Does Scripture Endorse Being Derisive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, scripture does not endorse derisiveness with another believer. We are to ideally agree, disagree, correct, admonish, encourage, edify others in truth and love without lowering ourselves to mocking and insulting the person and their beliefs. Unfortunately, all of us at some point will ‘see’ other writings directed at us as personal attacks of our beliefs and doctrines. Or at some point we want to 'get out' and share our beliefs without interruption and rebuttal. I recommend taking a deep breath and take the higher road.

I just recently thought a person on this site was attacking me and I prematurely and mildly, I believe reacted in turn, as I thought I was justified. I was completely wrong and apologized. I never took the time to examine the writing in its entirety.

Also, as people, we come in all garden varieties of thickness of skin and head thickness. Some have a short attention span, and some can stretch their fuse around the world before getting upset.

It is the responsibility of each member to know the limitations and traits of others they share their writings, if they are truly interested in sharing the truth. It is somewhat of an acquired art form, gained through experience with love and understanding.

Remember, if we are confident in our faith and beliefs then this should be sufficient extinguish or ward off any desire to retaliate.

Bless all,

APAK

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well said @APAK Agree.
With some one can read the irritation or harshness in a reply...with others the rudeness is evident and deliberate.
I know that H.I H. is thinking of a nasty response that he got from something this morning.
To me it was totally uncalled for.
If and when that happens to me...I usually side step it and ignore the post w/o responding.
But, once in a while it does cause me to 'lose it' and say more than I should do. :oops:

As you yourself said...I get get a bit feisty :D
I have always appreciated your spirit...you keep a cool head!

Bless you Helen

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 15:1-2 KJV
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. [2] The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

This is an excellent two verses. I was thinking today just how many proverbs there had to be that were applicable, and they're already showing up in proof of it.

Reactions: FHII and Helen

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, scripture does not endorse derisiveness with another believer. We are to ideally agree, disagree, correct, admonish, encourage, edify others in truth and love without lowering ourselves to mocking and insulting the person and their beliefs. Unfortunately, all of us at some point will ‘see’ other writings directed at us as personal attacks of our beliefs and doctrines. Or at some point we want to 'get out' and share our beliefs without interruption and rebuttal. I recommend taking a deep breath and take the higher road.

I just recently thought a person on this site was attacking me and I prematurely and mildly, I believe reacted in turn, as I thought I was justified. I was completely wrong and apologized. I never took the time to examine the writing in its entirety.

Also, as people, we come in all garden varieties of thickness of skin and head thickness. Some have a short attention span, and some can stretch their fuse around the world before getting upset.

It is the responsibility of each member to know the limitations and traits of others they share their writings, if they are truly interested in sharing the truth. It is somewhat of an acquired art form, gained through experience with love and understanding.

Remember, if we are confident in our faith and beliefs then this should be sufficient extinguish or ward off any desire to retaliate.

Bless all,

APAK

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hummm I see no response from you to APAK's post Nancy...did you leave it off?
You quoted him..but nothing 'from you' shows up as a comment!!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." Psalm 2:2-4

"The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming." Psalm 37:12-13

Ooooo... now here are some interesting verses. What happens here, in my opinion, is what scholars argue is a type of anthropomorphism, where God is described in human terms. But that's certainly open for debate... I actually like these verses, LoL, as I have a tendency to laugh at the wicked myself sometimes... but it's not in a mean or hateful sense, just in a "Go ahead and think you're going to win in the end" sort of sense.

I may look these up in the originals and see how accurate the wording is. Thanks for the post, Amadeus. Thought-provoking for sure.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said @APAK Agree.
With some one can read the irritation or harshness in a reply...with others the rudeness is evident and deliberate.
I know that H.I H. is thinking of a nasty response that he got from something this morning.
If and when that happens to me...I usually side step it and ignore the post w/o responding.
But, once in a while it does cause me to 'lose it' and say more than I should do. :oops:

Bless you Helen

Hey feisty lady! lol.

"If and when that happens to me...I usually side step it and ignore the post w/o responding."

