Saved Or Predestined ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Lol, of course conviction isn't conversion, because most use thier Free Will to reject what God convicts them about.
Where does it say it doesn't refer to all men? I just showed you that it does indeed refer to all, because God convicts all.
As I said, the response of the person is a different matter from the matters of conviction and conversion.

You said that it refers to all men because God convicts all. What do you mean by "convicts all"? I get the impression that you don't know what "convict of sin" means in John 16:8. So, please tell me what it means.

Tong
R202

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
So he can choose to sin but not choose to respond to God's invitation? Seems illogical. No we don't save ourselves, but we must cooperate in order to be saved.

Man was given the freedom to choose to obey or disobey, to do good or do evil. You have that problem with salvation in that, you take salvation as being about man's "free will" when it is really not, but is rather about God's.

It is man who sinned, it is God who saves.

I hope you either address this or ignore this truth. That God testified of man, that the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, and the imagination of his heart is evil from his youth. Do you realize what that means? Do you acknowledge this truth about man?

If the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, what good do you expect of man?

Tong
R203

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said, the response of the person is a different matter from the matters of conviction and conversion.

You said that it refers to all men because God convicts all. What do you mean by "convicts all"? I get the impression that you don't know what "convict of sin" means in John 16:8. So, please tell me what it means.

Tong
R202
In Psalm 51, David was convicted of his sin of adultery and confessed to the Lord, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight" (Psalm 51:3-4). He saw his sin as ultimately against God and worthy of judgment. He repented and asked for God's mercy as a result.

But most people, although convicted of sin at different times in thier lives, choose distraction, vice, and entertainment over confession, and simply harden thier hearts.
" hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron."

Describes most of the human race to one degree or another.

Conviction doesn't always lead to repentance. I was convicted many, many times and fought against it. Why do you think God asked Saul why he was kicking against the goads?

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Then you don't really believe God is in control, but only that he controls some things. I agree. Because if you say he controls all, that includes every atom in the universe and every brain cell of every human being.
It's a matter of definition Renniks. In my definition, I would not say that God is out of control of some things and that God is not in complete control of His creation, as you must have to say in yours.

Tong
R0204

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man was given the freedom to choose to obey or disobey, to do good or do evil. You have that problem with salvation in that, you take salvation as being about man's "free will" when it is really not, but is rather about God's.

It is man who sinned, it is God who saves.

I hope you either address this or ignore this truth. That God testified of man, that the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, and the imagination of his heart is evil from his youth. Do you realize what that means? Do you acknowledge this truth about man?

If the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, what good do you expect of man?

Tong
R203
Of course it's God who saves. I just said that.

You say:
" man was given the freedom to choose to obey or disobey, to do good or do evil. You have that problem with salvation in that, you take salvation as being about man's "free will" when it is really not, but is rather about God's."

No, it's not by man's will, but being willing is a condition God has set for salvation.
You quote from a verse that is from the period of time right before God destroyed all on the earth but one family. A time before the Holy Spirit has been unleashed as he was at Pentecost. Do you personally know even one person who never, ever thinks a good thought or does anything good? Even the worst people I have ever known had some good qualities. Now, yes, I believe there are people who have chosen evil so often that they are now incapable of anything good, but those are the self hardened ones. The ones who have rejected God's grace and conviction already.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I do, which we already discussed. I can't decide where to be born, for example. I can't decide my circumstances as a baby. I can, however, choose how I make use of what I'm given.
That's quite a silly statement to say ~ "I can't decide where to be born". But it's good that you said that anyway. And here's my silly statement, "I don't get to decide if I be born or not." Silly as they may sound, both are true. Since you mentioned about birth, the second birth came to mind. That's the salvation of God. As Jesus Himself said, unless the man be born again he cannot see nor enter the kingdom of God. It's silly that while it is easy for even the natural man to understand, recognize, and acknowledge that man could not decide to be born and where to be born regarding one's birth into the kingdom of this world, many Christians seems to find it very difficult, some even find it irrational, for that to be true in the second birth, regarding birth into the kingdom of God.

