Should members need to disclose their denomination?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The present situation makes it hard to raise serious theological issues without the topic being hijacked by members pushing fringe theologies. Anyway thanks for all who participated in this discussion.

Is a denomination a theological issue or an issue of a carnal religious outer man looking for a favourite scheme for salvation?

Is the faith of the apostles a fringe theology?

Things to ponder.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are on a Trinitarian Christian forum which adopted the policy to encourage attacks on the deity of Jesus Christ.
Can you elaborate on this point?

It seems to me that trinitarians do acknowledge Christ as God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard there are over 35,000 Christian denominations. Obviously, it is not practical to learn about them all before choosing one. Most people prefer not to travel too far. So my guess is proximity is a major factor in choosing a denomination, after family heritage.

I was raised Roman Catholic and could walk to my parish. Where the nearest Protestant denomination was from my house growing up, I could not say.

My family of origin openly stated what beliefs they did not share with the RCC but this did not drive them into the arms of a more representative denomination. I strayed from the flock. They were annoyed but glad that I was at least going to a church ... pass the potatoes and mind you, keep your powder dry.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure adding a denomination to a persons profile would save any arguing, people can type anything they want when they come to a forum. It doesn’t actually prove a single thing.

It would help some, Rita. As I stated, for those willing to be honest, it gives both the mature and those new in the faith a better understanding from the outset of what they are actually dealing with, and for those who are being deceitful it exposes their dishonesty, similar to the problem of people using multiple identities.
When you enter a church do you have to offer a description of what you believe, or are you welcomed as a visitor and encouraged to stay and share fellowship. Half the time you don’t know who you are sitting next too and discussions and debates take place in smaller groups.

No, but then there is generally not nearly the debate going on in most churches that you have here, and debate is why the need exists.
Never before in all my years of encountering other believers in different environments have I encountered so many that accuse others of not being a Christian than here In this forum. Even on this thread it has happened. So many wear a hat of judgement over others.

Now THIS I fully agree with. I am bothered by the non-Trinitarian stance, as I consider it to be very serious heresy against the established doctrine of the church, but I have publicly stated several times that I do not think such a belief disqualifies someone from being a Christian, any more than those who teach there is no Hell (which is an even more serious sin, IMO). Even the Gnostics, who teach that the Old Testament God is actually Satan, were not excluded from Christian congregations in the first century, though they were called to repentance over such teachings, sometimes by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself (Revelation 2:20-23). As I stated, we've had Gnostics invade this forum en masse before as well, and I didn't judge them over their doctrines either but attempted to lead them to the truth. This is an open forum.

But please understand, I believe in getting to the heart of an issue with someone (doctrinally, spiritually or morally), and this is why I think requiring others to accurately identify would curb arguments somewhat. Gnosticism, Seventh Day Adventism, Jehovahs Witness, Catholicism, Mormonism, and numerous others are all highly involved and complex systems of doctrine. It saves those who disagree with their doctrines a great deal of time if they know what they are dealing with going in.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on this point?
The statement of faith, board rules, all of it affirms this board is for those who believe in the Trinity of God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and that questions are allowed, but only that, not the determined onslaughts we've been seeing in increasing numbers. Which are specifically being allowed.

Much love!

Reactions: Carl Emerson

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect your mother did not name you "Hidden In Him." :D

No, no. That would have been almost as bad as if she just looked through a newspaper at random, and named me after a pair of jeans.

4c06fe13ad3c33e8c1b3a78492a6a4e8.jpg

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Bible teaches us against endless arguments and arguing over words, and all sorts of things that are routine here, so maybe something could benefit by dying?
so stop arguing?
Which would you prefer . . . ad clicks, or spiritual building up? Or are you thinking these are mutually agreeable?
look at you, asking questions now :D

um, man, marks, i feel you here, but a guy has to eat, right? so i dunno if they are mutually agreeable, but i do see in it a model of irl that is imo sorely lacking most other places, or they are trying it but with waaay too heavy a hand imo, and i see you are changing, and as grudgingly as might have put it a year ago—when i was banned—i gotta admit that this forum has changed me too, which i guess i obv needed, huh?

so what im trying to get at is, find a way to coexist with the trolls here, who after all need this place the most, and although you def dont come to mind as needing this next part much, understand when you are being forgiven too, which imo is double hard as a forum operator, and more or less requires some Catholic background, at least in my experience
And some would have banned you a long time ago, and so what?
ha well they did, right

Not all things edify
well, what part are you trying to get edified, marks? i often dont agree with you, your posts, per se, but i also often gain insights from them, even if they only register later

i can tell you something that might be hard to believe; if i were to suddenly, or even gradually start agreeing with all your stuff, it would come to drive you nuts too! It is only by being disagreed with that we grow imo.

Mutual admiration clubs . . . is that what harmonious discussion seems in your eyes?
well, its just…could you post an example of what seems to you to be an “edifying” discussion? if this thread isnt appropriate for that, start another even

But just the same, we are in fact on a Trinitarian forum, which makes quite clear that's what it is, but in name only now
trinitarian is a murky concept anyway, dont you think? Tbh i suspect that a big part of the concept is about…well, the same thing as having God’s Name be all vowels, YHWH. AEOU, pronounce that :)

anyway, you think a division of trinitarian/unitarian might be in order, i take it?
It's amazing what happens when you have commercial goals intertwined with spiritual pursuits. And it's also amazing to me, how completely different life, and social interactions are, in the Spirit, rather than the flesh
and the two shall become one?
And towards what part of a man does controversy attract?
this is a great q im thinking, will hafta marinate on that one :)

Reactions: amadeus

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It would help some, Rita. As I stated, for those willing to be honest, it gives both the mature and those new in the faith a better understanding from the outset of what they are actually dealing with, and for those who are being deceitful it exposes their dishonesty, similar to the problem of people using multiple identities.

No, but then there is generally not nearly the debate going on in most churches that you have here, and debate is why the need exists.

But please understand, I believe in getting to the heart of an issue with someone (doctrinally, spiritually or morally), and this is why I think requiring others to accurately identify would curb arguments somewhat. Gnosticism, Seventh Day Adventism, Jehovahs Witness, Catholicism, Mormonism, and numerous others are all highly involved and complex systems of doctrine. It saves those who disagree with their doctrines a great deal of time if they know what they are dealing with going in.

I take your point about the debates, yes the environment here is different to a church. I think the point of my comment was from the aspect of when a person wants to join the forum.
The other aspect is that within the membership there are different motives for joining. I came here to connect with other Christians , not actually to debate and argue ( although that did happen in my first few years )
Many come here purely and simply to ‘preach ‘ to others…….they very rarely come here to listen.

Many consider that they have nothing to learn, that ‘ they have arrived ‘ that they are ‘ mature ‘ …..
Pride take many forms.
Hmm, I guess the only way you would be able to evaluate if it made a difference would be to trial it ,but I a, pretty sure that would be up to the owners not the main moderators , after all it was the owners who set things up in the first place and chose how a person should register.
Rita

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statement of faith, board rules, all of it affirms this board is for those who believe in <gravity> and that questions are allowed, but only that, not the determined onslaughts we've been seeing in increasing numbers. Which are specifically being allowed.

Knowledge does not advance by stifling questions. Rather, it is intense scrutiny that is the cause of truth to be discovered in that it cannot be refuted. Consider gravity. Not too many successful onslaughts. Yet, there was a successful onslaught to gravity.

However, it is not gravity, per se, that was overcome by Einstein over Newton. It was our understanding of gravity that was refined. So it is with all things. Praise God! Praise Christianityboards!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, no. That would have been almost as bad as if she just looked through a newspaper at random, and named me after a pair of jeans.
As my mother tells the story, it's what she saw draped over the chair at the moment of my conception. ;)

For those of you who take me far too seriously and do not embrace figurative use of language. We are both joking. :D

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many come here purely and simply to ‘preach ‘ to others…….they very rarely come here to listen.

Yeah, I think trying to cram one's beliefs down everyone else's throat leads to a lot of self-defense mechanisms. Reminds me of this incident right here.

'Rapist' dials 911 after being struck by frying pan during 'attack'
A WOULD-BE rapist ended up calling the police for himself after his intended victim smashed him in the face with a frying pan.

• 0_32700

Frank Harrison, 46, allegedly entered the woman's hotel room at 5.30am brandishing a knife at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Tewksbury, Massachusetts.

After stopping her from leaving he then attempted to sexually assault her, according to police.

However his alleged victim put up a fight and grabbed the kitchen utensil and struck him multiple times.

As our picture shows Harrison was left with a shocking bump to the head which made it look as if he had gone 12 rounds with Floyd Mayweather.

0_32701

Reactions: Rita

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all questions are fit.

Hath God REALLY said?

Much love!
and yet questions are good . WHOSE IMAGE and superscription is this ........
I think it wise to ask questions . As for denominations , I SAY JUST FOLLOW CHRIST . Men do as men do ,
But lambs shall follow Christ .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and yet questions are good . WHOSE IMAGE and superscription is this ........
I think it wise to ask questions . As for denominations , I SAY JUST FOLLOW CHRIST . Men do as men do ,
But lambs shall follow Christ .

2 Timothy 2:23 KJV
But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Titus 3:9 KJV
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Not all questions are good.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:23 KJV
But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Titus 3:9 KJV
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Not all questions are good.

Much love!
Yes indeed my friend . NOT all questions are good . Some are , and some AINT .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's not too much love in that post.

God wants none to perish. So, who are you to determine what questions fit? What agenda do you have to exclude some where God wants none to perish?

Not to be guilty of ambiguity . . .

I didn't say I was the one to determine which questions are fit, therefore your question of "who am I" is misplaced. I have no agenda to exclude anyone from salvation, so this question is presumptuous.

Do you find asking misplaced and presumptuous questions to be helpful? What do you hope to happen when you ask questions such as these?

Much love!

PS . . . I realize you aren't finding the love I'm attempting to share, but I really do want the best for you, and write these things hoping you'll give it some consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.