How to respond to 13-year-old daughter who declares being gay

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn’t talking to you and you don’t know anything about me
you posted something on an open public forum. Anyone here can respond

I do know one should always be careful to not do what one scolds another for.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do love my neighbor , its why i correct them if they are in error .
That is all that you do. I have never read anything in your many posts that even approaches being loving. You falsely equate loving with judging and criticizing, but you clearly don't like it when others "love" you in a similar fashion.

You set yourself up as some sort of righteous judge, just as the Pharisee did when he stood next to the tax collector. Have you ever said anything that is positive and encouraging?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you posted something on an open public forum. Anyone here can respond

I do know one should always be careful to not do what one scolds another for.
I was hardly scolding anyone, and if I posted something in all caps I don’t recall. (Bold type I remember but I can’t think of anything in all caps). Anyway since this is a public forum I apologize to anyone I may have offended by using bold type or capital letters. PS the only post I can think of that you might be referring to was not replying to any individual. It was posted in response to my own post.

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yet you reject out of hand what it actually says.
No I reject what you claim it means. Over 60 different translations of the Bible and none of them remotely compares to your version of Romans 1:26. And I posted the Greek with links to each word, so anyone can see what it actually says.

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I reject what you claim it means. Over 60 different translations of the Bible and none of them remotely compares to your version of Romans 1:26.
Romans 1:26 notes from the NET Bible. tn Grk “for their females exchanged the natural function for that which is contrary to nature.” The term χρῆσις(crhsi") has the force of “sexual relations” here (L&N 23.65).

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What evidence?

Lets test that out -

It is said that Paul coined the word arsenokoites by combining two separate words arsen and koite from the Septuagint because his audience would have no reference or understanding of homosexuality. The ancient Greeks clearly understood the concept and didn’t have to make up words to discuss it either.

The phrase from the Septuagint being abused is: "kai meta arsenos ou koimêthêsê koitên gynaikos bdelygma gar estin"

Breaking this down:

The greek "Kai" is "and", and "meta" is is usually translated as "with".

"arsenos" means "male" (as opposed to "man" ["andros"]).

"koimethese" roughly means "the same as".

"koiten" here means something more than just a bed (kaioh) Koiten specifically means "marriage bed".

"gyno" means "woman" [as in "gynacology"], but here the specific word is gynaikos idiomatically refer to "wife", as in "my woman".

"bdelygma" means "ritually impure" not abomination. "To'ebah" is the word for abomination. Remember isn't sin "to'ebah" doesn't mean sin, (zimah). To enter the temple or engage in rituals required a man to ritually cleansed.

So we have: A (sanctified) male should not bring a sexual partner (no specified gender) to his wife's bed for sex, doing so makes him ritually impure.
Notes from the NET Bible Leviticus 20:13. tn Heb “[as the] lyings of a woman.” The specific reference here is to homosexual intercourse between males.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 1:26
Text Analysis
Go to Parallel Greek
Strong'sGreekEnglishMorphology
1223[e]Διὰ
Dia
Because ofPrep
3778[e]τοῦτο
touto
thisDPro-ANS
3860[e]παρέδωκεν
paredōken
gave upV-AIA-3S
846 [e]αὐτοὺς
autous
themPPro-AM3P
3588[e]
ho
- Art-NMS
2316[e]Θεὸς
Theos
GodN-NMS
1519[e]εἰς
eis
toPrep
3806[e]πάθη
pathē
passionsN-ANP
819 [e]ἀτιμίας·
atimias
of dishonor.N-GFS
3588[e]αἵ
hai
- Art-NFP
5037[e]τε
te
EvenConj
1063[e]γὰρ
gar
forConj
2338[e]θήλειαι
thēleiai
femalesAdj-NFP
846 [e]αὐτῶν
autōn
of themPPro-GM3P
3337[e]μετήλλαξαν
metēllaxan
changedV-AIA-3P
3588[e]τὴν
tēn
theArt-AFS
5446[e]φυσικὴν
physikēn
naturalAdj-AFS
5540[e]χρῆσιν
chrēsin
useN-AFS
1519[e]εἰς
eis
intoPrep
3588[e]τὴν
tēn
thatArt-AFS
3844[e]παρὰ
para
contrary toPrep
5449[e]φύσιν,
physin
nature.N-AFS

