Does Scripture Endorse Being Derisive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does scripture endorse being derisive to one another? The word essentially means being disrespectful to them by using mockery and insults. I will hear both sides with fairness and let the best case win, rather than simply assuming anything from the outset (though I have my own opinion going in).

If any one wishes for the Lord to minister in heeding the call of "let us reason together..", then using insults and mocking statements will hardly aid in the progress of any discussion. If one find themselves arguing the point to be tempted to start calling the other names, then may the Lord remind that person before doing it to let it go for they know not what they do. Patience and longsuffering are fruits of the Spirit for how His ministry should go.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

1 Corinthians 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
except Jesus, yeh
Well it is not supposed be Jesus alone, is it?

"Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just." Luke 14:12-14

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
but why would not the angels wonder, and hope if there might be a change in mind?
well imo bc angels are not people, they are manifestations, that you create, also create. So, next time you walk into a room and are made aware of the spirit you have manifested, contemplate whether it might hope something or not. And sure, you might not name it, but your kids do, they even have little discussions about how to get you into a certain spirit to get their way in some matter, etc

plus again imo the change of mind was to manifest Christ in the first place; the suffering and conclusion were foregone imo. This is presented as an excellent opp to "worship" to us, and to hold Christ in effigy, but i tell you that no Son of Man may die for your sins; the soul that sins shall die. I can send that NT too if you like. Jesus gave you all of His glory; you just have to pick it up.
Nor should we ever think that God cannot be an emotional being that was horrified at the treatment dished out to His Son
but a prob there is see, if you have a God that can be "horrified," then He must by extrapolation also be surprised, and even ignorant. Jesus knew fully what was coming imo, down to the details of being crucified rather than stoning, the legal punishment for the offense
Anyway, my point in the post was that if God can be so patient with all the putrid garbage we offer him, why should we be insulting one another and abusing others, over matters of faith for goodness sake?
yes, great point, and to that i would say you are addressing two diff "we's" there

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well it is not supposed be Jesus alone, is it?

"Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just." Luke 14:12-14
amen. Now i gotta say that this is going to wreck ones man-made peace and tranquility, assuming you have built a Standard American Life; your forgiveness is gonna be sorely tested lol.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amen. Now i gotta say that this is going to wreck ones man-made peace and tranquility, assuming you have built a Standard American Life; your forgiveness is gonna be sorely tested lol.
There are undoubtedly people who invite the ones suggested by Jesus instead of those we favor carnally [this carnally may include our church going "friends"].

Although my wife has never been the Bible student that many are, she has always surpassed me [and most of the people I have known in church or out of church] in doing onto others or inviting the truly needy to dinner or sharing our food and other resources with unknown neighbors or homeless people seen only once in our lifetimes.

She was doing this when we were first married before we were even making a pretense or effort as the world sees it [as organized Christianity practices it...?] at serving God. [Really she was already serving God better in this respect (as I see it... but I ama admittedly biased) than most Christians we had known when I met her.]

At the first I allowed it grudgingly for I really was a bit selfish with our "stuff" and would sometimes try to talk her out of it. As time went by God pushed me in her direction but I still seldom come up with idea of sharing that way. But now I am certainly less inclined to oppose her when she does it. I expect it. She does not disappoint me. We are not in debt, but every time I thought we might get ahead a little and hold onto savings for us... well we are retired and we are content with what we have but there is no emergency fund. If it were me alone, things would have been different, but thank God for how it is.

"Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD." Prov 18:22

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If it were me alone, things would have been different, but thank God for how it is.
i spent most of my life pushing away those God sent, and have just recently embraced the idea myself. I don't go looking for them now, necessarily, but i don't ignore the...invitations anymore either. Getting over the feeling that i am doing them some favor was/is one of the harder parts; going in with that pov is a killer imo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i spent most of my life pushing away those God sent, and have just recently embraced the idea myself. I don't go looking for them now, necessarily, but i don't ignore the...invitations anymore either. Getting over the feeling that i am doing them some favor was/is one of the harder parts; going in with that pov is a killer imo
If I am killed, then I am killed. That too is OK so long as I am in Him when I am killed.
Give God the glory, my friend!

