingdom of Priests, a Holy Nation and God's possession among the people. The Covenant that Paul is referring to in Hebrews 9:15 was referenced by Christ in Matthew 13:52 which we are told is a very old covenant dating back to the time shortly/immediately after the creation of Adam and Eve.

For this thread to work, the covenant in view for discussion must be defined and accepted as the only covenant that is being discussed, otherwise we will run down everybody's rabbit borrow and get lost in all of the unspoken twists and turns in the unseen borrow systems referenced by the respective posters.

Know what I mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I.

IV. According to Hebrews 9:15-18 KJV, the Old Covenant was confirmed with the blood of sacrificial animals by Moses and the New Covenant was dedicated (confirmed) by the blood of Jesus the moment died on Calvary.

when did Sunday-keeping being? Even if it was Resurrection morning, it was 3 days too late. The Ten Commandments are clear as to which day is the Lord's day...the one the Creator set aside all the way back in Creation Week. And the Roman Catholic Church gets the credit or blame, depending on how you look at it, for letting Sunday slip past the door, but the Bible says, what "He shall shut...none shall open".

All the 10 Commandments have been reduced to two, and the rest hang on them "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with allthy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40. So if you are thinking you MUST keep the 10 commandments then, you must keep them all as if you stumble in just one of these areas, you have broken them all. It is impossible to keep the 10 perfectly and, if ever you were angry with your brother...I'm sure you know the scriptures here. Just my 2 cents!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is another Sabbatarian thread.
Yes, a thread challenging the popular but erroneous notion that Sunday keeping is part of the New Covenant when I've shown by comparing Scripture with Scripture that this is simply not the case.

The day Christ said that He is Lord of the Sabbath was the day that he proclaimed that as Lord of the Sabbath He has the divine right to make THE LORD'S DAY the Christian Sabbath. This is called "the first day of the week", which happens to be Sunday.
This is first rate creative theology at its best. How in the world did you arrive at this conclusion?

And since every day of the week has a connection to a pagan god or goddess, that is totally immaterial.
Pagans also sacrificed animals to their gods, so does that mean the Israelites could have swept their sacrificial system aside too? What pagans do is inconsequential to what God requires of His people.

Also this has nothing to do with the RCC or "the Mark of the Beast" or any nonsense.
I appreciate your thoughts and I look forward to any further posts that may include some actual Biblical evidence for your positions. Jesus said, "Not one jot or tittle will pass from the law", yet you seem to believe that He crossed out an entire commandment and replaced it with a pagan festival.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the 10 Commandments have been reduced to two, and the rest hang on them "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with allthy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40. So if you are thinking you MUST keep the 10 commandments then, you must keep them all as if you stumble in just one of these areas, you have broken them all. It is impossible to keep the 10 perfectly and, if ever you were angry with your brother...I'm sure you know the scriptures here. Just my 2 cents!
Yes, Nancy I agree 100% that God summed up all the Ten Commandments into two - love for God and our neighbors.

Does that mean I can break the first commandment and become a Satan worshiper, and still call myself a Christian?
Or bow down to idols?
Or blaspheme God's name?
Or kill, lie to, or steal from my neighbor?

I can go all the way down the list and you'll say if I love God and my neighbor, I won't break them...so why tell my I'm at liberty to disregard the fourth? The truth is, if we love God, we'll keep the first four and if we love our neighbor, the last six.

Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang (not erase) all the law and the prophets."

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Nancy I agree 100% that God summed up all the Ten Commandments into two - love for God and our neighbors.

Does that mean I can break the first commandment and become a Satan worshiper, and still call myself a Christian?the 2 that Jesus
Or bow down to idols?
Or blaspheme God's name?
Or kill, lie to, or steal from my neighbor?

I can go all the way down the list and you'll say if I love God and my neighbor, I won't break them...so why tell my I'm at liberty to disregard the fourth? The truth is, if we love God, we'll keep the first four and if we love our neighbor, the last six.

Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang (not erase) all the law and the prophets."

I feel if you keep the first 2 that Jesus mentioned, you won't break the rest...otherwise, you are under the law and do not have His saving grace. We are under grace-not Law...the 10 or the hundreds of others. After the cross, we who are saved have the Spirit of the Living God living inside us, so we do have the ability to say no to sin, from the heart, not as works...as the Jews had to before the cross.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was under the Theocracy, which the Jews were no longer under when they chose an earthly king instead of the KING OF KINGS.

