Is Dispensationalism a valid way to interpret scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I don't teach sinless perfection. But there are two types of sin, one of which is dead in us because of God indwelling us, and we have no desire to commit, as in 1 John 3:9. It is the context of 1 John 3:4. Those are the sins unto death shown in 1 John 5:16-17.
With all due respect, CL, I believe you are either (a) being misled or (b) have become confused on these points by dwelling too much on the issue of sin and not enough on the issue of righteousness. There is no such thing as "sin which is dead in us".

1. If you are referring to the sin nature within all humans (including Christians), it was nailed to the cross when Christ died for our sins. Which means that "the flesh" (sin nature) no longer has power or dominion over those who have received the gift of the Spirit, and been born again. "Sin shall not have dominion (authority) over you". At the same time, every Christian must (a) reckon himself/herself to be dead to sin and alive to God and (b)mortify or crucify the flesh by denying it the attraction of sin. Temptation and yielding to temptation are not the same thing. We can be tempted but if we refuse to yield we have mortified the flesh.

2. If you are referring to the "sin unto death" that would be any sin in which a Christian persists in spite of all the admonitions of Scripture, or other Christians, or conviction by the Holy Spirit. This kind of sin would result in premature physical death but the soul would be saved. Thus Paul says many "sleep"(die) because of failure to examine themselves.

So what about the other? Those we do commit even while walking in the Spirit, but as 1 John 1:7 shows, the blood of Jesus is (automatically and continually) cleansing them - making us appear to God as sinless, if we forgive others the same type of sin who commit them against us.
How can anyone who is walking in the Spirit commit sins? Walking in the Spirit is the exact opposite of walking in the flesh (committing sins).

In any event, what John says is that if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 6:14-16
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
What this means is that if we hold grudges against others and do not forgive them, then God will not forgive our sins either. So we need to examine ourselves and see if we are holding any bitterness or grudges against others.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as "sin which is dead in us".
I don't know if you believe these or not. I do.

"2 How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?"

"7 For he who has died has been freed from sin."

"9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

This is fact. But we ourselves must also believe this of ourselves and reckon with our mind and will not to be caught up in the influences of the world and sin when we don't have to. In other words, when sin is no longer in our nature. Don't be yoked with unbelievers.

1. If you are referring to the sin nature within all humans (including Christians), it was nailed to the cross when Christ died for our sins. Which means that "the flesh" (sin nature) no longer has power or dominion over those who have received the gift of the Spirit, and been born again. "Sin shall not have dominion (authority) over you". At the same time, every Christian must (a) reckon himself/herself to be dead to sin and alive to God and (b)mortify or crucify the flesh by denying it the attraction of sin. Temptation and yielding to temptation are not the same thing. We can be tempted but if we refuse to yield we have mortified the flesh.

Yes, this is what I mean, so I'm confused that you do not believe we are dead to sin.

2. If you are referring to the "sin unto death" that would be any sin in which a Christian persists in spite of all the admonitions of Scripture, or other Christians, or conviction by the Holy Spirit. This kind of sin would result in premature physical death but the soul would be saved. Thus Paul says many "sleep"(die) because of failure to examine themselves.

I disagree. If you are talking about 1 Corinthians 11, I do not believe that those who commit willful sins of lawlessness and don't repent, 1 John 3:4 are saved. Is that the verse you are talking about? Or 1 Corinthians 3, which is not even talking about sin, but ministries.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can anyone who is walking in the Spirit commit sins? Walking in the Spirit is the exact opposite of walking in the flesh (committing sins).

They are sins not unto death. Trespasses are sins, but unwittingly committed. They are minor offenses of imperfection, that we can commit against one another. We need to forgive, to be forgiven.

You think I spend too much time studying sin. Well, maybe you don't study enough, because the Old Testament teaches us the difference. I teach a lot on sin, because of the abundance of false teachings of demons that have permeated the Church. If you can't see the importance for rightly dividing the word of truth on this major issue, then Satan and all his demons win in their campaign of apathy.

In any event, what John says is that if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness by the blood of Jesus Christ.

1 John 1:9 is how to become a Christian. It is not setting us up for failure of a life of sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent, etc., etc. etc. It is called REPENT, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is so we no longer have to sin again - the need for repentance.

What this means is that if we hold grudges against others and do not forgive them, then God will not forgive our sins either. So we need to examine ourselves and see if we are holding any bitterness or grudges against others.

