Christianity and the arts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josant7

Jul 7, 2011
All too often, I meet artists with God given talents who compromise their Christian beliefs in order to "re-invent" themselves. I notice that some artists will sing songs of promiscuity, gyrate to sounds of vulgarity, drink and smoke and when they receive awards and accolades, they "thank God" for making their dreams come true. It's a shame because they seem to think that the fame and fortune they've received is somehow from God.

I hope I don't come across as angry person because I'm not. As a musician and a painter, when I create music or paint a picture, not only do I ask myself if it is pleasing to me, but is it pleasing to my Father. Will it inspire my brothers and sisters or will it bring them down? I just have a hard time understanding how some artists can reconcile their Christian beliefs and their art at the same time.

Josant

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
To be succesful in the world, men must be worldly. Success is a temptation of the enemy.

I agree with you, Josant, and think it is sad to see men fall into ungodliness for the sake of fame. :(

I agree about artists, I think it is also true of many, many others. It is rampant in every area of life.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All too often, I meet artists with God given talents who compromise their Christian beliefs in order to "re-invent" themselves. I notice that some artists will sing songs of promiscuity, gyrate to sounds of vulgarity, drink and smoke and when they receive awards and accolades, they "thank God" for making their dreams come true. It's a shame because they seem to think that the fame and fortune they've received is somehow from God.

I hope I don't come across as angry person because I'm not. As a musician and a painter, when I create music or paint a picture, not only do I ask myself if it is pleasing to me, but is it pleasing to my Father. Will it inspire my brothers and sisters or will it bring them down? I just have a hard time understanding how some artists can reconcile their Christian beliefs and their art at the same time.

Josant

Well, to me, the first paragraph does sound angry and judgmental. The second paragraph I like because it's acknolwedging using your gifts for God and to God.

The fact that people compromise their gifts doesn't mean they weren't from God. Elvis Presley received a great gift from God -- he even put out gospel albums. God gave them that talent, and they misused it. Doesn't mean they weren't from God. Things about promiscuity, gyrating in a vulgar fashion, drinking, smoking.... Some of them are sins, some really aren't. But I get your point.... Why glorify sin with your gift?

Keep painting and conducting to glorify God!!!!