Christmas, Easter, Sunday Observance, Is The Church Following Pagan Events?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paganism has entered into the Church and it has tried to Christianize these festivals and events

The Witches New Year (Samhain/Halloween) wasn't observed in church events when I became a Christian many years ago, now its dragged into church events as a harvest festival, kids adorned with costumes, candy, and pagan games

Easter "Sunday" is the Pagan festival of Astarte
in fertility, thats why you have the symbols of fertility in bunnies and eggs, mixed with the cross of Christ on Sunday, a day that follows the pagan timing of the vernal equinox and full moon, with a vast majority of churches partaking in the pagan event

Christmas is the pagan festival in the Roman Saturnalia, wine, women, and song, the rebirth of the Sun at the winter solstice in December, Jesus has nothing to do with it

The Pagan Saturnalia Tree is seen in scripture, (Learn Not The Way Of The Heathen)

Jeremiah 10:2-4KJV

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Sunday observance is also of Pagan origin, founded by Roman Emperor Constatine in 321AD, who observed Sun worship, a day dedicated to their false god

Wikipedia: Sol Invictus

Constantine decreed (March 7, 321) dies solis – the day of the Sun, "Sunday" – as the Roman day of rest

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for grain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is religious fanaticism. Religious fanaticism - Wikipedia

It's all nonsense.

Arguments can easily be made that support that these holidays are Christian in nature.
Hi Devin 553344
When I first became a Christian I started to get convictions about Christmas , yet I loved everything about it. Over the years those convictions have grown. I always struggled with the nativity, it’s conveyed wrongly. Then they started having a tree in the church and people dressed up as Father Christmas. I could never align Christmas as a Christian. I was told for years that it’s not wrong to celebrate the birth of Jesus, which was true, but it never took that inner conviction away.
Last year I started to get the same conviction about Easter when I considered when Jesus died and rose, it simply didn’t fit in with when the church said it did……. I decided that it should be Passover we celebrate.

For me I do think the lines of got muddy over the years - that things have crept in and we do them without questioning why.
I am not an extremist or a fundamentalist, just someone who has to listen to my convictions xxxxx

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin 553344
When I first became a Christian I started to get convictions about Christmas , yet I loved everything about it. Over the years those convictions have grown. I always struggled with the nativity, it’s conveyed wrongly. Then they started having a tree in the church and people dressed up as Father Christmas. I could never align Christmas as a Christian. I was told for years that it’s not wrong to celebrate the birth of Jesus, which was true, but it never took that inner conviction away.
Last year I started to get the same conviction about Easter when I considered when Jesus died and rose, it simply didn’t fit in with when the church said it did……. I decided that it should be Passover we celebrate.

For me I do think the lines of got muddy over the years - that things have crept in and we do them without questioning why.
I am not an extremist or a fundamentalist, just someone who has to listen to my convictions xxxxx
I feel love and peace from the spirit on Christmas. Never had any convictions, just the opposite.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's all nonsense.

Arguments can easily be made that support that these holidays are Christian in nature.
Not being a religious fanatic whatsoever, just telling the truth

Halloween is the witches new year (Samhain)

Easter Sunday is following the spring pagan fertility rites of Astarte, this Sunday follows "their" observance of the vernal equinox and full moon, Jesus said "This Do In Remembrance Of Me" taking communion in his death through the bread and cup, observance of his resurrection isn't biblically instructed

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th its a lie,, Christmas follows the pagan rites in the rebirth of the "Sun" and the winter solstice, the pagan Roman Saturnalia of wine, women, and song

Sunday observance was made law by Pagan Roman Emperor Constatine in 321AD in dedication to "Sun" worship, and it's stuck with what's called the church ever since

You can't Christianize something that isn't biblical, and hang the name of Jesus on it

You can feel free to observe as you wish, but that posted in the OP is "Truth"

Last edited:
Reactions: shortangel

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I feel love and peace from the spirit on Christmas. Never had any convictions, just the opposite.
Yes many do, but it’s just something I have never really known as a Christian. My convictions are for me to follow and evaluate - I merely shared them in context of your link about it being fundamentals and extremists that perhaps have these concerns , as I am not either, I thought I would share xxxx

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paganism has entered into the Church and it has tried to Christianize these festivals and events
No need to revive ancient history and stir the pot. All those became Christian special days a very long time ago. By the same token, Christians do have the liberty to ignore any day that they do not wish to observe. If you prefer to be the Grinch who stole Christmas, no one will object.:p

Reactions: shortangel

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes many do, but it’s just something I have never really known as a Christian. My convictions are for me to follow and evaluate - I merely shared them in context of your link about it being fundamentals and extremists that perhaps have these concerns , as I am not either, I thought I would share xxxx
What is that conviction you mention. What is it? A feeling or thought or spirit?