They are sins, yes, but not sins unto death, which you have completely misinterpreted in 1 John 5:16-17. It is the type of sin, not the abundance. Those are lawlessness. That is why Matthew 6 refers to these as TRESPASSES. They are sins NOT unto death.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Now all they have to do is a couple of miracles and the Pope will *canonize* them, and declare them to be Catholic saints.:cool:

Wow!!! You two mockers might as well call Jesus a liar, and that His death was in vain.

John 8:34-36
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

1 John 3:5
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Romans 8:2
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

cc: @tzcho2

Last edited:

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have heard people on this forum claiming they do not sin and to be a Christian means that they don't sin.
I believe it to be, that one who is truly born again is not under the power of Sin and as such they can deal with Sin because they know or read it's temptations and can have a handle on such, but they still do sin and they know that they do. if one says that they do not sin this is a lie.

One example, one offers money to tempt them to do something wrong to their fellow man ? Be gone Satan ! would be the result directly, they will not be temped and they know that serpents works are of Satan and they will work to stamp out that fire. on the other hand one who does not respect God or people will take the cash and in his deeds sets fires.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if one says that they do not sin this is a lie.

That is true for someone who is not born again of the Spirit. That is why the next verse tells them to confess their sins and they will be cleansed of ALL SIN. Excuse me, but how much sin is left if they are cleansed of ALL sin? If they are clean, should they still claim they are dirty? Verse 9 is how to become a Christian. Verse 8 is the self-righteous sinner who thinks they are good enough and doesn't need God.

1 John 1:8 is the verse that people love to use to justify their own powerlessness over sin. They are Christians in name only, but have never repented in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Once they finally repent and have the Spirit then 1 John 3:9 is true. Read it and judge if it fits you. Does your life confirm that word, and I don't just mean you, Reggie, but everyone who reads the forums, including me. All we have to do is follow the steps to eternal life. And the first step is just like in AA - acknowledge your need for a Savior, because you are dead in your sins with no power to do anything about them. So number one is to repent, and ask Jesus to scrub you completely clean of all trace of desire to sin. That is when, and only when, Jesus gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit to fill us with His Own sinless power called grace.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I know what you mean. Most Protestants have been influenced by the Reformation, initially what Martin Luther taught (Yikes!) That is why you haven't heard what I teach, but it is scriptural, more than anything out of the Reformation.

The sin of 1 John 3:9 is in context of verse 4 at the beginning of the passage. Lawlessness would be against the law, or Ten Commandments. Bearing false witness, also called lying is one of the commandments. Do you remember Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5? They lied, and God killed them on the spot. That is also true in the Old Testament in Numbers 15:30-36. But, also read Numbers 15:22-29. Those two passages distinguish the difference in the two kinds of sin - willful lawlessness, and unintentional trespasses (Leviticus 5:15). But with willful sins of lawlessness, the wages of sin is death.
1 John 3:9 is explaining that we are not to live a life of sin...
otherwise john would be contradicting himself with 1 John chapters 1 and 2.

So, are you saying that if we willfully sin...we become lost??
But if the sin is unintentional....then we're OK?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Like many people who don't look for context, you started with verse 14, but verse 13 tells the context 14-23 should be seen in. Then chapter 8 makes more sense. The reason why the unsaved, who actually know the law like the OT Jews and Pharisees, can't keep the law is sin in the original carnal nature inherited due to Adam's first sin. That is what Jesus' death dealt with, the carnal nature, and why He is called the second Adam, and is exactly why we need to be born again of the Spirit. That is what makes us dead to sin. The Spirit. What you quoted is those under the law only without the Spirit. But Paul is comparing that state with chapter 8 of introducing the Spirit through Christ Jesus. It is LAW vs. SPIRIT. Those that repent of their sin are cleansed of all their past sin, but Jesus doesn't stop there. He then gives us His Spirit to make us not desire to sin in the present and future. False doctrine teaches the opposite - that we will always have to battle the flesh. But Jesus condemns sin in the flesh, and if we are in the Spirit, then we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. It is up to us to not grieve or quench the Spirit, because then we are like a dog going back to eat up his own vomit. We cannot live in two realms - the Spirit and the flesh. The saved stay walking in the Spirit. Those who do not stay in the Spirit, start to love sin more, and again become slaves of sin.

Romans 7:13
13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.

Romans 8:2
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
I read the above.
But could you still please answer my question?
Thanks.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:9 is explaining that we are not to live a life of sin...
otherwise john would be contradicting himself with 1 John chapters 1 and 2.