No. Otherwise the Pharisees would not be making a big deal about His disciples profaning the sabbath day in Matthew 12:1-7.

Not sure what you mean by this, please clarify.

Christian sabbath day keepers are not doing what Jewish sabbath day keepers do by killing Jews breaking the commandment of the sabbath day.

All Ten Commandments are directly/indirectly repeated in the New Testament and never spoken of as abolished like was the Mosaic Law. Sabbath observance by Gentiles is repeatedly documented. Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV says "there remaineth a rest ("Sabbatismos" which means keeping Sabbath) to the people of God.

That would be hypocritical since you are still working by keeping the sabbath day. That is hardly coming to that rest in Jesus Christ that was promised by Him in Matthew 11:28-30 To enter into that rest as claiming you have ceased from all works as Hebrews 4:9-11 testify, you cannot continue to keep the sabbath day holy.

For he (Christian) that hath entered into His rest, he hath ceased from is own works (not "works of sin" but literal toil and labor) as God did from His (on the seventh day of Creation Week). What we don't find is one single example of anyone keeping Sunday as the day of rest.

The New Covenant is defined as God's Law - not Moses' law - written on our hearts. Jeremiah 31:31-33 KJV and Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV. We don't need any "careful instruction" written down anywhere bc the the Sabbath commandment is supposed to be written on the heart of every New Covenant Christian, is it not? And it's "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the Living God, not on tables of stone, but on the fleshly tables of the heart."

I see you as making yourself the saviour of your own salvation by keeping the sabbath day and judging other believers for not keeping it. All you are talking about is what YOU HAVE TO DO and not what HE HAS DONE in having saved you and Jesus Christ IN you is why you are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day.

You cannot keep the faith in Him for what He has done in having saved you since you had believed in Him if you are looking to keeping the sabbath day for your justification.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I feel if you keep the first 2 that Jesus mentioned, you won't break the rest...otherwise, you are under the law and do not have His saving grace. We are under grace-not Law...the 10 or the hundreds of others. After the cross, we who are saved have the Spirit of the Living God living inside us, so we do have the ability to say no to sin, from the heart, not as works...as the Jews had to before the cross.

Agree.
The 10 were not done away with...for they are are alive and well within the two. And Jesus told us that He came to fulfil the law... The Perfect Lamb, who was Perfect Love...left us the laws of Love. Who is Himself.....
.....for God is Love.

Amen.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
The 10 were not done away with...for they are are alive and well within the two. And Jesus told us that He came to fulfil the law... The Perfect Lamb, who was Perfect Love...left us the laws of Love. Who is Himself.....
.....for God is Love.

Amen.
Perfectly said... GOD.IS.LOVE!!! Awesome

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
.....for God is Love.

Amen.
Yes, Jesus is the substitute, but also the example:

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Jesus did you keep the sabbath, by the Holy Ghost, for it was part of the Everlasting Covenant? Yes:

Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luke 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
What about you Paul? Did you follow the example of Jesus in the New Covenant, by the Holy Ghost?

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.​

2 Thessalonians 3:7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Acts 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.
Thus:

Jesus Christ Himself is also a permanent witness to the 7th Day Sabbath, for He honoured it and kept it Holy every single day of His whole life on Earth, from Birth until death, "as his custom was", and He is our example.

Like as in the example of Paul/Luke in the Book of Acts, we can calculate [roughly] the number of Sabbaths [speaking of the 7th Day of the Lord thy God] that Jesus Kept in His whole Life on Earth [33 1/2 years], and it comes to 1,742 - 7th Day Sabbaths of the Lord thy God kept [roughly at 52 weeks per year, plus 1 1/2 year].

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Otherwise the Pharisees would not be making a big deal about His disciples profaning the sabbath day in Matthew 12:1-7...Christian sabbath day keepers are not doing what Jewish sabbath day keepers do by killing Jews breaking the commandment of the sabbath day.
Did God still answer the High Priest by Urim and Thummun? No, only in the theocracy did that happen. The Pharisees were the absolute last people who desired to be directly accountable to God in a theocracy. They themselves claimed "We have no king but Caesar". That's why Sabbath-breakers were not stoned to at the time of Jesus, nor in our day, as well.

