How do you know your saved??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every true Christian has the Holy Spirit, but knowing about Jesus even the demons know, and wanting Him to save you from hell is wishful thinking if you remain a slave to sin. When we truly repent, THAT is when Jesus gives us His Spirit and we are no longer in the flesh but in the Spirit. The Spirit doesn't sin, nor leads us to sin, but always provides a way of escape, and the pure love we have for God causes us to hate sin. It no longer has any power over us. We are free indeed.
Perhaps we see sin differently. The Word says that if we fail to do something we should it's sin. If I fail to pray for my kids for a few hours, even when I know they have something difficult to go through, because I'm focused on my agenda, that may be a worse sin then something more obvious, like swearing or becoming angry with some one.
I suspect most of our worse sins are not even the ones we usually recognize.

Reactions: marks

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps we see sin differently. The Word says that if we fail to do something we should it's sin. If I fail to pray for my kids for a few hours, even when I know they have something difficult to go through, because I'm focused on my agenda, that may be a worse sin then something more obvious, like swearing or becoming angry with some one.

It is not how you or I look at sin, but how does God rate sin. That is all I care about. The Old Testament taught us which are sins unto death, (usually by stoning) and which can be covered by offering (unintentional sins) Numbers 15:22-36 shows a man breaking one of the Ten Commandments - the law - which is willful lawlessness, thus a sin unto death. Leviticus 5:15 shows that what God calls trespasses are unintentional. In the Lord's Prayer only trespasses are mentioned, not sins of lawlessness.

1 John 2:1 shows that Jesus is our Advocate, but repentance is not mentioned, thus the person is unaware they have committed a trespass. In such cases as we walk in the Spirit 1 John 1:7 Jesus is our Advocate and cleanses us of those sins.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5:11 - And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. :)
Just so. We can actually know that we have eternal life.

And this passage has to be dealt with by those who would say otherwise.

Has life. . . that you may know that you have eternal life . . . seems clear to me that God wants us to have that certainy.

What would you say is the best way to be certain?

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so. We can actually know that we have eternal life.

And this passage has to be dealt with by those who would say otherwise.

Has life. . . that you may know that you have eternal life . . . seems clear to me that God wants us to have that certainy.

What would you say is the best way to be certain?

Much love!

Let me know if I can answer, or if you would like him to. It would be best that he study it for himself.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that may be a worse sin then something more obvious, like swearing or becoming angry with some one.

Hi Renniks,

That is pretty much how I think also. I don't even really want to try to know every sin I might commit. That's not really my concern. (that's liable to reap a heavy response!)

I look at my awareness of sin now compared to 20 years ago compared to 40 years ago, and wonder what it might be 20 years from now. How much do I want to embarass myself with my current display of ignorance?

We tend to rate our own sins, this is worse, this not so bad, but none are life, all are death. No exceptions, to my understanding.

Much love!

Reactions: Renniks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me know if I can answer, or if you would like him to. It would be best that he study it for himself.
Yeah! I know you are a ready writer! :)

I'm hoping to hear @mailmandan 's answer. Maybe give it a little bit? Whatever you think good is fine with me.

Much love!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Catholic who believes in putting people before our opinions about doctrine and the Bible. Yes, it does sound oxymoronic, but it is my goal

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We tend to rate our own sins, this is worse, this not so bad, but none are life, all are death. No exceptions, to my understanding.

Much love!

But that is wrong. Not all sin is unto death. 1 John 5:16-17. There ARE sins not unto death, but only the blood of Jesus can cleanse them, and He does so as we forgive others there trespasses against us. Matthew 6:14-15; 1 John 1:7; 1 John 2:1* Jesus is NOT our Advocate for willful sins of lawlessness, only sins committed while walking in the Spirit and acting in love.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What makes you think anger is a sin? It is not in itself, but could lead to sin. Do you really believe Jesus wasn't angry when He turned over the tables of the money changers. Righteous indignation is not a sin. But anger without cause that you let lead to murder or bearing false witness is a willful sin of lawlessness - a sin unto death.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
only sins committed while walking in the Spirit and acting in love.
Now this is the part that doesn't make sense to me. If we walk in the Spirit, we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are acting in love, true Godly love, we will be working righteousness.

I believe our thoughts and actions originate in either our new creation spirit, or in our corrupted flesh. Anything from the new creation spirit life is rightousness, and anything from the corrupted flesh is sin, no matter what.

Walking in the Spirit to me means walking in the Spirit of Christ, and in Him is no sin, not of any kind. Living in faith means that we are not sinning, even sins not unto death.