John isn't contradicting himself at all. He is comparing the saved with the unsaved. 1 John 1:6,8,10 are unsaved. Do you notice there is one verse separating each of them. He basically does the same style in chapter 3 separating those in Christ vs. those of the devil.

1 John 1
vs. 5 - God is light
vs. 6 - if we walk in darkness (unsaved)
vs. 7 - if we walk in the light (the blood of Jesus continually cleansing sins unknown to us (trespasses)
vs. 8 - if we (are unsaved) but say we have no sin
vs. 9 - what we must do to become saved - confess our sin
vs. 10 - if we say we've never sinned self-righteous and unsaved (all who do not abide in Christ have sinned - everyone - all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (in which the old nature still rules. Our nature needs to be born again of the Spirit).

1 John 2
vs. 1 - I tell you this so you will not sin (its possible!)
vs. 1 - Jesus is our Advocate for sins requiring no repentance - unknown trespasses vs. 1:7

vs. 3 - Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
vs. 4 - He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
vs. 5 - But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
vs. 6 - He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. (Up to us to actually know God and walk in His power, or just say you know Him but don't and walk in darkness)

That is an example of the Semitic writing style called contrasts. Look at chapter 3 and you can more clearly see that John does the same thing, going back and forth, back and forth between contrasts. A Greek style would have separated all the unsaved by lumping them all in one paragraph, and all the saved into another

If you commit a sin of lawlessness 1 John 3:4 that is breaking one of the "royal moral laws" James 2:8-13, such as murder, stealing, lying, sorcery, adultery, coveting (teaching all the others start in the heart, just as coveting does - you want to take their life; you want to take their possessions; you want to take their reputation; you want to take their spouse). Basically, any sin that was not covered by a sacrifice in the Old Testament that ended with their death. It is a sin unto death. Do these after the Spirit has given you power to not want to, and you trample on His blood (or were never baptized in the Spirit in the first place, but operating still in your old nature.)

A true born again Christian has these laws written on their new born again nature by the Spirit, and then by nature have no desire to commit any of these. Like I couldn't abuse an animal - it just is not in my nature. I couldn't even do it once! Nor could I commit murder once. Nor steal once. Nor commit adultery once (since being born again - an affair with a married man is what drove me to repentance in the first place. Then Jesus filled me with His Spirit and overnight, all desire to willfully sin was gone.) We must be born again of the Spirit. Trying to be good enough with our old nature is impossible and just works. Now the Spirit does good works, I'm just His vessel.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you hate someone and murder and steal from them, then lie and say you didn't do it - you will not inherit the kingdom of God. you would be like a dog going back to eat his own vomit.

But if you commit a trespass, there is a condition.
Matthew 6:14-15
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

A trespass is unintentional. Leviticus 5:15 “If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally in regard to the holy things of the Lord, then he shall bring to the Lord as his trespass offering a ram without blemish from the flocks, with your valuation in shekels of silver according to the shekel of the sanctuary, as a trespass offering."

Notice there was a sacrifice for unintentional sins, whereas there was no sacrifice to cover sins against the commandments - they killed them.

Jesus' death paid for all our past sins, then gives us the Holy Spirit to empower us to not commit willful sins of lawlessness. They are no longer in our nature to do. Look what Paul says about someone who goes ahead after they have been sanctified and commits a willful sin.

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If you hate someone and murder and steal from them, then lie and say you didn't do it - you will not inherit the kingdom of God. you would be like a dog going back to eat his own vomit.

But if you commit a trespass, there is a condition.
Matthew 6:14-15

A trespass is unintentional. Leviticus 5:15 “If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally in regard to the holy things of the Lord, then he shall bring to the Lord as his trespass offering a ram without blemish from the flocks, with your valuation in shekels of silver according to the shekel of the sanctuary, as a trespass offering."

Notice there was a sacrifice for unintentional sins, whereas there was no sacrifice to cover sins against the commandments - they killed them.

Jesus' death paid for all our past sins, then gives us the Holy Spirit to empower us to not commit willful sins of lawlessness. They are no longer in our nature to do. Look what Paul says about someone who goes ahead after they have been sanctified and commits a willful sin.
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
OK CL,
This is serious stuff and deserves a serious answer.
Can't do this right now...I promise tomorrow morning.
It's late here.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK CL,
This is serious stuff and deserves a serious answer.
Can't do this right now...I promise tomorrow morning.
It's late here.