That would be hypocritical since you are still working by keeping the sabbath day.
Obedience is not work if your motive is love for Jesus - only when your motive is earning salvation, which is impossible.

That is hardly coming to that rest in Jesus Christ that was promised by Him in Matthew 11:28-30 To enter into that rest as claiming you have ceased from all works as Hebrews 4:9-11 testify, you cannot continue to keep the sabbath day holy.
The text is absolutely clear that "he that hath entered into His rest, he hath ceased from his own works as God did from His." To interpret this as anything but saying if you are resting inwardly in Jesus, you'll rest outwardly every Sabbath day is just nonsensical.

I see you as making yourself the saviour of your own salvation by keeping the sabbath day and judging other believers for not keeping it.
That is a very presumptuous statement to make and is an indictment of Jesus Himself, for it is He Who said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." I could accuse you of having no love for Jesus by your refusal to obey Him, but I won't because I don't want to make presumptuous statements like that.

You cannot keep the faith in Him for what He has done in having saved you since you had believed in Him if you are looking to keeping the sabbath day for your justification.
Why do people who refuse to obey Jesus always accuse others who are willing to do so as attempting to obtain justification by works? Jesus said those who obey are "unprofitable servants"...and that He will say to them that refuse to obey that He never knew them.

Reactions: brakelite

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus is the substitute, but also the example:

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Jesus was a Jew, and kept every commandment perfectly for His whole life. There was no New Covenant yet, not until Jesus died did it go into affect.
To me it's simple...do you want to live under law or grace? Love is the fulfillment of the law” (Romans 13:8-10)

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Jesus did you keep the sabbath, by the Holy Ghost, for it was part of the Everlasting Covenant? Yes:

Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luke 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
What about you Paul? Did you follow the example of Jesus in the New Covenant, by the Holy Ghost?

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.​

2 Thessalonians 3:7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Acts 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.
Thus:

Jesus Christ Himself is also a permanent witness to the 7th Day Sabbath, for He honoured it and kept it Holy every single day of His whole life on Earth, from Birth until death, "as his custom was", and He is our example.

Like as in the example of Paul/Luke in the Book of Acts, we can calculate [roughly] the number of Sabbaths [speaking of the 7th Day of the Lord thy God] that Jesus Kept in His whole Life on Earth [33 1/2 years], and it comes to 1,742 - 7th Day Sabbaths of the Lord thy God kept [roughly at 52 weeks per year, plus 1 1/2 year].

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sabbatarians seem to forget (or deliberately ignore) a few very relevant things about Sabbath-keeping:

1. The sabbath was given to the Israelities (Israel) not to the Church. It was an integral part of the Old Covenant (the Law of Moses): And Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said unto them, These are the words which the LORD hath commanded, that ye should do them. Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. (Exod 35:1,2)

2. Jesus of Nazareth was "made under the Law" meaning that He was the only Jew who ever kept the Law of Moses (which was actually His own Law) perfectly (including Sabbath -keeping). But when He cried it "IT IS FINISHED" He not only meant that He had finished the mighty work of redemption on the Cross, but the Old Covenant was finished. And in order to confirm this, God supernaturally tore the temple veil in two from top to bottom. Later on, the temple itself would be destroyed under God's judgment.

3. While the apostles were on earth, they did continue with some of the practices of the Old Covenant (since they were all Jews) but at the same time they (with the Holy Spirit) informed Gentile Christians that Sabbath-keeping was EXCLUDED from the four commandments given to them from the Old Covenant. Study Acts 15.

4. At the same time the apostles and the apostolic churches made the Lord's Day (Rev 1:10) -- the first day of the week -- the Christian sabbath (for rest, for worship, and for good works): And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days. And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread [the Lord's Supper], Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (Acts 20:6,7)

5. As time progressed and the epistles were written and circulated in the apostolic churches, Paul revealed that SABBATH DAYS WERE MERELY SHADOWS. The reality is Christ (who is our eternal rest):
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Col 2:16,17)

6. Sabbatarianism was first promoted by the Seventh Day Adventists (who have many false doctrines created by Ellen G. White and others), primarily to push the idea that Sunday worship is "the Mark of the Beast", and was created by the Roman Catholic Church. Well that is pure baloney. Yet they cannot keep the Law of Moses perfectly, which means that they are between a rock and a hard place.

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbatarians seem to forget (or deliberately ignore) a few very relevant things about Sabbath-keeping:
Not at all. We do not believe in stuff that is made up:

1. The sabbath was given to the Israelities (Israel) not to the Church. It was an integral part of the Old Covenant (the Law of Moses): And Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said unto them, These are the words which the LORD hath commanded, that ye should do them. Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. (Exod 35:1,2)
Natural to spiritual Israel; 1 Corinthians 15:46. Jesus is Israel, Matthew 2:13-15; Hosea 11:1; His children are His disciples, Hebrews 2:9-18 (vs 13); Isaiah 8:8-20 (vs 16,18), etc. John 14:15; Exodus 20:6, etc.

Jesus is also the true Adam, the true David, true Levi, true Solomon, true Melchizedek, etc, etc.

You can find more here in detail - https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-covenant-fulfilled-in-the-new-col-2.8062561/

See also - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-10#post-413990

2. Jesus of Nazareth was "made under the Law" meaning that He was the only Jew who ever kept the Law of Moses (which was actually His own Law) perfectly (including Sabbath -keeping). But when He cried it "IT IS FINISHED" He not only meant that He had finished the mighty work of redemption on the Cross, but the Old Covenant was finished. And in order to confirm this, God supernaturally tore the temple veil in two from top to bottom. Later on, the temple itself would be destroyed under God's judgment.
"made of a woman, made under the law" (Galatians 4:4) refers to the law of heredity, his humanity, the flesh he took upon himself, the likeness of fallen sinful flesh of mankind (does not make him a sinner, 1 John 3:4).

The 'old covenant' is found in Exodus 19 & 24. It is not the Ten Commandments, see Romans 3:31 to begin with. They are the Eternal Covenant of God, the "My Covenant", "His Covenant", the New and Everlasting Covenant. New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:8-13, 10:16; Ezekiel 36:25-28, 37:26-27; 2 Corinthians 3:3, etc.) where God writes His Law "My Law/s" (Ten Comamndments) on the heart.

See New Covenant - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-10#post-414003

3. While the apostles were on earth, they did continue with some of the practices of the Old Covenant (since they were all Jews) but at the same time they (with the Holy Spirit) informed Gentile Christians that Sabbath-keeping was EXCLUDED from the four commandments given to them from the Old Covenant. Study Acts 15.
Acts 15 actually says the opposite of what you said:

Act 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
Act 13:43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
Act 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Act 14:15 And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:
Act 14:16 Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in their own ways.

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.​

Act 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Act 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Act 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Act 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
Act 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

etc.

Hebrews 3-4; Revelation 1:10; 12:17; 14:6-7, etc.
See also - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-9#post-413748

See also - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-9#post-413777

4. At the same time the apostles and the apostolic churches made the Lord's Day (Rev 1:10) -- the first day of the week -- the Christian sabbath (for rest, for worship, and for good works): And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days. And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread [the Lord's Supper], Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (Acts 20:6,7)
Revelation 1:10, the Lord's day is not the first day of the week. You read that backward into the text, that is called eisigesis. Let scripture define scripture. Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11, 31:12-18; Deuteronomy 5:12-15; Isaiah 58:13; Mark 2:27, etc. My Holy Day. The Sabbath day of the LORD. It is the Lord's day.

Sunday Fraud - http://www.pickle-publishing.com/papers/sunday-fraud.htm

Sabbath History (Just click on the centuries on the Left) - https://www.sabbathtruth.com/sabbath-history/sabbath-through-the-centuries/id/999/1st-century

Last edited:

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5. As time progressed and the epistles were written and circulated in the apostolic churches, Paul revealed that SABBATH DAYS WERE MERELY SHADOWS. The reality is Christ (who is our eternal rest):
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Col 2:16,17)
Differing sabbaths as identified by the context:

Colossians 2 KJB, parallels Ephesians 2 KJB, and Hebrews 9-10 KJB. The language is the same. The "ordinances" in Colossians 2 deals with "shadows", such as the

[1] daily "meat and drink" offerings of a worldly sanctuary and carnal ordinances,

[2] the seasonal "feast days",

[3] the monthly "new moons",

[4] and the year based "sabbaths", in the singular, every 7 and 50th years, as Paul is citing Psalms 98:1-3; and Ezekiel 45:17 KJB with other texts.