But I still think on a functional level we're more apart in wording than in how we understand and live our lives in the Lord.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you think anger is a sin? It is not in itself, but could lead to sin. Do you really believe Jesus wasn't angry when He turned over the tables of the money changers. Righteous indignation is not a sin. But anger without cause that you let lead to murder or bearing false witness is a willful sin of lawlessness - a sin unto death.
I think anger can be very sinful. Sometimes we feel anger as a way to avoid accepting responsibility for our part. Just get mad over their part. and a 1000 other wrong reasons.

James, I think, wrote, the wrath of man works not the righteousness of God.

It's one thing for Jesus to get angry. But is our anger righteous like his? Maybe. But maybe not.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now this is the part that doesn't make sense to me. If we walk in the Spirit, we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are acting in love, true Godly love, we will be working righteousness.

Right, so we wouldn't sin on purpose would we, or even know that we had. Remember a mm off bullseye is missing the mark. Fulfilling the lust of the flesh sins are ALL willful sins of lawlessness. You cannot commit them while walking in the Spirit. Think smaller!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Walking in the Spirit to me means walking in the Spirit of Christ, and in Him is no sin, not of any kind. Living in faith means that we are not sinning, even sins not unto death.

No, because look at the end of 1 John 1:7. This person is walking in the Spirit, yet the blood of Jesus is still cleansing sin (as our Advocate). What kind? Unknown trespasses. Matthew 6:14-15.

I believe our thoughts and actions originate in either our new creation spirit, or in our corrupted flesh. Anything from the new creation spirit life is rightousness, and anything from the corrupted flesh is sin, no matter what.

Romans 8:9 says we are NOT in the flesh, but in the Spirit if the Spirit of God indwells us. He doesn't leave. But Paul commands us to never quench the Spirit. It is the Spirit that makes us to continue to grow. If we quench the Spirit and stop growing, Peter says then we have forgotten that Jesus cleansed us from our old sins.

2 Peter 1
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

The apostles do not expect us to continue sinning. 1 John 2:1a. But, still, they give plenty of warnings in case we choose to and need to repent, or commit a trespass for which we need to keep forgiving others their trespasses against us to have ours continually cleansed.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think anger can be very sinful. Sometimes we feel anger as a way to avoid accepting responsibility for our part. Just get mad over their part. and a 1000 other wrong reasons.

James, I think, wrote, the wrath of man works not the righteousness of God.

It's one thing for Jesus to get angry. But is our anger righteous like his? Maybe. But maybe not.

Much love!

Can lead to sin, but is not sin in itself if it is merely righteous indignation. I've gotten plenty angry with the Democratic party of late. But I won't kill my D friends. I just stay away from them for a while.

I go by Ephesians 4:25-27
25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. In the Lord's Prayer only trespasses are mentioned, not sins of lawlessness.
Um, not really. Trespasses isn't even a good translation.
Nearly all of the most credible English translations over time have translated the Greek words, opheilēma/opheiletēs, as “debts/debtors.” And that’s because in the New Testament and the Septuagint, these words almost always convey the meaning of owing a financial or moral debt or obligation.

Jesus wanted his disciples (including us) to understand sin in both the sense of owing a debt and the sense of trespassing into territory that doesn’t belong to us.

But since you like Tydales version, what does trespasses mean?
A trespasser occupies a realm or exercises a right that rightfully belongs to someone else. A trespasser violates another person.
This is what happened in the garden of Eden and what we have all done since.

We have violated God. We have committed a treasonous trespass, and we owe the debt of treason: death (Romans 6:23).
It's not about unintentional sin.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because look at the end of 1 John 1:7. This person is walking in the Spirit, yet the blood of Jesus is still cleansing sin (as our Advocate).
Are you certain this does not mean cleansing us from all sin, that is, from committing sin?

Cleansing here, present active participle, this is ongoing cleansing right now. Are we being cleansed of the consequences of sin when we're not committing sin? Or is this cleansing that keeps us clean from sin?

Much love!
Mark

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's anger that isn't sinful, but most anger is. Most anger is selfish.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can lead to sin, but is not sin in itself if it is merely righteous indignation. I've gotten plenty angry with the Democratic party of late. But I won't kill my D friends. I just stay away from them for a while.

I go by Ephesians 4:25-27
25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.
I'm not saying anger is always sinful. But I think some anger is. At the end of the day I find that most if not all anger - in me - is not useful.

Much love!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so say someone done you really bad destroys your property .. dome something to a family member .are you saying you can keep it together. here is the problem with your post . when you say every prayer of yours is answered . that creates a doubt in the way you post it .now you use sin i realize your older lady .i looked at your profile.........so i give you respect..but cannot agree with your post.