Filling Our Minds with Noise?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grump

Feb 13, 2013
US
Many of my coworkers have a habit of blasting some none-too-wholesome music on the work-place stereo (we're a pizza-delivery place, nothing fancy or high-class). While I do what I can to ignore the music that focuses on robbing, killing, hating parents, false senses of love, and other such nonsenses, (and I play my own wholesome music when I can) I can't help but wonder: Just how much is our mind polluted not just by what we do but also by what we hear?

I understand we need to purify ourselves and think only upon what is good, honorable, holy, etc. Is this objective jeopardized when we have background noise that runs entirely against-Scriptural concepts? From people that are wiser and (most likely) older than me, do you guys see that somebody's mind is changed when they are hearing something that they are not necessarily listening to?

I know this isn't so much a Scriptural issue, but more of a "practicality" one. How do you counterbalance the worldly noise that is shoved in your faces (or ears)?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
From people that are wiser and (most likely) older than me, do you guys see that somebody's mind is changed when they are hearing something that they are not necessarily listening to?
Hey there!
I have a feeling, this is why your post has not been answered yet ;) Lol!
Just letting you know that you are definitely not the youngest member here. I guess the youngest regular is around 16 and the Admin/owner of this forum has just turned a big "25" the rest of our members are within the range of mid 30s and beyond...??

As for your question...yep it does happen but I usually just concentrate on my job and sing in my head ^_^

Bless ya!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I can handle all kinds of noise anywhere ...... but if it is the wrong kind of music I simply cant stand it ..... it is like something evil trying to go straight into my ears that I cannot ignore.

I ran my own business for 30 years (a noisy auto body collision & paint shop) ...... we always had a radio of some sort playing in the background with middle of the road music from the 60's 70's & 80's ..... no problem whatsoever.

But if one of my younger employees switched the station to some head-banger music .... or rap nonsense ..... I simply could not stand it ..... I had to turn it off or leave the room. No kidding

I even used to apologize to my employees and told them I was puzzled about my reaction ..... I still am to this day

There is a lot of music I do not care for ..... but I just ignore it and carry on ...... but certain types of punk music I SIMPLY CANNOT BE IN THE SAME ROOM.

I often wonder if it is a spiritual thing or something .... I have no rational explanation.

I hope you can handle your workplace music Grump .... I know I certainly could not .....

Another bizarre aspect of my situation is that I absolutely cannot understand a single word of that kind of music (I have tried) ...... yet i cannot be around it ..... strange indeed !!!!!

Anyone else like me ??

country_lad

Jan 27, 2008
Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:
I can handle all kinds of noise anywhere ...... but if it is the wrong kind of music I simply cant stand it ..... it is like something evil trying to go straight into my ears that I cannot ignore.

I ran my own business for 30 years (a noisy auto body collision & paint shop) ...... we always had a radio of some sort playing in the background with middle of the road music from the 60's 70's & 80's ..... no problem whatsoever.

But if one of my younger employees switched the station to some head-banger music .... or rap nonsense ..... I simply could not stand it ..... I had to turn it off or leave the room. No kidding

I even used to apologize to my employees and told them I was puzzled about my reaction ..... I still am to this day

There is a lot of music I do not care for ..... but I just ignore it and carry on ...... but certain types of punk music I SIMPLY CANNOT BE IN THE SAME ROOM.

I often wonder if it is a spiritual thing or something .... I have no rational explanation.

I hope you can handle your workplace music Grump .... I know I certainly could not .....

Another bizarre aspect of my situation is that I absolutely cannot understand a single word of that kind of music (I have tried) ...... yet i cannot be around it ..... strange indeed !!!!!

Anyone else like me ??
Yep, I would go crazy... likely walk out and hit the job bank. I might be able to tuff it out if I am listening to music I don't much like... jazz for one example, but I would refuse to listen to that rap garbage or anything that basically goes against everything the bible teaches. That kind of music does not belong in a work environment.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is hard to work around unbelievers but we can let the Light shine in the darkness

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's difficult to know where the cut-off mark is in something like this.

What kind of policy does your work place have? (This would be a start.) IE: Would customers hear this music? Maybe it's a way to at least get it cut down or back to help reach a compromise if you quietly appeal to workplace authority.

The other option is to deal with it; try and focus on something else. The Bible does say that we are in the world but yet not of the world, so that means our ideals and values are going to clash. The responsibility is on us, even though they're listening to the music. Could you listen to an iPod or find some way to focus on something else?

Aside from all of this, look for opportunities to talk to the people listening to the music and witness to them. I don't mean do it uncomfortably, but look for ways to work in conversation about some of the topics covered in the music in a non-obvious way and perhaps they may see the error of their ways or at least feel ashamed to listen in public. I think a lot of the stuff that passes as music these days (and there is good metal and good rap) is just glorified trash that people listen to because of catchy beats and pop culture.

I would definitely start whatever you do with prayer on the matter. Both how to handle it and how, ultimately, God can be glorified in your handling of the matter.

Brothertom

All for Jesus no matter the cost.
May 1, 2012
Bottom of Illinois
"I understand we need to purify ourselves and think only upon what is good, honorable, holy, etc. Is this objective jeopardized when we have background noise that runs entirely against-Scriptural concepts? From people that are wiser and (most likely) older than me, do you guys see that somebody's mind is changed when they are hearing something that they are not necessarily listening to?

I know this isn't so much a Scriptural issue, but more of a "practicality" one. How do you counterbalance the worldly noise that is shoved in your faces (or ears)?"...Grumpy

I think that some of it seeps in you, but doesn't stay. Jesus "washes our feet", daily, from the dust of the World we pick up in our journies in the soil. We are in the world, but not of it. Personally, I know the battle when I begin to grieve in my spirit hearing this satanic garbage...& put on my helmet...& begin to pray silently.

"To him who overcomes!...[ Jesus said; ] Will I give the Crown of Life!"...God sets us in His place, Sovergnly, to overcome & be a witness. We will never escape it; it is our walk on Earth.

I just returned from Eritrea, Africa, where 3000 Christians are being held in underground prisons & storage containers...& torture....& yet remain faithful..[ some have starved & died there..]. Imagine being in their shoes. It could be worse than evil, lust filled music. [ A tsunami of nasty lust....?]

Everyday, when I leave my house, I ask the Lord for mercy, & to count me HIS, covered by the blood of Jesus...& to protect me...for I know that the battle is near, & Satan's desire is to stumble me, & eat me. He does...but not without my part...enduring the attacks, & standing, no matter what.

Paul was suffering beyond what he thought was his limit...& sought the Lord....& the Lord knew him well enough to talk to him, just like a good Daddy. "My grace is sufficient." The Lord's grace is sufficient, & He will make a way to overcome. For some of us...even unto death.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
This is an interesting topic ....... now that I think back to my pre-christian days I absolutely hated any christian music or TV.

We only had 4-5 TV stations in the 1970's and early 1980's and on Sunday mostly all the programming was religious and I couldn't stand it ..... if it took a split second to change the Chanel it was still too long for me

But the instant I became a christian in 1986 I loved it and would watch them all day long.

To have such an instant change indicates a spiritual component is involved as well.

At least it seemed that way to me.