FAITH OR RELIGION?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Faith or religion

"It is natural for a person to be religious but it is supernatural for a person to be a Christian."

I read that the other day and it is true. Where does the faith of a religious person come from? And where does the faith of a Christian come from?

The faith of a religious person comes from the teaching they receive and other outside influences. The faith of a Christian comes directly from God via the Holy Spirit; it is supernatural because it is not of our own making, not of our own planning, not of our own upbringing. It is supernatural because it can turn atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus etc into Spirit filled Christians.

Some people equate faith with belief? To me it is much more than that.

I have always believed in God but I haven't always had that God-given faith in the work of the cross. That only came when I eventually 'saw the light' or 'got it'. I always knew that Jesus died on the cross to atone for my sin but it wasn't until it was actually pointed out to me that I had to do something about it and I responded in my heart to that with the prayer of repentance that I actually became a Christian and my belief became faith. Absolute trust. You have to respond with your heart to make it real.

But as Christians we know the difference, or we should. Just as we know that others follow 'religions' that they hope will bring them close to their gods whilst we follow a God that brought us close to himself through the blood of Jesus.

Christianity is not really a religion it is a relationship. Some might see it as a religion and it has developed into a religion in many cases but that is what man has made it. In essence it boils down to our relationship with God which we can't have without Jesus.

Religion is man seeking a god for spiritual fulfilment. Christianity is God seeking man for a loving relationship. See the difference?

And yes they do have their different faiths where faith = belief. But unless, as an adult, you have chosen to be a born again Christian your faith/belief is in something dead and leads to death for the believer. A Christian's faith on the other hand is not in some dead doctrines but in a living God who lives within them and loves them and forgiven their sin so that they can have that close intimate relationship with him that believers in other deities don't have. All roads do not lead to Salvation.

Only Jesus gives life to the spirit, without Jesus the spirit remains dead and that is the state of all who have not been born again and do not have that real faith in him. It isn't enough to believe in him for as you probably know the devil believes as do so many churchgoers before they 'get' what the gospel is about. There has to be that vital step that leads to the supernatural re-birth of our spirits. Without that spiritual awakening there is only spiritual death. And I'm not talking about the lake of fire but of exclusion from God's presence.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Believers in dead doctrines and dead religion, will remain spiritually dead as will 'believers' in Jesus unless they 'see the light'. It is only those who truly understand and respond to the full gospel that will be spiritually re-born.

All my life I believed in Jesus but it wasn't until I was thirty five that I saw the light and came alive spiritually and had real faith.

I've been thinking some more about this word 'faith' and realise that people put their faith in all sorts of things all the time. Like when you board a plane you have faith in both the pilot and in the engineering to keep you safe.

In what do we place our faith? It is important to know. Is it in the teachings of some long-dead man or is it in the teachings of the risen Lord Jesus? Is it in some old-time religion or is it in the person of Jesus the Son of God? Is it in something dead that will result in death or something alive that will result in eternal life?

Other faiths, other religions do not lead mankind out of darkness into the light. Other faiths do not have as their head a God who shed his own blood that we might live. To be re-born as a Christian is to have the very Spirit of the God we worship living within us; it is supernatural.

Reactions: Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really see faith and religion as being opposites.

God seeks man, and man seeks God. Those are both good things.
Outward teaching people, outward fruits, outward differences, inward transformation, inward testimonies, inward faith. All complimentary and part of an idealize whole.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really see faith and religion as being opposites.

God seeks man, and man seeks God. Those are both good things.
Outward teaching people, outward fruits, outward differences, inward transformation, inward testimonies, inward faith. All complimentary and part of an idealize whole.

There is a vast difference. Religion is man seeking a god for spiritual fulfilment. Christianity is God seeking man for a loving relationship. See the difference?

Reactions: Illuminator

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a vast difference. Religion is man seeking a god for spiritual fulfilment. Christianity is God seeking man for a loving relationship. See the difference?
Should a disciple of Christ not do BOTH?

Should a disciple (aka a follower) not strive to follow Christ, and love Him? Should they not find comfort and fulfillment in that relationship?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Should a disciple of Christ not do BOTH?

Should a disciple (aka a follower) not strive to follow Christ, and love Him? Should they not find comfort and fulfillment in that relationship?

I can see you can't tell the difference. You can have faith in a religious system or you can have faith in Jesus through a close relationship. You can know about Jesus or you can know him intimately. There's the difference. And perhaps if you still can't see it you need to ask him to show you.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see you can't tell the difference. You can have faith in a religious system or you can have faith in Jesus through a close relationship. You can know about Jesus or you can know him intimately. There's the difference. And perhaps if you still can't see it you need to ask him to show you.
BOTH are needed.

It's not a versus thing.

If I (or anyone else) were to just go through outward motions, then it would be hollow works. Likewise, if I (or anyone else) were to shun all other believers and any outward fruits, then my claims of faith are really dead. If I say I know Him in my heart, but don't bother to ever study or get to know his teachings, is that really a full transformation? Should a body of believers not encourage folks to have that inward change and nurture growth in Christ?

Reactions: Illuminator

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
BOTH are needed.

It's not a versus thing.

