Name of the Body of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
Question- What is the name of the Body of Christ? I have used the word "Church" for a great many of years. However, I have been confused about the word since I started studying the original text in Greek and Hebrew. The universal business language at the time the Second Covenant epistles were written was an ancient Greek dialect. However, the author's were Hebrews. They were writing to people who spoke Greek or mostly gentile audiences. Hence they sent a letter that could be understood by more people. Moreover, they still talked and understood in the context and culture of the Hebrews. So when they wrote letters, the Greek letter was actually a translation of Hebrew thoughts and intentions. The Hebrew culture, biases, and history were in mind when they wrote in Greek. Therefore the Greek culture, context, and biases should not trump those of the Hebrews. Consequently, the understanding should be always from that of the Hebrew. The Hebrew language was almost dead at this time because the common populous spoke Aramaic. Only the religious caste spoke Hebrew frequently in order to teach and study Scripture. So writing letters in Greek to the cultures of Asia Minor and Greece (former Greek colonies and cities) was the efficient and smart thing to do. Unlike the Pharisees who wanted to control information by not teaching the masses Hebrew. So when see words like church what does it really mean? What is the Hebrew equivalent for this word "church". It is used a few times in the New Testament in various settings. People assigned many meanings to it, but all these are from the Greek setting and context. Is that what the Hebrew writers had in mind? Ekklesia-a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly a. an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating b. the assembly of the Israelites c. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously d. in a Christian sense 1. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting 2. a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake Mt 16:18 -And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Mt 18:17 - And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Ro 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: 1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: I believe the proper context for the word church is to say congregation or synague which matches all these definitions and it has a Hebrew equivalent. What is the Hebrew equivalent for the word church. Mow`ed- appointed place, appointed time, meeting edah- congregation, gathering Qahal- assembly, company, congregation, convocation Hence I believe the name is of Hebrew origins given Romans 2 and 11. Romans 2:28, 2928For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God. Romans 11 illustrates that there are two olive trees, one tamed and cultivated and the other wild and uncultivated. Tamed tree is the tree of Israel. The untamed tree symbolizes the gentile. The unbelieving Jews were cut off of the tamed tree and thrown on the grown. The believing gentiles were cut off the wild olive tree and grafted onto the tamed olive tree. Hence gentiles are grafted onto the existing Jewish tree. Hence the gentiles are no longer associated or identified with their old tree, but have assumed the identity of their new tree. Ro 11:13-24 -13For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in." 20Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, F58 if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree? Every time we say the church is the body of Christ, I think we as gentiles are boasting against the original branches of the tamed tree Israel. What we called THE Church does not have a separate or distinct identity. Its identity is defined by its grafting onto the tamed tree of Spiritual Israel. Hence that is the proper name for the Body of Christ, Spiritual Israel. What do you think? Are there two still two trees of God? I am being deceived by coming to this conclusion? Why do Christians claim to be their own tree?

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(manichunter;53389)
Question- What is the name of the Body of Christ? I have used the word "Church" for a great many of years. However, I have been confused about the word since I started studying the original text in Greek and Hebrew. The universal business language at the time the Second Covenant epistles were written was an ancient Greek dialect. However, the author's were Hebrews. They were writing to people who spoke Greek or mostly gentile audiences. Hence they sent a letter that could be understood by more people. Moreover, they still talked and understood in the context and culture of the Hebrews. So when they wrote letters, the Greek letter was actually a translation of Hebrew thoughts and intentions. The Hebrew culture, biases, and history were in mind when they wrote in Greek. Therefore the Greek culture, context, and biases should not trump those of the Hebrews. Consequently, the understanding should be always from that of the Hebrew. The Hebrew language was almost dead at this time because the common populous spoke Aramaic. Only the religious caste spoke Hebrew frequently in order to teach and study Scripture. So writing letters in Greek to the cultures of Asia Minor and Greece (former Greek colonies and cities) was the efficient and smart thing to do. Unlike the Pharisees who wanted to control information by not teaching the masses Hebrew. So when see words like church what does it really mean? What is the Hebrew equivalent for this word "church". It is used a few times in the New Testament in various settings. People assigned many meanings to it, but all these are from the Greek setting and context. Is that what the Hebrew writers had in mind? Ekklesia-a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly a. an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating b. the assembly of the Israelites c. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously d. in a Christian sense 1. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting 2. a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake Mt 16:18 -And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Mt 18:17 - And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Ro 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: 1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: I believe the proper context for the word church is to say congregation or synague which matches all these definitions and it has a Hebrew equivalent. What is the Hebrew equivalent for the word church. Mow`ed- appointed place, appointed time, meeting edah- congregation, gathering Qahal- assembly, company, congregation, convocation Hence I believe the name is of Hebrew origins given Romans 2 and 11. Romans 2:28, 2928For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God. Romans 11 illustrates that there are two olive trees, one tamed and cultivated and the other wild and uncultivated. Tamed tree is the tree of Israel. The untamed tree symbolizes the gentile. The unbelieving Jews were cut off of the tamed tree and thrown on the grown. The believing gentiles were cut off the wild olive tree and grafted onto the tamed olive tree. Hence gentiles are grafted onto the existing Jewish tree. Hence the gentiles are no longer associated or identified with their old tree, but have assumed the identity of their new tree. Ro 11:13-24 -13For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in." 20Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, F58 if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree? Every time we say the church is the body of Christ, I think we as gentiles are boasting against the original branches of the tamed tree Israel. What we called THE Church does not have a separate or distinct identity. Its identity is defined by its grafting onto the tamed tree of Spiritual Israel. Hence that is the proper name for the Body of Christ, Spiritual Israel. What do you think? Are there two still two trees of God? I am being deceived by coming to this conclusion? Why do Christians claim to be their own tree?
manichunter, You are correct about a name of the Body of Christ called Spiritual Israel, but there are several other names for the Body of Christ. The Bride of Christ is one,Jesus being the Bridegroom, John 3:28-30, Rev 21:1,2. Rev 19:6-9 is the actual description of the Marriage of the Lamb. The marriage takes place just before Armageddon, which starts at the 11th verse and goes to the 21 verse. The Anointed is another. Only a small number are to be anointed with Holy Spirit,the same as Jesus was The Anointed, Matt 3:16,17, Acts 4:26-28, 1Cor 1:21, 1John 2:20.27. Adopted as God's sons,is another, Rom 8:14-16,23, Eph 1:5. They are called Jesus' BROTHERS, because of being adopted by God, into His Household, John 20:17, Matt 12:47-50, 25:40, 28:10, Epe 2:19-22, 1Tim 3:15. Children of God is another,John 1:12, 1John 3:1,,2,10 Born , not from flesh,but from God,Born Again,John 1:13, 3:5-8, 1John 2:29,1John 3:9. Little Flock is another, Luke 12:32. Sealed ones is another, 1Cor 1:22, Rev 6:11, 7:3,4, Eph 1:13. Firstfruits is another, Rom 8:23, James 1:18, Rev 14:4. They are called Inheritors, who inherit the Kingdom, The Holy Ones, Eph 1:18, John 3:3,5, 1Cor 15:50, Dan 7:17,18,22,27, Rom 8:16,17. The ones that Conquer, Rev 2:11,17,2:26,27, 3:5. They take part in the FIRST RESURRECTION, Rev 2:11, 20:4-6. Kings and Priests is another, Rev 20:4-6, Rev 5:9,10, Luke 22:28-30, Matt 19:28.