It is serious, and many won't accept the holiness God expects and has empowered us with, choosing a doctrine to justify their carnal nature that has never been reborn. They even mock those who teach holiness. This is why I do not teach doctrines of liberal denominations, but the reality and truth of the Word of God. I don't want to see anyone lost in their fables, without, at least, once hearing the truth.

2 Timothy 4:
I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

God will judge according to these groups. Some to eternity with Him, some to eternity with the devil. There will be no gray areas.

Revelation 22:11
11 He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is true for someone who is not born again of the Spirit. That is why the next verse tells them to confess their sins and they will be cleansed of ALL SIN. Excuse me, but how much sin is left if they are cleansed of ALL sin? If they are clean, should they still claim they are dirty? Verse 9 is how to become a Christian. Verse 8 is the self-righteous sinner who thinks they are good enough and doesn't need God.

1 John 1:8 is the verse that people love to use to justify their own powerlessness over sin. They are Christians in name only, but have never repented in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Once they finally repent and have the Spirit then 1 John 3:9 is true. Read it and judge if it fits you. Does your life confirm that word, and I don't just mean you, Reggie, but everyone who reads the forums, including me. All we have to do is follow the steps to eternal life. And the first step is just like in AA - acknowledge your need for a Savior, because you are dead in your sins with no power to do anything about them. So number one is to repent, and ask Jesus to scrub you completely clean of all trace of desire to sin. That is when, and only when, Jesus gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit to fill us with His Own sinless power called grace.
Yes one is not under the power and dominated by Sin, as to the temptations, as one has a handle on the gravity of all that.
So one has a handle on the working of the serpents games like. so that the gravity of Sin is exposed, so you have the power to deal with such sin. As one is not lost to Sin now.

But their still is Sin or temptations coming at you from angles of some gravity or another one had to deal with and you have to deal with them all.

How about ones children or friends that you could not bring to the Lord, is that a Sin ? what have I done wrong ? one may ask ones self and that hurts real bad, I have seen it with others who have had to deal with their children being lost to the Lord lead astray, but the mum and dad tried the best that they could, or was it that they sent them to uni, now was that a Sin ? maybe ! my Uncle said it was so and said they should of never of did that. because uni's brainwash the kids no end, it's full of Satanist who work to corrupt the Soul.

Not all Sins are equal, I have a mate up the road who claims all sins are totally equal, just thinking a thought condemns you as much as murdering another for kicks. so he claims.

One will always have to repent of your Sins sincerely regardless and repenting is not a one off thing like my mate claims up the road, he claims it's a done deal as he claims to believe that Jesus is the one and so bingo he is going to heaven regardless, he believes that he is born again due to just that point as to believe and now he can do what ever he wants, kill who ever just for kicks, work to destroy and slander the church you name it, as he and his mob 'Jews for Jesus' mob claims he is saved ? I don't agree with him, because one would not do such if you were truly born again, as I ask what does the Holy Spirit say is the reality of the situation and not what he or his mob may claim.
No one would do evil as such it the were truly saved. Jesus never attacked to kill people, he did however drive them out with a whip ect for good reason as they were defiling God.

Maybe we should be down at the uni pointing them out all the Vampires that they truly are, in how they are run by filthy Satanic morons, because if we don't, I think that such is a carnal Sin ? not to mention pointing out the political landscape for what they truly are in fact, just mainly Vampires bleeding us all dry.

There is Venial Sin and Carnal Sin. but the Born again are not Carnal and not to mention that not all Priest are born again in fact and that the Jews for Jesus mob are Satanist.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I looked into the Jews for Jesus page years ago and I seen on the first page, they were wanting your inheritance if you died to go all to them, they made it easy for you to do. ha ha ! typical of Jews to get that out of the way first off the bat:rolleyes:.
Then the words Jews For Jesus o_O :confused: ? what a load of BS ! for a start :p.
Talmud Zionist for Jesus it truly is.
If it was Jews for Jesus Christ well that may be ok because that refers to knowing he is the Christ, but that is not what they are claiming at all, that I could see of them. they attack the Church no end from all my old mate is informing me and he wans to kill all Roman Catholics and anyone who does not agree with the Jews for Jesus mob.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we still live in our flesh bodies which do sin when allowed, using the same flesh mind that we've had since birth. I likewise believe that being born again, we are now no longer that man, instead we are God's spirit children. Just as Jesus lived in a terrestrial body, though He is from heaven, we also, though born of God, still live in a terrestrial body.

Jesus' body had no corruption from sin, being the Last Man, a new creation, not born from Adam's line. Ours, on the other hand, not so.

