• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.

Water has no role in the new birth.

Water didnt die on the Cross for you.
Water didn't shed its blood for you.

God is not in the water, but rather Jesus is the "living water".
This is not H20
So, we can only die, and not be buried with Christ?

Do they leave the corpses laying where they died in your part of the country?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter didn't create water baptism.
He was just continuing it, as a jew, during that time, as John the Baptist was a contemporary.

The "water cults", have tried to continue what God has replaced, with Paul's theology of "justification by faith", that is actually what was always in play, but, when the "time of the gentiles" arrived, it became "body of Christ' doctrine.
Paul calls this "my gospel".
Its actually this...."Abraham believed God and his Faith is counted as righteousness".
This is why Abraham is the "father of our faith".

Study out Romans 4:16.
You'll note that water is not related to this at all.
From there, you'll have to decide to remain in a water cult, or leave it.
But either way, at least you'll hopefully understand that Faith is what God accepts, and water is irrelevant, regarding being born again.
Peter preached the 1st message of the church.

He concluded by telling the sinners they must be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.

He taught water baptism from day 1.

The modern, non-water cults are the real cults.

They oppose Acts 2:38.

You better get out of it before it is too late.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just jumped to another chapter.?
We were in Acts 10:

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

You didn' like this one, apparently, because it's crystal clear that they had already received the Spirit before being baptized.
I love acts 10, but didn't realize you were there yet.(Peter COMMANDED them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, which you are not)

You skipped Acts 2:38 again?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love acts 10, but didn't realize you were there yet.(Peter COMMANDED them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, which you are not)

You skipped Acts 2:38 again?
I didn't skip anything. We were on Acts 10 and you jumped to Acts 2 rather than deal with the fact that the gentiles in Acts 10 were saved before baptism.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was wrong in Acts 2:38?
Peter doesn't say that they are saved by the water.

Acts 2:38, “And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”
Those who hold to the belief that baptism is required for salvation point to this verse and the fact that it says “be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins,” assuming that the word translated “for” in this verse means “in order to get.” However, in both Greek and English, there are many possible usages of the word “for".
There are three possible meanings of the word “for” that might fit the context of Acts 2:38: 1--“in order to be, become, get, have, keep, etc.,” 2—“because of, as the result of,” or 3—“with regard to.”
One example of how this preposition is used in other Scriptures is seen in Matthew 12:41 where the word eis communicates the “result” of an action. In this case it is said that the people of Nineveh “repented at the preaching of Jonah” (the word translated “at” is the same Greek word eis). Clearly, the meaning of this passage is that they repented “because of’” or “as the result of” Jonah’s preaching. In the same way, it would be possible that Acts 2:38 is communicating the fact that they were to be baptized “as the result of” or “because” they already had believed and in doing so had already received forgiveness of their sins.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't skip anything. We were on Acts 10 and you jumped to Acts 2 rather than deal with the fact that the gentiles in Acts 10 were saved before baptism.
No they weren't.

They did not get remission of sins until baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Now you are accusing PETER of skipping Acts 2:38.

Yikes!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter doesn't say that they are saved by the water.

Acts 2:38, “And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”
Those who hold to the belief that baptism is required for salvation point to this verse and the fact that it says “be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins,” assuming that the word translated “for” in this verse means “in order to get.” However, in both Greek and English, there are many possible usages of the word “for".
There are three possible meanings of the word “for” that might fit the context of Acts 2:38: 1--“in order to be, become, get, have, keep, etc.,” 2—“because of, as the result of,” or 3—“with regard to.”
One example of how this preposition is used in other Scriptures is seen in Matthew 12:41 where the word eis communicates the “result” of an action. In this case it is said that the people of Nineveh “repented at the preaching of Jonah” (the word translated “at” is the same Greek word eis). Clearly, the meaning of this passage is that they repented “because of’” or “as the result of” Jonah’s preaching. In the same way, it would be possible that Acts 2:38 is communicating the fact that they were to be baptized “as the result of” or “because” they already had believed and in doing so had already received forgiveness of their sins.
Remission of sins per water baptism is not salvational?

LOL

Magdalene

Feb 24, 2021
Ostio Lido
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No, they are officially qualified to be enlightened by obeying Acts 2:38.

Since Jesus said, "He that keeps my sayings shall never see death" - John 8:51.
I'm asking if you know anyone or group that is illuminated unto Life.
All christian groups I know are dying like flies.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they weren't.

They did not get remission of sins until baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Now you are accusing PETER of skipping Acts 2:38.

Yikes!
That doesn't even make sense. Peter didn't have the book of Acts...and..
Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

Not, " they will receive." Already done. They were already saved before being dunked.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus said, "He that keeps my sayings shall never see death" - John 8:51.
I'm asking if you know anyone or group that is illuminated unto Life.
All christian groups I know are dying like flies.
What do you mean by the highlighted?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently you didn't read any of what I posted.
All I saw is that you imply remission of sins per water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ via Acts 2:38 is not going to save us.

