SIN

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been thinking about sin and I think there are misconceptions about what SIN actually consists of and people get confused.

I have been taught that SIN is falling short of the mark, missing the target – I believe it was an archery word. And right since Adam and Eve people have fallen short of God’s mark

Original sin comes from the fact that Adam and Eve disobeyed God and became separated from him because of it. And since that time we are all born with that separation from God hanging over us.

Once we accept Jesus we are no longer separated from God but we are reconciled to him so we no longer have that Original Sin in our lives.

What we do have however, is the on-going day to day wrong-doings, wrong thoughts etc that we deem to be sinful. And it God himself through the Holy Spirit that helps us to cast off these bad things in our lives so that bit by bit, little by little we are able to be more like Jesus.

We can’t do it alone. We need the Holy Spirit 24/7 to guide us through the pitfalls and obstacles that the world tempts us with.

Because we have accepted Jesus and been reconciled to God and are now part of his family we are no longer sinners but saints who need our Father’s help in becoming like Jesus our brother who is perfect in every way.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once we accept Jesus we are no longer separated from God but we are reconciled to him so we no longer have that Original Sin in our lives.

What we do have however, is the on-going day to day wrong-doings, wrong thoughts etc that we deem to be sinful. And it God himself through the Holy Spirit that helps us to cast off these bad things in our lives so that bit by bit, little by little we are able to be more like Jesus.
I love the simplicity of these truths!

Much love!

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about sin and I think there are misconceptions about what SIN actually consists of and people get confused.

I have been taught that SIN is falling short of the mark, missing the target – I believe it was an archery word. And right since Adam and Eve people have fallen short of God’s mark

Original sin comes from the fact that Adam and Eve disobeyed God and became separated from him because of it. And since that time we are all born with that separation from God hanging over us.

We can’t do it alone. We need the Holy Spirit 24/7 to guide us through the pitfalls and obstacles that the world tempts us with.

Because we have accepted Jesus and been reconciled to God and are now part of his family we are no longer sinners but saints who need our Father’s help in becoming like Jesus our brother who is perfect in every way.

I think once we ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, we knew right from wrong. I think sin is simply the "wrong" in the world. We know in our hearts if it is wrong or right. We recognize the sin more clearly now and we do not want it.

Reactions: Not me

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think once we ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, we knew right from wrong. I think sin is simply the "wrong" in the world. We know in our hearts if it is wrong or right. We recognize the sin more clearly now and we do not want it.
@Mantis Yes, and Hebrews 9.14 shows we need the conscience to be purged from dead works by the blood of Christ through the eternal Spirit.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have known people to beat themselves up because they don't feel good enough for God even though they are Christians. They tend to dwell more on their own wrongs than God's grace.

I see. God has been dealing with me about that.

Reactions: Not me and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see. God has been dealing with me about that.
It's my continuing battle, the temptation to think that if somehow if I can make myself better God will "accept me more". I just remind myself, I can't add to what Jesus did.

Much love!

Reactions: Not me

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The law reveals what sin is. This is the definition of sin yes the OP was absolutely correct sin is missing the mark, falling short. Like the example used an archer missing the target. Paul defines what sin is by breaking the Law which in Hebrew is the word Torah which is not a negative connotation like it is in our modern English thought. The English word law is a very very poor word used to translate Torah. Torah in Hebrew thought means teaching and instruction and when read in the pictograph Hebrew is shows the picture of our Messiah on the cross making covenant.

NKJ Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Rom 4:15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression.

Rom 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Paul proclaims that the Torah (the teachings and instructions of Yahweh) are good and holy.

Sin is the breaking of the teachings and instructions of Yahweh, just like the OP said Adam and Eve sinned by breaking the first 2 commandments given, i.e., Torah.

Shalom

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sin is the corrupted stated of the unsanctified stated of a believer's soul.

Reactions: Pearl

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi, interesting contemplation(s) scripture also says; what is not of faith is sin…

Have thought it was because all of man is sin, so a looking away from itself was the only thing it could do to be free from all the sin itself was.

Be blessed in the contemplating…

A fellow follower, Not me