Good Works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"Man by his own will performs works which are worthy of eternal life; but, as Augustine says for this it is necessary that the will of man should be prepared by grace"
- Aquinas

"It is certain that eternal life is given as a reward for good works; but those works for which it is granted belong to the grace of God."
- Augustine

What doth it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but have not works? can that faith save him?
Jas 2:14

Of what eternal profit is there in the works of the hand of man?
Can we by righteous grace add a single good thing to the Kingdom of God?
Can we benefit ourselves or others by our accomplishments on earth?

What of the grace of God? Does it provide the ability for mere mortals to advance God's agenda?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010

A couple quick verses (I base my opinions on more than these but just a couple quick ones).
Of what eternal profit is there in the works of the hand of man?
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where[sup](AH)[/sup] moth and rust[sup][e][/sup] destroy and where thieves[sup](AI)[/sup]break in and steal, [sup]20[/sup][sup](AJ)[/sup] but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal."
I think there are more blessings for people who do more good works than others. HOWEVER... Everyone in Christ will receive eternal life in heaven and be happy. There won't be a sense of jealousy about this, either.

Can we by righteous grace add a single good thing to the Kingdom of God?
By our own will and exertion? No.

For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.[sup][a][/sup]
[sup] [/sup]
[sup]So anything good comes from faith. Where does faith come from?[/sup]
[sup] [/sup]
[sup]Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith,[sup](A)[/sup] who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising[sup](B)[/sup] the shame, and[sup](C)[/sup] is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.[/sup]
[sup] [/sup]
[sup]No good happens on our own.[/sup]
[sup] [/sup]
[sup]As for the other two questions they are just repeats of what I've said here, I feel.[/sup]

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
We obtain salvation purely by faith of course, not by works.

Later (in the afterlife) rewards are handed out for good works done while in the flesh.

Those who have done lots (of good works) will be well rewarded , others will get few rewards.

I have often pondered the question .... "what exactly constitutes good works anyway"

There is also a judgment on the other side (for the unsaved.)

Depending on how "evil" the person was in the flesh, depends on the measure of punishment they receive.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Those who have done lots (of good works) will be well rewarded , others will get few rewards.

Yes, that's how I was trying to put it. All get the ultimate reward and nobody is jealous about other rewards. Makes no sense to my jealous human mind but somehow it'll work out...

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Yes, that's how I was trying to put it. All get the ultimate reward and nobody is jealous about other rewards. Makes no sense to my jealous human mind but somehow it'll work out...

This is an interesting subject. I have lived a fairly decent life but when I feed the poor it really only amounts to dropping a few dollars into the Salvation Army kettle. I do not feel I qualify for a reward. I feel the guy down on skid row cooking soup for the poor should get the reward.

Then I see a huge christian group on TV raise 10 million dollars for the poor in Africa , but after expenses only 3 million ends up as actual soup in a bowl for the hungry in Africa. Often the one cooking and handing out the soup in Africa does it at little or no pay. Who should get the rewards ? The fundraisers , the everyday people who sent in a few dollars to total 10 million , or the person cooking over an open fire in the third world.

Or a filthy rich Christian businessman who does a minimum of good works until he decides to donate most of his money to a bible college at the end of his life. Should he get a greater reward because his donation enables thousands of young christians to attend college to do good works ?

My head hurts (smile)

Truth is , when I look at my life in Glorious Christianity , I find very few things that I would consider worthy of being rewarded for. I confess to having a pang of jealousy toward those who have done much more than I have.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
I feel the guy down on skid row cooking soup for the poor should get the reward.

I confess to having a pang of jealousy toward those who have done much more than I have.
As do I... God'll judge the heart motive I'd assume... Who did it the most out of love. I'd assume the people that gave the ten millions will be rewarded. Maybe not as the person that is actually dealing out the soup, he might get even more rewards.
The only dangerous thing here is doing good works because of the rewards, getting more of them. That becomes self-centered and isn't what Christ was about.

I've been really convicted of this myself- I'm not living in Christ's shadow like I should be.
It's also to be noted wealth wasn't frowned upon- just the love of it. Not everyone is called to go to a third world country and deal out soup. (You were on the same page as I on the Great Commission).

However we are all to live with Christ as our example and I don't do that near as well as I should. And I think once I am doing that- being able to love others without strings is something that comes more naturally.