Jesus didn't take away our sin, only our punishment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't believe the title, but do you know how many people believe a Christian still sins? They say we will always sin in this life, but Jesus took away our punishment.

It is funny, how so many don't agree with my title, who are the ones who say this! They don't understand what Jesus accomplished, nor what it means to be born again of the Spirit. It appears that people are reacting to the title and are not even reading the passage that declares that to be a false doctrine. I just used a quote from one of the forum members, but it certainly wasn't mine. Some of my haters, will be against anything I post. Hopefully, they will think twice when declaring the lie that a Christian can't be sinless.
One would have to have given themselves completely over to Christ, forsaken completely self. Show me one. I have never seeing any,

Though I do agree

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is best, better, and good to Listen to Jesus, instead of to men Jesus does not speak through.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Flesh & bones but no blood? Paul, what just happened? After his resurrection, and for forty days, he walked, talked, ate fish and bread, defecated and slept, but had no blood? All because he shed his blood on the cross, as in all of it, not a drop was left, not a single ounce or gram, not an iota.
Can I take back my previous positive remark, about your sensibilities?
:)
It just took it from what Jesus literally said about His resurrected body, where He said that he had a body of flesh and bones. Usually we would say that we are flesh and blood. But I could be wrong of course, and your thinking is logical and fair enough.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:)
It just took it from what Jesus literally said about His resurrected body, where He said that he had a body of flesh and bones. Usually we would say that we are flesh and blood. But I could be wrong of course, and your thinking is logical and fair enough.
Stick with what the Father reveals in His Word,
not logical nor fair words of men different from God's Word.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit does say to us at times, "Hey, wait a minute! Look more closely at the wording of the verse."
Lay this idea/ this thought or question / lay all in all before the Father in heaven, again, or for the first time,
and let Him open your mind to understand His Word as Jesus says He Does for little children,
but He hides it from the educated.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Stick with what the Father reveals in His Word,
not logical nor fair words of men different from God's Word.
I hate to split hairs... Jesus did say to the disciples that He had a body of flesh and bones and not flesh and blood, and so saying "not of God's Word" isn't strictly right if one takes the literal text as it reads. But unless any of the disciples actually took His pulse, we don't know for sure what His resurrected body was like. But I do concur that it probably was a normal human body and not some sort of magical "spiritual" body, although a glorified body.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One would have to have given themselves completely over to Christ, forsaken completely self. Show me one. I have never seeing any,

Though I do agree

It is not strange that you have seen so few. Notice the word "many." Casting out demons and prophesying means these profess to be Christians.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Reactions: amadeus

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What were those "words"
Go back a decade and see if you can find them.
It was clearly a false teaching...
The only thing I remember specifically is , when he was speaking himself, he said no one could receive power of a new life, nor be transformed, until after they died. There was more to it than that, but no reason to continue listening because it was so much wrong.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 2:
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”
And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (Rev 1:5)

washed=
" λούω. 1aor. ἔλουσα; pf. pass. λέλουμαι and λέλουσμαι; (1) active and literally, of cleansing someone wash, bathe (AC 16.33); (2) middle and literally wash, bathe oneself; metaphorically, of spiritual cleansing in JN 13.10; (3) figuratively, as a baptismal term wash (HE 10.22; RV 1.5)"

Not sure if that is what you are after.

Reactions: Ezra

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting back to the OP and Him not taking away our sins, only the punishment.

The atonement also brought with it reconciliation. Reconciliation is where two former enemies are made friends. In Genesis 15:6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness. In Romans 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” And finally in James 2:23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called the friend of God. All of these attest to that believing not only makes one righteous, but also a friend of God where they were once His enemy. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.[Romans 5:10]

Now, let us examine a verse that gets bandied about quite often. namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.[2 Corinthians 5:19] Many see the word 'world' and think He is reconciling 'everybody whoever lived' unto Himself. Not so fast my friends. There is a section in that verse, the 500 lb gorilla, that needs addressed. In that verse, it says not counting their trespasses against them. 'World' here cannot mean 'everybody whoever lived' as many will die in their sins, die as an enemy of God, die not being reconciled to God. If He is literally reconciling everyone to Himself, then everyone will be saved, seeing they were reconciled, made His friend, and not having their trespasses counted against them.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hate to split hairs... Jesus did say to the disciples that He had a body of flesh and bones and not flesh and blood, and so saying "not of God's Word" isn't strictly right if one takes the literal text as it reads. But unless any of the disciples actually took His pulse, we don't know for sure what His resurrected body was like. But I do concur that it probably was a normal human body and not some sort of magical "spiritual" body, although a glorified body.
You just muddied up the waters, so to speak. What you said at first, and I noted that the Father had revealed it to you, as He does to His children around the world, was good and right. It is still good and right,
but adding the other things is not good nor right. Also worse is doubting His Word.

Trust Him. His Word is Truth, and Right.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 2:
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”
he took away my sin justification i stand redemmed

Reactions: CharismaticLady

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Entering into Jesus brings us freedom from sin. The word for remission in the bible is actually akin to remission in cancer....as in your cancer is in remission. Basically cancer free. So then the Greek word "aphesis" is better translated as "freedom."

When we actually know the truth...or Christ...we are set free from the power of sin.

In Him is NO sin. All who claim to sin IN Christ are liars and religious posturers.
Everything from absolution of guilt, to freedom from it power!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, and although I am going off debating theology, sometimes it is required. The scapegoat is definitely not a type of Christ. When did a strong man lead a sin bearing Christ into the wilderness? The sins that were placed upon the scapegoat... Where did they come from?
I don't see the scapegoat as a type of Christ, more a picture of what happened. That Jesus died, and our sins were sent away.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are not robots, but our new nature hates what his old nature loved. Therefore, to be saved, we must stay walking in the Spirit, for thereby we are partaking of the divine nature of God. Those who return to the old nature and stay there will not inherit the Kingdom of God. The finish line of the race determines the prize. Revelation 22:11 (two paths)
In this part we'll disagree, as to me that represents our salvation and therefore justification before God as being based on our performance, and I believe the Bible is clear about this being settled by trusting Jesus, and the completed work He imparts to us in rebirth.

As always, I appreciate the message that in Christ we are truly free from sin!

Much love!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 1,770,000 results (0.46 seconds)

Web results

The Ultimate Scapegoat – Jews for Jesus

jewsforjesus.org › publications › issues › issues-v21-n01 › the-ultimat...

The idea of the scapegoat, however, is a biblical one. The term scapegoat is a translation of the Hebrew word Azazel. The Azazel was part of the Yom Kippur ritual ...

=============================================================

Christian perspectives
Jesus Christ is seen to have fulfilled all of the biblical "types"—the High Priest who officiates at the ceremony, the Lord's goat that deals with the pollution of sin and the scapegoat that removes the "burden of sin".

Scapegoat - Wikipedia