So that which is born of God sins not. The new creation, created according to God, in righteousness and true holiness. That which is born of Adam is dead in sin.

I don't think God ever intends for us, His children, to think something that's not true.

Much love!

I'm a realist. I well understand how we can lie to ourselves and deceive ourselves. It's very easy to do. And that's what Apostle John is showing in 1 John 1 about sin, i.e., "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

1 John 1:5-10
5 This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
KJV

The idea is to recognize that as long as we are in this flesh, we can still commit sin IF we do not walk in that "light", and the way we are to deal with that is repentance.

John gave the IF condition there just like Apostle Paul did in Galatians 5 that IF we walk by The Spirit then we are dead to the law, and thus to sin.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a realist. I well understand how we can lie to ourselves and deceive ourselves. It's very easy to do. And that's what Apostle John is showing in 1 John 1 about sin, i.e., "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

1 John 1:5-10
5 This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
KJV

The idea is to recognize that as long as we are in this flesh, we can still commit sin IF we do not walk in that "light", and the way we are to deal with that is repentance.

John gave the IF condition there just like Apostle Paul did in Galatians 5 that IF we walk by The Spirit then we are dead to the law, and thus to sin.

My response to this is #230.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know that what Jesus did was condemn sin in the flesh? In other words, killed the desire to commit willful sins of lawlessness. That is by His Spirit. It is not our puny willpower, but His all powerful Spirit. If we are not baptized in the Spirit, we cannot be saved.

Sorry, but you cannot just scrap all the warnings against sinning for believers after they had already believed on Jesus. You'd be scrapping probably about one third of the New Testament Epistles, especially Paul's Epistles. If Paul had literally meant we can never sin anymore after having believed on Jesus then he never would have kept warning the believing brethren against sinning. Sorry, you simply can't have your cake and eat it too.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but you cannot just scrap all the warnings against sinning for believers after they had already believed on Jesus. You'd be scrapping probably about one third of the New Testament Epistles, especially Paul's Epistles. If Paul had literally meant we can never sin anymore after having believed on Jesus then he never would have kept warning the believing brethren against sinning. Sorry, you simply can't have your cake and eat it too.

The apostles were Hebrews, not westerners. You have 1 John 1:8 contradicting 1 John 3:9. Why?

How is not committing sins of lawlessness having your cake and eating it too? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John isn't contradicting himself at all. He is comparing the saved with the unsaved. 1 John 1:6,8,10 are unsaved.

The part in the above quote I put in red is a falsehood.

The whole... 1 John 1 Chapter is Apostle John speaking to brethren in Christ Jesus.

1 John 1
1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.
4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

John is declaring what they, the Apostles, had seen and witnessed regarding Jesus. And the reason was not as new converts to Christ, but that their joy in Christ might be full. In other words, John is speaking to Christian brethren here.

John gives a condition regarding our walk. Simple, IF we walk in darkness while saying we have fellowship with Him, we lie. This isn't about a non-believer, because a non-believer wouldn't be saying they walk with Jesus. John is talking about a believer engulfed in sin while claiming fellowship with Jesus. What of those brethren who refuse to repent and take Communion with Jesus? Do you think they have fellowship with Him? No, they don't, they are apostate.

There's the condition again; IF we walk in the light, then Jesus' Blood cleanses us. And John is getting ready to tell us just how Jesus does that for brethren that have already believed...

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and his word is not in us.
KJV

There it is. IF... we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins. All of this is John speaking to Christian brethren.

THE DANGER of men's doctrines against this:

The devil doesn't want us to stay in a daily walk with our Lord Jesus. He doesn't want us checking our fleshy lusts which can lead us to sin, and not to repent to Jesus when we do fall short into sin.

The very event of Jesus promising us The Holy Spirit Comforter is to teach us how to walk with Him in doing righteousness. This is not religious philosophy. It is literal fact with how the walk in Christ works for the believer. The Holy Spirit acts as our Guide IF... we listen to Him. When our flesh lusts, The Holy Spirit will give our spirit an urge to instead do right. It will come into your conscience, that still little voice. For the believer, that is how our Heavenly Father and His Son works through us, i.e., by The Holy Spirit. But is only IF... we listen to Him and heed.

If we continue in a sin, and refuse to admit sin, then we begin to cut off the bridge between our spirit and The Holy Spirit. This is why men's doctrines against the need for repentance of future sins is a doctrine of devils designed to cut off the walk with Christ Jesus.