The Sabbath of the LORD thy God is always called "my [as in God's] sabbaths", and the others in Leviticus 23:4 onward are called "your [the peoples] sabbaths" [Leviticus 26:35 KJB] which are "beside [given in addition to] the sabbaths of the LORD" [Leviticus 23:38 KJB]. The Ten Commandments, including the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment, are "light" [Proverbs 6:23, Isaiah 8:20, 51:4 KJB], never a "shadow", are "spiritual" [Romans 7:14 KJB], never "carnal" [Hebrews 9:10 KJB].

Colossians 2:14 - "ordinances"
Ephesians 2:15 - "law of commandments contained in ordinances"
Hebrews 9:1 - "ordinances of divine service"
Hebrews 9:10 - "carnal ordinances"

Colossians 2:16 - "in meat, or in drink" [offerings]
Hebrews 9:10 - "meats and drinks" [offerings]

Colossians 2:12 - "also ye are risen with him"
Ephesians 2:6 - "raised us up together"

Colossians 2:16 - "a shadow of things to come"
Ephesians 2:7 - "in the ages to come"
Hebrews 9:11 - "of good things to come"
Hebrews 10:1 - "the law having a shadow of good things to come", "those sacrifices", "offered year by year"
[ps. none of the Ten Commandments deal with carnal sacrifices]
etc. ..." - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413706

More details upon request or go here - https://www.christianforums.com/thr...illed-in-the-new-col-2.8062561/#post-72625089

Peter warned you - 2 Peter 3:16. Take heed while there is time.

6. Sabbatarianism was first promoted by the Seventh Day Adventists (who have many false doctrines created by Ellen G. White and others), primarily to push the idea that Sunday worship is "the Mark of the Beast", and was created by the Roman Catholic Church. Well that is pure baloney. Yet they cannot keep the Law of Moses perfectly, which means that they are between a rock and a hard place.
Um, no. Jesus is a Seventh-day Adventist, as is Adam, Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, etc, Peter, James, John, Paul, etc, unto us today.

As for the Mark of the Beast, see- https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-lord-the-sign-and-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/

Sabbath in the NT - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-9#post-413777

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413711

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413712

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413713

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413724

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413725

See - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413738

Especially See Rome's challenge to Protestants (bottom links) - https://www.christianityboard.com/t...-seal-of-jehovah-god.26143/page-8#post-413735

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was a Jew, and kept every commandment perfectly for His whole life. There was no New Covenant yet, not until Jesus died did it go into affect.

To me it's simple...do you want to live under law or grace? Love is the fulfillment of the law” (Romans 13:8-10)
The New Covenant is also known in scripture as the Everlasting Covenant, and it was made between the Father and the Son in eternity, with the Holy Ghost as witness. Look it up. It was ratified by the blood and death of Jesus, and ratified by the Father after Jesus ascended. It was available to Adam (Genesis 3:15), Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Abraham (Genesis 17:7), Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, etc, unto the last man in.

We are under grace. Grace is not a license to sin (1 John 3:4). The 4th Commandment is still there in every spiritual word.

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.​

He cited the second table sister, briefly.

God's law remains to be fulfilled in us every moment of every day.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.​

What Law? Ten Commandments.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Covenant is also known in scripture as the Everlasting Covenant, and it was made between the Father and the Son in eternity, with the Holy Ghost as witness. Look it up. It was ratified by the blood and death of Jesus, and ratified by the Father after Jesus ascended. It was available to Adam (Genesis 3:15), Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Abraham (Genesis 17:7), Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, etc, unto the last man in.

We are under grace. Grace is not a license to sin (1 John 3:4). The 4th Commandment is still there in every spiritual word.

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.​

He cited the second table sister, briefly.

God's law remains to be fulfilled in us every moment of every day.

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.​

What Law? Ten Commandments.

We stand righteous before the Father BECAUSE of Christ living IN us. Christ IS the fulfillment of the law=we too (Christians) stand righteous before God. Did you not know that the letter of the Law kills? Did not Paul say in Romans 8:7-9 " What then shall we say? Is the Law sin? By no means! Indeed, I would not have been mindful of sin if not for the Law. For I would not have been aware of coveting if the Law had not said, “Do not covet.” 8 Butsin, seizing its opportunity through thecommandment, produced in me every kindof covetous desire. For apart from the Law,sin is dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died....