If I (or anyone else) were to just go through outward motions, then it would be hollow works. Likewise, if I (or anyone else) were to shun all other believers and any outward fruits, then my claims of faith are really dead. If I say I know Him in my heart, but don't bother to ever study or get to know his teachings, is that really a full transformation? Should a body of believers not encourage folks to have that inward change and nurture growth in Christ?

I knew you wouldn't 'get' it Jane. So no point in continuing with a fruitless and futile discussion. I wish you well.

Anybody else that doesn't 'get' it?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew you wouldn't 'get' it Jane. So no point in continuing with a fruitless and futile discussion. I wish you well.

Anybody else that doesn't 'get' it?
So you're just going to skip addressing any of my questions/concerns here with "I knew you wouldn't 'get' it"?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you're just going to skip addressing any of my questions/concerns here with "I knew you wouldn't 'get' it"?
Jane, it's all there in my original post. I know what you are like, I've been in discussion with you before dear girl and we just go round in circles. It feels as though you deliberately misunderstand. So not this time thank you. But perhaps it's something you might considering praying for clarity about if you really want to know. If not, well that's okay too. Blessings in Jesus.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jane, it's all there in my original post. I know what you are like, I've been in discussion with you before dear girl and we just go round in circles. It feels as though you deliberately misunderstand. So not this time thank you. But perhaps it's something you might considering praying for clarity about if you really want to know. If not, well that's okay too. Blessings in Jesus.
Honestly this comes across as being blown off, but ok.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can know about Jesus or you can know him intimately

Hello Pearl,

To know Jesus intimately, that is, to be known by Him, is to receive Him in the Eucharist.

"For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."

This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Reactions: Taodeching

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would offer. Religion is simply what a person believes. Atheism is a religion that holds that there is no God. God calls the religion of those. . . fools. No God in ones heart

One such religion is found under a law of the fathers the oral traditions or I heard it through the grape vine.it was of both the Pharisees or Pharisee with Sadducees . Two group or sects as a hierarchy of men lording it over the beliefs or faith of those non venerable . The Pharisees with Sadducees put aside their religious differences to try and make all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura) without effect .They called the word of God a heresy in that way.(Acts 24) Making the law of our Holy Father as it is written without effect by giving over the authority to the oral traditions of men .

Christians can act foolish like those in Galatian 3 .But unlike the Pharisees called fools. The word of God that does work in beleivers has the power to call them to repentance so that we can return to our first love .The hearing of His voice at it works in us.

Acts 26:5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

The religion referred to as pure has its mystery revealed using metaphors hid from the understanding of those who have another authority other than all things written in the law and the prophets. It is to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction. This is another way of saying bringing the gospel to the fatherless. This is in reference to our Holy Father and widows those not espoused to the lamb, not married or the spouse passes .In that way we were all orphans as widows with no husband .

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The phrase widows and fatherless seems to be used that way throughout the Bible. We are informed to compare the spiritual unseen understanding hid from the lost to the same .faith to faith .

Job 22:9 Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.

Psalm 68:5 A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation.

Reactions: Wynona

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion is man's attempt to reach God
Christianity is God's attempt to reach man

Religion uses rituals, traditions, practices and other rote things to try and be good enough and devoted enough for God

Christianity is a relationship between you and God and the force that bridges the gap between the natural and supernatural is The faith given to us by God, accessible because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion is man's attempt to reach God
Christianity is God's attempt to reach man

Religion uses rituals, traditions, practices and other rote things to try and be good enough and devoted enough for God

Christianity is a relationship between you and God and the force that bridges the gap between the natural and supernatural is The faith given to us by God, accessible because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ
And if a Christian strives to follow God's commandments because they love Him (John 14:15)....?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And if a Christian strives to follow God's commandments because they love Him (John 14:15)....?
We need the Holy Spirit to be able to keep the commandments without striving. That's relationship.

Reactions: Gary Urban

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need the Holy Spirit to be able to keep the commandments without striving. That's relationship.
Obviously a Christian is accompanied by the Holy Spirit and things are done by His power.

However, even for Christians temptation is real and so often it would be easy to cave in. At that moment, it can look some much easier to just let something go, rather than stand up and do the Christian thing. Yes, that takes effort. Christianity is not a lazy path, but one where we get up and follow Him.

Reactions: Gary Urban

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faith or religion?

I was in religion for a time, Then with CHRIST as my Saviour,
HIS Blood Cleansing
me from ALL sin, I was in religious tradition, for a small
period, then When God Led me to Right Division (2 Timothy 2 : 15 KJB!)...

THEN,
I LEFT ALL religions AND ALL traditions, behind (Philippians 3 : 13 KJB!)!

NO regrets!!

Last edited:

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that follows is predicated first on God's love for us. Love we did not/ do not HAVE to work for, but that we CHOOSE to work for.
Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the word, spirituality. It's inclusive of the meaning of faith and it also encompasses the relationship the individual Christian, now returned and moving past the barrier between us and Abba father, has in the embrace of the holy spirit. :)

"Religion" , for me sounds clinical, rather than personal. Like a subject heading instead of a consciousness.

Yipe-O fix, to clinical.

Last edited: