Does the Pharisee or the Publican Describe You Most?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 18:9-14
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Sinners come to repentance when they understand in their flesh they are sinners, will always be sinners, and know they cannot meet the righteous requirement of God. We recognize we must rely solely on His mercy because in our flesh we have no righteousness, none whatsoever Romans 3:10! We must be "translated" from darkness and into the Kingdom by Him through faith in the gospel without the works of the flesh Colossians 1:13 Romans 3:20. We are redeemed by His blood, not our good intentions or works of obedience. When we have received His "free gift" of righteousness Romans 5:17-19, we are "born again" John 3:5-6 by the Spirit of God, being "quickened" with Christ even while we were dead in sins Ephesians 2:1-5. When this work of God is complete we are incapable of sin in our "new man" Ephesians. 4:24 which has been "born of God" 1 John 3:9, being made "one spirit" with Him 1 Corinthians 6:17. We have to be "made accepted" by a work of God, being made the righteousness of God in Him. Ephesians 1:6 2 Corinthians 5:21

After being saved it is our "reasonable service" that we present our bodies a "living sacrifice" (Romans 12:1-2) which in no way lends to our being saved, and can ONLY take place after we have been saved. We are justified by faith alone, to teach anything else is to teach "another gospel" which is not another. Please read Romans chapters 3-5 to recognize salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Our attempts to justify ourselves by works of the flesh nullifies grace according to Romans 4:4-5 and Romans 11:6.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You seem to be a little unbalanced ( obsessed) with this one subject.
You may wear people out if you just beat this one drum all the time.

Just saying....

Reactions: Willie T

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
The Pharisee or Publican would not be NT gospel examples of salvation for us today for neither lived under the NT gospel that requires obedience in belief, repentance, confession and water baptism (Rom 10:9,10; Luke 13:3; Acts 2:38)

Neither are an example of how an alien sinner* would be saved for both the Pharisee and Publican were Jews therefore already children of God having both been physically born into a covenant relationship with God. This does not happen under the NT gospel were one must be spiritually born again (be water baptized) to be in a NT covenant relationship with God.

[* Alien sinner being one who has never been saved, always alienated from God.]

Last edited: