• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Modern Judaism didn't exist until after the destruction of the third temple, (Herod's temple.) Modern Judaism is an invention of the rabbinical Pharisees.
King David was of the tribe of Judah, and when Israel rebelled against his grandson, Rehoboam, the remnant of his kingdom became the kingdom of Judah which only included 2 tribes and part of the Levitical priesthood. David's descendants became known as Jews, but David participated in the temple sacrificial system described in the books of Exodus and Leviticus. This ancient form of Judaism doesn't exist without a temple or a tabernacle in God's chosen city of Jerusalem.

In speaking about Moses himself (or David), I’m obviously not talking about modern Judaism. I’m talking about ancient Judaism; Judaism in the form of the time.

Do you self-identify as trinitarian?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

My claim is that Moses isn’t a trinitarian and neither is Jesus. The Trinity is not their God.

Trinity can get off kilter.
(God IS Spirit...........or God IS a Trinity.......or God IS a Human....)

People say things, and then you can guess what they mean....

God has thoughts, ideas, intents, speech, power, blah, blah blah..........
Trying to make God conform to which ever word we choose, is an ongoing conundrum among men.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus has a theology. So do you. Your theology doesn’t match his; neither does it match with the theology of historical orthodox trinitarianism.

He had a God. He has a God. He will always have a God.

I agree with your last statement...but probably not in your same context....

Meaning.....I would say..............God IS His own God.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Trinity can get off kilter.
(God IS Spirit...........or God IS a Trinity.......or God IS a Human....)

People say things, and then you can guess what they mean....

God has thoughts, ideas, intents, speech, power, blah, blah blah..........
Trying to make God conform to which ever word we choose, is an ongoing conundrum among men.

Why not just go with what Jesus says about who his God and our God is?

If Jesus says the Trinity is his God and our God then the Trinity is the one God.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I agree with your last statement...but probably not in your same context....

Meaning.....I would say..............God IS His own God.

I would say that God himself doesn’t have a God. He is God.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Modern Judaism didn't exist until after the destruction of the third temple, (Herod's temple.) Modern Judaism is an invention of the rabbinical Pharisees.

What would you say to a trinitarian who believes and advocates that Rabbinical Judaism teaches the Trinity? (See the thread titled Did Christians “invent” the Trinity?-2)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not just go with what Jesus says about who his God and our God is?

If Jesus says the Trinity is his God and our God then the Trinity is the one God.

What I wrote was examples, not my belief.
God is who He is.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What I wrote was examples, not my belief.
God is who He is.

Who is God? (Once an answer is provided, compare it with what Jesus himself says about who his God is.)

What does it matter?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In speaking about Moses himself (or David), I’m obviously not talking about modern Judaism. I’m talking about ancient Judaism; Judaism in the form of the time.

Do you self-identify as trinitarian?
No, I self identify as a born again Christian, but my understanding of the Trinity was derived from the theory of Special relativity, something not even possible before the 20th century, but is in complete alignment with the written word of God.
To be clear, I believe in One immortal invisible God who has chosen to interact with His creation in three persons, Himself, His holy Spirit, and the person of His Son, the living tabernacle of His Spirit. I'm not sure that I agree with the immutability of those 3 persons, but am in full agreement with the fact that they are One God.
It seems that much of the argument about the Trinity comes from core Masonic beliefs rather than core Christian belief, and whether or not the Holy Spirit and the preincarnate Christ existed with the Father before creation, but in my opinion that's entirely irrelevant in light of the fact that they are all fully One God and only divided in their roles, in their Interaction with creation. (I have no problem with One God expressing Himself as three persons in His creation, but Genesis 1:1 only mentions God as Elohim, a plural form, without describing Elohim as multiple persons, and I wasn't there to identify those persons. I can only assume that the remainder of scripture identifies them as Father, Holy Spirit, and Son, because our resurrected Lord commanded us to be baptized in the name of all three. Yet even Matthew 28:19 uses the singular form "name" for all three, implying a single identity.)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that God himself doesn’t have a God. He is God.

And so also a President IS President, yet also is his own President.
And why I say that, is parallel to why I say God is His own God.

A President is a representative of an office, and that representative is limited by the limits placed on the office itself.

God has Limits as well, that He can not over step.
God happens to be the very one who established the Limits,
Yet the Limits exist.

For example...God IS all powerful and virtually can do anything, except that He CAN NOT do all things, even though His Power is capable....He is not willing and set His own limits that He can NOT supersede.

Examples of Gods Limits;
He can not Lie.
He can not Change.
He can not be Divided.
He can not Sleep.
Etc.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken God in Three Persons is indeed so profoundly present in Scripture.

I believe the WHOLE of God is revealed in Scripture.
Person, Person, Person in trying to image, or put into perspective who God is, IMO, is too Terrestrial.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you say to a trinitarian who believes and advocates that Rabbinical Judaism teaches the Trinity? (See the thread titled Did Christians “invent” the Trinity?-2)
I've never heard such a claim because rabbinical Judaism is descended from the Pharisees who rejected Christ.

I'm not a Jewish theologian and can't speak at length to what they believe, but the RCC makes much of Jewish doctrine. The Jerusalem Bible, approved by the RCC, does not attribute the writing of the Pentateuch to Moses, but to different scholarly traditions, eg. "Elohists," "Yahwists," etc., that supposedly wrote during different time periods.

