Jesus Is A God Of Conditional Love, Not Unconditional Love.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ozell

Jun 6, 2010
Jesus is a God of conditional Love, not unconditional love.

Deut 30v:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

the Lord set the table

choose

1Cor 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

here is the condition Jesus set forth to those that love him

Jn 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

the condition from God's mouth is for us to keep his commandments

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

God's love requires us to keep his commandments.

Reactions: JarBreaker

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
Would you care to explain the fathers' love for the prodigal son?

He was dead, now he's alive ? ... that phrasing of "to be dead" ... dead to Him, dead in his sins ? repentance means much more than being sorry you sinned, teshuvah means TO RETURN ... return to the Father's table.

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
He was dead, now he's alive ? ... that phrasing of "to be dead" ... dead to Him, dead in his sins ? repentance means much more than being sorry you sinned, teshuvah means TO RETURN ... return to the Father's table.

Yes, the son was dead as far as the Father was concerned. And yet the Father was overjoyed at the sons' return. The Father still had love for the son.

The love is unconditional. Even though we might reject the Lord His love for us remains. As you say, if we repent the Lord is overjoyed He welcomes us back into His presence. If we don't repent then the Lord mourns our passing just as we mourn over the death of someone we continue to love deeply.

The love of God remains despite our sins.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

We love because he first loved us. 1John 4:19

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't, and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38&39

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Jesus is a God of conditional Love, not unconditional love.

Deut 30v:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

the Lord set the table

choose

1Cor 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

here is the condition Jesus set forth to those that love him

Jn 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

the condition from God's mouth is for us to keep his commandments

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

God's love requires us to keep his commandments.

I have just one question to ask of you, if Jesus' love is conditional , how many of us would Jesus have died for? He died for me even though I am not worthy. Paul tells us that Grace comes not by our works. So if having to be righteous to experience God's Grace , that places works in the equation of receiving God's Love. God has always loved us because that is God's Nature, way before the Cross. Yet though we sinned God sent His Son to suffer and die for us. There is nor can be any conditional love here at all. Excepting God's remedy for sin through the Cross, understanding God's Love for us causes us to want to obey His Commandments, not out of conditional love, but because we have love in our hearts for Our Heavenly Father and like a child wants to please their parents, we want to please our Heavenly Father, because of our love for Him.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
Perhaps Ozell's post is a bit inaccurate. It should not state God's love as conditional as much as it should state God's covenant(s) as conditional. Everything He promises/declares/blesses onto us has conditions.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Perhaps Ozell's post is a bit inaccurate. It should not state God's love as conditional as much as it should state God's covenant(s) as conditional. Everything He promises/declares/blesses onto us has conditions.

yes thats more like it

The fact that he gave of himself to all mankind who did not even know God and who were members of pagan nations and people who practiced all sorts of sin shows that his love was unconditional

But to become members of the new covenant, these ones must meet certain requirements of that covenant. But his love remains unconditional which is why anyone can put faith in him for everlasting life.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

This truth evanom, must yield to tradition and popular preaching. In order to draw in even those who are not the chosen, many a sect has resorted to declaring this part of His nature over and above His Word. The essential message is lost in the clamor to "win souls to Christ", as if God has somehow resorted to placing His sovereign prerogative and choosing into the hands of more competent sources. Should not the Father draw, it is artificial and fancy. This is sad for those who are not the called and chosen, for their hope was dependent upon a falsehood and cliché, and when they awaken from death at His command, they will find what they thought was christian faith was merely an insurance policy that cannot redeem them.

While His love is unconditional, and He will reconcile all things on earth and in heaven, the life to come in His presence will be for the elect and called only. The rest will get their lives back, but not as the intensive luminaries we shall have become while under His direct influence and power for thousands of years. It is sad indeed.

fivesense

bling

May 5, 2009
I do not think of God's "Love" as being conditional, but our acceptance of His Love in the form of accepting God's forgiveness as "Charity" tthe way it was given. God does not want any of us to go to hell, but if we repeatedly refuse to accept God's Love there is no place in heaven where God's Love is not, so hell is the only place left.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I do not think of God's "Love" as being conditional, but our acceptance of His Love in the form of accepting God's forgiveness as "Charity" tthe way it was given. God does not want any of us to go to hell, but if we repeatedly refuse to accept God's Love there is no place in heaven where God's Love is not, so hell is the only place left.

But is hell a place void of God's love?

Reactions: truthquest

ozell

Jun 6, 2010
Someone mentioned being holy, one of God's condition for being holy is keeping his dietary law!

Lev 11:44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Lev 11:45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

46: This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:

47: To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Someone mentioned being holy, one of God's condition for being holy is keeping his dietary law!

Lev 11:44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Lev 11:45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

46: This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:

47: To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

How many people were sanctified and holy as a result?
smile.gif

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia

Hmmm?

What's meant by "............ "HOLY"?

Streetsweeper makes a good point in asking what's meant by holy. Holy is not a synonym of righteous. We might have a somewhat distorted definition of holy as something or someone that is good. But here's a quick definition by an online dictionary:

Holy
Set apart to the service or worship of God; hallowed; sacred; reserved from profane or common use; holy vessels; a holy priesthood.

So "holy" means set apart. For example: Kobe Bryant is holy..... onto the Lakers, that is. He shall no longer wear red as the Chicago Bulls do nor green as the Celtics. He shall no longer live in Texas nor train in Philadelphia. He will not sit and discuss strategy with the coaches of the Wizards or the Jazz. He is holy, set apart for the L.A. Lakers, for their exclusive use and purposes.

So are God's people; they are holy: set apart from the world and the ways of the world for GOd's exclusive use and purpose. That's why He brought them out of Egypt and cleared the land of Canaan; because they had to be holy, set apart from everyone else to show they were different and special.

So yes, dietary laws DO make us holy.... but they don't make us righteous! Eating pork is not a sin, but refraining from pork or shrimp is a sign onto the world that says we are different. It's just a sign, a signal. If Kobe Bryant wears red in a game, is not a crime, but it doesn;t distinguish him as a Laker.

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
Gods Love Is.

But one can only have eternal benefit from His love if one repents and accepts His will.

Just as the prodigal son had to come back to his dad with repentance.

His dad,s door was always going to be open for him, but the son had to get up and make the move back to his dad to have access to the benefits that flowed from his dad,s love.

Revelation 22
16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

So Gods love is only of benefit to those who come to Him. Those who will not come, will not benefit.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Gods Love Is.

But one can only have eternal benefit from His love if one repents and accepts His will.

Just as the prodigal son had to come back to his dad with repentance.

His dad,s door was always going to be open for him, but the son had to get up and make the move back to his dad to have access to the benefits that flowed from his dad,s love.

Revelation 22
16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

So Gods love is only of benefit to those who come to Him. Those who will not come, will not benefit.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Did Saul (Paul) come to Him?
smile.gif