Reactions: Philip James

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha oh i didn't mean 'a killer' like that lol; just that you can kill the Spirit by being the...Superior Charitable Guy
It is supposed to come from what God has written in our hearts. If it does not, then we really do have a problem, don't we? Are we really sheep who always recognize the Master's voice, or have we drawn conclusions of our own and presume that they are the Lord's> A lot of delusions being walked in... We need to learn how to avoid them.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any one wishes for the Lord to minister in heeding the call of "let us reason together..", then using insults and mocking statements will hardly aid in the progress of any discussion. If one find themselves arguing the point to be tempted to start calling the other names, then may the Lord remind that person before doing it to let it go for they know not what they do. Patience and longsuffering are fruits of the Spirit for how His ministry should go.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

1 Corinthians 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Very good answer as far as I'm concerned, JesusIsFaithful. Galatians 5:14 is fantastic, and I had been waiting on someone to post 2 Timothy 2:23 for a while now. This to me is the primary verse, although several others that have been posted have been great as well.

Thanks for the post!

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that why you don't often join in many other threads?
So you do not feel that just "giving and taking" of other thoughts in the scriptures is worth your time? :(

Aspen, Phillip, and epostle1 are here too and they post in other threads, often in threads that have nothing at all to do with Catholic or anti-Catholic, just interesting threads about neutral subjects.

So, what you are really saying is..if "Taken" and Stranger were not arguing with you...you would not be here?? :(

Wow...you must put a lot of weight on what they argue with you about then...I feel their arguments are pointless. But who am I.

Without them, how would you spend you time? :D

Bless you BOL ... Helen
I am only here to dispel myths and lies about the Catholic Church - and there are PLENTY of those on this forum.
Occasionally, I post on other threads - like the current one about the "Rapture" myth.

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright. I'm in agreement with you.
The intent was to engage everyone in a scriptural debate, so the request was to cite scriptures for your position.
Any you'd wish to share?
I already did:
Exod. 20:16
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."

Here's another one:
1 Tim. 5:20
As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh the ego......stunning
Has nothing to do with "ego."
I simply don't tolerate lies about Christ's Church.

"Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton
That's probably why YOU'RE so agreeable with anti-Catholics . . .

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good answer as far as I'm concerned, JesusIsFaithful. Galatians 5:14 is fantastic, and I had been waiting on someone to post 2 Timothy 2:23 for a while now. This to me is the primary verse, although several others that have been posted have been great as well.

Thanks for the post!

Well, I cannot take the credit since He has provided His words to share, but in the same voice, I am thankful to Him that you were able to receive it since it is on Him to cause the increase.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Though-provoking response, and take your time on your kid's club stuff. When you have time, are you arguing that there may be instances where it might be beneficial to be insulting to someone if it causes them to react? I'd like a little more clarification if you could.

No...I don't really mean insulting. I just mean that sometimes speaking truth, standing firm and truly loving someone "God's way", will mean that they don't get the "warm fuzzies"...if you get my meaning. Does that mean you are being mean or insulting? Not intentionally, no. It means that you love God above all, you follow God above all, and the love you have for him trickles down to your fellow man. God's laws and morals are ultimately for our good and our joy. People don't often see that and understand it fully. They see "no" as being mean, judgmental, etc.
But...I think there is often a way to communicate these things without being nasty. Of course...it's often not this simply, sadly. So many people who hold differing opinions come to conversations with a great deal of anger and defensiveness and react poorly, no matter how you say something. And, in part, I think this is because there have been too many people out there trying to "preach" without love. It's just another reminder to us that love and truth must travel hand in hand, I think.

B

brakelite

Interesting that the discussion has gone into three directions; one which @amadeus and @bbyrd009 were chatting about, loving selflessly; Then that which @epostle1 and @BreadOfLife were complaining about what they perceive as attacks against themselves personally because certain ones such as @brakelite and others have a Biblical worldview that differs from their own regarding church and prophecy; then the third which clung more closely to the OP...insulting and derisive responses to others. Yet they are all related. We all respond in any discussion, and live life in general, according to the spirit under which we operate as individuals. The natural man is naturally selfish. Thus he will respond defensively. The natural selfish man is naturally predisposed to self preservation. Thus he will respond in a manner which preserves pride, upholds his status, retains ego. And he will go to any lengths to do it. Even to going on the attack to put others down in order to create an impression, even if it is in his own mind only, that he is winning. The selfless man however, will be more inclined to put forth his arguments in a discussion, or provide what he believes will provide for others, regardless of self interest, with other peoples best interests in mind even if it costs themselves status, pride, or reputation. Such folk are always open to discussing matters with an open mind, willing to explain their points without promoting self, allowing what they offer to stand on their own merits. Even to be willing to leave a discussion if it means no further ground can be gained if it means peoples personal boundaries are being compromised. Even truth should never be used to destroy others, but to enlighten. Wisdom is in knowing the difference.