Tong
R0205

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
In Psalm 51, David was convicted of his sin of adultery and confessed to the Lord, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight" (Psalm 51:3-4). He saw his sin as ultimately against God and worthy of judgment. He repented and asked for God's mercy as a result.

But most people, although convicted of sin at different times in thier lives, choose distraction, vice, and entertainment over confession, and simply harden thier hearts.
" hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron."

Describes most of the human race to one degree or another.

Conviction doesn't always lead to repentance. I was convicted many, many times and fought against it. Why do you think God asked Saul why he was kicking against the goads?

As I suspected, you cited John 16:8 about the matter of conviction, but then refer to another kind of conviction. That is why I said, if my memory serves me right, that you misuse scriptures. And this is one of them.

The conviction of sin spoken of in John 16:8 is not what conviction of sin you say there. So, don't get all mixed up. The conviction of sin there in John 16:8 is the proving or declaring guilty of sin, every one of them unbelievers in Jesus Christ.

Tong
R0206

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Of course it's God who saves. I just said that.

You say:
" man was given the freedom to choose to obey or disobey, to do good or do evil. You have that problem with salvation in that, you take salvation as being about man's "free will" when it is really not, but is rather about God's."

No, it's not by man's will, but being willing is a condition God has set for salvation.
You quote from a verse that is from the period of time right before God destroyed all on the earth but one family. A time before the Holy Spirit has been unleashed as he was at Pentecost. Do you personally know even one person who never, ever thinks a good thought or does anything good? Even the worst people I have ever known had some good qualities. Now, yes, I believe there are people who have chosen evil so often that they are now incapable of anything good, but those are the self hardened ones. The ones who have rejected God's grace and conviction already.
Renniks: No, it's not by man's will, but being willing is a condition God has set for salvation.

That is a clear contradiction. Or are you really saying that it is partially by man's will. So, what is your position, is salvation not by man's will or partially by man's will? Be clear. It's either one or the other.

God's salvation, as I pointed out, as for instance in my post #726, where I said "Jesus Himself said, unless the man be born again he cannot see nor enter the kingdom of God. It's silly that while it is easy for even the natural man to understand, recognize, and acknowledge that man could not decide to be born and where to be born regarding one's birth into the kingdom of this world, many Christians seems to find it very difficult, some even find it irrational, for that to be true in the second birth, regarding birth into the kingdom of God." God did not set any condition for man to do involved there. Yet many still insist otherwise.

Renniks: You quote from a verse that is from the period of time right before God destroyed all on the earth but one family. A time before the Holy Spirit has been unleashed as he was at Pentecost.

I quoted from a verse that is from before God destroyed all mankind saved 8, and from a verse that is after the flood. Besides, is there something wrong with that?

Renniks: Do you personally know even one person who never, ever thinks a good thought or does anything good? Even the worst people I have ever known had some good qualities.

You asked a question only God can rightly answer. We only can judge from what we see and perceive using our human faculties and senses. We can't see and so really truly knows not the heart of man. And because of that, we can't really make a righteous and true judgement now, could we? So, even while we may convince ourselves that even the atheist can do good things, our judgment is only as good as much as we convince ourselves. We Christians should believe what God said in scriptures. If God said of man, that "the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, and the imagination of his heart is evil from his youth.", should we not believe God? If scriptures says, such as in Romans 7, that in man, that is in his flesh, nothing good dwells, should we not believe about the man? We should, and so believe I do.

Tong
R207

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I suspected, you cited John 16:8 about the matter of conviction, but then refer to another kind of conviction. That is why I said, if my memory serves me right, that you misuse scriptures. And this is one of them.

The conviction of sin spoken of in John 16:8 is not what conviction of sin you say there. So, don't get all mixed up. The conviction of sin there in John 16:8 is the proving or declaring guilty of sin, every one of them unbelievers in Jesus Christ.

