help in understanding being convicted

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tifton1080

Oct 2, 2013
I need some input please. Over the last several months, I have been convicted of little things that I say or do, and if I do not do it properly, I am convicted in my heart until I do it the right way. Little things like having to go back and apologize to co-workers for something I may have said to offend them, even if I didn't offend them (in their opinion); having to go back and tell something that I did before I was saved and so forth. This has been happening quite frequently and I honestly don't know what to make of it. I know that Jesus forgave my sins. When this happens, I have to tell the person Jesus told me to apologize for lying to you (even if it was just not giving them the correct information, or reading something wrong), and in other instances it is like being convicted for talking to certain people (non-Christians), and so forth. Recently, I had to go to the local Sheriff and tell him that I took something from the examining room when I was in the hospital (20 years ago), tell him what I did and to say I am sorry. I had to stand before my congregation at Church and say I am sorry to someone, I just don't know who! It seems like everything that I do, no matter how small, even if it didn't offend, or hurt anyone, I am afraid now to really talk to anyone because I might be convicted for saying anything at all! Has anyone else had this happen to them? I appreciate your comments.

Tifton1080

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi tifton, Welcome to CyB! :)

Yes I have had this happen to me, where I have needed to go to someone and ask for forgiveness on various things that the Holy Spirit has revealed and pressed upon my heart. This pressing does not seem to let up until I have done something about it. The outcome has always brought a sense of peace in mind and heart. Some times it is necessary to go that extra mile as the Spirit leads These things are conscious issues that the Lord will have us to deal with because it may be a hindrance in our walk with him and it also reveals that we are on the path of sanctification...

I had to stand before my congregation at Church and say I am sorry to someone, I just don't know who!
I find this to be unusual...perhaps that this was a test of faith? - I am unsure :unsure:

I hope this helps, bless you!

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Sounds like OCD (obsessive compulsion disorder)? :) You seem to be holding yourself accountable for things others don't even remember, took offence of, or even care about? Your going to sin everyday, so having a conviction or compulsion to be habitually apologetic can begin to annoy those around you. Of course, if you inadvertently hurt or do wrong against someone else, apologize, but you don't need another persons forgiveness to be right with God, you just need to repent of your transgressions and ask God for forgiveness. Only confess your sins to God (Psalm 51:4).

The only place we are told to confess to someone else is in the context of church elders praying on behalf of the sick (James 5:16). Note that the KJV says; "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed". It says."faults" not "sins". The word 'faults' is not the same as sins in Matthew 5:23 -24 or Luke 17:4. To me, this means our failures and offenses in relation to one another. Public prayers are always relayed in general terms (forgive us our trespasses), you don't specifically list your sins, that's a personal matter between you and God. You can actually hurt others by bringing up all that stuff, and a priest or your church cannot absolve you of sin, Jesus is our intercessor (1 Timothy 2:5). Its sounds like your having trouble forgiving yourself, or your prioritizing your self-worth on what others think? If someone is angry with you, try to reconcile your differences, but your not obligated to gain their forgiveness. If its God's laws that we transgress against, then its God's mercy we should seek. JMO

Reactions: aspen