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and the Septuagint, doesn't say that.
Leviticus 20:13
view lexical information.
Lev 20:12Lev 20Lev 20:14

kai
καὶ
And
Conjunction

hos
ὃς
who
Pronoun, Relative, Nominative Singular Masculine

an
ἂν
ever
Participleicle

koimēthē
κοιμηθῇ
should have bedded
Verb, Aorist Passive Subjective 3rd Singular

meta
μετὰ
with
Preposition

arsenos
ἄρσενος
a male
Adjective, Genitive Singular Neuter

koitēn
κοίτην
as the marriage-bed
Noun, Accusative Singular Feminine

gynaikos
γυναικός,
of a woman,
Noun, Genitive Singular Feminine

bdelygma
βδέλυγμα
an abomination
Noun, Accusative Singular Neuter

epoiēsan
ἐποίησαν
did
Verb, Aorist Active Indicative 3rd Plural

amphoteroi
ἀμφότεροι·
both;
Adjective, Nominative Plural Masculine

to death

thanatousthōsan
θανατούσθωσαν,
let them be put to death!
Verb, Present Middle Imperative 3rd Plural

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he phrase from the Septuagint being abused is: "kai meta arsenos ou koimêthêsê koitên gynaikos bdelygma gar estin"

Breaking this down:

The greek "Kai" is "and", and "meta" is is usually translated as "with".

"arsenos" means "male" (as opposed to "man" ["andros"]).

"koimethese" roughly means "the same as".

"koiten" here means something more than just a bed (kaioh) Koiten specifically means "marriage bed".

"gyno" means "woman" [as in "gynacology"], but here the specific word is gynaikos idiomatically refer to "wife", as in "my woman".

"bdelygma" means "ritually impure" not abomination. "To'ebah" is the word for abomination. Remember isn't sin "to'ebah" doesn't mean sin, (zimah). To enter the temple or engage in rituals required a man to ritually cleansed.

So we have: A (sanctified) male should not bring a sexual partner (no specified gender) to his wife's bed for sex, doing so makes him ritually impure.
You missed a couple of words that make a big difference in the translation:

καὶ ὃς ἂν κοιμηθῇ μετὰ ἄρσενος κοίτην γυναικός βδέλυγμα ἐποίησαν

"hos" ("he whosoever", with the subsequent "an") is singular-nominative-masculine, so "he whosoever" (masculine) is the subject of the sentence, not "arsenos". "koite", from which we get the word "coitus", means sexual intercourse; see Strong's definition "c". The immediate context of Leviticus 20:10-21 is about sexual relations and peeping at naked relatives, so it is safe to conclude "c" is the correct definition. "Male" and "wife" are in the genitive case, which corresponds to possessives in English. And "bdelugma" means something disgusting as though with a foul stench; again, see Strong's definition.

So, a better translation would be:

"If he whosoever goes to bed with coitus of a male as of a wife, they have done something disgusting."

Whether this applies to oral sex between males is another topic. And it doesn't say a thing about lesbians.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLT63

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I find more interesting about the Romans 1:26-27 reference is the immediate context of Romans 1:21-24:

21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their reasonings, and their senseless hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and they exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible mankind, of birds, four-footed animals, and crawling creatures. 24 Therefore God gave them up to vile impurity in the lusts of their hearts...28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to an unfit mind, to do those things that are not proper.

What I see here is that our screwed-up, confused sexuality (along with all the other things in verses 28-31) are God's ordained consequences in this world for ignoring Him, and for worshipping idols of our own making. We're being punished.

This isn't the narrative we were taught. But this is what it says.

But then, why don't we get better when we turn to God? Why are we still screwed-up and confused and angry and hateful and disobedient and greedy and selfish and arrogant and...? I don't understand.

Last edited: