KJV Only...which one!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In your account, they would all have to learn to speak modern day English in order to be able to read/understand God's breathed word, it seems. Not sure I'm making sense here, just wondering.
Actually the only requirement is that any translation in any language be based upon the traditional Masoretic Hebrew text and the traditional Greek Received Text (Textus Receptus). These are printed texts of the Bible since the 16th century.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Bible Highlighter,
Not too long back, I looked up some scripture in the 1611...and yes, it is strange to our modern day eyes, difficult to understand. I can see how it would get some to dig deeper and grow further in His word.
I want to study more the different King James Editions. I want to truly be an expert on the subject because it is like this big question mark for many believers. I know the article link I sent you explains the Cambridge 1900 KJB viewpoint, in how that there were 7 KJB editions lining up with the 7 purifications mentioned in Psalms 12:6-7, but I like to confirm the truth of things for myself.

You said:
2 Timothy 2:15 - "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
It’s a beautiful verse indeed. How true this verse is. One of my top favorite verses in Scripture that is butchered in Modern Version bibles. God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. If they only knew that God is commanding them to study study His Word to show themselves approved unto God.

You said:
So then, how to account for the Italian translation, or the German translation, or, Portuguese, any other language than English? In your account, they would all have to learn to speak modern day English in order to be able to read/understand God's breathed word, it seems.
The King James is available in other languages:

Textus Receptus in Spanish (RVG 2010):
https://www.amazon.com/Santa-Biblia-Rústica-Valera-Spanish/dp/0758907567/

King James Francais in French:
Bible King James Française | King James Française

Koning Jacobus Vertaling in Dutch:
http://www.koningjacobusvertaling.org/info_english.php

Bibelen Guds Ord in Norwegian:
http://www.hermon.no/netbibelen/

Thai King James Bible Version:
The Bible (พระคัมภีร์ไทย)

Korean King James Version:
https://www.amazon.com/Korean-English-Bible-Leather-Golden/dp/B005DPPENA/

Brazillian Portuguese (the BKJ):
Bíblia King James Fiel 1611

But even if this was not the case, was it fair of God that the Scriptures only existed in Hebrew at one time in history?
Was it fair of God for the Scriptures to only exist in the Greek at one point in history?
I think we forget that Jesus spoke in parables whereby many did not understand the meaning behind those parables at the time He spoke them. Also, the disciples had no idea what Jesus was talking about when He spoke of His death and resurrection before the cross. Jesus spoke cryptically of His death and resurrection with His disciples and He did not sit them down and explain things using hand puppets as to what was about to happen.

You said:
Sorry, have not looked at your video,

BibleProtector.com has some great videos in defending the KJB.
My all time favorite defender of the KJB is Will Kinney. He has a lot of answers.

His website is: Another King James Bible Believer

For example: If you want to see the Catholic connection to Modern Bibles, you can do a search for it like this at Google on his website like this:

full

AV1611.com is pretty good sometimes, too.

You said:
God bless and keep and, welcome to C.B.!

Thank you for the warm greetings to C.B.
I may possibly move over here from the C.F. Forums because the “KJB Only discussion” has been banned entirely on their forums just recently because of my passionate defense on the topic (Note: They did not ban me). Anyways, I strive to always speak in love and respect (even on this topic) but they believe the topic is divisive (regardless).

But Jesus said He comes not to bring peace, but a sword.

So truth at times can be naturally divisive.

In any event, thank you for your kind words; May the Lord Jesus (GOD) bless you all the more.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is something a friend on FB shared. I knew there was a difference between the 2 different versions but did not realize there were this many. The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.

"ANSWERING KJV ONLY PEOPLE
Consider this to start with; if one must have all the words of the original and only the words of the original, in one book, to be able to call that book the word of God, what shall we say to the fact that not only do no two hand-written Greek or Hebrew manuscripts agree with each other 100% (including no two editions of the Textus Receptus), no two editions of the King James Version agree perfectly either? The first edition of the KJV appeared in 1611. However, the KJV used widely today is the 1769 Benjamin Blayney revision. The fact is, unless your KJV contains the Apocrypha and spells Jew as ‘Iewe’ and cattle as ‘cattell’, you do not have a 1611 KJV! As for the italics, in Matthew’s Gospel alone, the 1769 KJV has 315 more uses of italics than the 1611 edition. Did you know that the 1769 KJV differs from the 1611 edition in a total of 75,000 details, 421 of which are noticeable to the ear when read aloud? It is true that most of these involve adjustments to archaic spelling, the correction of printing errors and the more regular use of italics — and about 72% of the noticeable textual changes had been made by 1638, only 27 years after the KJV was first published. However, the following are examples of corrections that were not made until 1762, over 150 years after the KJV was first published. These do not involve corrections of spelling or printing errors
Use them all Nancy. If you know anything about language translation you will understand that in many cases a sentence or paragraph can be rendered in several ways.....that includes words as well.
The objective is to get the message the the original texts intended. Now, of course if there is a particular barrow to push folk will make a great deal about which translation.....I'm sure you know about that. I disregard it.....checking a few gives perspective.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I want to study more the different King James Editions. I want to truly be an expert on the subject because it is like this big question mark for many believers. I know the article link I sent you explains the Cambridge 1900 KJB viewpoint, in how that there were 7 KJB editions lining up with the 7 purifications mentioned in Psalms 12:6-7, but I like to confirm the truth of things for myself.

It’s a beautiful verse indeed. How true this verse is. One of my top favorite verses in Scripture that is butchered in Modern Version bibles. God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. If they only knew that God is commanding them to study study His Word to show themselves approved unto God.

The King James is available in other languages:

Textus Receptus in Spanish (RVG 2010):
https://www.amazon.com/Santa-Biblia-Rústica-Valera-Spanish/dp/0758907567/

King James Francais in French:
Bible King James Française | King James Française

Koning Jacobus Vertaling in Dutch:
http://www.koningjacobusvertaling.org/info_english.php

Bibelen Guds Ord in Norwegian:
http://www.hermon.no/netbibelen/

Thai King James Bible Version:
The Bible (พระคัมภีร์ไทย)

Korean King James Version:
https://www.amazon.com/Korean-English-Bible-Leather-Golden/dp/B005DPPENA/

Brazillian Portuguese (the BKJ):
Bíblia King James Fiel 1611

But even if this was not the case, was it fair of God that the Scriptures only existed in Hebrew at one time in history?
Was it fair of God for the Scriptures to only exist in the Greek at one point in history?
I think we forget that Jesus spoke in parables whereby many did not understand the meaning behind those parables at the time He spoke them. Also, the disciples had no idea what Jesus was talking about when He spoke of His death and resurrection before the cross. Jesus spoke cryptically of His death and resurrection with His disciples and He did not sit them down and explain things using hand puppets as to what was about to happen.

BibleProtector.com has some great videos in defending the KJB.
My all time favorite defender of the KJB is Will Kinney. He has a lot of answers.

His website is: Another King James Bible Believer

For example: If you want to see the Catholic connection to Modern Bibles, you can do a search for it like this at Google on his website like this:

full

AV1611.com is pretty good sometimes, too.

Thank you for the warm greetings to C.B.
I may possibly move over here from the C.F. Forums because the “KJB Only discussion” has been banned entirely on their forums just recently because of my passionate defense on the topic (Note: They did not ban me). Anyways, I strive to always speak in love and respect (even on this topic) but they believe the topic is divisive (regardless).

But Jesus said He comes not to bring peace, but a sword.

So truth at times can be naturally divisive.

In any event, thank you for your kind words; May the Lord Jesus (GOD) bless you all the more.
Amen.

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is something a friend on FB shared. I knew there was a difference between the 2 different versions but did not realize there were this many. The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.

"ANSWERING KJV ONLY PEOPLE
Consider this to start with; if one must have all the words of the original and only the words of the original, in one book, to be able to call that book the word of God, what shall we say to the fact that not only do no two hand-written Greek or Hebrew manuscripts agree with each other 100% (including no two editions of the Textus Receptus), no two editions of the King James Version agree perfectly either? The first edition of the KJV appeared in 1611. However, the KJV used widely today is the 1769 Benjamin Blayney revision. The fact is, unless your KJV contains the Apocrypha and spells Jew as ‘Iewe’ and cattle as ‘cattell’, you do not have a 1611 KJV! As for the italics, in Matthew’s Gospel alone, the 1769 KJV has 315 more uses of italics than the 1611 edition. Did you know that the 1769 KJV differs from the 1611 edition in a total of 75,000 details, 421 of which are noticeable to the ear when read aloud? It is true that most of these involve adjustments to archaic spelling, the correction of printing errors and the more regular use of italics — and about 72% of the noticeable textual changes had been made by 1638, only 27 years after the KJV was first published. However, the following are examples of corrections that were not made until 1762, over 150 years after the KJV was first published. These do not involve corrections of spelling or printing errors

Think about what I am saying before anyone goes off!!!
Our English Bibles is not the Word of God... It is a translation of the original word of God so are the many other different English translations and German, French, Spanish, Korean, Chinese etc etc they are translations there is only one WORD OF GOD!!! The Hebrew scriptures.
Just like classic books are translated into other languages they are not the original. So of course their will be differences as well as translation bias.

The Bible is still the number 1 selling book in the world, which is great in one sense but in another creates issues as that means $$$$ so sadly rather than accuracy many publishers today print what sells, what is the latest flavor.

Look at the passion translation for goodness sake a popular TRANSLATION among many mega churches. It has the NT, Psalms, Proverbs, Songs of Songs.

What about Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy the prophets. Ah well we can just forget about the whole beginning leave out the creation account, oh we don't need to know about the prophets.

It is an absolute disgrace.

Many many people have been totally deceived. Wake up!!!

Shalom

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our English Bibles is not the Word of God... It is a translation of the original word of God so are the many other different English translations and German, French, Spanish, Korean, Chinese etc etc they are translations there is only one WORD OF GOD!!! The Hebrew scriptures.
Just like classic books are translated into other languages they are not the original. So of course their will be differences as well as translation bias.

The Bible is still the number 1 selling book in the world, which is great in one sense but in another creates issues as that means $$$$ so sadly rather than accuracy many publishers today print what sells, what is the latest flavor.

Look at the passion translation for goodness sake a popular TRANSLATION among many mega churches. It has the NT, Psalms, Proverbs, Songs of Songs.

What about Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy the prophets. Ah well we can just forget about the whole beginning leave out the creation account, oh we don't need to know about the prophets.

Shalom
It might surprise you that none of the synagogues prior to early church history had all the copies of the Old Testament. Different Synagogues had different portions of the scriptures. None had the complete compendium. It was not until the Christians pressed the Jews to actually declare which and how any scrolls belonged to their sacred writings. These writings were not compiled by the religious Jews till early in Christian History.

So, all the song and dance about different translations and what books were compiled by some translators is just a red herring and another matter to divide and introduce conflict within Christian circles.

What you call a disgrace is just short vision on your part.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.
Although I prefer the NIV and NASB because those are in the language I think and speak in, certain verses I'll ALWAYS remember in the KJV wording, like the 23rd Psalm or John 3:16.

(If I start putting a 'th' at the end of verbs like "believeth" in normal conversation, you should probably take my car keys and call an Uber to take me home, 'cuz I've had too much to drink.)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol@lambano. :D
There’s only one verse that ever sent me into giggles when I first read it.
Lord, by this time he stinketh
sorry, just being honest, it made me laugh. Partly, because of just the words but also partly because I pictured her fussing and flapping around with a big can of Lysol.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol@lambano. :D
sorry, just being honest, it made me laugh. Partly, because of just the words but also partly because I pictured her fussing and flapping around with a big can of Lysol.
:D I'd forgotten about that verse!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Shalom

I wouldn’t go off, but I would feel bit of sorrow a little because a fellow believer is not believing Psalms 12:6-7, Proverbs 30:5-6, 1 Peter 1:23-25, and Matthew 24:35. If we were to read these verses like a child and just believe them plainly, we would conclude that God’s Word exists somewhere on the planet perfectly somewhere in one form or another.

In the Bible: We can see a pattern of God preserving copies of His Word, and not the original autographs.

(a) Moses destroyed the original 10 Commandments on tablets of stone (the original autograph) (Exodus 32:19), and yet a copy was perfectly made to replace it (Exodus 34:1-4).

(b) King Jehoiakim burns the scroll of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 36:22-23), but God had Jeremiah make another copy (Jeremiah 36:27-28).

(c) Proverbs 25:1 says, “These are also proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out.” (Proverbs 25:1).​

In the New Testament, Philip heard the Ethiopian eunuch read from a manuscript of Isaiah.

“And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?” (Acts of the Apostles 8:30).

Although Scripture does not specifically say this was a copy of Isaiah, and not the original autograph of Isaiah, logic dictates that the most plausible explanation is that the Ethiopian eunuch had a copy of a manuscript of Isaiah (and not the original). For the odds of him just happening to have the original would seem highly unlikely.

Philip calls this copy of Isaiah he possessed as Scripture.

“Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.” (Acts of the Apostles 8:35).​

2 Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture is given by inspiration of God.
So the copy of this Scripture was inspired by God.

So the belief of “Originals Onlyism (i.e. Original Manuscripts Were Perfect Only)” that says that we need to look to the original autograph or manuscript because it is perfect, and the copies are flawed and full of errors is unbiblical - IMHO (in my humble opinion). Believers in God's Word can trust that God has preserved a copy of His Word for us today that is perfect (Which would be consistent in the way God operates involving the preservation of His Word). This then leads us to conclude that there must be a perfect Bible that we can find today.

In addition, doctrine that is important has been changed, as well. A simple side by side comparison between the KJB (Textus Receptus) vs. Modern Translations (Alexandria, Egypt Bibles) will tell a person this.

You can check out the changed doctrine here.
(Note: One doctrine that is falsely taught in certain Modern Bibles is the demi-god Jesus viewpoint in that Jesus is a second created God; See John 1:18. Some Modern bibles say begotten God when it should say begotten Son. In Micah 5:2, it talks about the Messiah and in the KJB it says Jesus is from everlasting but in some Modern bibles it changes this to “distant past” etcetera).

You can check out the changed commands here.

The devil’s name is placed in Modern Bibles where they do not belong, too.
You can check that out here.

In addition, Modern Textual Critics (i.e. Bible scholars who followed in the footsteps of Westcott and Hort changing the Bible (or the Received Text or KJB), had lost their voice - which ties into the warning in Revelation 22:18-19 that says not to add or take away from the prophecy of this book (Note: Modern bibles take away and add words even in the book of Revelation). Five scholars lost their voice. A sixth scholar (Don Wilkins) on the John Ankerberg show for a few seconds lost his voice temporarily when basically asked if Textual Critics had lost their voice. The John Ankerberg show re-taped over the scene (for obvious embarrassment) but later decided to admit with Dr. James White in their article that it happened (no doubt because it would blow up in their face if somebody squealed).

In this article on Ankerberg: They are misrepresentative about what happened in that it was a question asked from Gail Riplinger’s book. But the point of the question asked from her book (Which they misrepresent) is that Dr. Wilkins (Who can see laughing because he was re-asked this question after having lost his voice for five seconds from the previous taping).
The View from Marrs: Did Dr. Don Wilkins Really Lose His Voice on a Taping of The John Ankerberg Show on the New Translations? - JA Show Articles

The proof is in this video where you can see Dr. Wilkins smiling when asked if anyone lost his voice. But the article is false in that it says this, I quote:

“Ankerberg’s question was to ask Wilkins about the credibility of Riplinger’s book. So Marrs has distorted the context as well.”

But that’s not what we see in the actual video taped segment here:

Check out the video at the 51 second mark (When Dr. Don Wilkins is asked the question on others losing their voices). Dr. Don Wilkins lost his voice briefly for 5 seconds when asked if Textual Modern scholars lost their voice (but it was taped over and we only see him laughing). For it’s why he laughed when asked a second time (Because they re-taped over the segment where he did lose his voice for 5 seconds). They say in the article that he did not lose his voice but he did for 5 seconds. For 5 seconds he could not speak.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy

I don't mind corrections when all the words and verses are there. What I take issue with is in the modern versions that used the Alexandrian codices, by leaving out key words, the whole meaning of the verse is altered. And in their margins they write that it is the translations like the KJV that added words, when in reality (seeing as church fathers quoted those 'added' words (???) before the Alexandrian codices were created, it is more likely the Alexandrians subtracted words to fit some doctrine they had issue with (like the Trinity).