Tong
R0206
This passage (John 16:8) explicitly says the Holy Spirit will be working on the WORLD (which is a group larger than just those who eventually become believers). And this work of the Spirit is tied to salvation and leading people to Christ. If individual election were true, then the Spirit’s work described here would only be towards a few preselected elect. But that is not what the text says. This work of the Spirit is aimed at ‘the world.’ This passage also goes very well with John 3:16.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a clear contradiction. Or are you really saying that it is partially by man's will. So, what is your position, is salvation not by man's will or partially by man's will? Be clear. It's either one or the other.
No, you are not understanding. God can set any condition he likes for salvation. If he decided that only redheads could be saved, that would be his prerogative. But what we are told over and over again in scripture is that belief is the condition for salvation. God saves, but he requires a response to his leading before he will do the work of salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:21

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's salvation, as I pointed out, as for instance in my post #726, where I said "Jesus Himself said, unless the man be born again he cannot see nor enter the kingdom of God. It's silly that while it is easy for even the natural man to understand, recognize, and acknowledge that man could not decide to be born and where to be born regarding one's birth into the kingdom of this world, many Christians seems to find it very difficult, some even find it irrational, for that to be true in the second birth, regarding birth into the kingdom of God." God did not set any condition for man to do involved there. Yet many still insist otherwise.
So, you are saying we must be born again before we can be born again? This is just Calvinists' foolishness. Belief always precedes salvation in the Word.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If scriptures says, such as in Romans 7, that in man, that is in his flesh, nothing good dwells, should we not believe about the man? We should, and so believe I do.
Man is not flesh only and man's spirit can respond to the Spirit of God.

How would anyone get saved if they didn't respond to the Holy Spirit? Scripture makes it clear that we all have a choice to follow either the Spirit or the flesh.

5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[e] his Spirit who lives in you.

Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Faith first, then salvation. God is not forcing salvation on anyone.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
This passage (John 16:8) explicitly says the Holy Spirit will be working on the WORLD (which is a group larger than just those who eventually become believers). And this work of the Spirit is tied to salvation and leading people to Christ. If individual election were true, then the Spirit’s work described here would only be towards a few preselected elect. But that is not what the text says. This work of the Spirit is aimed at ‘the world.’ This passage also goes very well with John 3:16.
My post, to which you responded to, does not say anything about the issue of the word "world" nor of individual election. So, I don't know what is your point in bringing those up here. Besides, I have already addressed the issue of the word "world" in John 16:8.

What I said in my post is the following and I quote:

"The conviction of sin spoken of in John 16:8 is not what conviction of sin you say there. So, don't get all mixed up. The conviction of sin there in John 16:8 is the proving or declaring guilty of sin, every one of them unbelievers in Jesus Christ."

That is what you ought to rebut. Read John 16:9.

Tong
R0209

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
No, you are not understanding. God can set any condition he likes for salvation. If he decided that only redheads could be saved, that would be his prerogative. But what we are told over and over again in scripture is that belief is the condition for salvation. God saves, but he requires a response to his leading before he will do the work of salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:21

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
You said "it's not by man's will, but being willing is a condition God has set for salvation." What do I not understand in your statement about salvation, that is, "it's not by man's will"? That's very clear. And then you say, man should be willing, which you say is a condition set by God. That sure contradicts your statement, at least in my understanding.

Yes there are many scriptures which say that we should believe. Such as when the keeper of the prison in Acts 16, asked of Paul "what must I do to be saved?", Paul answered him "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ". But there are also scriptures that says about the salvation of God as being born again, also as that described in the parable of the wheat and the tares, also as the gathering of lost sheep. And scriptures must not contradict scriptures. So, we study to find out the truth. Let me ask you, do you consider Gen. 3:15 as a passage about the salvation of God? If not, can you point me to the passage where we can read God spoke of His salvation of man?