I get a lot of spiritual interaction, most of it I just ignore and read the bible. Unless it's the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25) then I listen and know it's God.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is that conviction you mention. What is it? A feeling or thought or spirit?

I get a lot of spiritual interaction, most of it I just ignore and read the bible. Unless it's the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25) then I listen and know it's God.
It’s just a deep sense that there is something not right, it started with me studying the biblical accounts of Jesus birth, that led ( over the years) to me considering why we did things. It’s a bit hard to explain.
I came from a non believing family , so before Christmas/ Easter was always from a pagan prospective.
Rita

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to revive ancient history and stir the pot. All those became Christian special days a very long time ago. By the same token, Christians do have the liberty to ignore any day that they do not wish to observe. If you prefer to be the Grinch who stole Christmas, no one will object.:p
Who will partake in the world wide celebration in exchanging gifts, you don't want to be a grinch? :D

Revelation 11:10KJV
10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I came from a non believing family , so before Christmas/ Easter was always from a pagan prospective.
Rita
Well put, I did also

Yes the Pagans had the proclaimed Easter Sunday in fertility rites and December's rebirth of the Sun in worship, the winter solstice, and Roman Saturnalia, wine,, women,, song,, took place long before Jesus walked the earth, it has no place in the Church, in hanging the name of Jesus Christ on Pagan days in observance

Reactions: amigo de christo

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no religious holidays or days to be revered in the NT other than the 1st day of the week to break bread and worship services.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The witches New Year (Samhain/Halloween) wasn't observed in church events when I became a Christian many years ago, now its dragged into church events as a harvest festival, kids adorned with costumes, candy, and pagan games

Easter "Sunday" is the Pagan festival of Astarte
in fertility, thats why you have the symbols of fertility in bunnies and eggs, mixed with the cross of Christ on Sunday, a day that follows the pagan timing of the vernal equinox and full moon, with a vast majority of churches partaking in the pagan event

Christmas is the pagan festival in the Roman Saturnalia, wine, women, and song, the rebirth of the Sun at the winter solstice in December, Jesus has nothing to do with it

The Pagan Saturnalia Tree is seen in scripture, (Learn Not The Way Of The Heathen)

Jeremiah 10:2-4KJV

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Sunday observance is also of Pagan origin, founded by Roman Emperor Constatine in 321AD, who observed Sun worship a day dedicated to their false god

Wikipedia: Sol Invictus

Constantine decreed (March 7, 321) dies solis – the day of the Sun, "Sunday" – as the Roman day of rest

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for grain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."
No, I don't think the church is following pagan events.

Reactions: dev553344

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well put, I did also

Yes the Pagans had the proclaimed Easter Sunday in fertility rites and December's rebirth of the Sun in worship, the winter solstice, and Roman Saturnalia, wine,, women,, song,, took place long before Jesus walked the earth, it has no place in the Church, in hanging the name of Jesus Christ on Pagan days in observance
Guess I need to clarify, I mean we just did Christmas. Presents, tree, food and drink and Easter was just about Easter eggs. It was the traditions within our culture. No one really gave a thought to why we did it, it was just the norm. I actually have wonderful memories of those times, especially when we had snow!
It wasn’t as materialistic back then, not like it is now x

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't think the church is following pagan events.
Easter for sure is pagan. The word in Greek is pascha which translates to passover, nor Easter. Passover coincided with the timing of the pagan holiday and certain translators, such as the KJV, took the liberty to superimpose Easter for Passover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth7t7

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘because they have[fn] forsaken Me, and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the people of Ammon, and have not walked in My ways to do what is right in My eyes and keep My statutes and My judgments, as did his father David.

It's all nonsense.

"This is religious fanaticism". I guess that means Jesus is a religious fanatic then, because i don't read of Him observing Satan-inspired festivals. A person can argue til the cows come home about how they're supposedly Christian, but it won't make their argument true, no matter how much "evidence" they can twist, invent, or scrounge up. The facts of history and scripture shows that they never were Christian.

The OT clearly condemns both festivals in Jeremiah where the prophet was inspired to mention ppl cutting down trees to erect and decorate in their homes, as well as how entire families were baking hot cross buns and making sacrifices to the queen of heaven.

The Bible even goes out of its way to specifically mention that "queen" by name, starting in Jdg. 2:13 where it says "They forsook the LORD and served Baal and the Ashtoreths."

Just as importantly, the Bible went out of its way to mention God's hatred for this kind of false worship:

because they have forsaken Me, and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the people of Ammon, and have not walked in My ways to do what is right in My eyes and keep My statutes and My judgments, as did his father David."

Don't get me wrong, there is a such thing as religious fanaticism, but it is absolutely bogus and dishonest when rebellious, hard-headed, self-willed "Christians" always try to play that card because they don't want to accept the reality that God had plainly categorized these festivals as satanic. That is the religious equivalent of Dems accusing people of being a racist or an enemy of democracy because they won't surrender to their agenda.

The problem with the world of counterfeit Christianity is that it is full of people who aren't zealous for the truth, and they hate it when the people won't let any of God's words fall to the ground(1 Sam. 3:19) tell them what God has to say about x,y, or z instead of encouraging people to rely on human reasoning. If those stubborn people were alive during Elijah's day, they'd be right there with Ahab calling him a "troubler of Israel"(1 Kin. 18:17).

You talk about nonsense, but the real nonsense lies in the fact that millions of "Christians" talk about how much they supposedly love, trust, or believe God, and they still make a conscious effort to ignore and reject His instructions about how He is to be properly worshiped. God gave humanity festivals that are truly Christian throughout Lev. 23, and there isn't a single mention of Christmas, Easter, or Halloween in that entire chapter.

If a festival doesn't appear in that chapter, it is because that festival does nothing to honor God, and is therefore worthless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth7t7

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter for sure us pagan. The word in Greek is pascha which translates to passover, nor Easter. Passover coincided with the timing of the pagan holiday and certain translators, such as the KJV, took the liberty to superimpose Easter for Passover.
I see no harm in celebrating Jesus's resurrection, even if it coincides with another event.

Reactions: Taken

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's look at the ordinary Christians and what they believe. I think that would spell out what the majority of Christianity is doing:

Nearly all U.S. Christians (96%) say they celebrate Christmas. No big surprise there. But a new Pew Research Center survey also finds that 81% of non-Christians in the United States celebrate Christmas, testifying to the holiday’s wide acceptance – or, at least, its unavoidability – in American society. Christmas also celebrated by many non-Christians

And people have the gall to claim Christmas is un-Christian? More positon from a very small few.
Christmas and the honoring o the birth of Christ is not evil . What IS EVIL is mixing in the lies and paganhood .
PEROID .
Stop lieing to kids about some all knowing santa , stop putting up christmas trees
and stop making the celebration all about GREED and etc . JUST HONOR CHRIST . DOING EVIL dont honor CHRIST now does it .
SO i say the same with passover or what most call easter . Celebrating the cruxifiction and raising up of Christ is not evil
BUT DONT BRING THE PAGAN INTO IT . NO BUNNIES , NO EGGS no nada . JUST HONOR IT . YET some folks
have the , GALL , to try and mix the two . Learn ye what that meaneth .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see no harm in celebrating Jesus's resurrection, even if it coincides with another event.
No place in scripture is the believer instructed to remember the Lord's resurrection

The only instruction for remembrance is the Lord's death, not his birth or resurrection, it's that simple

(This Do In Remembrance Of Me)

1 Corinthians 11:24-26KJV
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas and the honoring o the birth of Christ is not evil . What IS EVIL is mixing in the lies and paganhood .
PEROID .
Stop lieing to kids about some all knowing santa , stop putting up christmas trees
and stop making the celebration all about GREED and etc . JUST HONOR CHRIST . DOING EVIL dont honor CHRIST now does it .
SO i say the same with passover or what most call easter . Celebrating the cruxifiction and raising up of Christ is not evil
BUT DONT BRING THE PAGAN INTO IT . NO BUNNIES , NO EGGS no nada . JUST HONOR IT . YET some folks
have the , GALL , to try and mix the two . Learn ye what that meaneth .
I Strongly Disagree

You can't take a pagan day and make it Christian, have no part in the false observance, it's that simple

The only instruction for remembrance is the Lord's death, not his birth or resurrection, it's that simple

(This Do In Remembrance Of Me)

1 Corinthians 11:24-26KJV
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.