KJV (King James Version)

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

NASB (New American Standard Bible

1 John 5:7 For there are three that testify:

Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Hey sister,
Yes, I do find these things when looking at several translation against the KJV. The only reason it is my go to, mostly for Psalms and Proverbs is because I think in KJ and remember scriptures easily.
I only pray that God will, despite men, make our bibles match the intensity of our hearts towards Him, and that He will make clear to us what He is talking about.

I know the rest of the NASB verse you quoted has something very different :"8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."

It doesn't make sense and the KJV does. And I am with you on believing that some men did these things to fit their doctrine...oh how they will pay dearly!
BTW-do you have a 1611 KJV?

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I prefer the NIV and NASB because those are in the language I think and speak in, certain verses I'll ALWAYS remember in the KJV wording, like the 23rd Psalm or John 3:16.

(If I start putting a 'th' at the end of verbs like "believeth" in normal conversation, you should probably take my car keys and call an Uber to take me home, 'cuz I've had too much to drink.)
Lol, yer funeee! I only think and remember the verses better...don't talk that way unless telling one of my dogs to "Letteth go thou mine sock", or, something like that :D

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol@lam bano. :D
Ahahaha! Yeah, me too, was so funny first time reading that.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey sister,
Yes, I do find these things when looking at several translation against the KJV. The only reason it is my go to, mostly for Psalms and Proverbs is because I think in KJ and remember scriptures easily.
I only pray that God will, despite men, make our bibles match the intensity of our hearts towards Him, and that He will make clear to us what He is talking about.

I know the rest of the NASB verse you quoted has something very different :"8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."

It doesn't make sense and the KJV does. And I am with you on believing that some men did these things to fit their doctrine...oh how they will pay dearly!
BTW-do you have a 1611 KJV?

I am thinking of getting the 1611 KJB facsimile at the KJV Bookstore.

1611 King James Bible - Regular Facsimile Edition

The price is a $150.00. So it’s not way outside the budget although it is still pricey.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am thinking of getting the 1611 KJB facsimile at the KJV Bookstore.

1611 King James Bible - Regular Facsimile Edition

The price is a $150.00. So it’s not way outside the budget although it is still pricey.

What I've been doing is getting it on Biblegateway or Biblehub. I've been listening to the "regular" KJV as both these sites have audio AND dramatized as well, going to see if the 1611 one is available on audio...should sound interesting, lol. Plus it is free! Thanks for the info though.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I've been doing is getting it on Biblegateway or Biblehub. I've been listening to the "regular" KJV as both these sites have audio AND dramatized as well, going to see if the 1611 one is available on audio...should sound interesting, lol. Plus it is free! Thanks for the info though.
I get those sites as well. Easy to search for scripture that way. I read the KJV as it is kinda, what is the word, dressed up like how we should go to church. The language reminds me of that. I know that's not the reality, but I see it that way. I trust the interpreter and the bible makes good sense. I've looked at other translations and sometimes the meaning is lost and the bible doesn't feel right to me.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come up with a hundred plus reasons for the King James Bible being the pure Word of God for today.
I have come up with approximately 6.45 billion reasons that it is very likely that the Authorized Version is not exclusively inspired--all of them flesh-and-blood, non-English-speaking and, apparently, illegitimate children of God. ;)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you tried the YouVersion Bible app? You can read and listen at the same time without even having to scroll manually! I'm trying to read the entire Bible in a month, with an included chronological reading plan! I just have to cover 12 days worth of readings each day which really doesn't take that long. You can adjust the speed, and I comprehend better when audio is faster than normal, so it only takes about an hour per day!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, I know there is a free version online, but a physical version would push me more to use it.

Here is the the original 1611 KJB online:

GENESIS CHAPTER 1  (ORIGINAL 1611 KJV)

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy