For The 9999th Time, OSAS (Albeit Testimony Time)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I first came to Christ 43 years ago my understanding of scripture and the process of salvation could have been written in bold capital letters on the back of a napkin and left enough space for the Declaration of Independence.
I knew nothing of the concept of OSAS until Christian forums became a thing 20 years later. It was only then that I asked myself questions regarding the security of my salvation. How did I know I was saved? was a question better expressed as how do I know God loves me? Over those 20 years I had experienced enough of God's care to convince me He loved me and cared for even the little things. The more I learned of scripture, the more I realised what was written was being played out in my life. I was born again years before I understood the theory. I was redeemed years before I understood the atonement. But when people started debating something I wasn't theologically familiar with, I resorted to experience and testimony. I asked myself, how was I saved? Thinking upon that gave me the answer I needed to the OSAS question.
I was saved, converted, when I came to a point in my life (prompted by a friend and convicted by the holy Spirit ) when I decided to let God make my life something He would approve of. It's more than that now: it's now a life I would want Him to declare as being very good. Like His Son's. Am I saved? Not yet. But I am in His hands. I have been justified. I am being sanctified. I will be glorified. Then, I will be saved. In the meantime, Jesus is not speaking to me in mysteries any more. The time has come that I now know not just Jesus' love, but the Father's love.
KJV John 16
25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Jesus has gone before Me and I know now I am accepted in Him by the Father. Always. I am secure in that love. Can I choose to reject that and return to where I once was without Him and without hope in this world? Sure. Love doesn't remove free will, in fact love demands it. It cannot exist without it. And such is the relationship between Father and me. I trust Him to sustain me. I can't..I dare not trust in myself... But in Him I live and move and have my being.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wonderful post.

From Day #1, I just walked with Him. I came out of very dark surroundings when I got born again, playing dark and in some cases outright Satanic heavy metal. So for me the contrast when I came to Christ was obvious, and I never looked back. Sure I had my battles with ingrained sin, but with every passing year I kept giving myself more and more to Him. My sins never seemed to matter in this context. I knew they would have to all be dealt with eventually, but I always just kept looking forward because I knew He was continuing to draw me ever closer to Himself.

But the idea that I was somehow eternally saved seemed... kinda stupid to me, to tell you the truth. I hate to put it insultingly, but it made utterly no sense to me. I loved God with all my heart, but temptation was still crouching at the door, and I could have gone right back into the Satanic world I came from at any time if I wanted to. And lust was still a problem, and would be for many years to come. So for me it was coming into relationship with a God I had NO intentions of departing from because I had entered from death into life. But my freewill was still my own.

God bless, and I like this thread. I think it is when you get into actual testimonials that OSAS theology starts breaking down, the reason being that you cannot avoid freewill in discussing the realities of people's lives.
I can totally relate to your testimony HIH :) imo there’s not a lot of contemporary music which isn’t satanic, and lustful temptation is everywhere. Praise The Lord you and I were delivered :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
understand why the pimps and hoes is beatin you in
When I first came to Christ 43 years ago my understanding of scripture and the process of salvation could have been written in bold capital letters on the back of a napkin and left enough space for the Declaration of Independence.
I knew nothing of the concept of OSAS until Christian forums became a thing 20 years later. It was only then that I asked myself questions regarding the security of my salvation. How did I know I was saved? was a question better expressed as how do I know God loves me? Over those 20 years I had experienced enough of God's care to convince me He loved me and cared for even the little things. The more I learned of scripture, the more I realised what was written was being played out in my life. I was born again years before I understood the theory. I was redeemed years before I understood the atonement. But when people started debating something I wasn't theologically familiar with, I resorted to experience and testimony. I asked myself, how was I saved? Thinking upon that gave me the answer I needed to the OSAS question.
"what does 'saved' even mean?" might be another interesting avenue wadr
Jesus is not speaking to me in mysteries any more.
hmm
Jesus has gone before Me and I know now I am accepted in Him by the Father. Always.
ah ok then
maybe im jealous! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can totally relate to your testimony HIH :) imo there’s not a lot of contemporary music which isn’t satanic, and lustful temptation is everywhere. Praise The Lord you and I were delivered :)

Yes it's nice to be delivered. But I still listen to contemporary music, LoL.
If I ever had to be delivered from contemporary music I think I'd die. :p

