Can We as Saved Christians Lose Our Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A concept that is held by many Christian people is that eternal salvation IS ASSURED once we have accepted Christ as our personal Savior and have become a "new creature" in Christ.
But if this were so, that once we have received God's grace, it is impossible to lose it . . . THEN . . .
. . . WHY does Paul say, "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest
. . . I MYSELF SHOULD BE A CASTAWAY?" 1 Corinthians 9:27
. . . WHY can some RECEIVE "THE GRACE OF GOD IN VAIN?" 2 Corinthians 6:1
. . . WHY must we be "FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH" to receive a "crown of life?" Revelation 2:10
. . . WHY does Peter say, "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, THE LATTER END IS WORSE WITH THEM THAN THE BEGINNING. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to return from the holy commandment delivered unto them?" 2 Peter 2:20, 21
. . . WHY are we told that only "he that ENDURETH TO THE END shall be saved?" Matthew 10:22.
. . . WHY are we told "For it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, . . . If they shall fall away, to RENEW THEM AGAIN UNTO REPENTANCE?" Hebrews 6:4-6
. . . WHY must we KEEP OURSELVES into the LOVE OF GOD? Jude 21
. . . WHY are RESURRECTED SAINTS the only ones upon whom the "SECOND DEATH hath NO POWER?" Revelation 20:6
. . . WHY are we told "IF WE SIN WILFULLY after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there REMAINETH NO MORE SACRIFICE FOR SINS, He that despised Moses's law died without mercy . . . OF HOW MUCH SORER PUNISHMENT . . . shall he be . . . worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing?" Hebrews 10:26, 28, 29
. . . WHY must we "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling?" Philippians 2:12
. . . WHY are we told "IF WE BE DEAD with him, we shall also live with him: IF WE SUFFER, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, HE ALSO WILL DENY US?" 2 Timothy 2:11-13
. . . WHY are we told "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? SO RUN, THAT YE MAY OBTAIN?" 1 Corinthians 9:24
. . . WHY are we told "add to your faith virtue . . . knowledge . . . temperance . . .
patience . . . godliness . . . brotherly love . . . charity . . . he that lacketh these things is blind, . . . and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins . . . give diligence to MAKE YOUR CALLING AND ELECTION SURE, for IF ye do these things ye shall never fall?" 2 Peter 1:5-10

From the above Scriptures it becomes readily apparent that heavenly salvation is dependent on more than JUST BECOMING a true Christian. Faithfulness unto death will be required for all who will obtain the crown of life. Revelation 2:10

As we consider these Scriptures, further questions come to mind:
What is implied by being faithful unto Death? What happens to those who fail?
Will only Christians receive salvation? Will all Christians go to heaven? How
will God's will be done in earth as it is in heaven? Matthew 6:10.
"By their Fruits you shall know them," says our Lord [Matthew 7:18-21]. But fruits aren't grown instantaneously; they neither come in a fit of ecstasy, nor should they come at the moment death
closes our eyes. This process is one which the Apostle Paul terms "being transformed by the
renewing of your mind." [Romans 12:2] These fruits of character can come in only one way -- and that is the way of the cross, the strait and narrow gate, a way of self denial, of daily taking up our crosses, presenting our bodies, "living sacrifices," and being dead "with Him." This class is termed by our Lord as his "little flock," [Luke 12:32] for they are a "peculiar people zealous of good works" [Titus 2:14], to whom the scriptures promise the chief blessings as overcomers [Revelation 3:20].

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is never a guarantee of a salvation status. We are under grace not the law. There is no law that provides any guarantees.

We are all at the mercy of God's judgments. There is no law above God that ties His hands.

Of course Christianity today has sunk to the status of a mere human religion...that comes with all the false security that men crave so much.