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

You mentioned 1 Cor.1:21. Can you tell us what is the foolishness of the message (the gospel) preached?

Tong
R0210

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
So, you are saying we must be born again before we can be born again? This is just Calvinists' foolishness. Belief always precedes salvation in the Word.
No I am not saying that nor did I say that.

Here's what I am saying, which you didn't seem to understand.:

"Jesus Himself said, unless the man be born again he cannot see nor enter the kingdom of God. It's silly that while it is easy for even the natural man to understand, recognize, and acknowledge that man could not decide to be born and where to be born regarding one's birth into the kingdom of this world, many Christians seems to find it very difficult, some even find it irrational, for that to be true in the second birth, regarding birth into the kingdom of God."

Do you or can you decide to be born, to be born again?

Tong
R0211

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Man is not flesh only and man's spirit can respond to the Spirit of God.

How would anyone get saved if they didn't respond to the Holy Spirit? Scripture makes it clear that we all have a choice to follow either the Spirit or the flesh.

5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[e] his Spirit who lives in you.

Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Faith first, then salvation. God is not forcing salvation on anyone.
My post does not say anything about the issue that man is not only flesh or the spirit of man can respond to God.

Here's the issue in that part of my post:

If God said of man, that "the thoughts of man's heart is evil continually, and the imagination of his heart is evil from his youth.", should we not believe God? If scriptures says, such as in Romans 7, that in man, that is in his flesh, nothing good dwells, should we not believe about the man? We should, and so believe I do.

So, how about you, do you not believe those truth?

Tong
R0212

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My post, to which you responded to, does not say anything about the issue of the word "world" nor of individual election. So, I don't know what is your point in bringing those up here. Besides, I have already addressed the issue of the word "world" in John 16:8.

What I said in my post is the following and I quote:

"The conviction of sin spoken of in John 16:8 is not what conviction of sin you say there. So, don't get all mixed up. The conviction of sin there in John 16:8 is the proving or declaring guilty of sin, every one of them unbelievers in Jesus Christ."

That is what you ought to rebut. Read John 16:9.

Tong
R0209
Prove it. You just made a statement about the conviction being different, but you did not show that to be true. Nothing to rebut because you are just making stuff up.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said "it's not by man's will, but being willing is a condition God has set for salvation." What do I not understand in your statement about salvation, that is, "it's not by man's will"? That's very clear. And then you say, man should be willing, which you say is a condition set by God. That sure contradicts your statement, at least in my understanding.
Man doesn't cause his salvation by being willing, but God will not save those who are not willing. Pretty simple.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there are many scriptures which say that we should believe. Such as when the keeper of the prison in Acts 16, asked of Paul "what must I do to be saved?", Paul answered him "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ". But there are also scriptures that says about the salvation of God as being born again, also as that described in the parable of the wheat and the tares, also as the gathering of lost sheep. And scriptures must not contradict scriptures. So, we study to find out the truth. Let me ask you, do you consider Gen. 3:15 as a passage about the salvation of God? If not, can you point me to the passage where we can read God spoke of His salvation of man?
Genesis 3:15 is a prophecy about Christ. And about how he will defeat Satan at the cross. It's about salvation in that way. Of course we must be born again, and that first requires belief. I see no contradiction. God gathers those who believe. Jesus gives to the father those who choose to listen and follow Jesus. He"who has ears let him hear." Meaning we have to listen in order to follow. Ever notice that we can at times make ourselves unable to hear the Spirit? We can distract ourselves with worries or fear or just spiritual laziness, and drown him out. God rarely shouts. It's the same before salvation. We can shut down our ears are refuse to listen to his conviction., We will never become saved until we let go of that pride that blinds and deafens us.
Titus 3:5
Tells us God saves us by his mercy. The same chapter also makes it clear we must trust in him to be saved or remain saved.

"I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good."

There's no contradiction between God saving by his mercy and the condition of trusting him.