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was saved, converted, when I came to a point in my life (prompted by a friend and convicted by the holy Spirit ) when I decided to let God make my life something He would approve of. It's more than that now: it's now a life I would want Him to declare as being very good. Like His Son's. Am I saved? Not yet. But I am in His hands. I have been justified. I am being sanctified. I will be glorified. Then, I will be saved. In the meantime, Jesus is not speaking to me in mysteries any more. The time has come that I now know not just Jesus' love, but the Father's love.
KJV John 16
25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Jesus has gone before Me and I know now I am accepted in Him by the Father. Always. I am secure in that love. Can I choose to reject that and return to where I once was without Him and without hope in this world? Sure. Love doesn't remove free will, in fact love demands it. It cannot exist without it. And such is the relationship between Father and me. I trust Him to sustain me. I can't..I dare not trust in myself... But in Him I live and move and have my being.
Hello @Backlit,

It has been good to read your testimony: thank you for sharing it with us. We are indeed accepted in the Beloved, and it is on that very ground that I cannot share your thoughts regarding the possibility of the loss of salvation. Our salvation will be realised when we are resurrected to life eternal, yes: but we were sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise the moment we believed. So, it is sure: being anchored on the promises of God, in Christ Jesus.

With love in Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Reactions: APAK

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listen to lyrics more now & Delete anything dodgy. Always loved music though :)

I listen to lyrics more now myself. This whole house listens to lyrics more, LoL.

Even my dogs come in the room and listen to them with me, with their paws up on my lap... staring at me and wagging a lot. Especially if I sing to them.

But yes, not much for the outright sinful stuff. There are certain genres I won't really even touch. But then, maybe that's just my musical tastes too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 Chr. 34:19

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised in the Southern Baptist Convention tradition. OSAS was emphasized greatly. My father recently told me that he likes to listen to feel-good sermons nowadays (à la Joel Osteen) because when he was young he heard so many sermons that seemed calculated to make him doubt his own salvation. I never got that impression when I was a youth, but later on, when I got very serious about consecration to God, the nagging sense I developed was that my salvation depended upon my sincerity at some earlier time and I worried about the spaces of time between my seemingly inevitable rededications. Finally, I got so tired of this that I began to search for a new model of assurance. It took over 20 years for me to find it and it is nothing like what I believed previously. I came to look upon eternal security as grievously hollow and impractical. I could never discern the fine line between mere backsliding and the realization that I had never been "saved" to begin with. And I have come to believe that my salvation is much more for Jesus's sake than my own. I parted ways with SBC orthodoxy in 1990. As hard as it may be for some to believe, this is more of a testimony than a provocation to debate. But friendly discussion about the topic of testimony of assurance is encouraged. And I myself have more to say about this.

What undergirds your assurance of redemption?
My "eternal security" rests solely on my obeying Acts 2:38.

I have repented, been baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins and have recieved the baptism of the Holy Ghost as required for 1st century believers.

This will be my "defense" in the court of heaven, which is the most solid defense one can make for their sinful selves.

I will not trust some preacher that says I am saved without Acts 2:38, because he is a lousy lawyer indeed.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have repented, been baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins and have recieved the baptism of the Holy Ghost as required for 1st century believers.

This will be my "defense" in the court of heaven, which is the most solid defense one can make for their sinful selves.

I will not trust some preacher that says I am saved without Acts 2:38, because he is a lousy lawyer indeed.

However, if you do not believe that Jesus was the great I AM when He said it in John 8:24 and in John 8:58, there is a possibility that you might die in your sins.

That Jesus was conceived of the Holy Ghost is a fact of holy scripture (see Matthew 1:18-20, Luke 1:35). The Holy Ghost became one with the egg in the womb of the virgin Mary to form a zygote that, fully grown, would be the Son of God. 100% Man and 100% God. Son of God and Son of man.

From the moment of conception.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, if you do not believe that Jesus was the great I AM when He said it in John 8:24 and in John 8:58, there is a possibility that you might die in your sins.

That Jesus was conceived of the Holy Ghost is a fact of holy scripture (see Matthew 1:18-20, Luke 1:35). The Holy Ghost became one with the egg in the womb of the virgin Mary to form a zygote that, fully grown, would be the Son of God. 100% Man and 100% God. Son of God and Son of man.

From the moment of conception.
He was 100% man, but not even 1% God.

God was never a molecular cell in the uterus, nor an embryo, nor a fetus, nor a newborn baby, nor a child, nor an adolescent, nor a man.

God is not a man.

God is a Spirit.

Ask Jesus in John 4:24 if you don't believe me.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like you have the wrong screen name. Liar would fit better.
So you think God is human?

Jesus thought God is human here?...

24 God is a Spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you for your participation.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....Only if we push the Law as the source of salvation.