I beg Peter's pardon.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn't even make sense. Peter didn't have the book of Acts...and..
Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

Not, " they will receive." Already done. They were already saved before being dunked.
Wait, the star of the book of Acts is Peter. The co-star was Paul.

Peter WAS the book of Acts.

Remove Peter, you have the book of confusion.

He knew what he said in Acts 2:38....

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait, the star of the book of Acts is Peter. The co-star was Paul.

Peter WAS the book of Acts.

Remove Peter, you have the book of confusion.

He knew what he said in Acts 2:38....
Still dancing around the fact that the gentiles were already saved I see.
Do you understand that the Bible reveals more Truth as it moves forward in time? The OT gives us glimpses of what God is like and how he works. And the New shows him revealed more and more, to both the diciples and to us, the readers. Peter got some things right at pentecost, but he did not yet have the full revelation.
What does John the Baptist say about baptism?

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:” – Matthew 3:11

Paul received farther Revelation on this topic:

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?” – Romans 6:3

What kind of baptism is Paul talking about? Not a wet one!

John the Baptist contrasted his baptism in water with Jesus’ baptism with the Holy Spirit. According to John the Baptist, the baptism with the Holy Spirit would be a distinctive part of the ministry of Jesus Christ.

Before His ascension into heaven Jesus said the following to His disciples.

John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5 NLT).

Simon Peter used this phrase when recounting what took place when the gospel was received by the Gentiles. We read of this in the Book of Acts. He said.15 “As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered what the Lord had said: ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”

Ahh, now Peter is understanding that it's not just about the water and not just about repentance.
It's a new form of baptism that comes from believing in Christ's resurrection.

The Apostle Paul used the phrase once. In his first letter to the Corinthians he wrote the following words.

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether we are Jews or Greeks or slaves or free, we were all made to drink of the one Spirit 1 Corinthians 12:13
Are you getting it now?

To the Galatians, Paul proclaimed that believers had been baptized “into” Christ. He explained it in this manner.

for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ Galatians 3:27

To the church in Ephesus, the Apostle Paul emphasized that there is only one baptism. He put it this way.

[There is] One Lord, one faith, one baptism Ephesians 4:5

What baptism is it that matters? Not the wet one, but the baptism of fire. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Thanks for the discussion because it has really clarified my understanding of this topic to study it more. I believe more than ever that those who rely on their dunking for their salvation are in error.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.

Water has no role in the new birth.

The Holy Ghost is absolutely promised as the result of being water baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39).

Peter didn't create water baptism.
He was just continuing it, as a jew, during that time, as John the Baptist was a contemporary.

Was John the Baptist wrong to baptize?

Furthermore, Jesus also took up the ministry of baptism in John 4:1-2. Was Jesus wrong?

You said that water has the power to save.
I didnt say this, you did.
So, ether continue to lie, or stop, but dont keep changing your words to try to hide your water cult mentality, everytime you are proven to have it.

If I said that water has the power to save, it was only in the context of the fact that going under the water and coming up out of it is the only way to accurately represent death, burial, and resurrection and our identification with that in Christ.

I have said that the water does not have any magical qualities. It is the symbol that saves; in that through the symbol of being buried in the water, the person makes a confession of Jesus Christ before men; so that Christ will confess him before His Father in heaven and before the holy angels (Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8).

Tell me, is it not salvational to a man for Christ to confess him before the Father and His angels?

I think that it is.

Yeah I have moved on from him, sad...

Oh well; I guess that you are one of those spoken of in 2 Timothy 4:3.

If you have moved on from me it is not because I said that the water saves; for that is not my position.

But if you think that that is the reason, know that you have rejected me as a teacher for a faulty reason that is not based in reality. I have stated my true position above; and it is not that water has any kind of magical qualities to be able to save a person.

You just jumped to another chapter.?
We were in Acts 10:

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

You didn' like this one, apparently, because it's crystal clear that they had already received the Spirit before being baptized.

In Acts chapter 10, the church was in a period of transition. Most believers believed that only Jews could be saved at that time. So, God gave Cornelius and friends the baptism of the Holy Ghost in order to prove to the circumcision group of Peter's day that Gentiles could be saved. If they had not spoken in tongues, the circumcision group would never have allowed Cornelius and friends to be baptized in water (thus identifying them as Christians). The circumcision group was opposed to any non-Jew being included in the kingdom of God. So, God had to prove to them that Gentiles could be saved so that they would allow them into the fold of Christianity.

God was not changing His mind about the promise that He gave in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39. He created an exception to the rule of Acts of the Apostles 2:38 in order to create a situation where those who were of the circumcision would be willing to allow Gentiles into the fold of Christianity.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?” – Romans 6:3

What kind of baptism is Paul talking about? Not a wet one!

That is disputable.

In order to have a case you would have to contend for the idea that water baptism is not baptism.

For I would contend that baptism is three-in-one: 1) water, 2) Spirit, 3) fire;

And therefore you cannot separate water baptism from Holy Spirit baptism because there is one baptism (Ephesians 4:5).

And because there is one baptism, you cannot separate water baptism from Holy Spirit baptism unless you say that water baptism is not baptism.