Questions About Christian Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michiganmike

Feb 2, 2011
Little history:

I was born into a JW family. At age 11 I stopped being a JW and became a general theist or deist. It was just not something I ever thought about. Then, in my late 20's I considered myself agnostic. Last year, after a lot of research, I came to a conclusion that any deity is a remote possibility. To me, the existence of a deity is on par with the chances of mythical creatures being real. Not trying to insult. I am just explaining my current situation. I now consider myself an atheist. Because I was never really exposed to a Christian environment besides my in-laws, I don't understand the salvation idea in the Christian faith. I have tried to have my wife explain it, but she can't answer all my questions. I won't go to her family because I care about them and do not want to stress our relationship. I have read the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon. These just left me with questions. So, here are some of them:

Questions:

Why was the sacrifice of a person (or any sacrifice) the only way to save the human race?

Why is salvation needed for those denominations who do not believe in original sin?

What were we saved from?

I have many others, but they may be answered with the responses to these questions. Thank you for your help.

michiganmike

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
If you want Biblical references I can provide them but it seems like you just want general answers.
Why was the sacrifice of a person (or any sacrifice) the only way to save the human race?
It wasn't the sacrifice of a person. It was the sacrifice of God incarnate. God came to die for mankind- why he loved man enough to do this, we'll never know.
God bled for us. Died for us. The punishment of sin is death- God died. Fulfilling the requirement of death.
But he wasn't done yet- he rose, thus eliminating death's grip.

Why is salvation needed for those denominations who do not believe in original sin?
I don't understand this question.
Even people that don't believe in sin at birth believe all have sinned.

What were we saved from?
Eternal torment and separation from God.

Why do you not believe in a deity now? I think you'll find all kids are born with a sense and longing for a God... Something bigger than mommy and daddy, seems like you were the same- JW and everything.
Thus, how'd you convince yourself otherwise?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Little history:

I was born into a JW family. At age 11 I stopped being a JW and became a general theist or deist. It was just not something I ever thought about. Then, in my late 20's I considered myself agnostic. Last year, after a lot of research, I came to a conclusion that any deity is a remote possibility. To me, the existence of a deity is on par with the chances of mythical creatures being real. Not trying to insult. I am just explaining my current situation. I now consider myself an atheist. Because I was never really exposed to a Christian environment besides my in-laws, I don't understand the salvation idea in the Christian faith. I have tried to have my wife explain it, but she can't answer all my questions. I won't go to her family because I care about them and do not want to stress our relationship. I have read the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon. These just left me with questions. So, here are some of them:

Hi michiganmike! First of all I just want to say that believing in a deity isn't so much of a stretch. Honestly, whats more unlikely? That an all powerful being created life, or that somehow something went bang and life just 'began'! That like saying that an explosion happened in a library and all of a sudden the books were there and arranged in alphabetical order! And also, when it comes down to it, the chances that the right 'chemicals' or 'atoms' happening together at the right time, in the right sort of environment that maybe could result in an 'explosion' the just happened to result in 'life' is so far out there, it's just silly. Honestly, atheist scientists won't tell you this, they so desperately want to believe that 'science is all', but when you do some digging, there are heaps of highly education Christian scientists, that will tell you that such random happenings just don't happen!! If you're really searching, try the series by Lee Strobel...you know, "the case for God" and the "case for Jesus" and the "case for faith". They're really good!

What were we saved from?

I'll start with this question, as it helps set up the other answers! What are we saved from? Sin. I know that's a "religion" word, but it has real life application. Look around, watch the news, hear the sirens every night, grieve for a child being horribly bullied. The world is just not right. The atrocities that people commit against one another...unbelievable and horrible. A tragedy that is largely ignored in all of this, is that it's NOT supposed to be this way. There should be no murder, rape, abuse, jealousy, greed, starvation, sickness. That is not the way God created the world. All these things came into the world when man rebelled against God...the first sin.
God told us from the very beginning, the wages of sin is death. The price for sinning, is death...blood is needed. It's because of that need that the Jewish nation held ritual sacrifices of pure animals...to atone for their sin, so that they may live.
It was an imperfect solution, however, and one that would not save people's souls. After physical death, spiritual death (hell) was still imminent. And so God, loving us, gave us an alternative:

Questions:

The only true way to be forgiven for our sin against God, was to either live a perfect life, or die for our sins. We are incapable of being perfect, and as God loves us, He doesn't wish us all to perish. And so He sent Jesus, His son, who is also fully God, to earth - where He lived a perfect life in our place, and then died the death we should have died. Once and for all, perfect blood has covered sin, and as Jesus rose to life again, so too shall everyone who believes in Jesus and loves Him, will rise again...to a new eternal life with a new eternal body.
This is the wonder of Christianity! This salvation, it's a gift! Jesus has already died for us...all we need to do is believe and accept his free gift of salvation!

"Original sin" refers to the first sin, really. Adam and Eve believed a lie...and that lie told them that they could be god. And to this day, all men, even religious ones, still try and be god...still try to rule their own lives. It's all about ME! My wants, my needs, my wealth, my pleasure. For the religious, its "My creed, my rules, respect for ME".
Christianity says "Its ALL about Jesus!" and Jesus tells us to love others, be kind to others, to reach out to others.....just as Jesus loves us, saves us, reaches out to us. Christians happily give their lives to their Savior, as His love and sacrifice gives us more joy and freedom than anyone else could dream of!!

