Soul winning as taught by Paul, and the Apostles.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
prov11:30 the fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he that winneth souls us wise.
When God saved Saul/Paul he went to work learning ,teaching, and preaching the things concerning the Kingdom of God.

Searching the scriptures we can see a clear model emerge of Paul's soul winning efforts.
He always established the bible as it is on truth the word of God.
He either quoted it, or taught its contents as all scripture speaks of Jesus.
In this thread we will explore how we are to follow Paul's biblical example.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
prov11:30 the fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he that winneth souls us wise.
When God saved Saul/Paul he went to work learning ,teaching, and preaching the things concerning the Kingdom of God.

Searching the scriptures we can see a clear model emerge of Paul's soul winning efforts.
He always established the bible as it is on truth the word of God.
He either quoted it, or taught its contents as all scripture speaks of Jesus.
In this thread we will explore how we are to follow Paul's biblical example.
In Acts 17,Paul is found reasoning with men in the temple,from the scriptures .The terms opening and alleging, are legal terms...he laid out a case from scripture .

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In Acts 17,Paul is found reasoning with men in the temple,from the scriptures .The terms opening and alleging, are legal terms...he laid out a case from scripture .
Paul used whatever was appropriate. Of course when speaking to Jews he used scripture.
But in Acts 17:12 onwards he was speaking to pagan Athenians. He did not argue from scripture but argued from reason and nature, and even from their own writings (vs 28).

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul used whatever was appropriate. Of course when speaking to Jews he used scripture.
But in Acts 17:12 onwards he was speaking to pagan Athenians. He did not argue from scripture but argued from reason and nature, and even from their own writings (vs 28).
Exactly. Acts 17:16-34 proves this. Paul reasoned at the synagogue. But in his sermon on Mars Hill Paul reasoned to the pagan audience in their own context. He did not argue against their idolatry but reasoned that God is the Unknown God they worship in ignorance and God cannot be contained in earthly temples.

This is the example God has given us as well. He did not make teach us to come to Him. He came to us. While we were sinners He came into our world as one of us to free us from the bondage of sin.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. Acts 17:16-34 proves this. Paul reasoned at the synagogue. But in his sermon on Mars Hill Paul reasoned to the pagan audience in their own context. He did not argue against their idolatry but reasoned that God is the Unknown God they worship in ignorance and God cannot be contained in earthly temples.

This is the example God has given us as well. He did not make teach us to come to Him. He came to us. While we were sinners He came into our world as one of us to free us from the bondage of sin.
Yes, when teaching you always want to reach as person in terms that they will understand. And do so with humility, your love (and Christ's love) shining thorough.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, when teaching you always want to reach as person in terms that they will understand. And do so with humility, your love (and Christ's love) shining thorough.
You know it is strange how our world has changed. When I was young it seems most people accepted Scripture to an extent. We used EE and the Romans Road when I was a teenager going home to home speaking with people.

But now most people outside of the church do not accept Scripture at all. They view the Bible as human inspiration at best, man made dogma to control others at worst.

But the gospel reaches through all of this. I think it is because we all (saved or not) have a general revelation through Creation. Men may not know God, but at some level they know their own sin (they know they gave missed the mark of whatever standard exists).

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well they did not have scripture so Paul could not just "quote scripture to them left and right because he hadn't established it yet.
So what he does as his whole argumentation is based on scripture it's based on the God who is creator the God that they don't know. the fall and other things are in his thinking and it's clear that he follows the biblical scriptural model to a establish why the words that he preaches to them of the gospel are indeed good news

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But this is just the beginning. At one point God wants us to seek for Him...to ask and knock...to desire to be where He is. But we learn to love because He first loved us. However, we don't stop with Him reaching out to us. We should also go to Him when we are ready.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 9:19-23
9:19. For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. 23. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo,
[Paul used whatever was appropriate. Of course when speaking to Jews he used scripture.]

Yes this became his pattern

[But in Acts 17:12 onwards he was speaking to pagan Athenians. He did not argue from scripture but argued from reason and nature, and even from their own writings (vs 28)]

Before that we read this;

10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

13 But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.

Scripture preached, scripture searched. Scripture was central.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostle Paul always based His soul winning squarely on SCRIPTURE.

Let's watch how this chosen vessel of God does that very thing with these ungodly carnal philosophers and those persons wholly given over to idolatry.

παιδαγωγός
noflash.gif

(Strong's #3807 — Noun Masculine — paidagogos — pahee-dag-o-gos' )
"a guide," or "guardian" or "trainer of boys," lit., "a child-leader" (pais, "a boy, or child," ago, "to lead"), "a tutor," is translated "instructors" in 1 Corinthians 4:15 , AV (RV, "tutors"); here the thought is that of pastors rather than teachers; in Galatians 3:24,25 , AV, "schoolmaster" (RV, "tutor,"), but here the idea of instruction is absent. "In this and allied words the idea is that of training, discipline, not of impartation of knowledge. The paidagogos was not the instructor of the child; he exercised a general supervision over him and was responsible for his moral and physical well-being. Thus understood, paidagogos is appropriately used with 'kept in ward' and 'shut up,' whereas to understand it as equivalent to 'teacher' introduces an idea entirely foreign to the passage, and throws the Apostle's argument into confusion." * [* From Notes on Galatians, by Hogg and Vine, pp. 163,164] Cp. epitropos, "a steward, guardian, tutor

So as we observe Paul we are to emulate what he does if we have such ability..we see that here;
Phil 3:13-20
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo
]But in Acts 17:12 onwards he was speaking to pagan Athenians. He did not argue from scripture but argued from reason and nature, and even from their own writings (vs 28).]

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Paul takes a reading on who he is talking to, and adjusts his presentation using scripture

Do these men know scripture like those in the temples and synagogues?
No, not at all....So does Paul abandon scripture and tell stories about puppy dogs, and unicorns, and crack jokes? Does he give them a long discussion about philosophy...No? He uses one example of something they relate to get their attention as He is going to introduce a biblical understanding of the world using scriptural teaching as his core, yet putting it into words that the Spirit can use to bear witness to them

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Paul speaks of God who is the creator and Lord of all. How does Paul know this? SCRIPTURE.
Paul speaks of Heaven , and how the true God is to be worshipped. How does he know this?SCRIPTURE.

25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Is he just making things up randomly, or is everything he is saying available in SCRIPTURE?

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
He speaks of the absolute sovereignty of God over all men everywhere
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

How did Paul know this? what is his teaching based on? SCRIPTURE

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

Paul says we should be followers of him.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here is the same pattern;
Acts 18 King James Version (KJV)
18 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;

2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them.

3 And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.

4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.

6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean; from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

Many resist the doctrines of grace. The text describes that they oppose themselves.
Paul would explain how this takes place;
2 Timothy 2 King James Version (KJV)
2 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

and then;
7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Scripture based teaching linked from promise, to fulfillment...drawn from SCRIPTURE.

THEN THIS;
14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

When men turn from scripture and a grace based gospel all that they turn to is;
not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
But shun profane and vain babblings

A person filled with wrong teaching, seeks to undermine true teaching

then this;
17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

We see this so often, confused persons, bitter, jealous trying to take others down. To obey Paul we must request they go away, or in some way depart from them if they will not listen to scripture
Watch as Paul explains the guidelines;
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

No one snowflake thinks it is the cause of the avalanche.
Let us resolve to talk more to believers about the Bible when we meet them. Alas, the conversation of Christians, when they do meet, is often sadly unprofitable! How many frivolous, and trifling, and uncharitable things are said!