Yes, I would do the same and, some folks can be more
sensitive than others and get hurt easier. :(

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Until I am really able to laugh at myself without hesitation when I recognize my own foolishness before God, how can I be correct in laughing derisively at someone else?

Absolutely. I actually laugh at myself quite often, only those who don't know me don't always know that, so when they see me chuckling at them they don't know that I'm more of actually laughing with them than just at them. This is why for me getting to really know others is important. If not, we can misjudge others in their intent.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said @APAK Agree.

Bless you Helen

...you keep a cool head! I agree, APAK is very kind and to the point. I enjoy his posts.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus 2:8 KJVS
Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Possibly one of the most damning verses against the argument that we are justified in being insulting. How can they have no evil thing to say of us if we've been blatantly insulting?!

And here's the really interesting thing, and this is my whole point. Sometimes people need to be warned. Sometimes they need to be corrected. But do we do so in an insulting spirit? NO! People pick up very easily on our tone and our insinuations, and they know when they are being scorned by someone or when they are just trying to correct them in love.

It sort of reminds me of that old Andy Griffith episode where they were trying to rehabilitate this old couple that loved fighting all the time. Andy made the guy tell his wife "Mornin', Honey," but it came out so nasty that Barney said, "I'd rather be called 'Skunkface' than 'Honey' like that."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does scripture endorse being derisive to one another?
The short answer is "NO".

We must address the issue or the topic at hand, and if something does not line up with Scripture, that must be shown from the Bible. But we need to avoid any personal attacks, or putting anyone down personally. However, denominations, cults, false teachers and false prophets should be shown to be in error (if that is the case), since we do not know who is searching for the truth and the right church.

B

brakelite

…for ye have need of patience....I was considering the patience of the Father as He steadfastly refused to intervene as His only Son was being abused, insulted, beaten, whipped, mocked, and nailed to the cross. What patience as He sat upon His throne of glory, with every angel in heaven waiting for a simple nod to fly to the rescue of their Master.

Can you not imagine those angels, with their toes on the borders of heaven, just itching to fly to their beloved Commander's rescue? Imagine Gabriel, as he paces the streets of the New Jerusalem, one eye on the throne waiting, longing for that nod, even the slightest indication or sign that he may be permitted to send forth his legions of angels to avenge the suffering of his Creator and Leader, and the other eye upon Jesus, with tears streaming down his face, love and anguish and confusion and amazement etched upon his face as he watches the scenes unfolding before the astonished universe.

What patience as Jesus hung in pain and shame and agony , with the sins of the world upon His shoulders, experiencing for the first time in eternity separation from His Father.

What pain and anguish and mental agony was the Father going through as He watched His Son being so abused. What depths of pain must He have known when His Son, His only Son cried out for Him and He could not answer? What held Him back from sending those angels to destroy those men? Those murderers who would dare even to touch the Prince of heaven. What was so important, that even the death of God’s Son must continue without interference, without intervention?

Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
Ps 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

What patience in the midst of suffering is the above in comparison with the merest slights we receive from each other?

Who are we that should be so offended at one another's humanness, that we must feel the need to respond in such a manner to destroy another's character to uphold our own ego, pride and dignity, yet in doing so destroy our own integrity, in comparison to the patience shown to us by God Himself when we abuse Him each day with our sin and weaknesses?

PS. It was far easier for me to write the above than put it into practice. God help us all to be patient and kind and gentle with one another at all times. Despite our differences. I believe our restraint reveals more about who we are than our forthrightness.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most wonderful thing about being truly led by the Holy Spirit is that we can speak by His unction and have neither to suffer condemnation or congratulate ourselves on the outcome. The basic direction of the Lord is;

Mark 13:11 KJVS
But when they shall lead you , and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

And as witnessed by;

Ezekiel 3:26-27 KJVS
And I will make thy tongue cleave to the roof of thy mouth, that thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be to them a reprover: for they are a rebellious house. [27] But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God ; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house.

When we are moved about by our emotions and speak out of turn then there will be strife and every sort of contention. True, the same thing can happen from their side even when the Lord is allowed to guide your words, but in that event we can be free from guilt having yielded ourselves to the will of the Holy Spirit.