I really hope this helps...please ask more! And I just have to say....if you're really searching...truly wanting to know the truth, what it means for you? Keep going! Jesus tells us to "knock....and he will open the door", to "seek, and you will find".

God does exist...and He loves you!

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Well, the way I see it is look around you, theres no way all of this is formed without a God, look at the universe and the different planets and creatures, i think its hard not to beleive that there is a God, its just hard for ppl to beleive in him and follow him.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Questions:

Because Gods justice is perfect, he required the equivalent of what had been lost. Adam lost his perfect human life by his sin and that sin created a debt to God...the debt was death. So Adam sinned, and he paid the debt to God through his death. You might think, Great, the debts been paid and that should be the end of the story. But no, because Adam also lost perfection for his offspring too.

We were born into a world where we are sinners, meaning we fall short of Gods perfection. We cant change that. We are born imperfect and we die and there is nothing we can do about it.

However, God knows our plight, and did something about it on our behalf. He provided another perfect man to die for us. Blood for blood, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Jesus life for our life. If we take advantage of Christs sacrifice, God will forgive us our sin so we dont have to die the way Adam did.

Because whether they believe it or not, according to God, we die because of original sin. Romans 5:12
You wont find one person who is not subject to death. Romans 5:14 Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses, even over those who had not sinned after the likeness of the transgression by Adam, who bears a resemblance to him

What were we saved from?

no one has been saved just yet. Christians are in line for salvation. But the salvation that we are hoping for will not be seen until Gods new world. See Isaiah 25:8

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Death is simply a physical manifestation of spiritual death - it can pay for nothing. Jesus experience physical and spiritual death when God turned His face from Him. He alone paid for our sins

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

If our deaths pays our debts then why did Jesus die for our sins?

because we can only pay for our own sin with death. I can't pay your debt for you, nor can you pay mine because we both owe the same debt.

Death was never a part of Gods purpose for mankind, so to remove death completely, he gave Jesus as a ransom to exchange 'life for life' Jesus could pay our debt because he did not have any debt himself...his life was unblemished.

“The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many.”—MATTHEW 20:28.

This is what makes everlasting life possible.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So Adam sinned, and he paid the debt to God through his death.

If our deaths pays our debts then why did Jesus die for our sins?

Amen DB! Adams death was the penalty of sin not a debt paid....Thousands of years later...Jesus came and paid that debt. [even for those who had died beforehand otherwise he would of had to suffer often since the foundation of the world...but now, at the end of ages, he has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. [Hebrew 9:25-28]

Be Blessed!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
because we can only pay for our own sin with death. I can't pay your debt for you, nor can you pay mine because we both owe the same debt.

Death was never a part of Gods purpose for mankind, so to remove death completely, he gave Jesus as a ransom to exchange 'life for life' Jesus could pay our debt because he did not have any debt himself...his life was unblemished.
“The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many.”—MATTHEW 20:28.

This is what makes everlasting life possible.

What a horrible deception!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well part of it is correct DB! :)

...not just his soul dear sister but his all :huh: ...perhaps it's just a misunderstanding..

Bless ya!

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

What a horrible deception!

im sure you'd agree that death is a horrible reality.

If God intended for us to die, why is so much spoken about eternal life in the scriptures?
John 3:16
John 6:40
Romans 6:23
1John 5:13

And why is death going to be done away with?
1Cor 15:26, 55
Isaiah 26:19
Revelation 20:13
Revelation 21:4

Gods promise is not a horrible deception.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Gods promise is not a horrible deception.
Never said it is. I was referring to your statement:

"So Adam sinned, and he paid the debt to God through his death."

Only the sinless Savior Jesus/God could pay our debt.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

Never said it is. I was referring to your statement:

"So Adam sinned, and he paid the debt to God through his death."

Only the sinless Savior Jesus/God could pay our debt.

I think you misunderstood.

Adam paid his own debt... not ours. Romans 6:23

Jesus paid our debt.... And if our debt is paid, then we should not have to pay it, hence why everlasting life is possible.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I think you misunderstood.

Adam paid his own debt... not ours. Romans 6:23

Jesus paid our debt.... And if our debt is paid, then we should not have to pay it, hence why everlasting life is possible.
Adam couldn't pay his own debt. He was a sinner.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MichiganMike... My mothers side of the family is from Virginia an my Dads side is from Michigan. As I was born in North Carolina and I spent my high school years up there I right away spiritual sense where you are at.

If Albert Einsteins E = mc2 theory is correct everything came together with energy and light as you can divide and conclude that m (stored energy) = E / c2 (plasma energy). And since the Father is light and energy (James 1:17... Matthew 26:64) everything in the universe is Gods and made by him. (Matthew 5:45 17:2) and is him...

I believe in Plato's Republic that God the Father is referred to as 'The Good' and 'The Good' had three children...

Mass - Cooled E / C2
Spirituality - Spiritual E / C2 (Faith, hope, charity, joy, warmth, etc)
Intelligence - Mental E / c2 (It takes energy and electricity to operate the mind!)

Having spent my High School summers with my Granny here in Virginia I always use to like to absorb the spiritual light and energy that flowed from my mothers side. We had Pentecostal revivals that would almost take me to the next world.

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.- Romans 8:22

It is my opinion that you need to find God's light and energy in your spiritual man. Get a good dose of the supernatural stuff and all your doubts will roll away. When I get to heaven that is the thing I look for the most... Gods marvelous spiritual light and energy! The thing the whole creation seeks after!