But not so of the truth.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A concept that is held by many Christian people is that eternal salvation IS ASSURED once we have accepted Christ as our personal Savior and have become a "new creature" in Christ.
But if this were so, that once we have received God's grace, it is impossible to lose it . . . THEN . . .
. . . WHY does Paul say, "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest
. . . WHY must we be "FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH" to receive a "crown of life?" Revelation 2:10
. . . WHY does Peter say, "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, THE LATTER END IS WORSE WITH THEM THAN THE BEGINNING. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to return from the holy commandment delivered unto them?" 2 Peter 2:20, 21
. . . WHY are we told that only "he that ENDURETH TO THE END shall be saved?" Matthew 10:22.
. . . WHY are we told "For it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, . . . If they shall fall away, to RENEW THEM AGAIN UNTO REPENTANCE?" Hebrews 6:4-6
. . . WHY are RESURRECTED SAINTS the only ones upon whom the "SECOND DEATH hath NO POWER?" Revelation 20:6
. . . WHY are we told "IF WE SIN WILFULLY after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there REMAINETH NO MORE SACRIFICE FOR SINS, He that despised Moses's law died without mercy . . . OF HOW MUCH SORER PUNISHMENT . . . shall he be . . . worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing?" Hebrews 10:26, 28, 29
. . . WHY must we "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling?" Philippians 2:12
. . . WHY are we told "IF WE BE DEAD with him, we shall also live with him: IF WE SUFFER, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, HE ALSO WILL DENY US?" 2 Timothy 2:11-13
. . . WHY are we told "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? SO RUN, THAT YE MAY OBTAIN?" 1 Corinthians 9:24
. . . WHY are we told "add to your faith virtue . . . knowledge . . . temperance . . .
patience . . . godliness . . . brotherly love . . . charity . . . he that lacketh these things is blind, . . . and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins . . . give diligence to MAKE YOUR CALLING AND ELECTION SURE, for IF ye do these things ye shall never fall?" 2 Peter 1:5-10

From the above Scriptures it becomes readily apparent that heavenly salvation is dependent on more than JUST BECOMING a true Christian. Faithfulness unto death will be required for all who will obtain the crown of life. Revelation 2:10

"By their Fruits you shall know them," says our Lord [Matthew 7:18-21]. But fruits aren't grown instantaneously; they neither come in a fit of ecstasy, nor should they come at the moment death
closes our eyes. This process is one which the Apostle Paul terms "being transformed by the
renewing of your mind." [Romans 12:2] These fruits of character can come in only one way -- and that is the way of the cross, the strait and narrow gate, a way of self denial, of daily taking up our crosses, presenting our bodies, "living sacrifices," and being dead "with Him." This class is termed by our Lord as his "little flock," [Luke 12:32] for they are a "peculiar people zealous of good works" [Titus 2:14], to whom the scriptures promise the chief blessings as overcomers [Revelation 3:20].

What you write about has everything to do with rewards...nothing to do with salvation ( which is sure)

Paul did not want to "miss the mark"...He ran the race for the prize of the high calling ...God Himself is our full reward.

But, we will always have the nay-sayers with us....

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just did..in the post underneath...I too, thought I should add more!:D

Hahaha...that was in jest I hope you know! :) I can't make my little hearts any more. IE won't let me and this laptop will not allow me to open Chrome. :(
Nancy,
heart, heart :D

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hahaha...that was in jest I hope you know! :) I can't make my little hearts any more. IE won't let me and this laptop will not allow me to open Chrome. :(
Nancy,
heart, heart :D

Did you download Chrome?

I like and use Chrome too... You can always use the Edit right...and the very last drop down is Emoji & Symbols the ♥︎ is in there... but maybe whatever search engine you are using is different? ( in the Edit) xx

Reactions: Nancy

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let’s look at each verse you have stated….there are many..this will take several posts….I can at least start the ‘ball’ rolling….not in a hurry to finish..done this exercise many times....

Start with (1Co 9:27) But like an athlete I discipline my body and make it my slave; lest by any means, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (NEV)

Backdrop/context/meaning of 1 Cor 9:27): Paul is a fanatic and a perfectionist in wanting to preach the gospel as God himself would approve. Paul really wants to be rid of his flesh/body that is his weakness to perfection as he is already in spirit in Christ. He is thinking that his flesh and his body bias may not meet God’s approval in performing God's work. Paul really knows that he must always check his carnal side and flesh, and to keep it under control when performing the Lord’s work to others.

Paul is not saying he might be somehow be disavowed or unconverted in Christ by God and lose his salvation. That is not what Paul is saying at all. If you read the previous verses to this verse 27 you can easily see Paul is a serious man for God and serious about spreading the gospel as God would approve as if he was just in the spirit without the weakness of the flesh/ body that corrupts…

Bless you,

APAK

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you download Chrome?

I like and use Chrome too... You can always use the Edit right...and the very last drop down is Emoji & Symbols the ♥︎ is in there... but maybe whatever search engine you are using is different? ( in the Edit) xx

I have installed and re-installed Chrome and it does nothing when I try to open it. I have a friend who will look at my puter for me. :)

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have installed and re-installed Chrome and it does nothing when I try to open it. I have a friend who will look at my puter for me. :)

It's not your computer, it's chrome.

Do not trust anything Google. They even play politics with their search engine.

This site, like mine, uses Xenforo. Xenforo and chrome do not play well together, as stated on the Xenforo
Site.

I like palemoon for my primary browser and firefox as my backup. Both outperform chrome and are more private. Chrome shares your information.

My search engine is duckduckgo.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8 says it all.

God foreknew who would love him and he predestined them all the way to glorification.

OSAS

To say you lose your salvation says you have to do work. And we are not saved by work.

When we are born again we have new hearts and minds.

To say one can lose their salvation says that those in hell can still be saved.

It puts Christ back on the cross.

It says that if you can gain it then you can lose it then gain it. So you better make sure you don't die you've lost it.

And how can you be unborn again unchanged in mind and spirit. Lose the Holy Spirit.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Can We as Saved Christians Lose Our Salvation?"

How can we lose salvation, when it isn't ours to begin with?

Jonah 2:9 (KJV) But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Philippians 1:6 (KJV) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Perhaps some are putting their trust in another 'jesus'?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then what we do is HARMONIZE all other Scriptures around that truth.

A Berean should know this passage:

ROMANS 8
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified...
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not your computer, it's chrome.

Do not trust anything Google. They even play politics with their search engine.

This site, like mine, uses Xenforo. Xenforo and chrome do not play well together, as stated on the Xenforo
Site.

I like palemoon for my primary browser and firefox as my backup. Both outperform chrome and are more private. Chrome shares your information.

My search engine is duckduckgo.

Hello Core,
The only browser I have on here right now is IE and, I NEVER liked it. But, this system for some reason will not let me open Chrome. I've never had a problem with Chrome and, I can make my own emojis with Chrome. I just purchased this lemon of a laptop in december, already had to take it back and, all they did was fix the power cord recepticle, as that was my main issue. I told them that I could not get Chrome to open. They never did anything with that issue so, I will have a friend look at it...I will try it again one more time though...thank you for the info, even though I have never heard of those browsers you use, lol.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Can We as Saved Christians Lose Our Salvation?"

How can we lose salvation, when it isn't ours to begin with?

Jonah 2:9 (KJV) But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Philippians 1:6 (KJV) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Perhaps some are putting their trust in another 'jesus'?

We need to endure to the end to be "saved" in an eternal way. Otherwise we are engaging in salvation by obedience to Christ with the evidence of love for others as He loves.

even if we are exercising spiritual gifts, that in no way guarantees our acceptance into the kingdom later on. We need to enter into the kingdom life now and walk in His salvation if we want some kind of security. Jesus Christ IS our security. Not our beliefs.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Core,
The only browser I have on here right now is IE and, I NEVER liked it. But, this system for some reason will not let me open Chrome. I've never had a problem with Chrome and, I can make my own emojis with Chrome. I just purchased this lemon of a laptop in december, already had to take it back and, all they did was fix the power cord recepticle, as that was my main issue. I told them that I could not get Chrome to open. They never did anything with that issue so, I will have a friend look at it...I will try it again one more time though...thank you for the info, even though I have never heard of those browsers you use, lol.

Chrome not run on a lot of things.

Try this
Pale Moon for Windows downloads

And maybe
Download the fastest Firefox ever

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then what we do is HARMONIZE all other Scriptures around that truth.

A Berean should know this passage:

ROMANS 8
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified...
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
We need to endure to the end to be "saved" in an eternal way. Otherwise we are engaging in salvation by obedience to Christ with the evidence of love for others as He loves.

even if we are exercising spiritual gifts, that in no way guarantees our acceptance into the kingdom later on. We need to enter into the kingdom life now and walk in His salvation if we want some kind of security. Jesus Christ IS our security. Not our beliefs.
Those who have been regenerated (new birth) have been united with Christ (His work, a work without hands) and will endure to the end.

Reactions: Enoch111

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to enter into the kingdom life now

Hi Episkopos,

Could you explain what you mean by this?

What is there about "enter into the kingdom life" that grants salvation, that "faith in Jesus' propitiatory death and resurrection" does not? You seem to be talking about a 2-step salvation, Trusting Jesus to be born again, but that's not good enough, unless you "enter into the Kingdom life" also. Am I hearing this right?

Much love!
mark