Paradigm...HOW we think

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How we think as opposed to what we think affects what we hear and see and feel.
The how factor is determined by the influences in upbringing, by culture, by education.

How critically informs us and is done mostly in the unconscious. To use a very basic example;
a person stands with their arms folded at a party. They can either be cold, displeased, insecure....or they might have two broken arms :) How one sees that determines response.

Compliment or offence not only resides in the person giving it but also in the person receiving it.
A compliment can be given yet seen as manipulative. An offence can be given yet be received as water off a ducks back.

When it comes to Scripture an additional layer is added. The earliest Scripture was written 2000 yrs ago in a culture far removed from current Western culture......let alone writings which belong to the Hebrew (Jewish) collection....which go back considerably further.

There is every reason to be mindful of this and get some understanding of how people saw so that we do not spin off on an incorrect assumption when we read......which, might I add is easy to do.

Jesus tells us to be careful how we hear. Luke 8:18 Mark 4:24

Thank you for hearing this angle.

Reactions: Rita and Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m about to finish reading The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible, written by Scot McKnight.

It’s not comfortable reading but it will challenge the reader to reconsider how he or she reads the Bible. That, in itself, isn’t a bad thing. I think he makes some very good points.

However, I advise caution.

“That was then, and this is now.”- p. 57

The author calls these seven words “the secret to reading the Bible.”

I call it something else, and will leave it at that.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’m about to finish reading The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible, written by Scot McKnight.

It’s not comfortable reading but it will challenge the reader to reconsider how he or she reads the Bible. That, in itself, isn’t a bad thing. I think he makes some very good points.

However, I advise caution.

“That was then, and this is now.”- p. 57

The author calls these seven words “the secret to reading the Bible.”

I call it something else, and will leave it at that.
We (Christians) are so programmed to think in the how by those teaching us. We don't even know it is happening until it is brought to our attention.

Denominationally Catholics have a paradigm let's say that Protestants with a strong reformation background don't. Protestants in general are divided amongst themselves as to how they see. We won't even go into other cultures and religions.

Jesus saw in ways that stumped most and so in order to communicate he used stories and parables that could be taken away and chewed on. Speaking to them directly, ie without using metaphors (parables and stories) was mostly beyond their ability to comprehend. It is so with us today also......unless we lock onto his paradigm like a heat seeking missile.
This, the disciples did....particularly after the resurrection. Prior to the resurrection they also were 'winging' it and the penny didn't drop for them till they saw him resurrected.....and after that Jesus hung around another forty days helping them to join the dots.

Reactions: Matthias

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We (Christians) are so programmed to think in the how by those teaching us. We don't even know it is happening until it is brought to our attention.

Denominationally Catholics have a paradigm let's say that Protestants with a strong reformation background don't. Protestants in general are divided amongst themselves as to how they see. We won't even go into other cultures and religions.

Jesus saw in ways that stumped most and so in order to communicate he used stories and parables that could be taken away and chewed on. Speaking to them directly, ie without using metaphors (parables and stories) was mostly beyond their ability to comprehend. It is so with us today also......unless we lock onto his paradigm like a heat seeking missile.
This, the disciples did....particularly after the resurrection. Prior to the resurrection they also were 'winging' it and the penny didn't drop for them till they saw him resurrected.....and after that Jesus hung around another forty days helping them to join the dots.
I would love to have been around for those 40 days, before the cross they were expecting a physical victory and release from captivity, they had to learn about a whole new type of victory , and so much more……..

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would love to have been around for those 40 days, before the cross they were expecting a physical victory and release from captivity, they had to learn about a whole new type of victory , and so much more……..
yes, the how transformed them......a power never had prior.