I've waited for the anointing to come upon me many times when speaking to another. Knowing nothing good would be accomplished until He pitched in. Once in evidence that I'd allowed Him to speak a hitch hiker I'd given a ride to remarked after a silence on his part, "where did you learn to speak like that"? I knew that God had touched him.

The listener may accept or reject what you are saying, but if spoken in love, which can be powerfully forceful, we can rest in our obedience.

The very selfsame principle applies to writing as well as to speaking. The anointing will supply you the words as fast as you can type them. By yielding our members to God we accomplish good. When we pursue anger or a "I'm telling you off now"! Spirit we just sow strife and as proverbs says throw fuel on the fire.

If the listener wants to fight after you have spoken by the Holy Spirit his argument is with God and not you.

As Paul said, and I believe that I also have the spirit of God. Amen

Peace be unto all those that pursue His peace with all their might.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…for ye have need of patience....I was considering the patience of the Father as He steadfastly refused to intervene as His only Son was being abused, insulted, beaten, whipped, mocked, and nailed to the cross. What patience as He sat upon His throne of glory, with every angel in heaven waiting for a simple nod to fly to the rescue of their Master.

Can you not imagine those angels, with their toes on the borders of heaven, just itching to fly to their beloved Commander's rescue? Imagine Gabriel, as he paces the streets of the New Jerusalem, one eye on the throne waiting, longing for that nod, even the slightest indication or sign that he may be permitted to send forth his legions of angels to avenge the suffering of his Creator and Leader, and the other eye upon Jesus, with tears streaming down his face, love and anguish and confusion and amazement etched upon his face as he watches the scenes unfolding before the astonished universe.

What patience as Jesus hung in pain and shame and agony , with the sins of the world upon His shoulders, experiencing for the first time in eternity separation from His Father.

What pain and anguish and mental agony was the Father going through as He watched His Son being so abused. What depths of pain must He have known when His Son, His only Son cried out for Him and He could not answer? What held Him back from sending those angels to destroy those men? Those murderers who would dare even to touch the Prince of heaven. What was so important, that even the death of God’s Son must continue without interference, without intervention?

Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
Ps 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

What patience in the midst of suffering is the above in comparison with the merest slights we receive from each other?

Who are we that should be so offended at one another's humanness, that we must feel the need to respond in such a manner to destroy another's character to uphold our own ego, pride and dignity, yet in doing so destroy our own integrity, in comparison to the patience shown to us by God Himself when we abuse Him each day with our sin and weaknesses?

PS. It was far easier for me to write the above than put it into practice. God help us all to be patient and kind and gentle with one another at all times. Despite our differences. I believe our restraint reveals more about who we are than our forthrightness.

I like your answer, Brakelite, but we appear to be approaching the issue from two entirely different directions. When we have no choice but to submit to being insulted, this is most certainly the proper course of action to take. But now here's the thing: I am approaching the question from the perspective of what should we allow as Christian leaders.

The basis of what I am arguing for is here in 2 Timothy 4:2: "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and teaching." We are indeed supposed to be long-suffering, but with all teaching, in reproving and rebuking that which is sin. The reason why I was addressing the issue in the OP is because I see so much derisiveness on the Christian forums, and when one calls attention to it, there are some who even go so far as to defend the practice. So the thread is attempting to establish clearly whether scripture condones it or not, and if not, then it should be reproved and rebuked, with all long-suffering and teaching (from the scriptures).

So what then is your position from that perspective? Do you think scripture condones being derisive, or no?

Thanks for the reply. It's good discussing it with you.

Reactions: Helen

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To take two or three verses out of context and try to paint Jesus as an angry dictator and overlook the many verses that show His true nature is ridiculous and only self-serving. People should get their flesh under subjection before responding with hate filled comments to each other. There is no scriptural excuse or any justification for abusing someone because you disagree with them. The Word is enough (sharper than any two-edged sword) to get your point across in any argument without adding vile and hurtful comments aimed at tearing down. What spirit is that anyway? The tongue (keyboard) is indeed a dangerous weapon in the hands of a contentious person. But should be equally as powerful for those of us who would use it for Peace.