Objective of the Entire Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In your extensive studies of both the Old and New Testament, is there a passage, or a set of consecutive passages, that best expresses the point and purpose of the entire Bible?

All are welcome to offer what you believe are the single most important passages of the Bible. But there is a “rule” to follow: You can mix and match between Old Testament and New Testament, or even between books and letters. For example, many might choose John 3:16, or in my case, I would offer Colossians 2:9-15 as the Core Message of the Bible.

But . . . what do [you] think? What is the most important passage, or consecutive passages, that best puts the entire Bible into proper perspective?

Reactions: WaterSong

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this which may very close:

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" John 17:21-22

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the most important passage, or consecutive passages, that best puts the entire Bible into proper perspective?
2 Timothy 3:16,17 (KJV) sums it up quite well:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" John 17:21-22

Amadeus, I've just discovered this passage and start at 20 and end at 23. It fits perfectly with the lesson that the life long process we Christians go through is not sanctification as has been erroneously taught to overcome sin through self-effort, but glorification, becoming more and more in the image of Christ through the empowering of the Spirit of Christ living in us.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus, I've just discovered this passage and start at 20 and end at 23. It fits perfectly with the lesson that the life long process we Christians go through is not sanctification as has been erroneously taught to overcome sin through self-effort, but glorification, becoming more and more in the image of Christ through the empowering of the Spirit of Christ living in us.
Even so Sister! Everyone should be heading in that direction, but of course, everyone is not. God wants us there, but He wants us to really choose to be there. We are born to our mothers a very selfish lot although at first it may be for simple survival's sake as the flesh of us moved forward a whole lot of real selfishness came into play.

Jesus was completely selfless in his life as a man of flesh. Too many people are in this walk more for the loaves and fishes [as in never ending life and magnificent living quarters] rather simply because they really love God. The love for God cannot ultimately be 2nd to anything else.

How many will be like the rich young ruler who being obedient to the commandments could not shed his material riches?

How many will be like Abraham who was willing to sacrifice the life of his beloved son?

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In your extensive studies of both the Old and New Testament, is there a passage, or a set of consecutive passages, that best expresses the point and purpose of the entire Bible?
Yes. this:

Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.​

From the SoP/ToJ side:

“... The central theme of the Bible, the theme about which every other in the whole book clusters, is the redemption plan, the restoration in the human soul of the image of God. From the first intimation of hope in the sentence pronounced in Eden to that last glorious promise of the Revelation, “They shall see His face; and His name shall be in their foreheads” (Revelation 22:4), the burden of every book and every passage of the Bible is the unfolding of this wondrous theme,—man’s uplifting,—the power of God, “which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 15:57. ...” – Education (1903); page 125.2

“...Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ’s agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,—subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death,—it is said that “His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.” “In all their affliction He was afflicted: ... and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old.” Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9. ...” – Education (1903); page 263.1

“... The officers who were sent to take Jesus reported that never man spake like this man. But the reason of this was that never man lived like this man; for if he had not so lived, he could not so have spoken. His words bore with them a convincing power, because they came from a heart pure and holy, full of love and sympathy, beneficence and truth. There is eloquence beyond that of words, in the quiet, consistent life of a pure, true Christian. We shall have temptations as long as we are in this world, but instead of injuring us, they will only turn to our advantage, if resisted. The bounds are placed where Satan cannot pass. He may prepare the furnace, but instead of working injury, it will only consume the dross, and bring forth the gold of the character, purer than before the trial. ...” – Gospel Workers (1892); page 244.1

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil

All are welcome to offer what you believe are the single most important passages of the Bible. But there is a “rule” to follow: You can mix and match between Old Testament and New Testament, or even between books and letters. For example, many might choose John 3:16, or in my case, I would offer Colossians 2:9-15 as the Core Message of the Bible.

But . . . what do [you] think? What is the most important passage, or consecutive passages, that best puts the entire Bible into proper perspective?

We understand and preach that Scriptures -the Bible- is the Word of God, and the Word is God. The Word - God - has not beginning neither ending. JESUS - God - is the beginning and the ending, the Almighty-Revelation 1:v.8. That said, then Bible, the Holy Scriptures, is God.

If we really love the Word of God as is written in the book of the LORD, the Bible, and keep in our heart, and confirm the Word of God, then God is in our heart, right? And we can be one in God and in His Son JESUS Christ, and be also temple of the Holy Spirit, right? For there are three bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word-Word made flesh, and the Holy Spirit: and these three are One.
1 John 5:v.7

God - the Word - said through the prophet Isaiah: Isaiah 45:v.5-8
5 I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the heavens pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the Lord have created it.

I have study more deeply the Word of God, as Daniel did in Babylon, for example, trying to understand and interpret
"the mystery of God that will be finished/consummated , as he hath declared to his servants the prophets" - Revelation 10:v.7.

Ephesians 1:v.3-4
3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, and agreeing with my friend amadeus as to what he posted, that Objective of John 17 started in Genesis 3 by the bible first prophet, God himself, Genesis 3:15 "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." we got to be BORN Again.

PICJAG

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, and agreeing with my friend Amadeus as to what he posted, that Objective of John 17 started in Genesis 3 by the bible first prophet, God himself, Genesis 3:15 "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." we got to be BORN Again.