I had one book written by a Jewish Scholar who made the claim that the Jews invented monotheism, in the books introduction. I didn't bother reading past the introduction as it seemed that the author was a "fool."

One thing I am confident of regarding Jewish theology is that the Pharisees believed in a resurrection while the Sadducees didn't, and that they awaited the return of Elijah before the coming of the Messiah to sit upon the throne of David. Modern synagogues still keep an ornate and unoccupied chair in an isolated spot called Elijah's chair, symbolic of his expected return. However, there is nothing specifically in the belief of modern Judaism (to my limited knowledge) that anticipates "the messiah" to be the Son of God and equal to God.

At least one contemporary Jewish sect believed that their rabbi was the Messiah and expected him to rise from the grave when he died, but they did not consider him to be more than a man with the anointing of God upon him.

I can't speak to what the 1st century Jews believed beyond what scripture and the writings of Josephus say, but its clear that even then their beliefs were not uniform.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't speak to what the 1st century Jews believed beyond what scripture and the writings of Josephus say, but its clear that even then their beliefs were not uniform.

1st century Jews belief...is like wondering what 1,000 people believe after hearing a few quips on a new topic.

Jesus was definitely something new.
Jesus was definitely not the image or manner of what any Jew was expecting.
And a common ordinary Jews teaching? A couple of sermons here and there?
Seems more like a gossip buzz of who is that guy, what’s he talking about....nothing like today.
Definitely I don’t think their beliefs were uniform...they were still being introduced to knowledge, let alone having decided to believe the new knowledge.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus himself has a God. His God is only one person. Jesus isn’t a trinitarian. Jesus is a non-trinitarian, and his God is the same God who is Moses’ God.

Let’s ask @Taken’s excellent question: What does it matter?
Matthias,

This is the point of confusion: That Jesus himself has a God.

However, to take such a position is to forget just what it is that God has done. In other words, it is written, that "God spoke" and also that Jesus is the Word. To which I submit that God in the case of Christ was, as is even common with ourselves being made in the image of God...That Christ is God being beside Himself.

Which is not to say that "beside" means there are two, one that is God and one that is not--but rather, that just as it is not so hard to imagine our own selves being beside ourselves for a time--God is in fact beside Himself for "a time, times, and half a time."

But many, though they can imagine it with themselves, cannot imagine it with God...to their own loss of understanding--for we were created in His image, which many have not fully perceived.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I were to have told you that I’m a trinitarian, would you have believed me? Surely not. You would test my spirit and quickly, easily, discern that I’m not. I would never have told you I am a trinitarian. I once was, but now I’m not.

The title of the thread would lead most of us to believe that the author is himself a trinitarian. Test the spirit.

That done, what does it matter?

You are hung on a word.
You have to decide for yourself what the trinity means...AND...
Who is Lord
Who is God
Who is Almighty

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You are hung on a word.
You have to decide for yourself what the trinity means...AND...
Who is Lord
Who is God
Who is Almighty

The Trinity can mean anything you want it to mean today … but there was a time in Church history when that wasn’t the case. There was a time when it mattered. There was a time when it was a matter of life and death if you did or you didn’t.

The point to my readers - why believe something that no longer matters even to most trinitarians?

Especially in light of what Jesus himself says concerning who his God and the God of his followers is, which has nothing to do with the Trinity.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Matthias,

This is the point of confusion: That Jesus himself has a God.

However, to take such a position is to forget just what it is that God has done. In other words, it is written, that "God spoke" and also that Jesus is the Word. To which I submit that God in the case of Christ was, as is even common with ourselves being made in the image of God...That Christ is God being beside Himself.

Which is not to say that "beside" means there are two, one that is God and one that is not--but rather, that just as it is not so hard to imagine our own selves being beside ourselves for a time--God is in fact beside Himself for "a time, times, and half a time."

But many, though they can imagine it with themselves, cannot imagine it with God...to their own loss of understanding--for we were created in His image, which many have not fully perceived.

There’s no confusion about it in scripture. Jesus says he has a God. He does, and his God isn’t the Trinity.

Is there a God besides his God? No.

Does it matter to trinitarians? No.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Trinity can mean anything you want it to mean today … but there was a time in Church history when that wasn’t the case. There was a time when it mattered. There was a time when it was a matter of life and death if you did or you didn’t.

The point to my readers - why believe something that no longer matters even to most trinitarians?

Especially in light of what Jesus himself says concerning who his God and the God of his followers is, which has nothing to do with the Trinity.

Lord...is He
God...is He
Almighty...is He

Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God Almighty
which was, and is, and is to come.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1st century Jews belief...is like wondering what 1,000 people believe after hearing a few quips on a new topic.

Jesus was definitely something new.
Jesus was definitely not the image or manner of what any Jew was expecting.
And a common ordinary Jews teaching? A couple of sermons here and there?
Seems more like a gossip buzz of who is that guy, what’s he talking about....nothing like today.
Definitely I don’t think their beliefs were uniform...they were still being introduced to knowledge, let alone having decided to believe the new knowledge.

Jesus himself is a 1st century Jew. I would expect the belief of his followers, in all centuries, to be consist with his.

They aren’t. What does it matter? A time is coming when he will tell us. Again.

“I never knew you.”

Status
Not open for further replies.