PICJAG

Agreed. We must be born again . . . the single most important event that takes place in the life of a person. Is there a passage, or set of passages, that describes this "Work"? How, exactly, does one become Born Again, or, Saved?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That works for me!

:)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. We must be born again . . . the single most important event that takes place in the life of a person. Is there a passage, or set of passages, that describes this "Work"? How, exactly, does one become Born Again, or, Saved?
Romans 10:6 "But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)"
Romans 10:7 "Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)"
Romans 10:8 "But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"
Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Romans 10:10 "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
Romans 10:11 "For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

for God had already told us, Joel 2:32 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call."

and "deliverance" here is "SALVATION".

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:6 "But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)"
Romans 10:7 "Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)"
Romans 10:8 "But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"
Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Romans 10:10 "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
Romans 10:11 "For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."

for God had already told us, Joel 2:32 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call."

and "deliverance" here is "SALVATION".

PICJAG

I hear what you're saying, but who can "call upon the name of the Lord"? Young Saul, later known as the Apostle Paul, did not call upon the Lord. What happened to Saul? Why was he Saved if he was on his way to not only persecute, but perhaps continue to murder Christians? Did Paul call upon the name of Jesus?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear what you're saying, but who can "call upon the name of the Lord"?
it's in you to hear the call, yes that seed, which was planted in all of us at birth, is in all of us, no matter how wicked/evil we become... (smile). but when we leave home on our own, we're too busy "SINNING" in the world, or......... while in church, to hear God's call, as was with the young Saul, then later name Paul.

now Paul's calling was not only to salvation, but to the ministry. understand all of us have been taught right from wrong by our parents. and sonner or later we all will get tired of the world, and you and the world will eventually get a divorce. as my mother, and I'm sure your mother and many more gave us good advice, mine was, "you're going out into the world, but always remember you can always come back to the church, meaning God". that always stuck with me, and I'm sure your parents and many more was told something along these lines.

so some come to God on his call, and some the devil be wipping their backside so bad ... run back to the church. so either way one get back to church, "SAFETY" in Lord Jesus is guaranteed, and above all, SALVATION is "FREE". it cost nothing.

one other thing, even the worest criminal,,, meaning spiritual, when trouble hits, the first thing out of their mouth... "Lord have mercy", and it's automatic. because someone, if not his, or her parents, a uncle, aunt, grandmother, or even a friend, has spoken to them about God, directly or indirectly, they know God, or rather heard of him. so don't worry, when God calls you, or whoever, you will respond, that's why the old folk as I an now prayed for their and other's children, until they come home to "CHURCH", safety.

hoped that helped.

PICJAG

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord is our hope , our shield and our strength . No matter what we go through HE is with us . Let us honor HIM and praise Him with much thanksgiving .
This life is truly but a vapor . One day life as we know it will be over . Where one spends eternity will truly be all that matters .
In JESUS is this hope and the Only hope for this wonderful eternal life IS in Christ .
Let us cling to Him . Let us be refreshed daily in scriptures . Exhorting one another . Jesus told peter to FEED my Sheep . Peter would years later
say the same thing to the elders he wrote the letter too . Feed the flock among you . Our whole hope lies in JESUS alone . Let us thank God continually .
Being hearers and doers of the Word . Being faithful to HE who has saved us . Let us focus more than ever on the things of GOD , and the HOPE we have at HIS COMING .
The faith that seemed to please JESUS , i notice it several times in the gospels . And each one knew and thought they were not even worthy for HIM .
Like that one man , said I am not even worthy for you to come under my roof ,
Like the lady who had a daughter vexed by the devil , she says , oh yes Lord , but even the dogs eat the crumbs which fall from the childrens table .
Even john , Who knew HE was not even worthy to unstrap the latchet of JESUS Shoe .
Let us simply be thankful , thankful unto HE who has saved us . Clinging to His every word , To the Comforter and looking out for one another .
I Feel so sad for so many . I also feel sad when i see these folks just fighting all the time over these politics . Our hope is in Christ .
If anything let us pray folks repent . Let us focus on the REAL HOPE we have . WHICH IS ETERNAL LIFE , WHICH IS IN JESUS .
Life can be over in an instant . Where one spends eternity , they wont be wishing or hoping in anything of this world . Many will be tormented for ever
And lambs will enjoy eternal life forever . But time is running out . It truly is . NO one even knows if this is their last day on earth either .
We must look out for one another and always be thanking the LORD . Exhorting on pure doctrine . Stirring one another up by way of remembrance .
The hope is not on this earth . HE IS IN HEAVEN . AND HE WILL come for the lambs one day . ON HIS day many are gonna wail . This is truth .
They gonna wail , wishing they had truly known Him . But too late it will be . The time to point to JESUS is now . Time for prayers
and time for all biblical reminders is now . For one day its too late and will be too late for many .
Les is making rounds . That does make my soul happy . I enjoy sisters gems she brings too . Makes my soul real happy .
WE truly have so much hope and so much to be thankful for IN CHRIST . And yes some serious hard times will be coming . BUT EVEN THEN HE WILL BE WITH US .
Let all endure faithful unto the end . Having all hope above on Christ .